Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepsychofanatic
Stranger
Male
Benzodiazapine/mushroom question.
    #5940260 - 08/07/06 09:47 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I was wondering if it would effect the trip in anyway to take some xanax or something to calm my nerves? And is it the same with acid? Also i'm buying some shrooms today and they are selling for 10$ a gram. Is that straight or a rip off?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAbrainspot
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: Rewind
Re: Benzodiazapine/mushroom question. [Re: psychofanatic]
    #5940328 - 08/07/06 10:20 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

If you use xanax regularly then it wont effect the trip as much as if you didnt. Ive done 1mg with both mushrooms and acid before. Takes the edge off a mushroom trip. I snorted a 0.5mg on a acid trip once, got enhanced visuals, a numbing effect, it was definitely key

InvisiblezSDMF
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: lost in nothing Flag
Re: Benzodiazapine/mushroom question. [Re: Abrainspot]
    #5940354 - 08/07/06 10:31 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

typically if you tak ea lot of benzos you'll wanna go to sleep, regardless of where the trip is takin ya. some people eat benzos to 'terminate' trips in a sense. i always take xanax maybe 9 or 10 hours after eating acid to go to sleep. no point in being awake after that imo.

Offlinepsychofanatic
Stranger
Male
Re: Benzodiazapine/mushroom question. [Re: zSDMF]
    #5940408 - 08/07/06 10:57 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

So what do you mean it takes the edge off of mushrooms? like the buzz or the visuals? The main thing i'm wondering is if it would effect the visuals, i don't really care about the buzz so much. The reason i'm wanting to take it is for panic attacks on psychedelics. will it help with that?

And zSDMF what aspect of the trip do people terminate with benzos? Is it just so they can go to sleep?

InvisibleAbrainspot
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #5940499 - 08/07/06 11:22 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I dont think ive ever seen a decrease in visuals while on xanax. It slows the trip down, decreases the body high somewhat. Xanax isnt made to be mixed with mushrooms so it wont garentee anxiety relief, i wouldnt rely on it atleast.

Benzo's are sedatives, so the more you take you'll eventually just pass out. For example afoaf took a half oz of mushrooms at a phish concert once. He said it was to intense so he took a bunch of valium to pass out

InvisibleLand_Crab
NeuroticPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: U.S.
    #5940577 - 08/07/06 11:47 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

From a psychopharmacological point of view, benzodiazepines aren't going to directly "counteract" any of the effects of mushrooms. That's mainly because they both work on different neurotransmitter systems (GABA vs. serotonin).
However, they will reduce anxiety and may produce side effects like sedation and short-term memory loss. That will alter your experience of the trip a bit, but it won't do much to reduce the sensory distortions/hallucinations unless you take so many benzos that you're barely awake--in which case they will be "muted".
If you have problems with anxiety and panic, it's a good idea to take some benzos and/or have some on hand. Just pay attention to your dosages. Try not to take anymore than you really need.

OfflineLazyCrash
I like gas.
Male User Gallery

Loc: T-Town
    #5940582 - 08/07/06 11:50 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I regularly use xanax to go to sleep at the end of a trip as well. I've never taken it during the 'meat' of a trip, though.

But my friend, who has a problem with xanax, has taken xanax before eating shrooms many times. This kid trips way harder than me, and I would believe that is the reason. Before he had a problem with xanax, we'd have very equal trips...but apparently he gets intense visuals with this combo.

--------------------
:mallow:

Offlinepsychofanatic
Stranger
Male
Re: Benzodiazapine/mushroom question. [Re: LazyCrash]
    #5941201 - 08/07/06 03:49 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

so it will eliminate my anxiety? Does that mean that i will not have a panic attack after taking a psychedlic if i take a benzo?

InvisibleAbrainspot
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #5941223 - 08/07/06 03:58 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Thats difficult to say. It depends on the user, dosage, setting, etc.

Offlinetwiggedoubt
twigburst
Male User Gallery

#5941255 - 08/07/06 04:12 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Dosage is the biggest thing with benzos. Too much will put you to sleep, not enough won't do anything. Its pretty easy to figure the dose out if you've done benzos before though, but if you haven't it is pretty easy to take more then you need, as some people take entire 2 mg xanax, while others take much less. Personally, I think .5 mg should be enough for most people, some take more cause they like benzos or they have a tolerence.

Offlinepsychofanatic
Stranger
Male
Re: Benzodiazapine/mushroom question. [Re: twiggedoubt]
    #5941714 - 08/07/06 06:43 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Also after i take a psychedelic and say i feel a panic attack coming onto me. I don't want to just take a benzo orally because i'd have to wait to long for the effects. Could i snort it, or is that a bad idea?

OfflineTheSlapnCapn
Slappin' thangs.
Male User Gallery

Loc: zee mountain state
    #5941780 - 08/07/06 06:59 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

you can snort it... you'll probly notice it burning a lot more than normal though because you're tripping... 

it seems to me that benzos pretty much kill a trip... maybe that's just cause tripping to me is like riding the edge and benzos are like the opposite of the edge... they grind down the edge until i'm grounded... but yeah... having benzos on hand can be enough security usually to keep you from losing your shit... then if you do lose your shit you can use the benzos... but if you're not into losing your shit... why are you tripping? :smile:

anyhow... a lot of people find that the anxiety is usually at the beginning of the trip and its good to take a little bit of xanax about an hour before they dose...

-j

--------------------
I promise to live, love, exist, and be, and hope that all life will love to be in existence with me. Also, fuck you.

-j

InvisibleLand_Crab
NeuroticPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

#5941998 - 08/07/06 07:58 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

psychofanatic said:
Also after i take a psychedelic and say i feel a panic attack coming onto me. I don't want to just take a benzo orally because i'd have to wait to long for the effects. Could i snort it, or is that a bad idea?

If I recall correctly, you can technically snort benzodiazepines, but the effectiveness is greatly reduced compared to taking them orally.
If you have little to no food in your stomach and you take something like Xanax, it should hit you relatively quickly -- say about 30+ minutes. 

Things you can do to minimize the chances of a panic attack:
- Take a "safe" dose to start with (e.g. 1.5 grams.)
- Make sure you are in a comfortable environment (e.g. not in public; around good friends.)
- Take a conservative dose of benzodiazepine at the same time you take your shrooms.
- Only take the shrooms if you are ready.

I've had problems with anxiety and panic attacks, though oddly enough I've never had a panic attack on shrooms or any other psychedelic for that matter.  (Well maybe once or twice out of like 400 experiences.)
--That's not to say that you will have the same experience as me, but try not to dwell too much on the possibility of having an anxiety attack.  And even if you do, know that your experience will not last forever.  You'll get through it.  If you have benzos on hand, they are a great "safety net" if you're predisposed towards anxiety.

Who knows, you might even have a good time!  :cool:

Offlinetwiggedoubt
twigburst
Male User Gallery

Re: Benzodiazapine/mushroom question. [Re: Land_Crab]
    #5942719 - 08/07/06 11:48 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Don't snort benzos, if anything hold them under your tounge for a few minutes until it disolves then swallow. This is the fastest and more effective way to take them.

Offlinepsychofanatic
Stranger
Male
    #5943578 - 08/08/06 10:08 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

twiggedoubt said:
Don't snort benzos, if anything hold them under your tounge for a few minutes until it disolves then swallow. This is the fastest and more effective way to take them.

How long will this method take to kick in?

Offlinetwiggedoubt
twigburst
Male User Gallery

#5943689 - 08/08/06 10:59 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Like 10 minutes.

OfflineEquilibriuM
dream stalker

#5943820 - 08/08/06 11:36 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

anxiety is part of the experience. don't hide from it.

--------------------
HELP!!!!!!!!!

Offlinefoxyhotme
goose
Male
Re: Benzodiazapine/mushroom question. [Re: EquilibriuM]
    #5943853 - 08/08/06 11:46 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

perhaps instead of taking a strong sedative like xanax for anxiety while tripping you could take 10 mg of buspirone. I just recently found these, though quite common as an alternative to xanax.

"Buspirone shares some of the properties of the benzodiazepines and the neuroleptics, as well as demonstrating other pharmacological action. It attenuates punishment suppressed behavior in animals and exerts a taming effect, but is devoid of anticonvulsant and muscle relaxant properties and does not bind to the benzodiazepine/GABA receptor complex."

Pretty much it nullifies anxiety while not impairing ones motor skills. I've yet to try it on mushrooms, never needed to. but my guess is that it would not be as conflicting as xanax. In my experience they are not typically "recreational" the way a quad bar is, due to its sedative and muscle relaxing qualities... but damn they sure do stop any anxiety related thoughts from creeping into your noggin..

Invisiblehoboblues
Male
    #5943870 - 08/08/06 11:52 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

EquilibriuM said:
anxiety is part of the experience. don't hide from it.

anxiety shouldn't be part of the experience. anxiety is what hinders a person to expand their thoughts.

I'd say take the pill only if you absolutely need to. If you feel a panic attack coming on, try and relax yourself, without the pill, telling yourself it's all in your head. Change your setting, go for a walk, anything to get your mind off what's causing you to panic.

Psychedelics aren't about anxiety, that's ridiculous.

--------------------

Edited by hoboblues (08/08/06 11:55 AM)

OfflineEquilibriuM
dream stalker

Re: Benzodiazapine/mushroom question. [Re: hoboblues]
    #5943900 - 08/08/06 11:59 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Your thoughts are what hinder you, learn to deal with your emotions. Doping is not the solution.

Your telling me that you dont get anxious every trip?

--------------------
HELP!!!!!!!!!

Offlinetwiggedoubt
twigburst
Male User Gallery

#5946244 - 08/09/06 12:07 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Easy to say from someone that never bad a panic attack every time they trip without benzos. Shit I need benzos when I'm sober, if I trip without them I am lost. Also, not everyone is Ubber 133t like yourself, so don't hate.

OfflineEquilibriuM
dream stalker

#5946784 - 08/09/06 08:24 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Living life on those things is not healthy. I'm not "Ubber 133t" or any other kind of elitist bullshit you want to project at me. I'm just a man and I understand that I shouldn't rely on drugs that hinder my awareness in daily life. Those things fuck up your head man. I understand reality can be difficult to deal with, but you're here and your alive, so be real.

--------------------
HELP!!!!!!!!!

OfflineHerbus

Loc: Reading the map...
    #5946892 - 08/09/06 09:53 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

EquilibriuM said:
Living life on those things is not healthy. I'm not "Ubber 133t" or any other kind of elitist bullshit you want to project at me. I'm just a man and I understand that I shouldn't rely on drugs that hinder my awareness in daily life. Those things fuck up your head man. I understand reality can be difficult to deal with, but you're here and your alive, so be real.

Back and forth, back and forth...

A slight hypoactivity or hyperactivity of certain proteins associated with the GABA receptor system can greatly fluctuate levels of anxiety within an individual. So, if an individual is born with a hypoactivity or hyperactivity of a certain protein, it is probable to see why some individuals may experience higher levels of anxiety, or lower levels, than others.

As far as whether or not they should be medicated, sterilized, blah ba blah blah blah. Point is, things are quite complicated on a molecular level and until we fully understand the processes involved, nobody can generate a definitive answer on the subject.

That said, I agree with many aspects of your post, Equilibrium, but not everyone is programmed like you or me... etc... And Benzos are definitely not a super-drug, they make you feel retarded and they work by essentially releasing chlorites into neurons which results in cell sedation. CHLORINE. Supposedly for some people they "work," although I must question the competency of a professional individual working under the influence of such medication.

I do enjoy them recreationally with a good ale, though. hahahah

--------------------

Offlinepsychofanatic
Stranger
Male
Re: Benzodiazapine/mushroom question. [Re: Herbus]
    #5948307 - 08/09/06 06:37 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I'm going to give it a shot.

Offlinepsychofanatic
Stranger
Male
    #5964013 - 08/14/06 08:18 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Hey i took a xanax bar the other day and after about an hour i felt real sick and nuasious. Is that normal? Can i do anything, or take anything with it next time to prevent this? I've taken up to two xanax bars at the same time before in the past and never felt the least bit sick. wtf

Offlinepsychofanatic
Stranger
Male
    #5982439 - 08/20/06 09:26 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks, I'm going to give it a shot. After all if worse comes to worse i could take a bunch of xanax and fall asleep to abort the trip, right?

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#5983483 - 08/21/06 10:24 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Maybe temazapam ??,I used to take that when I had panic attacks

InvisibleLand_Crab
NeuroticPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: psychiatric medication [Re: EquilibriuM]
    #5984020 - 08/21/06 02:47 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I don't think there's any question that psychiatric medication such as benzodiazepines have a legitimate use and an illegitimate use. They are the most effective drug to use for anxiety -- the "magic bullet". Unfortunately, some doctors and psychiatrists don't really understand how to prescribe these drugs correctly, and end up overprescribing at the expense of therapy, which should always come first.

I wouldn't expect anyone who has not had an anxiety attack to really understand how helpful these medicines can be. Anxiety is normal to a certain extent, beyond which it is unhealthy and potentially debilitating. Having a panic attack is a horrible experience, particularly if it occurs out of the blue.
You basically experience the same level of anxiety that a person would if they came face-to-face with a grizzly bear protecting her young; except you're not in the forest, you're at a dinner party. Your body mobilizes for the "fight-or-flight" response, and you either want to run out of there screaming or shoot everyone; (at least, that was my experience a few times.)

However, with a combination of (mainly) cognitive/behavioral therapy and some well-prescribed (i.e. the least amount or potency possible in order to make progress) medication, I basically never get panic attacks any more.

Offlinetwiggedoubt
twigburst
Male User Gallery

Re: psychiatric medication [Re: Land_Crab]
    #5988448 - 08/23/06 12:03 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Many drs won't even script benzos, especially to people that have drug problems. It sure helped me though in the dose they gave me, and many times that dose needs to be raised due to tolerence. Of course their is a ceiling, but its different in everyone.

OfflineMuppet69_420
Speed feeder
Male User Gallery

Re: psychiatric medication [Re: twiggedoubt]
    #5988725 - 08/23/06 04:22 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I'm going the 24th to my shrink to analyse my condition of anxiety/panic attacks also mentioning insomnia occasionally making my sleep habits a drag. The only drug I can see being prescribed is Xanax. Buspar is for long-term and isn't for short-term, which is what I have. I say this not because of its half-life but because of its time needed until ti effects you..(1-2weeks). So buspar wouldn't do anything for you if you did shrooms and wanted relief. I'm sure I'll get cognitive behavioral therapy followed by xanax.

Im going to say that SNRI/SSRI's or anti-depressants in general wont be tolerated with me due to a tragic experience with a family meber taking prozac/zoloft.

--------------------
Quote:

I live to learn and learn to live.

forget w/e was here b4 it was meth gibberish.... :meff: :rail2: :rail: ....thats as old as my account...

On that note fart in public and grin. :publicfart:

Hail Shroomery!

Edited by Muppet69_420 (08/23/06 04:23 AM)

OfflineWronguy
Re: psychiatric medication [Re: Muppet69_420]
    #5988876 - 08/23/06 08:24 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Muppet69_420 said:
The only drug I can see being prescribed is Xanax.

Think again. Benzos are rarely prescribed by doctors anymore due to their short half life and dependency. Don't be surprised if Paxil, Lexapro, Zoloft, or Prozac are prescribed. While these drugs, commonly known as Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs), will help with the symptoms of anxiety and/or panic disorder, they do take a couple of weeks before the benefits will start to show.

I highly recommend you seek alternative means for your anxiety/panic disorder. If you do see a psychiatrist, talk to them about cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). The only cure for anxiety is you, period. You are the only one who can rid yourself of anxiety and panic disorders. Taking drugs and/or talking about your anxiety will only make it worse in some cases and will not be the ultimate solution. Drugs only mask the symptoms of anxiety. Come off the drugs and the anxiety is still there.

Want some real help? Check out the Linden Method.

Good luck to you.

Offlinepsychofanatic
Stranger
Male
Re: psychiatric medication [Re: Muppet69_420]
    #6000286 - 08/26/06 10:46 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Muppet69_420 said:
I'm going the 24th to my shrink to analyse my condition of anxiety/panic attacks also mentioning insomnia occasionally making my sleep habits a drag. The only drug I can see being prescribed is Xanax. Buspar is for long-term and isn't for short-term, which is what I have. I say this not because of its half-life but because of its time needed until ti effects you..(1-2weeks). So buspar wouldn't do anything for you if you did shrooms and wanted relief. I'm sure I'll get cognitive behavioral therapy followed by xanax.

Im going to say that SNRI/SSRI's or anti-depressants in general wont be tolerated with me due to a tragic experience with a family meber taking prozac/zoloft.

What tragic experience?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag