Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehippie_cune
Nowhere Man
guitar and drugs...
    #5961632 - 08/14/06 02:37 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

so who else plays guitar around here?

what do you guys like to do while gooked? on any drug really..

when im high, i really just like playing sweet melodies, like some george harrison lines (something, here comes the sun) or some blind melon - no rain.

but when im on shrooms i turn on my amp and jam some scales (and random nonsense) on this effect i created (i have G-DEC [reverse delay set at 1350ms]) its very trippy.. everything you play is reversed and then loops continuously until its been drowned out. ive sat with my guitar for hours gettin lost in squeaks, squeals, and jangly guitars comming from the amp.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedarkstar45
inquisitivetraveler
Male User Gallery

Re: guitar and drugs... [Re: hippie_cune]
    #5961800 - 08/14/06 04:09 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

thats a really cool sounding effect, do you think you could upload a lil some some.

--------------------
There he goes...
One of God's own prototypes.
A high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Too weird to live and too rare to die.

InvisibleAbrainspot
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: Rewind
    #5961883 - 08/14/06 05:27 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Back in high school man, all i use to do is get high, listen to Primus and play bass. So much fun, it really got me into playin bass. Then once i stopped smokin i realized i didnt know much about notes and scales, or theory in general, so i stopped. Got a Warwick Corvette Rockbass, havent played it for a good year or so. Still gettin high though, ha

OfflineSaucerfulofmoon
Jackass

Re: guitar and drugs... [Re: Abrainspot]
    #5961900 - 08/14/06 05:47 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I wanna get good at guitar but its something that doesnt happen over night...I havent tried playing while messed up, but it sounds like fun  :laugh:

OfflinesysD
this side up.

Re: guitar and drugs... [Re: Saucerfulofmoon]
    #5962121 - 08/14/06 09:31 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

When I'm high/kinda drunk, I jam sometimes. Music seems to flow out from my fingers into my guitar, I can play much more fluidly and chords seem to blend together better.

--------------------
repeat after me: "i am a strong black woman"

"awwwww, shucky-ducky!"

OfflineElectricJW
Stoner
 User Gallery

Re: guitar and drugs... [Re: sysD]
    #5962152 - 08/14/06 09:44 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I love playing the guitar when high, although I wish I had a better guitar and amp, but regardless it is still fun. My bro has a drum set and I love to play on it when baked.

I haven't played while tripping, although I can imagine that being fun as hell.

--------------------
"Visualize the action, then actualize the vision." - King of the Hill

“Long you live and high you'll fly and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry and all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be.”- Pink Floyd

Offlinetoastandjam
Tastes Grate, Lesh Philling
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5962349 - 08/14/06 10:57 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Playing stoned is a beautiful thing, especially once you understand how to use it to your advantage.

I play mostly improvisationally and I couldnt do what I do when I'm playing best if i hadn't had the stoned experiences to light the way.  Hearing melodies in my head and chasing them down is a joy.  The ability to get entirely lost in my inner world is great.  It doesnt flow perfectly every time, but when it does what a pleasure.

Little mistakes and duffs reverberate through my mind and create innovative phrases and transitions on good days.  I'm not all that great, but when its good I can tell.  Playing stoned won't make you immediately better on its own (can you say trainwreck?) but harnessed and practiced it can augment your sound and feeling nicely.  The best part is opening your eyes and being surprised at all that just came out.  :eek:

--------------------
Q: We wanted to see if you had the ability to expand your mind and your horizons... and for one brief moment, you did.
PICARD: When I realized the paradox...
Q: Exactly. For that one fraction of a second, you were open to options you'd never considered. That's the exploration that awaits you...not mapping stars and studying nebulae... but charting the unknowable possibilities of existence.

To carry yourself forward and experience myriad things is delusion. That myriad things come forth and experience themselves is awakening. -Dogen Zenji

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Re: guitar and drugs... [Re: toastandjam]
    #5962401 - 08/14/06 11:19 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

i play guitars... just about any type... acoustic, 12-string, electric, bass... got a room full of them :smile:

playing while stoned or otherwise under the influence is indeed good fun but not so productive.  there's a penomena known as state-dependent learning.  if you play under the influence of something often enough, your "improvement" tends to link to the state of mind you're in at the time, and unfortunately goes away when you try to repeat it sober... and relying on substances to play your best may not be the best idea. :smile:  i've in fact put aside the MJ in the past year or so to focus on creative hobbies with a clear head, and found it to work out better for me in the long run... pot makes me lazy. :smile:  aside from that, make a recording some time of your drug-influenced jam sessions and listen to them on a later date, they don't always sound as cool as they did at the time :smile:

i play electric in a band and despite the fact we're all potheads (or once were in my case) and regular psychedelic users, its strictly a no-no for any of us to come to practice under the influence.  we do enjoy sharing the experiences together to become more like-minded as a group, but there's a time for it, and the time isn't when we're trying to get some work done.  a few beers are the exception, seems to help relax the muscles and relaxed grips and movements definitely help your playing :wink:

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: guitar and drugs... [Re: creamcorn]
    #5963207 - 08/14/06 03:56 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

i really liked being able to hear my own music and make it up in my mind when i first started getting stoned.

i really should have respected the herb better and fine tuned these abilities, instead of blazing all the time an dlosing hold of them.

hear meaning with the ears, not "imagine" but hear.

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

Edited by leery11 (08/14/06 03:56 PM)

OfflineSpooge
The Nutter
Loc: Ice patches that last for...
    #5963303 - 08/14/06 04:25 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

its strictly a no-no for any of us to come to practice under the influence. we do enjoy sharing the experiences together to become more like-minded as a group, but there's a time for it, and the time isn't when we're trying to get some work done

Quote:

a few beers are the exception

If it's strictly a no no for you and your group to be under the influence...why's alcohol allowed?  I'm not preaching, I drink more than I toke now, but both those substances in my eyes have equal downfalls.  Of course, each to his preference, but that statement just seemed sort of contridictary(sp?)

Should of maybe put it like this "its strictly a no-no for any of us to come to practice under the influence of Marijuana, but a few beers is alright"

I understand what you are saying about state-dependent learning though and I can relate a little bit.

I have quite excessive experience playing stoned, drunk and usually both.  I think it comes down to fun factor for me.  I find it much more satisfying playing under the influence of those substances and I find I've made recordings I can never come close to touching.

I've playing tripping a fair amount and even though I make some incredibly fresh stuff....it's not played very well, but at least the thoughts there.

I will suggest to learn scales and theory on sober time and bring it to the table when you want to have some fun  :laugh:

InvisiblethatiAM
Stranger

Re: guitar and drugs... [Re: Spooge]
    #5963307 - 08/14/06 04:28 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Drinking impairs my guitar abilities FAR more than herb does. I find that I can still play fine (mostly) while tripping, but it becomes fun to just bend random notes and do lots of vibrato, instead of actually playing a tune. It's like, "Yeah, I could play that solo, or...Bleeeuwuhwhhwhwhwhahhwhhhhhfdlkskxkjxljf" and just make sound.

Offlinetoastandjam
Tastes Grate, Lesh Philling
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: guitar and drugs... [Re: thatiAM]
    #5963373 - 08/14/06 04:56 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

thatiAM said:
Drinking impairs my guitar abilities FAR more than herb does. I find that I can still play fine (mostly) while tripping, but it becomes fun to just bend random notes and do lots of vibrato, instead of actually playing a tune. It's like, "Yeah, I could play that solo, or...Bleeeuwuhwhhwhwhwhahhwhhhhhfdlkskxkjxljf" and just make sound.

The fine tuned and expertly blended product of those things, when practiced and honed, defines some of the best music I've ever heard or experienced.

--------------------
Q: We wanted to see if you had the ability to expand your mind and your horizons... and for one brief moment, you did.
PICARD: When I realized the paradox...
Q: Exactly. For that one fraction of a second, you were open to options you'd never considered. That's the exploration that awaits you...not mapping stars and studying nebulae... but charting the unknowable possibilities of existence.

To carry yourself forward and experience myriad things is delusion. That myriad things come forth and experience themselves is awakening. -Dogen Zenji

OfflineWoahtubulardude
Some Hippy Dude
Male
Re: guitar and drugs... [Re: toastandjam]
    #5963406 - 08/14/06 05:06 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Dude I love jamming on anything, I have a pretty cool setup I suppose, I play anything, crazy electric, or mellow acoustic riffs, matter of fact, the first time I shroomed I went into my peak playing some acoustic by an outside bonfire, it just feels so good like you're becoming the music itself, I love it.
As for being unproductive, hah, fuck that, whenever I'm high or drunk I make up some of my best work, its great!
Yay for drugs!

OfflineSpooge
The Nutter
Re: guitar and drugs... [Re: Woahtubulardude]
    #5963451 - 08/14/06 05:19 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Yea, my best experience was outside the city pretty far at a forestry campsite with 5 friends.  I was on 2 grams of mushroom, about 3 beer and also had a few tokes as well.  First time I'd ever drank with the shrooms.

I played guitar for everyone around the campfire, well more like for myself, for 3 hours.  Just random stuff, bluesish zztop style rock and lots of other types of bluesy stuff.  I got lost in the music and staring at the fire.  I think I made a trip report about it a long time ago.  What an experience.  I then took off with the guitar, strapped on my back and went for a walk...walking on the music baby!  :cool:

OfflineDyeGreen
Super Stud
    #5964447 - 08/14/06 10:25 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

My boss used to play drums for a legit local band around here... And he said some days while recording the band and the producer would actually get stoned together... Basically because anytime you can change your perspective on something you may be stuck on, it's prolly a good thing.

Tho I do agree that you shouldn't make it a huge habbit- it's actually true that if you study for the test drunk, you should take the test drunk... but you'll do worse than sober / sober.

OfflineWoahtubulardude
Some Hippy Dude
Male
Re: guitar and drugs... [Re: DyeGreen]
    #5964469 - 08/14/06 10:31 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I was still coming down from shrooms when I took my US history regents this past year and I got a 97 on it, and I didn't even study for it and I slept through most of class.
I second my past statement.
Yay drugs.
Peace

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

#5964550 - 08/14/06 10:59 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

entityexperiment said:
If it's strictly a no no for you and your group to be under the influence...why's alcohol allowed?  I'm not preaching, I drink more than I toke now, but both those substances in my eyes have equal downfalls.  Of course, each to his preference, but that statement just seemed sort of contridictary(sp?)

Should of maybe put it like this "its strictly a no-no for any of us to come to practice under the influence of Marijuana, but a few beers is alright"

yeah well its a few beers as in, somebody picks up a 6 pack for the 3 of us who drink beer (our singer drinks water heh).  not like we're gettin shitfaced. :smile:  no smokin til after practice!  our drummer used to have a coke thing a few years back too... so i guess im speaking in relative terms, id much rather have him drink 2 beers than come to practice all coked up...

in those amounts it really does calm the nerves and relax the arm/hand muscles for me at least... drinking much past the point of mild buzz starts to detract though for sure...

OfflineSpooge
The Nutter
    #5964841 - 08/15/06 12:09 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

that's cool. Toking relaxes my muscles actually a lot better then a beer or two.

hehe your remind me of some guys I know though. For a minute I thought maybe you were one of them. They all are the same way. But your not from B.C. hey?

OfflineAshland
Space Cowboy

Loc: North America
    #5964937 - 08/15/06 12:36 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

My personal opinion is that I play worse when I'm under the influence of cannabis.  Creatively I think I might have some ideas pop into my head that otherwise wouldn't have been thought of, but for the most part - in terms of composing - I prefer to write sober.

Then again, I think of music as more of an art form, and when I get "in the zone" it seems more powerful to me than any drug can be.  But hey, that's just how I feel :smile:

OfflineLedHead
Stranger

Re: guitar and drugs... [Re: Ashland]
    #5965080 - 08/15/06 01:32 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

i feel when im tripping that playing my guitar is like playing god. i love to jam and improvise so once the mushies or acid or kickin i pick up my guitar plug in... put on some echo for good measure and just jam out. it feels like im creating a living entity when i come up with a melody. i guess its cause when you play your literally making something and creating something that wouldnot be there unless u urself made it happen. if that makes sense. its just so awsome. i do agree with other people though that while tripping its so easy just to fuck around with a little riff and bend and throw in vibratos and not really go many places with it but it sound amazing at the time and so powerful because ur creating something out of nothign!

--------------------
I'm a traveler of both time and space...

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract