Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesocialnorm77
forager
 User Gallery

Loc: north east
"Orange" Black Trumpet ? (pics)
    #5947924 - 08/09/06 04:42 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

An interesting find today. Fruiting under the same oak as some of the other "normal" blacks, C. fallax. They smell about the same. If anything the orange ones smell a touch more peppery. But I might be trying too hard to find a difference. I'm wondering if this could be a mutation?
The Trumpets around here very often have a salmon color to their pore surface, but I have never seen one that was completely orange. The pictures don't quite do them justice. They are actually quite bright.
I also found some trumpets the other day growing underneath a cedar tree of all places. Thos were also quite different than what is pictured, I believe those were C. foetidus. Unfortunately I didn't take any pics to compare.

Group Shot- the orange ones are at the back left, probably 10 or so.

Edited by socialnorm77 (08/09/06 05:12 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleYESSUP
In The Thick Of It
 User Gallery

Loc: SE Tex
Re: "Orange" Black Trumpet ? (pics) [Re: socialnorm77]
    #5948083 - 08/09/06 05:29 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

:thumbup:Right On Norm......
Do you need my addy to send them zesty morsels? LOL

--------------------
Gut Feeling leads to anxiety, Anxiety leads to fear, Fear leads to anger,And anger leads to regret.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #5948519 - 08/09/06 07:42 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Those are very interesting. I don't see anything that's a really good match in any of my books.

I'll ask around. The CMS Mushroom Fair is this Sunday, so I'll have some good professional mycologists to ask opinions of.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #5948549 - 08/09/06 07:56 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Cool find man. :thumbup:

You should clone one of those orange trumpets, and if you are not into cultivation, somebody else might try it for you. I'm going to link this thread to the gourmet forum I think some peeps there might be interested.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #5960030 - 08/13/06 05:54 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I talked with Dr Halling today about your find. Without seeing any photos, his initial guess was one of the several species near Cantharellus tubaeformis.

I will forward copies of your photos to him. He said it might be awhile before he can get to them (he's on his way to Australia now). I'll let you know what he says about them.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

#5960265 - 08/13/06 07:24 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I noticed that to on a few of my finds. I figured it was older mushrooms that faded, then sporulated.......

Re: "Orange" Black Trumpet ? (pics) [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #5960272 - 08/13/06 07:26 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Did they seem kinda limp and dried out? Compared to the darker younger ones.

Offlinesocialnorm77
forager
 User Gallery

#5962305 - 08/14/06 10:40 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Hi guys,

thanks for the responses.

These were younger than the other surrounding trumpets,  Which were getting a bit old, and slugs had started having their way with them.

It took me by surprise when I saw them, because of the brightness.  The oak I found them on is on the side of a mountain, of mixed woods. About A hundred yards from a grove of just oak, ( where I find the majority of what I have picked this year).  They were in a pretty shaded area.  But quite literally four feet from other trumpets.  They were on the downhill side of the tree, if that makes any difference.

I'm leaning towards these being Albino. As almost all other characterisitcs are consistent with the others I found.

I have also dried them.
If anyone would like me to send them a sample to study, or just take a look at, drop me a PM.

Thanks for taking the time to ask about these.

Cheers :thumbup:

#5962366 - 08/14/06 11:07 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Did they all seem to be smaller then the "normal" ones? I noticed that in the ones that i found.

Offlinesocialnorm77
forager
 User Gallery

#5962421 - 08/14/06 11:27 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

yes , for the most part they were smaller. That could have been, from them not being completly mature. The largest one is in the "hand comparison" pic. I left a bunch to continue growing. I'll take a walk down there this afternoon and see how they are doing. This being my one day off, and what am I doing? Hitting the shroomery needle.
Screw it, I'm going mushroom hunting.

talk to you later

#5965463 - 08/15/06 09:09 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

socialnorm77 said:
This being my one day off,  and what am I doing?  Hitting the shroomery needle.
Screw it, I'm going mushroom hunting.

talk to you later

:hehehe:

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #5980527 - 08/20/06 12:14 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

OK, I think I may have an answer on these. I just got Orson Miller's new book, and it has a pretty good section on the Cantharellaceae.

Your specimens are probably either Cantharellus lateritius or C. odoratus. Both species are very similar in appearance, but C. odoratus is hollow all the way through and C. lateritius usually has at least part of the stem solid.

Both species are choice edibles.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies