Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesyntech
Stranger
Fractional steriliazation on pf style jars?
    #5824318 - 07/05/06 04:40 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Well, SWIM made a bunch of brf+verm style jars 3-4 days ago. SWIM's gonna finally get a pressure cooker tomorrow so no more of this contamination gambling when boiling to sterilize.

Anyways, SWIM was working, recovering from being out in the feilds and tripping nuts, and totally spaced on the jars. SWIM forgot for at least 4 days until last night. SWIM was thinking it was probably too late for inoculation as the jars were removed from the boiling pots and placed in a different not so clean container, and contams probably would have already taken hold.

Well SWIM was half right. Upon opening the container an immediate sick-sweet fermentation like odour was noticed (probably bacterial), altough to my surprise about half of the jars showed no signs of any contamination at all. Two of them were really bad and the contamination had taken over big parts of the cake and were thick and robust looking. These two were simply thrown away as one of the jars was cracked anyways. The remainding 3-4 jars had that smell but only very faintly. Also, they did seem to have a dull greyish white fuzzy growth toward the bottoms of the jars. The growth was very sparse though and not thick or robust looking at all, and they took up only small areas. Some areas of the contaminant were so light and hard to see it was only the condensation on the inside of the jar in that spot that gave it away.

So basically whatever contaminant it was it did not look advanced/mature enough nor was it prolific enough to sporulate yet.

SWIM just so happened to also read a post somewhere recently where "fractional sterilization" was mentioned. This was a technique that used plain boiling to kill off all the living colonies and of course the endospores would be untouched. Then the medium was left to allow the endospores to germinate and grow a little, but not long enough to produce more spores. The whole idea was to boil them again after the endospores all germinate so all the living colonies are killed easily but no spores are left. Viola, a way to get low contamination rates without a pressure cooker. Growing contamination to stop contamination basically.

Since SWIM has feild shrooms, and plenty of spores left in the Eq. syringe, he decided to say fuck it and try a kind of "fractional sterilization", put all the jars except the bad two back into the pots and pans and boiled once more. Now upon cooling and inspection of the container the jars are in (after it was cleaned good), no weird smells are noticeable and all of the jars look normal. The ones that had the fuzz look like maybe something could have been there but the fuzz is no longer visible at all.

So SWIM ended up with 6 good jars and 2 that looked like they absorbed some water during sterilization and were water logged. These two were cleaned out and SWIM gonna use them to start a liquid culture. But anyways SWIM went ahead and inoculated the 6 jars with the Eq. spores.

Will keep updates on how the growth goes if it goes at all. First time SWIM has ever heard of this new sterilization theory applied to rice cakes. It will be great if it works, esp. as some of the cakes were visibly contaminated before the second sterilization. SWIM still suggests getting a pressure cooker as it's quicker, but if this theory works like it was advertised it would help out the newbie shroom growers a whole hell of a lot and would make things a lot less discouraging to the new grower. Cause contamination does suck!

We'll see in a few days SWIM guesses. The spores were pretty old though, they were a little over a year old sitting at room temp the whole time in syringe suspension. So SWIM don't know how long spores last like that but they may not work. Can't wait till SWIMS fresh ones get here! Any day now!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fractional steriliazation on pf style jars? [Re: syntech]
    #5824337 - 07/05/06 04:44 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

there is no need to do fractional steriliazation on pf style jars...

only on whole grains.

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinesyntech
Stranger
Re: Fractional steriliazation on pf style jars? [Re: Roadkill]
    #5825679 - 07/05/06 10:34 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Oh, I didn't know that. Still it would be cool though if the jars that were contaminated do well, just a little experiment.
Finally went to Wally-World today and picked up a cheap 6 qt pressure cooker for like $31 and some change. Gonna use it tonight to make some liquid culture jars, can't wait to try it out on some grains.

Offlinesyntech
Stranger
    #5974895 - 08/18/06 12:34 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Ok, something crazy happened woth the re-boiled jars that were all pretty much contaminated at first. Like a couple weeks after I had made this post, no germination occured within the jars and they started to smell a little funky. Deeming them all contaminated thinking the fractional sterilization was a failure, they sat for a while longer until they were one day loaded into the trunk of my car to be taken to someone elses house to be remade as my Cambodian spores had arrived. Well I had never gotten around to it and forgot about the jars in my trunk for a little while, sitting out day after day in the southern 100 degree weather. Well, last week I opened my trunk to retrieve the jars and 4 jars were dryed kind of and still smelled a little funky. The 2 other jars germinated! Right now one is about half colonized and the other is more than 3/4 colonized with bright white rizomorphic mycelium! So some if the equadorians germinated after all. Not only in jars that were mildly contamed and re-boiled, but with spores that were well over a year old kept sitting under my bed. Hell yeah! Gonna make a honey jar tonight to start the cambodians.

InvisibleCookies
Female
    #5974959 - 08/18/06 01:04 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

you don't need to pressure cook liquid cultures.

Offlinesyntech
Stranger
Re: Fractional steriliazation on pf style jars? [Re: Cookies]
    #5974990 - 08/18/06 01:19 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I don't, I boil liquid cultures. The pressure cooker is for the substrate that will be inoculated with the liquid cultures. The previous jars that were re-boiled above were pf style rice cakes, and were done before I bought the pressure cooker.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck