Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetommythehort
will eat yourbeef slow
Male

Loc: Christmas
Recycling PF jars that never germinated?
    #5936644 - 08/06/06 11:07 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I have about 15 PF jars that never germinated, never got contammed.... nothing. Other jars from this batch are doing great, some I had to slow down in fact because my poop isn't here yet. Would it be a terrible idea to throw these jars back in the pc for 60-90 mins or so and re-inoculate them from a liquid culture?

http://www.geocities.com/ghettoyhetti2000/p8050011.jpg

^That is my setup... everything in there is incubating. The white box is an air purifier/ionizer running at the lowest setting. The top jars are 1 pt. B+, the 2nd tier is millet & brf+fine vermiculite both hawaiian, next one is 2 jars of LC hawaiian and a 1qt WBS Puerto Rican and a 1 qt wheat berry hawaiian, below is a bunch of puerto rican/hawaiian.... the group to the left has not shown any sign of life in 2 weeks.

Throwing them in in a few minutes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCantiSama

Re: Recycling PF jars that never germinated? [Re: tommythehort]
    #5936665 - 08/06/06 11:18 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

dude, put those things in the dark. when you leave them in the light like that it will cause them to pin in the jars and that isn't what you want. you don't need an air purifier in the incubator, either. as for reusing jars, i say don't do it. the water content may be off since you inoculated them before and it really isn't that hard to just make new substrate.

--------------------
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #5936670 - 08/06/06 11:19 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

If they didn't germinate the first time, there may have been something wrong. Possibly the moisture content.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offline2FiNiTe
ConsideratlyKilling Me
Male User Gallery

Loc: New England
    #5936671 - 08/06/06 11:19 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

As long as they didnt show signs of contamination you should be ok.  You might want to resoak/boil it just to be sure your still holding the right moisture level.  But that is depending on how much time they sat while you were waiting on germination.

I recycle birdseed all the time.  It about the only thing I work with.  I was going to try WBS and BRF and I see you've already got that going.  You should let us know how that goes, I'd be interested to see.  Mine should be starting soon but I'm in the middle of moving 200 miles away so I have a little down time in which im spending colonizing about 20 qt. jars with wbs. I'll use all the gigantor storage bins and rubbermade containers I bought for storage during the move.  Ahhh I cant wait.  :smirk:

--------------------
"Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war that we know about peace, more about killing that we know about living."

General Omar N. Bradley

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Recycling PF jars that never germinated? [Re: 2FiNiTe]
    #5936674 - 08/06/06 11:23 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

2FiNiTe said:
As long as they didnt show signs of contamination you should be ok.  You might want to resoak/boil it just to be sure your still holding the right moisture level.  But that is depending on how much time they sat while you were waiting on germination.

I recycle birdseed all the time.  It about the only thing I work with.  I was going to try WBS and BRF and I see you've already got that going.  You should let us know how that goes, I'd be interested to see.  Mine should be starting soon but I'm in the middle of moving 200 miles away so I have a little down time in which im spending colonizing about 20 qt. jars with wbs. I'll use all the gigantor storage bins and rubbermade containers I bought for storage during the move.  Ahhh I cant wait.  :smirk:

He's talking about PF cakes. How can he guess how much moisture is in them? Sure, WBS can be rehydrated, but verm/BRF is much different. I say either wait it out to see if they're late bloomers or toss the cakes and start over.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #5936685 - 08/06/06 11:27 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Screw it, if you have enough LC going already and you don't care about possibly wasting it, go for it! It may just work. That's the good thing about LC's.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlinetommythehort
will eat yourbeef slow
Male

#5936686 - 08/06/06 11:27 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

They are in the dark, obviously I only turned the lights on to take the picture. They are also at a constant 83 degrees and 60% humidity just in case you were wondering.

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #5936698 - 08/06/06 11:33 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Light or dark won't hurt anything. If the cakes pin invitro just birth them. No big deal.

What concerns me is quote under your name:

"will eat your beef slow"

WTF does that mean? I mean, if you were a chick I'd be somewhat aroused, but it doesn't look like you are. Basically I'm hoping that's some kind of a joke and not a reference to love of man meat! :crazy:

Help me understand :confused:

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlinetommythehort
will eat yourbeef slow
Male

Re: Recycling PF jars that never germinated? [Re: FooMan]
    #5936715 - 08/06/06 11:43 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Lol nobody has ever taken it that way before... it is a quote from this retarded "D12" song. One of those guys says in some song "I'll eat your beef slow" referencing beef as like a conflict between he and another... I just always thought it was ridiculous, that's why I used it.

Offlinetommythehort
will eat yourbeef slow
Male

#5936721 - 08/06/06 11:46 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I am going to give it a shot, the only thing that worries me, at each point of inoculation there is a wet spot.... been there since inoculation, i took the tops off and sniffed and it just smells like brf... I'm not too worried about bacteria since it has looked like that for so long but if it is, will the PC take care of it?

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #5936744 - 08/06/06 11:54 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

tommythehort said:
I am going to give it a shot, the only thing that worries me, at each point of inoculation there is a wet spot.... been there since inoculation, i took the tops off and sniffed and it just smells like brf... I'm not too worried about bacteria since it has looked like that for so long but if it is, will the PC take care of it?

I would just start over. I didn't know you had opened the jars already. PC'ing them again will just cause them to lose more moisture. you can try, but it may not be worth the time.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #5936756 - 08/06/06 11:58 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

tommythehort said:
Lol nobody has ever taken it that way before... it is a quote from this retarded "D12" song. One of those guys says in some song "I'll eat your beef slow" referencing beef as like a conflict between he and another... I just always thought it was ridiculous, that's why I used it.

Alright then! Keep eating your beef! :grin:

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #5936816 - 08/06/06 12:14 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Don't recycle jars. 'Sterilization' is relative and never complete. It gives us a 'window of opportunity' for our mycelium to capture the substrate. Toss out the contents of old jars and make up fresh ones for each batch.

Dark is overrated. Normal room lighting has little to no effect on colonizing mycelium. Light only becomes a pinning trigger when it's in conjunction with full colonization and an increase in air exchange with a corresponding decrease in CO2 levels. I've allowed jars to colonize on an open shelf at normal indoor room temperature and normal indoor room lighting for years with no adverse results.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate