Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTerillius
Renaissance Man
Male User Gallery
Loc: Flag
Oven "Sterilization" Method for PF Jars * 1
    #5976915 - 08/18/06 08:20 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Oven "Sterilization" method for PF Jars

This is a repost. I have added warnings throughout as suggested by experienced members in the previous thread. Keep in mind that this is an experiment. I claim nothing other than what I write here. I fully intend to add evidence supporting or denying this method as I gather it. A pressure cooker is a proven alternative to this method, offering near 100% reliability when used properly.

This method is not technically "sterilization" since the jars won't reach 250F. I simply use that term as it appears in common usage.

This explains the method I used to sterilize standard 1/2 pint PF jars in my conventional oven. I achieved 12/12 jars with no contamination so I am convinced that this method is as reliable as the pot-on-stove method and is far more convenient. The jars grew remarkably well so I know that the moisture balance was not changed for the worse and the substrate was not otherwise damaged.

This whole process is less time consuming than the standard pot-on-stove method because 12 jars takes me three batches at 60min each. This takes half the time, requires no monitoring/modification during the cooking phase, and is much cleaner. I favor this over a PC for the same reasons. The PC that I can afford won't hold 12 jars even if I was planning to buy one.

-----

First prep jars with your chosen mix of substrate and make sure to punch holes in the lids so they don't explode in the oven.

Next, cover them each with a layer of aluminum foil. Make sure the foil is tight to prevent losing or gaining moisture during the process.

Place your jars on a standard size cookie sheet. One of these things holds 12 jars just peachy.

Fill the sheet with water to 3/4 of the top.

Make a foil pocket for the whole thing so that moisture won't escape. This should be pretty tight, but doesn't need to be perfect. We basically just made a big flat pot. In theory, the pocket fills with steam which helps transfer heat to the jars and prevents excessive moisture loss.

Put the whole thing one level above the bottom in the oven so the bottom is close to the lower heating element in the oven, but not too close. I did it this way because the bottom of the jars is more critical to sterilize than the top.

Bake them for 90min at 325 degrees F. I actually put the jars sometime while the oven was preheating so this time could be knocked down. I chose 90min simply because the movie I was watching ran about that long. Next time, I think I will bump the temp a little or let the jars go longer. That is simply my subjective, unvalidated, hunch opinion and maybe a little paranoid, but at least I told you.

Optionally, cool quickly by placing ice on the top and/or running water into the pocket so it fills the tray. It is really easy to put the tray on a standard double-sink and let the water run over the jars for a while. This is optional, of course. You could set the oven timer and go to sleep. Mmmmm.... Sleep.

*WARNING - Rapid cooling can cause jars to explode. Mine did not explode, but it is possible.

*WARNING - Leaving your oven on overnight could be dangerous.
-----

Thanks for reading! I plan to post pictures when I do this again in a week or so.

***UPDATE*** PICS!!!!

These are pics of the jars I cooked, 15 days later. They went from cooked to cooled to ~84 degrees F. They are golden teacher on standard PF cakes. They look great and very rhizo.

*EDIT - The original Thread is one great big argument. It has been locked because I was allegedly flaming. I would avoid it, but just for reference, I included a link.

Edited by Terillius (08/18/06 08:28 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFoul_Breath
Mega Sentience
Male

Re: Oven "Sterilization" Method for PF Jars [Re: Terillius] * 1
    #5976926 - 08/18/06 08:29 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Heh, whatever happened to people being simply polite or ignoring each other? Now, this isn't an attack on anyone in particular, but lets assume person A is being a dick. You can either

1. Ignore him.
2. Flame him.
3. Politely argue back.

If you want to waste valueable time and generally want to get pissed off, I would advise using the second argument.

But if you want to constructively and effectively see whether a member's idea is logical/possible, use the 3rd.

If you have a particular reason why you think the following tek won't work, posting - "It just won't, been done too many times." Isn't going to help anyone. I don't care if you're God, nobody here is psychic and we are posting here to hopefully learn.

--------------------
www.GeniusIntelligence.com
Shrooms are fun ^_________^

OfflineFoul_Breath
Mega Sentience
Male

Re: Oven "Sterilization" Method for PF Jars [Re: Foul_Breath] * 1
    #5976940 - 08/18/06 08:34 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

As for the oven sterilization process, I certainly wouldn't consider myself to be an expert, but you have clear evidence there, 12 cakes, contam free and therefore, it's at least a start. What I personally would do is make a jar without sterilizing it, just to see whether you live in a generally contam free area (the reason why you didn't get any as opposed to the oven baking the fuckers).

Also, the cakes might be a bit dry, so I would definitely suggest dunking them. All in all, great job and tell us how the flushes go.

--------------------
www.GeniusIntelligence.com
Shrooms are fun ^_________^

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Oven "Sterilization" Method for PF Jars [Re: Foul_Breath] * 1
    #5977008 - 08/18/06 09:05 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Definitely healthy looking! Right or wrong just keep the respect #1 priority here and we'll be fine. Also lets see lots of pics of your progress. Proofs in the pudding bro! :wink: GL

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Oven "Sterilization" Method for PF Jars [Re: Terillius] * 1
    #5977060 - 08/18/06 09:22 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

This thread has been closed.

Reason:
This topic has already been closed in a earlier thread and cannot simply be restarted because you disagree with the decision. I am closing this thread again.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder