Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Latist Entheogen Review claims: [Re: DinoMyc]
    #596980 - 04/02/02 07:36 PM (22 years, 17 hours ago)

Mycofile, here is the comments on the posts concerning Dr. Wayne and Yachaj at Mycotopia. in response to a letter1 wrote to Jon Hanna of the Entheogenic Review after reading the above posts here at the Shroomery.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Jon Hanna's letter to mjshroomer:
Hello Mj,
From what you sent, it sounds as though someone posted something to the web without permission, and Yachaj was commenting that this is unethical and that he would do whatever was in his power to correct this injustice.

I agree that it is unethical. There seems to be a postmodern rip-off mentality by many who use the web. I have seen a LOT of artists whose works have been used to illustrate web sites without either permission or even
credit. It pisses me off, and whenever I *know* the artist personally, I hip them to the fact that their hard work has been hoovered. (Alex Grey, for example, has called me on the phone to thank me for pointing out such theft.)

Personally, I think that the article written by Yachaj was excellent. It has received rave reviews by many people "in the scene." (Hell, you wanted toreprint it yourself.) However, I pay little attention to e-mail lists, web forums, virtual clique groups, and have no idea what is being said in these sorts of circles. I have seen time and again flame wars, name calling,
insults, threats, etc. This sort of behaviour makes me sad, and I try to stay entirely uninvolved in such things. I am not terribly familiar with the "mushroom" scene in specific, don't know the "personalities" in this scene very well, (and especially not the pseudonymous ones), and I know very
little about growing mushrooms. I have no idea if, for example, brown rice really IS a better substrate. There was a time when I might have thought that if Gartz reported this to be the case, then it was probably true
And I suppose that I still feel that way, although I wasn't too jazzed to learn that GARTZ ripped off the text of a friend of mine, translated it into German, and essentially passed it off as his own in a chapter of his recent book on Salvia divinorum.

The comments from "mycofile/(Jedi Master)" are typical of the sort of thing I try to avoid. Calling someone a slut and telling said person to lick one's balls smacks of the hotheaded and rude discourse that is unfortunately too common in today's electronic communications; it is hard to think that this person would communicate in such a manner to someone's face.

As noted earlier, I don't agree that copyright violations can be
relegated to "irate bitch yapping," and I also take exception to the idea that the article in question isn't worth paying for. Of course, that is a personal opinion, but at least it is an *informed* one, since I have READ the article, unlike "mycofile/(Jedi Master)", who has decided that it has no value based on NO direct information at all! Yeah, THIS is the guy to
be taking advice from ..

In reading the comments written by Yachaj, it is clear that his primary concern is the fact that people were stealing from his friend. I see nothing at all wrong with him suggestion that he would be happy to send his friend information related to who the thieves were. I am quite surprised that you would describe this attitude as being one of a "shitty character" or
"evil."

On the contrary, the "shitty/evil character" is whomever is responsible for stealing and posting Wayne's material without permission. Yachaj is *hardly* acting as a "snitch" as you [meaning MJ] characterize, but rather as an advocate for
the rights of the artist/creator of a work. It was "mycofile/(Jedi Master)" who characterized Yachaj as "threatening to cooperate with agencies to get our homes raided," but if one reads what Yachaj actually wrote, he wasn't really doing this. What he was doing was saying that IF someone or some people didn't stop the theft, that he would help to get the theives caught, and that this might result in searches of these people's homes (which it might, I suppose). Sounds more like "fair warning" than any sort of a threatened raid to me.

I do not know Yachaj personally, but even if I did it would be totally uncool of me to "out" him to you or anyone else. I would never reveal the true name of someone who wrote under a pseudonym. It *is* my impression that Yachaj does not live in America, but I am not clear why it would matter
WHERE he lives. That is, if I saw his comments as ing "snitch-like," (which I don't) I don't know why it would matter if he was a domestic snitch or a foreign snitch.

I do know Rene Rikkleman. I have had e-mail contact with him on occasion for a few years, and I met him in person at the 2001 Mind States conference. He seems to me to be an intelligent, well-read, and likeable guy. I have also heard from one person who lives in the Netherlands who didn't have a
positive impression of Rene. I don't know Rene terribly well, but I have not personally had any trouble with him at all, and I would consider him to be a distant friend. Rene does live in the Netherlands. Rene actually recommended to me that I buy a copy your recent CD a short while ago (after you had
already sent me a copy).

I've no idea why Rene would have "accused [you] of being a drug dealer" whom he didn't want to have anything to do with. Hell, I suspect that MOST people who are interested in drugs have done *some* degree of dealing, and I can't
really see this as being something terribly negative myself even if it were true. On the other hand, I *can* see why people might not want to associate with folks that they believed to be drug dealers. And I know that Rene
is of the opinion that people should grow their own ushrooms to remove commerce from the equation, as a safer approach (which seems like a sensible idea to me, in at least some respects).

Anyway, if it isn't already clear, my feeling is that when someone is a theif, then it may indeed be time to call the "cops." The web seems to have watered down the ethics of a lot of people, perhaps BECAUSE the medium
itself is "virtual." The same people who might scan a book that I wrote and post it to the web would be unlikely to come into my house and steal a box of the books that I am trying to sell. Since there is no "loss" of a physical object by the theft of posting copyrighted material to the web without ermission, the theives don't really FEEL like they are stealing. But if people can get my book free on the web, them many if not most of them aren't gonna send me $20.00 for a hard copy. Stealing is stealing, regardless if the theives are using a slim-jim or a scanner.

See ya. -- Jon

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Followed by Jon Hanna's reply to me about this matter is my letter in response to the posts at Mycotopia.

Please take into consideration that I am responding to the posts as presented in Mycotopia.

I wrote to Hanna and made some comments about evil people who call police. I also found out that someone told him That I was a snitch and had allegedly put mushroom growers in jail to avoid jail myself. Ha. What a laugh. Here is my response to Mycotopia.s posts.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Well according to the madness in these posts I guess we should get real serious and charge Bigwood and the McKenna's and every other cultivator for stealing all their growing ideas from copyrighted material published by J. P. San Antoine, who in 1971 published his paper on "A laboratory method to obtain fruit from cased spawn of the cultivated mushroom(sic) Agaricus Bisporus. in Mycologia vol. 63:16-21.

Most of the methods developed by the McKenna's, Ott and Bigwood, came fromthis paper. And then everyone else copied that. PF has the best technique for cultivation and he is very honest in his dealings.

I know many people copy my images and use them on their sites without my permission and many others ask for permission.

Anyway, my 2 cents worth.

mj

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDinoMyc
Ipsa scientiapotestas est
Re: Latist Entheogen Review claims: [Re: mjshroomer]
    #597618 - 04/03/02 12:28 PM (22 years, 11 minutes ago)

interesting..
it really is unfortunate when flameing and shittossing get in the way of a good discussion..
Everyone stands on the shoulders of all those who come before them, and in doing so may see just over the edge of something great and into the grand unknown. It is a great shame when all one sees is the wall. Give me the grass and great sea where none have trod before..
Personally I feel that Yachaj's email is inappropriate, especially with consideration of the subject.
I have not read the manual in question, however I plan on it. If it is indeed worth the money, I will gladly contribute.
The idea of publishing online with the price barly lower than the hardcopy is inappropriate, in my eyes. Authors commonly get 10% of the sale price of the book. With the lack of the necessity of a publisher on the internet, or even with the presence of a rights-holding firm of sorts, the cost of the intellectual information should not change. To charge 70% of the printed cost of material for a digital form is a poor move, again, in my eyes. He SHOULD be credited and given payment for his time, effort, and thought.
regardless.
Of a certain perspective, are we, individually.

Have an enjoyable day/night.

--------------------
If I made affront, I apologize.
If I made affirmation, I apologize.
I merely came to listen, came to say.

Edited by DinoMyc (04/03/02 12:30 PM)

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Latist Entheogen Review claims: [Re: mjshroomer]
    #598077 - 04/03/02 10:43 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

thanks for the update MJ.
I am interested in contacting this Jon Hanna. Can you post (or pm if you'd rather keep it private) an email address for him?

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals