Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleWholefoods
It's a gift
 User Gallery

Loc: Outer Heaven
whey protein for PF jars?
    #5972400 - 08/17/06 10:09 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Is whey protein a possible substitute for BRF in PF jars?

Simple yes or no question really, unless you want comment further, I'm looking for new options for substrate and couldn't find an answer to this question.

--------------------
later gator

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemonstermitch
Growing in Bags Doesn't Work

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Arizona Bay Flag
Re: whey protein for PF jars? [Re: Wholefoods]
    #5972412 - 08/17/06 10:14 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

no.

follow the tek.
make no substitutions.
make no mistakes.

want to experiment?
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/favlinke...er=&postmarker=

--------------------

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #5972417 - 08/17/06 10:16 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

ok then to put it simply, no.

whey protein is obviously a good source of... protein.  but mushrooms won't grow on ptotein alone, they need carbs (simple sugars) mainly, but also fiber and a small amount of fats as well... and make use of other trace nutrients.  they do best with a "balanced" diet, much like humans. :smile:  it might make an interesting additive to a PF jar, but probably without much of a noticable difference.  brown rice flour is cheaper besides...

InvisibleWholefoods
It's a gift
 User Gallery

Loc: Outer Heaven
    #5972447 - 08/17/06 10:29 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Thnx guys. >__<

Well I've just gotten my first pins on my first grow ever so I figured hey i might aswell start thinking of some new techniques for the future.

The powder I have does have carbohydrates aswell. It's got about 20g protein and 30g carbs per "serving" aswell as A-Z vitamins and minerals.

--------------------
later gator

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #5972460 - 08/17/06 10:34 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

well, to give you a basis for comparison, brf (which we know works well) is about 75% carbs, and 7% protein.

not to say whey protein wouldn't work at all, but its not going to work well.  if you want to look for new techniques for the future, read up on bulk spawning.  you can continue to grow simple BRF cakes, but crumble them and mix them with bulk substrates.  that will increase nutritional content, substrate mass, and yields significantly.  its not so productive to come up with strange recipes for PF jars alone... you'll find countless threads of people who have, and then have little to show for their efforts. :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds