Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinepsilo25
The one stuck inthe middle ofthis hopelessmess.

Loc: over here
money = ego
    #593919 - 03/30/02 06:31 PM (22 years, 4 days ago)

Let's see if anyone can agree with me on this. I'll try to make it short and sweet.The human ego, I sincerely believe, is one of the key attributes that separates humans from the rest of the animal kingdom. The ego has but one goal, and that is power. The ego seeks to expand as much as possible and become more and more powerful. Now, what institution in this world represents power more than anything else? MONEY. The more money you have, the more powerful you are. This may be a rather loosely made conclusion, but I believe that money is simply the physical manifestation of the human ego. The ego is primarily resposible for all of mankind's evils, but it can also be said, in the words of Pink Floyd, that "Money is the root of all evil today". Our egoes push and push for more power, and as we became more intelligent and conscious of the power we could exert over others, we developed a need for a physical means of representing this power. Hence, money.

--------------------
Stand up for your freedoms, join the fight against the War on Drugs!

www.drcnet.org
www.drugpolicyalliance.org
www.drugsense.org

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
Re: money = ego [Re: psilo25]
    #593933 - 03/30/02 06:44 PM (22 years, 4 days ago)

I like the idea of money being the direct manifestation of the ego. I think you're on to something there.

--------------------

Offlinepsilo25

Re: money = ego [Re: Revelation]
    #593938 - 03/30/02 06:53 PM (22 years, 4 days ago)

Thank you, Revelation.
I developed this idea very recently, though I do believe it needs some further development. Hopefully, with some of the input from people in this forum, I can accomplish this.

--------------------

www.drcnet.org
www.drugsense.org

Offlinefrogsheath
Stranger
Loc: Chicago, Illinois U.S.A.
    #593953 - 03/30/02 07:16 PM (22 years, 4 days ago)

Yeah, I seem to have to agree. You ever hear of Adam Smith? I don't
know if I have his name right but I think he developed this theory about
money. I think it's called ...shit I forget. Anyway he's some Scottish dude
from the 1700's. He is largely responsible for our capitalist system.

Offlinepsilo25

Re: money = ego [Re: frogsheath]
    #593964 - 03/30/02 07:40 PM (22 years, 4 days ago)

No, I can't say I have of heard of him. I'll have to look that up. Thx for the info.

--------------------

www.drcnet.org
www.drugsense.org

OfflineCrapula
explorer
    #594008 - 03/30/02 08:27 PM (22 years, 4 days ago)

Good job!!! You've finally gained a grasp of the world we live in. Althoough not everyone is on the money-ego trip(is anything really absolute????). The ones that are....are good at it. They are our "leaders"...from the smallest town to the strongest countries. Money controls our laws, our lives, and even sometimes our morality(if we let it). The more money someone has the more control they have over others. And sadly the more full of themselves, and out of touch with reality they become. It seems so wrong but it is the world we live in. Like you quoted from Pink Floyd, "money IS the root of all evil" ... or so it seems. Or is it really ego- tripping ass holes who use money and power to fullfill some void in their existance. Anyone's guess is as good as another. Everyone has their vice.

Invisiblelowrider
ridin high
Re: money = ego [Re: Crapula]
    #594086 - 03/30/02 10:17 PM (22 years, 4 days ago)

Indeed, although, money itself is just colored paper. It is however a symbol of human greed.

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
    #594168 - 03/30/02 11:52 PM (22 years, 4 days ago)

watch the movie Blow

let the wind always blow on your back
and the sun always shine on your face
and the winds of destiny carry you aloft
to dance with the stars

oh, and that rave with spoken words by Terence McKenna and music by Space/Time Continuum would be a nice addition to your theories

peace

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #594261 - 03/31/02 02:38 AM (22 years, 4 days ago)

The human ego, I sincerely believe, is one of the key attributes that separates humans from the rest of the animal kingdom. The ego has but one goal, and that is power.
Actually that is one trait (search / respect for power) that we share with animals. Power rules in all species. Look at human and animal mating rituals. The biggest and baddest male gets the most or choicest females. It is the very same with humans, though in a more complicated arena. Power may be manifested as physical size, youth, money, prestige, accomplishments, etc, but is far from being unique to humans.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: money = ego [Re: Swami]
    #594280 - 03/31/02 03:34 AM (22 years, 4 days ago)

Not sure if the comparison holds. In the animal kingdom it's necessary for some species (but by no means all - many species work on co-operation and sharing power) to have the breeding done by the most powerful and intelligent males to ensure stronger offspring. If lioness's mated with the skinniest, weakest lion in the worst health, the species would quickly die out. Nothing to do with seeking power - just simple survival.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #594284 - 03/31/02 03:50 AM (22 years, 4 days ago)

To be more specific, I'd say the -love- of money is the root.
Money itself is just a tool.
Tools are morally neutral.
You can take a hammer and build a house.
Or you can knock someone in the head with it and take their money.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

Offlinepsilo25

Re: money = ego [Re: Swami]
    #594400 - 03/31/02 08:53 AM (22 years, 3 days ago)

Yes, we do share our quest for power with other members of the animal kingdom. The difference is, animals do this out of pure survival instinct, the need to continue their species existence. I believe this would fall under the id, not the ego. Humans, however, are more self-conscious of this capability of exerting power over their world. This consciousness and self-identity is the "ego". I believe I stated that the ego is unique to the human race, not power. Look around, all the people with the greatest power in this world are also in posession of the greatest amounts of money. Never do I see those with accomplishments, prestige, etc. with the power that those with money have. With enough money, one can do anything in this world, further satisfying the ego.

--------------------

www.drcnet.org
www.drugsense.org

OfflineskaMariaPastora
Utopiate
Loc: MA
    #594650 - 03/31/02 02:31 PM (22 years, 3 days ago)

I think our greed and desire for power and money is a result of our animal instincts. When our consciousness evolved from monkey to human, we didn't acquire new tendencies that led to our world full of power-hungry businessmen, greedy lawyers and crooked politicians. They are a throwback of our primal instincts of attracting and bagging the most or best mate, as Swami mentioned. We are coming to a time in human evolution that we have to abandon these instincts that no longer have any relevance to survival and adopt a new set of values, or else we will destroy ourselves. Our ability (or lack of ability) to transcend this will be of utmost importance in determing our future.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order