Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinestormhalter
full metalalchemist

Loc: Behind you.
My contribution to the community.
    #5936383 - 08/06/06 08:03 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Hey everyone,

I started my first journal entry last night and submitted a how-to on modifying a Vicks V400 CM Humidifier. I decided to do this over the weekend after constantly seeing repetitive posts asking what type to buy, where to buy it, what brand and how to modify it.

So I started a journal entry based on those points eexactly. It can be found via this link. (:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5936368/an/0/page/0

I will throw it in this thread as a reply -- comments and suggestions are welcome and can be put in my journal or here if you'd like.

Happy Shrooming!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinestormhalter
full metalalchemist

Re: My contribution to the community. [Re: stormhalter]
    #5936385 - 08/06/06 08:04 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

In reading this journal entry you will learn how to modify an impeller-driven cool mist humidifier.  The particular model we are going to use in this write-up will be the Vicks V400 Cool Mist Humidifier.

I decided to start this how-to based on the fact that I myself had alot of trouble finding reliable and "connected" information based on 3 critical points that seemed to be left out on many posts in the forums.  When I say connected and critical points I am referring to the following:

a) Brand of humidifier
b) Purchasing location
c) How to modify it

After spending much time researching and asking my own questions about humidifiers I have settled on the Vicks V400 Cool Mist Humidifier.  I was unable to find the 420, which is what I originally wanted, so I settled with this.

On that note, let's get a few things out of the way first.

a) Model: Vicks V400
b) Purchased at: Publix
c) Continue to read on how to mod this properly.

Now, to modify this humidifier the following items/tools were used.

-12v Drill
-11/64 Drill bit
-Stepper bit or paddle bit
-3 ft. Vinyl 1 1/4" tubing
-2 hose clamps
-1 Flathead screw driver
-1 3/4" Male PVC end adapter

Below we have the humidifier in its unaltered state

The heart and soul of this particular humidifier, and what you want, the impeller cone:

Let’s start by choosing one of the bottom corners on the lid, for our pilot hole to begin our modification.  In this case I chose the bottom left due to it being free of any markings or logos.  Using a decent sized drill bit (in my case I used an 11/64 bit) drill your pilot hole.  Once this hole is drilled, go ahead and attach your paddle or stepper bit, and start to widen your pilot hole with gentle pulses of the trigger.  We don’t want to crack the plastic. :smile:

I spent nearly an hour etching (with the stepper bit and a file) away millimeters very carefully until I was actually able to thread the ¾” Male PVC adapter through.  Silicone wasn’t required at that point as I had a nice tight seal.  You may want to consider applying silicone though, and allowing it to dry over-night if it makes it through the hole too easily and isn’t snugly screwed in via the threading.

Once completed your end result should look similar to this.

Now, let’s slide the hose clamp over our vinyl tubing, and squeezing the tube onto the newly fitted ¾” adapter.

Hand tighten the clamp with your flathead screwdriver.

Now simply cover up the original exhaust port.  I’m a firm believer in duct tape.  Some people have their own methods, which ever works for you.

Here is the end result:

A modified Vicks V400 Cool Mist Humidifier that is ready to be applied to the plumbing of your fruiting chamber to provide FAE and humidity.  The second hose clamp will be used to secure the opposite end of the tubing.

Offlineimtank
Self-Taught Fool
Male

Loc: somewhere around Barstow,...
    #5936392 - 08/06/06 08:07 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

nice tek man... i wish i wasnt so lazy and poor  5 :mushroom2:

--------------------
'To be positive at all times is to ignore all that is important, sacred or valuable. To be negative at all times is to be threatened by ridiculousness and instant discredibility.'
-Kurt Kobain

Offlinestormhalter
full metalalchemist

Re: My contribution to the community. [Re: imtank]
    #5936397 - 08/06/06 08:12 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks Tank! It was a bit pricey. Which reminds me, I wanted to throw up total cost on here.

2x Hose clamps: $1.10 each
1x 3/4" Male PVC adapter: $0.54
1x 3ft. 1 1/4" Vinyl tubing: $1.39 per ft.
1x Vicks V400: $25.99

Getting to use your tools from work: Priceless (:

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #5936537 - 08/06/06 09:50 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Nice looking writeup bro  :thumbup:

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: My contribution to the community. [Re: FooMan]
    #5936598 - 08/06/06 10:34 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Agreed, nice writeup and pictures.

The only problem with that is in my experience it won't last over three months that way. The small amount of static pressure caused by the small hose, and blocking the intended output will force the mist up into the motor bushings, ruining them. After a month or two, they get really noisy, then fail shortly afterwards. I did similar modifications to this for many years, even using a two inch pvc pipe from the humidifier and never once had a coolmist last over 90 days, and of course you can't return them to the store for credit if they've been modified.

I have since switched to having the unmodified humidifiers sit on a shelf inside the greenhouse and I'm now over a year without a failure. If you wish the humidifier to provide air exchange, you can cut a hole in the greenhouse large enough for half of the coolmist to sit inside the greenhouse, with the intake half of the coomist sitting outside the greenhouse. This way, you don't increase the static pressure, and of course if it does fail during the two year warranty, you can return it to the store for credit.

It would be interesting to hear from people that have used such a setup and had the humidifiers last the warranty period. They just have not done so in my grow areas.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinestormhalter
full metalalchemist

Re: My contribution to the community. [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5936621 - 08/06/06 10:48 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Thank you FooMan!

RR, you raise interesting points. It does make sense. As it stands right now I am not using a greenhouse yet. I'm still in the tub stage.

Perhaps what I will try to do is provide two exhaust ports and connect the tubing to a T valve. Or, perhaps even try to run both seperate tubes to the piping that dispenses the humid air into the tub.

Back to the drawing board for improvements. Thank you. (:

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #5936657 - 08/06/06 11:13 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

You could always buy 2 units at Wally World. Modify one and leave the other alone. Then whenever a motor goes bad, swap it with the other motor. Return the bad motor with the non-modified base for an exchange. Rinse, repeat. You will have a new coolmist every time.

I think RR's idea is easier though :smirk:

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlineunkempt
Im unkempt

Re: My contribution to the community. [Re: FooMan]
    #5936661 - 08/06/06 11:17 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

im too cheap to buy 2....i reuse the postage stamps i get in the mail :\

OfflineYamidude
Stranger

Re: My contribution to the community. [Re: unkempt]
    #5936699 - 08/06/06 11:33 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

dryer ducting for me. little to no static pressure..

Invisiblemonstermitch
Growing in Bags Doesn't Work

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Arizona Bay Flag
Re: My contribution to the community. [Re: Yamidude]
    #5936935 - 08/06/06 12:51 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Hippie Chick noted that adding a second outlet hose reduced the static pressure and increased the life of the motor quite a bit.

Even after that though, I still had burning out motors.
Yes you can return the motor and keep the modified base,
but that is such a hassle.

And who needs a greenhouse with a coolmist temporarily not working?

A month back or so I switched to RR's way of putting them inside the greenhouse.

I keep the doors slightly open and run the coomist on a timer.
Each unit and greenhouse is different, so you'll have to tweak the timer.
I haven't had a problem since,
and I only have to fill them once every week and half to two weeks now.

Remember to keep humidity readings on all shelves in all places with a greenhouse. Sometimes there are dead spots with outside coolmists.
You'll have to have multiple inlets with an outside coolmist, so that second outlet tube will help there too.

Just seems so much easier to me to stick one inside on a timer.

But very nice write-up by the way.

--------------------

OfflineShaqAttack
JarHead

Loc: Armpit of the North East
Re: My contribution to the community. [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5937638 - 08/06/06 04:47 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Hi - How's it going? I love the Idea of the coolmist right in the fruiting chamber. What do you think of using a Martha and:

1) Putting the cool mist in the top of the fruiting chamber inside it

2) Putting a small exhaust fan in the bottom of the fruiting chamber - blowing out of the closet

3) Puttin a small hole in the top of the closet or leaving the zipper undone for a fresh air intake

Thanks
Shaq

Offlinestormhalter
full metalalchemist

Re: My contribution to the community. [Re: ShaqAttack]
    #5937667 - 08/06/06 04:57 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

When I switch to a greenhouse I will use RR's method. (:

FooMan, that's sneaky -- I love it, haha.

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: My contribution to the community. [Re: monstermitch]
    #5945428 - 08/08/06 07:44 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Mitch- the Wally World deal was kind of a joke, but it would work if you were inclined (or crazy enough) to keep doing it. There would be no downtime in the green house because you would switch the motor that went bad with the new one, then return the bad motor with the new base.

As said before, RR's idea beats the hell out the Wally World switcharoo. Any pics of your greenhouse Mitch?

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds