Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, 10cc Syringe, Air Pump, Brown Rice Flour, Herb Grinder, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMawfz
Stranger
Humidity/Air exchange
    #5948707 - 08/09/06 10:41 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Hi all! Long time lurker, first time poster here. I finally bit the bullet and decided to make a go at a PF tek grow. I used a 10cc syringe of Amazonian to inoculate 6 jars, and another 10cc syringe of Ecuador on another 6 jars.

I've read the MMGG, PF Tek, and many other teks and hundreds of posts on this board. I apologize if any of these questions can be answered elsewhere, but I've read some conflicting and confusing information, and I'm hoping the pros here can help a newbie out. Here goes:

1. I ground my own BRF from long grain brown rice. The first batch for the first six jars (I staggered the batches by a week in case I had problems with my procedure) was made with the grinder on a coarser setting (for drip coffee). Consequently, the rice didn't quite make it into a powder, and is a bit coarser, like a very coarse sand. I already have excellent growth on 5/6 jars after 6 days, so I'm hoping this isn't a problem. Can I expect any difficulties down the road?

2. More importantly, I'm torn on how to proceed with my FC. In the MMGG, they recommend going with a sonic humidifier, but from dozens of accounts that I've read, they can be clumsy to set up, and you can easily end up oversaturating, or sometimes drying out your cakes.

Which brings me to perlite - it seems like this is the most popular humidification technique, and I have no qualms about trying it. The concern though is air exchange. What is my best option for making sure there is no excessive CO2 buildup? I know people put holes in their lids, but doesn't that make keeping your humidity up nearly impossible?

Thanks for any help that anyone can provide. I'm really excited for my first grow, and also to join this wonderful community of like-minded individuals.

-Mawfz

Edited by Mawfz (08/09/06 10:42 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGreenScreen
bidibodi bidibu
 User Gallery

Loc: ation
Re: Humidity/Air exchange [Re: Mawfz]
    #5948738 - 08/09/06 10:53 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

im not sure about the br"sand" but since it seems to be working well at this point i doubt youll have problems

as for the humidification. if youre willing to spend the money and thats what you want go ahead and get a humidifier, it might just take some adjusting of the on/off times to get the right rh.

but if you want something cheaper then go with the perlite. with perlite you can use an aquarium pump for fae. just go to the store and get a cheap $10 pump with a bubblestone

goodluck with your first grow

--------------------

Offlinedarkbuster
Hometown Zero
Male User Gallery

Re: Humidity/Air exchange [Re: GreenScreen]
    #5948770 - 08/09/06 11:03 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

you will have no problems with the chunkier BRF.

as for humidity, i would also recommend perlite with air air pump/bubbler system feeding your FC with fresh air. this is probably one of the simplest, and easiest methods to use for a first time grow.

--------------------

Z-strain on BRF cake.

Offlineimtank
Self-Taught Fool
Male

Loc: somewhere around Barstow,...
Re: Humidity/Air exchange [Re: GreenScreen]
    #5948772 - 08/09/06 11:03 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

you have to put holes in the tub for air exchange, just fill it with polyfil to keep contams out, also you should put the holes and inch or two about your casing/cakes becuase CO2 sits at the bottom of the tub...if your tub starts to get a little dry then just mist it with a bottle sprayer... and fan to get the excess CO2 out...you just have to keep a good eye on them all the time ...if you don't feel like monitoring your FC everyday and putting a good amount of time in to caring for your babies then your probably in the wrong hobby...

--------------------
'To be positive at all times is to ignore all that is important, sacred or valuable. To be negative at all times is to be threatened by ridiculousness and instant discredibility.'
-Kurt Kobain

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, 10cc Syringe, Air Pump, Brown Rice Flour, Herb Grinder, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation