Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemaxlongstarr
Stranger
how long before sterilized jar spoils?
    #594719 - 03/31/02 04:07 PM (22 years, 3 days ago)

I prepared and sterilized my loaded jars using the PF steam method. Unfortunately i could not innoculate them after they cooled.and it has been twenty for hours since they where sterilized. They are still sitting in the pot, in water, with the lid on. I wont get a chance to innoculate today either,( life keeps interrupting). How long do i have before the jars go bad? Should i put them in the fridge or what? I'd hate to lose them to spoilage any good suggestions out there? Thanx maxlongstarr

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: how long before sterilized jar spoils? [Re: maxlongstarr]
    #594809 - 03/31/02 06:14 PM (22 years, 3 days ago)

people have said that they have waited a week before inoculation.
you should be fine.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineSpaceCruiser
journeyman
    #595262 - 04/01/02 06:29 AM (22 years, 2 days ago)

I recently innoculated some jars that were almost 4 weeks old. They are colonizing wonderfully, the fasted I've seen. There was no contamination in any of the jars, and there was plenty of time for contams to grow. I think if the jar was truly sterilized then no problems should arize. The only problem might be the substrate going bad. If the substrate was truly sterilized and the jars are air tight, no bacteria mold ect. can grow and hopefully no mildew. L8rs.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #595326 - 04/01/02 08:22 AM (22 years, 2 days ago)

I play it safe and toss jars that have set for more than a few days. I figure a few hours of extra work isn't such a big deal compared to a visit to the hospital or morgue.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinecookiewhore
enthusiast
Re: how long before sterilized jar spoils? [Re: Seuss]
    #595471 - 04/01/02 12:20 PM (22 years, 2 days ago)

if you have proper filters on your jars, why would they go bad after a few days. They go for over 2 weeks colonizing...
ive let them sit for far longer than a couple days.

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: how long before sterilized jar spoils? [Re: cookiewhore]
    #595557 - 04/01/02 01:31 PM (22 years, 2 days ago)

There is always a risk of incomplete sterilization. I use a professional autoclave such as a doctors office would have and have still had test jars that contaminated after 1hr at 28psi when left unopened. Granted, the risk is very very low, but why take any chance at all? The last thing I need is bacterial menegitis or botulism or... Just because you can't see or smell anything doesn't mean that there is nothing there. The extra hour I would save just isn't worth that risk to me. I'm the kind of person that always ties the tail end of my bowline and triple check my anchors when rock climbing... safety first, always.

> if you have proper filters on your jars, why would they go bad after a few days

Several reasons... you could have a bad filter disk allowing contamination to pass through it... you could have a poorly fitted filter disk allowing contamination to pass through it... you could have left over contamination inside the jar that is still viable after sterilization... your little brother could have opened the jars up while you were at school to see what was going on inside of them...

> They go for over 2 weeks colonizing...

2 weeks is a lot different than 4 weeks (two weeks sitting + two weeks colonizing). Think of it as a race between colonization and contamination. Why would you want to give the contamination a two week head start? During colonization, the mycelium is eating up food leaving less for contaminaties. The mycelium also has its own "immune system" to help fight off contamination. The mycelium is also changing its environment, letting off gases and metabolites which contamination might not be able to live in. Just because a jar comes out contamination free doesn't mean it started that way; and you might not ever even know it was contaminated in the first place.

> ive let them sit for far longer than a couple days

And you are still with us, so we know it can be safe. You can also walk outside in a thunderstorm, though eventually, if you do it enough, your gonna get hit by lightning.

--------------------

OfflineDarkShiv
Stranger
Re: how long before sterilized jar spoils? [Re: Seuss]
    #596272 - 04/02/02 08:05 AM (22 years, 1 day ago)

Relax, Suess here is paranoid. Sometimes it is good to let sit for a week just to see if contams pop up. If you do see something then they would probibly have spoiled the jar of shrooms you are making.

Remember we are not eating the substrate. We are eating the mushroom. The mycelium has already metabolized any nutriant that is passed on to the fruit so the chances of dangerous bacteria present in the mushroom is small. I would say nobody has ever died from letting some substrate sit for a week... or a month.

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: how long before sterilized jar spoils? [Re: DarkShiv]
    #596357 - 04/02/02 09:39 AM (22 years, 1 day ago)

I am always cautious, seldom paranoid.

> I would say nobody has ever died from letting some substrate sit for a week

Many people have died from improperly canned food. Not exactly the same thing, but not that far off either.

> chances of dangerous bacteria present in the mushroom is small

I worry about much more than just bacteria. There are other fungi, yeasts, molds, etc. These can not only infect the mushroom mycelium and fruitbodies, but can release toxins which get sucked up by the mushroom fruitbodies and ultimately end up in whoever eats them. Some organisms can also release spores (and endospores) which can make a person sick when inhaled or consumed.

> Sometimes it is good to let sit for a week just to see if contams pop up

This isn't a bad idea to do as a test to see if your sterilization techniques are good, but I wouldn't use the jar beyond the test.

> Remember we are not eating the substrate

Mushrooms eat substrate and we eat mushrooms qed. we eat substrate (transitive). Same thing happens with other organisms. We spray insect poison on plants. Insects eat the plants. Animals eat the insects. Animals die from the insect poison.

peace

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags