Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineUnder_net
enthusiast
Loc: kentucky
Potency picking when veil breaks as time goes onl
    #594415 - 03/31/02 09:08 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Since I have been hanging around here, which I guess to be about maybe 4 or 5 months thus far, I have seen many conflicting posts. Primarily on the subject of a shrooms potency:weight ratio after the veil breaks.
Some people say that as soon as the veil breaks the shroom will continue to grow, however none of the new growth with contain any "Active Ingredient".
I am no Mycologist, but I just find it hard to believe that a shroom growing out of a substrate packed with psylocibin will just stop pulling the active ingredient out of the substrate as it did before veil breakage.
Peronally I Do not pick any shrooms on a flush untill at least the majority of the shrooms have veil breakage.
In some situations, like when growing for printing, I will let the shrooms grow well past the veil tearing point. Not to mention I have a job, and you know as well as I, a 10 hour period can make a tremendous difference in growth.
I am also one of the people that get struck with a stomach attack on the decline end of my goodtime. (That feeling were I dont know what the hell I want, but nothing will do) What I'm getting too is this, if the potency in the large shrooms that have grown past the point, should I eat them, or just the smaller ones.
I hope you get what I'm getting at. Does anyone know of any serious studies that have been done about content per weight before and after veil breakage. Or is this just an urban legend that has slowly morphed into fact?
I hate to toss those extra large shroomies I have had popping up!!!

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineUnder_net
enthusiast
Loc: kentucky
Re: Potency picking when veil breaks as time goes onl [Re: Under_net]
    #594416 - 03/31/02 09:10 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I mean look at this

OfflineLSD_4me
addict
    #594448 - 03/31/02 09:38 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

IMO they continue to produce goodies well after veil breakage...

Anonymous

Re: Potency picking when veil breaks as time goes onl [Re: LSD_4me]
    #594487 - 03/31/02 10:15 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

In my opinion, you will likely not notice the difference in potency between a open cap and a closed one.

Also, once the viel breaks, they don't grow any taller, the cap merely opens up. Try this test: Close your fist, like a mushroom cap. Now open it. Did it gain any wieght?

OfflineDinoMyc
Ipsa scientiapotestas est
    #594499 - 03/31/02 10:24 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

There is an issue indirectly related to potency which is often overlooked :
if harvested just as the veil breaks, or shortly thereafter, the biological efficency is maximized, at least on a wide variety of cultivated gormet mushrooms. you get more total mushroom material.
The potency factor has been tested scientifically, however I do not feel like searching for the data today, sorry. If I remember correctly, it is not such a big deal, especially if you plan on printing.

--------------------
If I made affront, I apologize.
If I made affirmation, I apologize.
I merely came to listen, came to say.

InvisibleTarga
    #594528 - 03/31/02 11:18 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I'm no mycologist either, but a logical guess tells me that once the veil breaks and the cap opens, the shroom is not as interested in growing as it is in perpetuating the species (ie: once the cap opens, the priority switches from growth to spore production). Just a guess...

OfflineLSD_4me
addict
Re: Potency picking when veil breaks as time goes onl [Re: Targa]
    #594637 - 03/31/02 02:04 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

hey max that might be true on some strains, but a lot of strains the veil breaks early and they certainly do grow bigger, i know what your saying though and im sure you know this... , im just posting this for newer people who will think every shroom will stop growing taller right when the veil breaks :-)

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: Potency picking when veil breaks as time goes onl [Re: DinoMyc]
    #594894 - 03/31/02 08:04 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

There is no evidence that psilocybes stop producing alkaloids at the point when their veil breaks. As for most edible mushrooms being harvested at this point, where do you get that idea?? Each individual strain of mushroom is picked when it has the best flavour.
mushrooms like Lentinus Edobes are not harvested until their caps are nearly plane.
According to Stamets and Chilton (the mushroom cultivator) PS.Cubensis should be harvested soon after its veil ruptures before sporelation. But this is because they believe that the mushroom if left to mature will steal nutrients from future flushes.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures