Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

Alright You Hippies and Green Eaters, Gimmie Some Recipes
    #5981334 - 08/20/06 12:08 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Doctor told me I'm on the fast track to death if I don't change my ways.  Heard it before, but this time it struck me differently.  I already weight train several times per week(look to be in good shape, but the internals are apparently fux0r3d), so eating healthy is something I should be doing anyhow.  I've changed my diet somewhat to benefit my training, but it's time to go all out.  My goal is one month of healthy eating, so I need ~30 recipes.  Gotta be low-sodium, low-fat type stuff.  Preferably fish, nuts, salads(no dressings, I hate the stuff) and vegetables.

Although I'd rather die happy than healthy, there's a few things I have to get out of the way first.  If there's no noticeable difference in cholesterol, blood pressure and whatnot after the 30 days, then fuck it. 

Now, lay em on me  :laugh:

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Alright You Hippies and Green Eaters, Gimmie Some Recipes [Re: daimyo]
    #5981477 - 08/20/06 01:36 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I'm trying to get off the red meat. It's really hard though since meat is relatively cheap and fucking everywhere, and I can't exactly afford to eat whatever I want whenever I want. That said I do know a few things about how to eat healthy as shit.. (even though I don't always do it..) and am a firm believer in the fact that the right diet can vastly improve and even reverse many diseases and even cancer.

But I usually stick with the basics. I don't know too many recipes and I'm not the greatest cook in the world, so when I can I'll usually just chop up some veggies lightly steam them and make some type of dish. I can't give you a bunch of recipes unless I pull them off the internet.. but what I can do is give you some general advice.

So you got the right idea with fish, nuts, lots of green leafy stuff, and veggies. But DON'T forget fruit, beans, rice, and whole grains, etc. Very important.

Eat raw food as much as possible. Stay away from frying and boiling things, unless you're making some soup. You got a grill and know how to use it.. cooking with fire is ideal. For veggies.. don't overcook them.... you kill most of the enzymes and lose vitamins if you do that. Eat them raw if you can, or if they must be cooked.. lightly steaming or pressure cooking them is ideal. Or cooking in some foil on the grill or something. Don't peel carrots, cucumbers, potatoes, etc. Most of the vitamins are just under the skin. Just scrub/wash them and go at it. In the case of potatoes the skin is very important to eat as not only does it contain all the vitamins but it is also very alkaline, which balances out with the starch of the 'meat' of the potato.

Structure your meals around your days. Eat like 5-6 smaller meals a day instead of 3 big ones. For breakfast you could go for something like raw fruit.. whatever floats your boat.. canteloupe, strawberries, watermelon, grapefruit, oranges, grapes, etc. Top that off with something like whole grain bread or oatmeal, (oatmeal is extremely good for you all around.. and also very good at lowering cholesterol.. I suggest eating that almost every day) and maybe some yogurt and some nuts or something. Generally you don't want to mix more than 3 types of fruit in one meal, and you don't want to mix fruits and veggies in the same meal. Eat lots of oranges..
Don't sweeten things with sugar. Use honey instead.

For lunch you could go with something like a salad with fresh raw veggies (olive oil is your friend...use it in everything you can), pasta with tomato/basil sauce, wild rice and beans, couscous, maybe some steamed veggies like eggplant or squash or green beans or whatever you like. You can make all kinds of varieties of dishes. Broccoli and asparagus are fucken good.

Dinner is a good time for dishes that take a little more time. When I have the time I like to make soups and stews.. usually vegetarian style. I'll pressure cook a couple potatoes (this is absolutely the best way to cook a potato..).. lightly saute some garlic and onions (probably the only time I fry something), then I'll toss all that into a pot and add whatever I fancy... I always add beans. Usually that 12 bean variety. Something with lentils in it. I'll add some rice, carrots, celery, and maybe some eggplant or whatever else I have that might be good. Then just flavor it with some fresh herbs and a bit of salt. Just experiment. Let it simmer for a while and you got yourself a healthy ass stew.  Usually eat that with some whole grain bread or something.

I really like fish too. So I like to grill me up some fish, or broil it in the oven for a few minutes. Don't go crazy with butter. Fish is pretty easy.. I'll eat the shit raw but I usually cook it at least a little. Depending on the type of fish I'll add different seasonings.. but I usually stick with something simple like a little salt and pepper, maybe some lemon juice, dill or whatever. Don't want to overseason fish. I'll usually eat a fish dish with a side of steamed veggies, and some beans and rice or something.

Stir Fry is amazing as well.

For snacks during the day... eat fruit. Like I said earlier oranges are VERY good for you and I suggest you eat a lot of them. Same with lemons but those aren't exactly the most palatable fruit. Raisins are a good snack food and so are nuts. Almonds and Walnuts being among my favorites. Pita bread and hummus is a good filler food,  as is some whole grain bread with peanut butter.. (go for the raw peanut butter with no sugar.. and add honey for sweetener.. it's fucking good.. and good for you)

But yeah.. try to lay off coffee and alcohol or at least cut down. Doesn't exactly help things. Drink tons of water. If you have a juicer.. that thing can be your best friend. Juice some carrots, that shit is good. Make fruit smoothies. Drink orange juice. Don't drink cow milk.

So as an overview

Things to avoid:
Fried, processed, fatty foods. Refined sugars, milk, alcohol, red meat in general. Eggs and the like. Things with "hydrogenated vegetable oils" in it. Cheese made from cows milk  :crazy:

Things to eat:
A wide variety of whole, raw foods. LOTS of fresh fruits and vegetables, not neglecting leafy greens at all. Whole grains, lean fish, nuts, legumes, and lots of water. Olive oil. Honey instead of sugar. Fresh fruit juices. Lots of vegetables. Lots of fruit. Lots of vegetables. Lots of Fruit. Whole grains. Legumes. Water. Water. Water. Try goat cheese instead.

(did I mention cayenne pepper is your friend?)

I'll see if I can dig you up some recipes.
Best of luck to ya.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Alright You Hippies and Green Eaters, Gimmie Some Recipes [Re: Shroomism]
    #5981499 - 08/20/06 01:51 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

here's a couple good sites I found with lots of recipes..
http://www.ivu.org/recipes/
http://www.veganchef.com/

add some fish here and there and you're golden.

--------------------

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#5981517 - 08/20/06 01:57 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

ok i have a similar problem except i'm vegetarian ( dietary cholesterol is a factor of high cholesterol, but not the primary one. that's why i managed to get high cholesterol w/o eating any meat ).

you should avoid simple carbs like sugars ( fruit and stuff is really good, but not actual sugar and sweet stuff )/refined carbs like those in white bread.

Honestly, I don't think you need to completely rework your diet ( partly because you'll hate it ), just replace the unhealthy stuff with healthy stuff, like white bread with whole wheat bread or splenda instead of sugar. It's beneficial to have 25g of soy protein a day to help your heart, so maybe get boca burgers as they have a decent amount of soy protein and are tasty.

Also, you should do cardio ( HIIT if you want to get it over with quickly ) like twice a week for health reasons.

one last thing- 30 days really isn't much time for cholesterol, it takes like 6 months to make a significant change in it.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Alright You Hippies and Green Eaters, Gimmie Some Recipes [Re: vampirism]
    #5981547 - 08/20/06 02:12 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I'm very wary of splenda. I don't trust it like I never trusted aspartame back when everyone thought it was the best thing to use instead of sugar before they found out it causes cancer. I'll just use honey instead of sugar.. it tastes better to me anyway. You're very right about the soy protein thing.. and also the cardio which I forgot to mention. Even if it's just getting some cardio from walking around during the day, that's good.

I don't know about significantly lowering cholesterol in 30 days. If you completely change your diet it can most definitely be done, but most people require a slow reworking of their diet over time and won't adjust overnight to a complete diet change. But I did. I just gotta lay off the sugar. They put it in fucking everything.

--------------------

Offlinehobbitxkillyou
Shark wrestlingchampion

Loc: Pennsylvania
    #5981555 - 08/20/06 02:16 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Here's a fish meal I made for my vegetarian g/f while camping. It's 15-20 minutes prep time, maybe 15-20 minutes cooking time.

Broiled (I think?) fish with veggies:

Ingrediants:
a FAT tuna steak (or any kind of fish, really)
A whole green pepper
A whole hot banana pepper
portabello mushroom
red onion
a whole carrot
2 whole lemons
a stick of butter
basil leaves
salt and pepper

First cut up all your veggies. The size isn't too important, however big you want them, cut them as such. I had medium sized pieces of everything, not to big, but big enough to look like alot of substance (which it is.) Don't cut the lemons at this point.

First get a decent size square of tinfoil and lay if on the grill. Fold the four ends up, this is the start of your "packet." Add the butter to the packet. I just eye-balled it, and put four healthy sized slices of butter near the corners, used about half a stick of butter. Season both sides of the tuna steak with the basil leaves and the salt and pepper and lay it in the middle of the packet. Toss in all your veggies. Now cut the 2 lemons in half and squeeze the juice onto the fish and all the veggies, and toss the lemon halves in with eveything. Now get another square of tinfoil and cover everything, fold the edges of the two foil halves together, seeling the "packet" as best as you can, doesn't have to be perfect.

Close the grill and cook it on about medium temperature. At this point, you can either flip the entire packet (which is hard) or open it and flip the fish inside (this is what I did). When you open the packet, the bottom half of the fish should be a pleasent white color, instead of the red raw fish color. Flip the fish over and close the packet as best you can. Leave it cook for five or 10 more minutes. To check if it's done, just make a cut in the middle of the fish, and if its white through the middle, its done.

This was probably the tastiest meal I have every made. I did this on a weber gas camping grill, in the dark with just a flashlight, it's very easy. You can add or subtract any number of vegetables, or use a different kind of fish if you'd prefer. We just went to the grocery store and picked out what caught our eye.

Enjoy.

--------------------
When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro.

-H. S. Thompson

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #5981871 - 08/20/06 04:38 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Here's a start:

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3031321

This site also has information about the long-term changes in diet and exercise which will have the most impact on your cardiovascular health.

Best of health to you!  :smile:

(BTW, the previously-posted fish/veggie recipe is great, except for the stick of butter!  :eek:  A little veggie broth in the foil pack is a non-fat way to moisten the fish & veggies while they steam over the grill/fire.)

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#5982084 - 08/20/06 06:20 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

well aspartame really isn't that bad either, it causes cancer in obscene amounts. The stuff in Splenda is actually naturally occuring from what I understand - like 99.9% of table sugar is sucrose but then there's a little sucralose in it. What brought about Splenda was that they managed to find a good way to manufacture just sucralose.

It occurs to me how much I've learned from bodybuilders/body information in recent months.. These people use splenda in just about everything on a very regular basis and they haven't mentioned any problems.. Mind you- these are the same people who occasionally die because they drank too much water.

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#5982088 - 08/20/06 06:23 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

oh, also theres the portfolio diet supported by the american heart association

http://www.portfolioeatingplan.com/

apparently one month of it will have the same effects as cholesterol medicine on your cholesterol levels, minus the side effects. youre not going to be able to find something more effective imo, but it's hard to pull off.

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
    #5982612 - 08/20/06 10:43 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Ever see them idiots guide books?

I love them.. Ive read the idiots guide to vitamins and minerals twice now..  Still cant remember crap.

Theirs an idiots guide to dieting which Im sure should give you answers to questions you havnt even thought of..

With that said..  All of us know how to eat healthy.  As for things that eat cholesterol from your system?  I have no clue.  Im sure that the answer is in an idiots guide book though... :thumbup:

Here is a good fish dish thats high in protein and low in sodium and has lots of green too.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rue#Post5288792

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Re: Alright You Hippies and Green Eaters, Gimmie Some Recipes [Re: GabbaDj]
    #5983330 - 08/21/06 08:44 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

That is really not a healthy recipe, but it could be.

Low-sodium Ritz crackers get 45% of their calories from fat, and that fat is mostly in "trans" form, which is the MOST unhealthy fat for humans.  The remainder of their calories is from simple carbs, also not recommended for humans.  A serving of Ritz is FIVE crackers, and your recipe includes an entire package.  :eek:

Nutrition facts for Low-sodium Ritz crackers:
http://www.cyberdiet.com/modules/wl/ni/ni/showLabel.cgi?food_num=21009&csc=3J

Additionally, Campbell's Cream of Celery soup is NOT a health food!

http://www.campbellawayfromhome.com/detailspdf.asp?code=48&what=print

1/2 cup of condensed soup gets 42% of its' calories from fat, and has 750 mg of sodium!!

I would recommend replacing the Ritz crackers with plain (i.e. no oils added) whole wheat breadcrumbs & using Campbells Healthy Request Cream of Celery soup.  The finished recipe will still taste delicious, but will be MUCH lower in fat, have no trans-fats, be low-sodium AND high-fiber.  :thumbup:

Offlinelowdominion
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: new england
    #5983544 - 08/21/06 10:57 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Easy Vegetable Curry

1 (1-pound) bag mixed frozen vegetables
2/3 cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground coriander
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground cinnamon
2 medium cloves garlic, crushed
3 dried red chiles, stems and seeds removed if less heat is desired
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Black pepper, optional

Poke several holes in the bag of frozen vegetables and microwave on high for 2 to 3 minutes or until thawed. Set aside.
In medium mixing bowl, whisk together yogurt and cornstarch. Set aside.

Heat oil in a 10-inch, non-reactive saute pan over medium-high heat. Add cumin seeds, fennel seeds and mustard seeds, cover pan with a splatter screen, and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to pop. Once they begin to pop, turn the heat down to medium, and add turmeric, onion powder, coriander, cinnamon, garlic, and chiles. Saute until garlic turns golden brown in color, approximately 3 to 5 minutes. Gently add the vegetables, sugar, salt and pepper, if desired, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until vegetables are heated through. Remove vegetables from heat, pour into bowl with yogurt mixture, and stir to combine. Remove chiles if desired, and serve immediately.

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

#5983862 - 08/21/06 01:26 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks everyone. I will be trying hobbitxkillyou's fish recipe(stock instead of butter) and lowdominion's curry this week.

I actually had skim milk today. Felt like a weirdo the moment I poured it. Looks watery and doesn't taste like my usual whole milk. Oh well, I'll get used to it.

Keep the recipes coming.

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #5983928 - 08/21/06 01:59 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Try soy milk. Skim milk is glorified puss water. And soy is actually good for you in moderation. Consumption of cow's milk is actually linked to a plethora of diseases including but not limited to diabetes and heart disease.

Milk vs Soy - nutrition
http://www.indoindians.com/food/soy.htm

Milk and disease..
http://articles.animalconcerns.org/ar-voices/archive/milk_problems.html
http://www.sciencenews.org/pages/sn_arc99/6_26_99/fob2.htm
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query...9&dopt=Abstract
http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/homogenization.html

--------------------

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

#5983946 - 08/21/06 02:08 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I'm still trying to cope with the hippification of skim milk. Now you want me to drink soy juice? Fuuucck. I'm gonna have to order some patchouli.

Does it have the same amount of protein as regular milk? Eh fuck it, I'll look it up.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #5983949 - 08/21/06 02:10 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I added some links.
From the first one

Quote:

Cow's milk contains a full range of amino acids. Soymilk also contains a full range of amino acids. Both contain plenty of protein. Cow's milk actually has one- half gram more protein than the 100-gram portion of soymilk.

As for the nine essential amino acids in protein necessary for sustaining life, cow's milk and soy milk contain nearly identical amounts, but cow's milk does win this one by a whisker, containing a mere one-fifth of a gram more essential amino acids than the soy. That may be a hollow victory for milk lovers because one of the nine essential amino acids is methionine. Cow's milk contains more than twice as much methionine as does soymilk. The center atom of methionine is sulfur. Too much animal protein creates an acid condition in the blood which the body must neutralize by taking calcium from the bones. . Nations eating the most animal protein have the highest rates of osteoporosis.

Soymilk contains greater amounts of other amino acids including arginine, alanine, aspartic acid, and glycine. Arginine slows the growth of cancers by strengthening the immune system. Alanine aids in the metabolism of sugars. Aspartic acid increases stamina and plays a vital role in metabolism, acting as an anti-oxidant. Glycine is necessary for brain and nervous system functioning and muscle/energy metabolism.

It's not protein you have to worry about. You'll get plenty of that. It's the quality of the protein. The type of protein in soy is one that is easily digested by humans. As opposed to animal protein, which tends to putrefy in the digestive tract.

Also, nuts contain high amounts of protein and are loaded with the proper essential amino and fatty acids.

--------------------

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

#5983972 - 08/21/06 02:18 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Cool. Maybe tomorrow's break time snack will be a bowl of fresh almonds drowned in soy juice.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #5983988 - 08/21/06 02:24 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Soy milk is really not bad. I thought it tasted weird at first. Now.. I much prefer it over regular milk. Now I think cow's milk is what tastes weird and nasty. Though a lot of companies add organic cane sugar to their soy milk to give it better taste.. but I suppose that's better than bovine growth hormones. And you can get soy juice without sugar.

Almonds and soy milk.. that sounds pretty good. No shortage of protein that's for sure, as well as getting a lot of your "good" fats (since nuts are also loaded with polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats... the kind you want)
That's also the kind of fats in olive oil, avocados, fish, and most nuts. The kind of fats that lower cholesterol.

You still want plenty of fat in your diet. Just make sure it's not saturated and trans fats.

The basic fuel for energy for the human body is (Protein+Carbs+Fat=energy)

But you don't want to overdo it, with too much of the wrong kind of protein, or the wrong kinds of fat and carbs. Carbs from whole grains. Fat from fish, nuts and oils. Protein from nuts and fish and grains and legumes.

Saturated and Trans Fats are the kind you find in: milk, butter, cheese, ice cream, red meat, coconuts, vegetable shortening, partially hydrogenated vegetables oils, deep-fried foods, most fast foods, most commercial baked goods. That's the stuff of heart attacks and blocked arteries.

--------------------

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

#6004864 - 08/28/06 02:44 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Well, I've been slowly adjusting myself to the new diet. I haven't gone full blown yet. I'm gonna wait for a few tests and the results of before I go all out. That way I have some numbers and can see what sorts of improvements I make. I may make a post detailing what I eat here, but I haven't decided yet.

Anyhow, I still want more recipes. I know some of you are holding out. Give em up!

--------------------

OfflineKbell
Stranger
Female

#6013681 - 08/30/06 09:39 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Spinach salad is pretty good. Get some dried cranberries and toss those in there with some nuts. I usually use a cranberry vinaigrette but if you don't like dressing then just eat it dry.

Broiled chicken tacos-
Broil chicken or put it on a skillet with some water
Get some tortilla wraps that are no/ low fat. They have different kinds like spinach and wheat that aren't too shabby.
Salsa the HEB Organic salsa is really good.
wrap it up and your good to go.
Maybe some black beans, I don't know if you can eat that though.

My dad has heart issues and he eats that or broiled salmon pretty much every night.

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

Loc: shambhala
    #6014646 - 08/31/06 05:28 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

If you wanna lower cholestrol then porridge ie oatmeal is your friend. Somehow the fucker manages to naturally lower your cholestrol. (vague stuff here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oatmeal). Only downside is that you have to eat quite a lot. Like, two bowls a day, and its filling.

I make it in the microwave, just as good as on the stove. Half a cup of oats, half a cup of milk (soya these days too) and a splash of water, nuke it for 2 mins, stir, give it another minute or so. You have to judge it yourself how long it needs after the first too mins, it shouldn't betoo gooey or too runny, just porridgey. Add more water/milk if necessary. I eat one for breakfast with a bit of honey or maple syrup and chopped banana, damn thats good, and another for lunch, usually salted not sweet, with some savoury topping like tomato or something. Its not the most exciting food but its so damn cheap, so damn healthy and it fills you up. Then I make something interesting for dinner.

Its great in the morning with a nice mug of fresh coffee...Im addicted now. It maybe costs two pounds/four dollars to feed your breakfast/lunch for a week!

--------------------
let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Loc: the popcorn stadium Flag
    #6014764 - 08/31/06 08:01 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

smoothies might also be a good idea. I use frozen strawberries, fresh peaches, bananas, and spinach. Add some yogurt and milk, and you've got from 2-5 of your fruit and veggie needs right there. Lots of vitamins, iron, and good healthy sugars.

I pretty much eat fresh veggies for dinners. Steamed brocolli and carrots, mashed potatoes (or baked), okra, corn, tomatoes, cucumber, beans (white, green, etc). Sometimes bake some chicken, but not very often.

--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #6030712 - 09/05/06 09:35 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
I'm very wary of splenda. I don't trust it like I never trusted aspartame back when everyone thought it was the best thing to use instead of sugar before they found out it causes cancer. I'll just use honey instead of sugar.. it tastes better to me anyway.

For those who aren't a huge fan of the taste of honey, pure maple syrup also makes a nice substitute for sugar... I don't know how good it is for you, but I think it sweetens more without adding as much flavor as honey does.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Alright You Hippies and Green Eaters, Gimmie Some Recipes [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #6031326 - 09/05/06 01:16 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

It's certainly not bad for you.. it's mostly energy in the form of levulose, which is a variant of fructose and glucose..calcium, potassium, phosphorous, iron, and trace amounts of B vitamins

--------------------

Offlinephi1618
old hand

#6031385 - 09/05/06 01:32 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

A good salad:
1 can drained and rinsed black beans (buy the cheapest available - cheaper brands usually contain only beans, water, and salt)
2 ears of fresh sweet corn (this time of year - other times, or based on your location, canned can be substituted) - slice the kernels right off
other raw fruits and veggies - avocado, tomato, cucumber, lettuce, etc.
lemon (or lime) juice

Black beans and corn have complimentary amino acids, and this makes a delicious, filling, cheap, and easy to prepare salad.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Alright You Hippies and Green Eaters, Gimmie Some Recipes [Re: phi1618]
    #6031519 - 09/05/06 02:12 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

for a salad I like a mixture of kale and spinach
cherry tomatoes, avocado, carrots, red onions, black beans, bell pepper, and chutney, with fresh cilantro. sometimes I'll throw some lentils in there too.

Something I like to make for lunch or a snack is a veggie wrap:

Use large wheat pita (or tortilla wrap)
Open the pouch and put a nice thick layer of hummus
Fill with bean sprouts, thinly sliced carrots, tomato, cucumber, zucchini, and cream cheese
Delicious. Sometimes I'll put in sliced red or yellow peppers, or green onions, and/or mushrooms.

--------------------

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

#6038636 - 09/07/06 02:28 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I wouldn't recommend soy. Simply because there are a lot of dissenting opinions on the supposed health benefits and even the very suitability of it as a part of the human diet. Asians have used it for a long time but primarily in fermented forms, and in much smaller quantities than soy manufacturers would have you think. There is considerable evidence to show that soy acts as an estrogenic substance in the human body. It's not the only food that does that but any such food should be approached cautiously. Other than where I disagree with him on that, Shroomism really seems to know his shit, lots of good advice.

A homemade curry as suggested by lowdominion is a good idea but dude, frozen vegetables?? Go with fresh man, so much goodness down the tubes with frozen. Why not go with fresh onion instead of onion powder, and plenty of raw garlic and some ginger too?

Offlinephi1618
old hand

Re: Alright You Hippies and Green Eaters, Gimmie Some Recipes [Re: Viveka]
    #6040842 - 09/08/06 10:06 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I'm also a bit skeptical about the claims of soy's health benefits. It has good protein, but protein is almost never an issue for a vegetarian with a reasonably varied diet that isn't based on junk food and who isn't running marathons or trying to become the next Mr. Universe. Soy contains a variety steroids, many estrogenic - although some people claim that these compounds have various health benefits, I'm a bit afraid to eat too much (particularly as a man, who doesn't need more estrogen). A small amount of soy is almost certainly harmless and healthy; a lot is probably too much.

During the spring summer and fall, use seasonal produce. During the winter, frozen veggies are probably at least as healthy and delicious as the available "fresh" ones. Since frozen veggies are frozen when fresh, they retain their nutrition and flavor much better than fresh that need to be stored and shipped.
see: http://www.nutritionaustralia.org/News_in_Nutrition/Published_Papers/FrozenVege.pdf

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Alright You Hippies and Green Eaters, Gimmie Some Recipes [Re: Viveka]
    #6041193 - 09/08/06 12:12 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Soy can be eaten quite safely in moderation. Over-consumption is to be avoided, like most things.. and indeed fermented soy products (Tempeh, Miso.. etc) is generally a better form for human consumption. The fact is soy contains isoflavones that act like a very weak form of synthetic estrogens.. approximately 1/1000th the activity of estradiol. It is preferable to obtain isoflavones from whole foods to receive specific health benefits.. approximately 25 grams a day of soy protein provides approximately 50 mg/day of isoflavones.

The idea that consumption of soy causes an imbalance of estrogen levels and decreases testosterone production is misinformation spread mostly by the bodybuilding and supplement industries, who want you to take their protein supplements.. It is based more on hopeful fiction than fact. You would have to eat a ridiculous amount of soy for it to even begin to effect your natural occurring estrogen levels. In fact the only known side-effects, short term or long, of eating too much soy is: stomach upset and digestive problems.

However, soy is not the be-all and end-all of proteins. Hemp seed is.

Nor should soy be a primary source of protein. You should get protein from a wide variety of sources (mostly grains and legumes and nuts). The key is moderation and diversity in diet. However, overconsumption of soy will not cause you to grow breasts. In fact, the benefits of moderate daily amounts of soy protein FAR outweigh any potential negative side effects. Soy is known to fight and help prevent several types of cancer, including lung and prostate cancer in men and breast cancer in woman, it also helps fight and prevent heart disease.

Links/sources -
http://www.wellnessletter.com/html/ds/dsSoy.php
http://www.mdanderson.org/departments/ci...hod=displayFull
http://nutrition.about.com/b/a/206952.htm
http://www.usc.edu/hsc/info/pr/hmm/04fall/soy.html
http://www.cancer.org/docroot/ETO/content/ETO_5_3X_Soybean.asp?sitearea=ETO
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/007204.htm

If you're looking for the ultimate food/protein though.. it is Hemp Seed.
Hemp Seed contains almost the exact ideal amounts of each essential amino and fatty acids for human consumption. It is a very rich source of complete proteins, (the type of protein is ideal for human consumption..), is very rich in Omega-3 fatty acid and Omega-6 fatty acid. A tablespoon of seeds contains 3-4 grams of fats (polyunsaturated) and ALA. ALA and other plants containing this substance are known to have benefits for a variety of inflammatory conditions, atherosclerosis, and some neurological problems. Hemp seed also contains vitamin E and a wide variety of minerals.
An unidentified compound or compounds from an extract of hemp seeds has been shown to promote memory, learning, and immune function in mice. It is believed to act by stimulating a brain enzyme known as calcineurin.
Hemp seed is basically a miracle food that is ideal for human consumption/digestion. And yeah its protein is far superior to soy protein.

--------------------

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

#6041808 - 09/08/06 04:31 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Good stuff, that hemp. Too bad that when smoked in a marijuana cigarette, or reefer, it causes MURDEROUS DEBAUCHERY. Infants slaying their own mothers and once upstanding gentlemen beeing beaten to death with their own shoes!

Lately I've really been stoking on grains like quinoa and amaranth. I've read that these two combined have a nutritional profile that approaches perfect as far as human dietary needs are concerned.
They're 15-23% protein, 90% digestible and packed with vitamins and minerals and have an ideal amino acid profile. They even contains a good amount of lysine, an essential amino acid rarely found in non-flesh sources. They also have a cool history, as they were developed by the Incas and Aztecs. Read more about my two favorite grains at good ol' wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amaranth

They're very easy to prepare, 1 cup of grain to 1.5/2 cups water, bring to a boil then simmer on low heat for about 15 minutes, or until the water is absorbed. Quinoa should be rinsed first, though this probably isn't necessary with most varieties found at the store. I buy them in bulk. Yesterday I made a batch of delightful breakfast cereal with 1 cup quinoa and 1 cup amaranth, one diced apple, about a cup of rasins, about a half cup chopped almonds, a teasponfull cinnamon and a splash of goat milk, one of my favorite beverages. Bring the grains to a boil then simmer for 5 minutes, then add your fuit and nuts and cinnamon and simmer for another 15 minutes or so.

I hadn't thought about the prospect of frozen versus "fresh" veggies in wintertime phi, interesting.

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
    #6042248 - 09/08/06 07:08 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Grill up some artificially colored red fish meal fed PCB/DDT laden "farm" fresh frozen salmon. Sprinkle some sliced almonds on the top when done. Voila, salmon almondine. Yummy!

Cut in half some red potatoes to grill along with the salmon. Garnish with fresh parsley when finished. Voila, parsley potatoes!

Slice up an eggplant into 3/4" slices and put some olive oil on them and a little sugar and pepper. Cook on the same grill. I like to cook them up nice and crispy brown on the outside and mushy on the inside. Or substitute zucchini or yellow squash in half if you don't like eggplant.

Put it all on your plate with a sliced red ripe fresh tomato and enjoy!

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

Edited by LunarEclipse (09/08/06 07:09 PM)

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

Re: Alright You Hippies and Green Eaters, Gimmie Some Recipes [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #6043732 - 09/09/06 09:40 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Shroomism - Anywhere to buy hemp seeds? Legally or not.

Viveka - Interesting stuff. I will be looking further into those grains today.

--------------------

Offlinecapliberty
Stranger
 User Gallery

#6044493 - 09/09/06 02:48 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I'd say before investing in a diet, I'd invest in a long fast, I know you have weight training, but you can postphone that for your health,

fasting has many recooperating and cleansing benefits to it, also when you eventually go back to eatting, you'll be more aware of the foods that make your body healthier, its a good start when trying to figure out a diet,

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #6044576 - 09/09/06 03:41 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Yep.. of course.. hemp products are illegal to sell in the US, because our government has its head up its ass.. but it is legal to purchase and have imported.

Click here for more complete info about the miraculous hemp seed - http://www.ratical.org/renewables/hempseed2.html

And here's hemp food from Canada - http://www.rawganique.com/Food.htm

Also Viveka.. good stuff about quinoa and amaranth. I had completely forgetten about those wonderful grains. Thanks for reminding me! :cheers:

--------------------

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

Re: Alright You Hippies and Green Eaters, Gimmie Some Recipes [Re: capliberty]
    #6046228 - 09/10/06 09:28 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I thought about a fast, but, as you know, I lift. I could probably spare a few days, or maybe a week though.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #6047463 - 09/10/06 05:41 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I've never liked the idea of the traditional fast.. where you don't eat anything and only drink water. To me it just seems like why would you want to starve your body like that? :shrug:

My idea of a fast to cleanse toxins from the system, is just eat fresh, raw, fruit and nothing but fruit for 3-7 days. Drinking fresh fruit juices, and tons and tons of water. All the different acids in the fruit help to cleanse the system, not to mention fruit is 80% water. And fruit contains tons of antioxidants, essential vitamins, and fiber.. it's the ideal cleansing food. So you're getting cleaned the fuck out from the inside, you're getting plenty of your important vitamins.. and fiber which is important always..

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract