Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewhat
Stranger
Allergic reaction to mushrooms?
    #5930601 - 08/04/06 06:29 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Hi, i think i may be getting an allergic reaction when i take mushrooms.
I've had this reaction a few times, with vary degrees of strength.

What happens is I take the mushrooms and i feel fine. No sickness. But as the trip progresses I get more and more blocked up. I get phlegm in my throat which makes it weird to swallow, and a blocked nose, and my ears become slightly blocked. I not sure if my throat swells up too, cause I also find it hard work to breathe at some points, but this could be all in my head, caused by the other effects giving me paranoia. Then when I start to come down it all goes away. It's like a really bad dust allergy or hay-fever. I am allergic to dust and do have really bad hay-fever, so I was wondering if I could be allergic to the dried mushrooms, as they are like a dust when i grind them, and also because they are a type of mould.

Why is it exactly that mushrooms make you yawn? what are they actually doing to make you get watery eyes, etc? cause I feel like this could be related too.

The last time I did them I also get strange hot feelings on my body, like a feeling of heat down my sides. But when i touched the place it wasn't hot, so I'm not sure if this was just a one off weird thought from tripping.

I'd really like to get to the bottom of this, because it's getting to the point where it really spoils the trip, cause I'm always worrying if my body is ok, which makes it really hard to go with the flow.

Does anyone have this? Or have any advice on this?

cheers!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleStickyWater
Stranger
Re: Allergic reaction to mushrooms? [Re: what]
    #5930619 - 08/04/06 06:48 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Mushrooms aren't mold.

If this is a reoccuring problem then yes, it sounds like you may be allergic to the mushrooms, in which case I'd advise you to quit taking them as you can't be sure as to how severe your reactions may get.

Why do mushrooms make you yawn? I have no idea, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but yawning is a function used to deliver a large amount of oxygen to the brain to help wake you up and keep you alert. It could just be crossed signals (like when audio stimulation affects visual interpretation, etc). It could be your brain's way of reacting to the change in conciousness and telling the body to take in more oxygen to stay alert and more clear headed, maybe the extra stimulation of the brain makes it require more oxygen. All these are just speculation though.

Watery eyes occur when the eyes get irritated. Happense when you get dust in them, happense when you cry. It's all just irritation. I remember watching a show a LONG time ago that went into detail on the function of crying. I'm not sure why shrooms make your eyes water but both the yawning and watery eyes are normal effects. The blocking of the throat/nose/ears however does not sound normal and I'd guess that it's an allergic reaction.

InvisiblethatiAM
Stranger

Re: Allergic reaction to mushrooms? [Re: StickyWater]
    #5930661 - 08/04/06 07:26 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

My nose runs when I take mushies, but it's not so bad.  Definitely worth it!  I yawn a lot too :ooo:

OfflineHarvestTheBrain
CultDeVader

Loc: Usa
    #5930866 - 08/04/06 09:22 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

my bud had an allergic reaction to shrooms, his neck got swollen, and that was about the extent of it

the yawning is normal, i yawn my ass off on shrooms, watery eyes normal too...
ever feel like you pissed yourself?

Offlinestara
addict

Re: Allergic reaction to mushrooms? [Re: HarvestTheBrain]
    #5931709 - 08/04/06 02:52 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I think the described symptoms like(pains and other signals from the body)during a mushroom trip are because some receptors are more alert than usual so one can feel signals from the body(illnesses and indispositions) earlier than they are in the state of consciosness.As an example; once when I ate mushrooms I thought I had a problem with my teeths and went to the dentist ,however he told me finally one time in my life that I came to early and I turned home. :grin: but I'm serious about symptoms.

Invisibleitsbreck
Crunk
Male
Re: Allergic reaction to mushrooms? [Re: stara]
    #5931718 - 08/04/06 02:56 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

does anybody get the shivers when they trip mushrooms? mainly in the jaw?

--------------------
:psychsplit:  :psychsplit:  :psychsplit:  :psychsplit:

Offlineanonymous123
Peope AreStrange
Male

Re: Allergic reaction to mushrooms? [Re: HarvestTheBrain]
    #5931730 - 08/04/06 02:59 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

HarvestTheBrain said:
ever feel like you pissed yourself?

yes i kept looking at my pants to see if i actully did

InvisibleStickyWater
Stranger
Re: Allergic reaction to mushrooms? [Re: itsbreck]
    #5931781 - 08/04/06 03:11 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

itsbreck said:
does anybody get the shivers when they trip mushrooms? mainly in the jaw?

All the time... Usually accompanied by splitting double vision...

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Re: Allergic reaction to mushrooms? [Re: StickyWater]
    #5931826 - 08/04/06 03:23 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

haha all this stuff sounds so classic

the jaw shivers that culminates with a wave of 'buzzing' across your body that you can hear/feel/see at once

the 'i think i pissed myself' feeling. :smile: :smile:  if i had a dollar for every time me and my girl exchanged crotch grabs to reassure eachother we didn't piss ourselves, i'd be a very wealthy man :smile:

the yawning & watery eyes happens to me a lot too.  i think its a lot in your head - once the yawns start and you notice, they come more and more, but actually have found it to be related to how im sitting.  if im laid down completely its not so bad.  if im sitting up (especially sitting on the ground, not in a chair) it seems to be at its worse.  if i get up and walk around, it goes away - or maybe im just too distracted by some shiny object to notice :wink:  so next time the yawns get you, try moving around or repositioning yourself.

i do get stuffed up on occasion and have that 'its hard to breathe' feeling.  while maybe not the healthiest/smartest/whatever thing to do, ive found that decongestant nasal spray fixes that right up (i say maybe not the smartest because apparently there's nasal sprays that are 'addictive' and can actually damage your nasal cavities if you use them too often... one shot in each nostril with the 12 hour stuff fixes me for the night though.)  the stuffiness is certainly real and not just in your head, who knows what causes it... but that takes care of it for me.  the stuffiness seems to happen with lsd/lsa moreso than mushrooms... and seems to also be related to the time of the year - winter months when its dry out, i get stuffed up so much i carry that nasal spray right along with me if i know i might be dosing.  summertime, and especially if im outdoors in fresh air, doesn't seem to cause the problem

Offlineyageman
already dead
 User Gallery

Re: Allergic reaction to mushrooms? [Re: creamcorn]
    #5931903 - 08/04/06 03:42 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

These things are all normal reactions to mushrooms. Some people react more physically than others. For some these feelings get in the way quite a bit. Just because you feel congested, weighed down, and the feeling of a swollen neck does not mean you are allergic.

Even lsd can make your glands swell up, the body can get flushed(red), eyes water, flem builds up, coupled with hot/cold bodily sensations. It just depends on how much you take.

Many people get the slimey feeling aswell, the one that makes you feel like you pissed yourself.

The body goes through changes when tripping. Heart rate, blood pressure, and your mind changes in a profound way.
Symptoms can resemble fatigue or even a mild form of shock.
Its basically just mental and physical stress during the come up that will determine how bad your body feels for the duration.

Anxiety can take on many forms, and when it comes to psychedelics, I think there is a type of mental reaction that although you may not be worried or stressed(you could even be laughing your ass off) your body exibits symptoms of anxiety coupled with a strange form of fatigue. The kind of anxiety that effects the body and no words can really describe it because you might not feel anxiety mentally.

You could be having the time of your life while you grind away at your teeth by clenching your jaw.

--------------------
[quote]Me_Roy said:
You moron. Material is material is material.  No 'thing' fixes any situation.  If anything were so simple we would be living in a much better world.[/quote] <-----the dumbest thing I have ever read in my life.
Thanks shroomery.

Edited by yageman (08/04/06 03:44 PM)

Invisibleitsbreck
Crunk
Male
Re: Allergic reaction to mushrooms? [Re: yageman]
    #5931961 - 08/04/06 03:56 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

sometimes i feel that little thing that hangs from the back of your throat (i don't know what the fuck its called) touching the back of my tongue, it feels like I've got a big loogie stuck back there.

ive spent hours trying to spit something up thats not there (until i realized what it was of course)

could be related to swelling of the throat...it doesn't really bother me anymore though.

I've never met anybody else thats had this happen...weird feeling nonetheless

--------------------
:psychsplit:  :psychsplit:  :psychsplit:  :psychsplit:

Edited by itsbreck (08/04/06 04:14 PM)

Offlinewhat
Stranger
Re: Allergic reaction to mushrooms? [Re: itsbreck]
    #5931984 - 08/04/06 04:06 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

yeah, i've had that swell up and touch my tongue too, when i get a cold or a sore throat. i've had my tonsils out, and i've always had allergy/ear, nose and throat problems. i just wanted to check to see if anyone else had these problems, so i could reassure myself i'm not being really stupid by wanting to trip again.

OfflineDyeGreen
Super Stud
    #5932347 - 08/04/06 06:28 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Man I swear I pissed myself many many times... One night I must have asked "are my pants wet?" 200 times to my friends... Even when I try to feel them to make sure they even feel wet - happens when I get really really high too, weird.

Offlinestormhalter
full metalalchemist

Loc: Behind you.
Re: Allergic reaction to mushrooms? [Re: DyeGreen]
    #5932358 - 08/04/06 06:33 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Hmm, I yawn every time too. So don't fear that.

My eyes water up from the excessive yawning, that's what may be causing your eyes to water up as well.

As for the phlegm, that may indeed be a reaction. I'd be more careful. Perhaps try a different strain? Have you been monitoring these symptoms on one strain of mushies only?

InvisibleEndlessNameless
Stranger

Loc: Valley of the Sun
Re: Allergic reaction to mushrooms? [Re: stormhalter]
    #5932481 - 08/04/06 07:26 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Yawning is caused by a lack of oxygen, like someone mentioned before a yawns primary purpose is to take in oxygen. I think oxygen is caused by rapid breathing, shorter breaths mean less oxygen. On mushrooms people probably are in an excited state from the psychedelic effects of the shrooms causing rapid breathing, and that's why you yawn. As far as the watery eyes, I am not allergic to much and my eyes water where it's similar to crying when I am on them. It could be because of my contacts or simply because of the trip itself, I'm not sure.

InvisibleEndlessNameless
Stranger

Loc: Valley of the Sun
Re: Allergic reaction to mushrooms? [Re: DyeGreen]
    #5932492 - 08/04/06 07:29 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

DyeGreen said:
Man I swear I pissed myself many many times... One night I must have asked "are my pants wet?" 200 times to my friends... Even when I try to feel them to make sure they even feel wet - happens when I get really really high too, weird.

It's funny, the time before last I ate about 5 grams of dried shrooms and after tripping for a while, they were wreaking havoc on my gastrointestinal system. I had incredible gas, cramps and the on again / off again feeling of having to defecate. Because I would have the feeling so strong and it would go away I kept asking my girlfriend if I indeed shit my pants. It was pretty embarrassing, I didn't go to the bathroom and couldn't, I just had really bad gas and was paranoid and hung up on this issue lol. It's really the first time I experienced anything like this on mushrooms.

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Allergic reaction to mushrooms? [Re: EndlessNameless]
    #5932509 - 08/04/06 07:35 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

didn't read but the first few replys, but this is in regaurds to yawning....i was told yawning is caused by a build up of co2 in your body, when you yawn your releaseing the build up of it.....so if you are yawning more because of mushrooms...somehow they are causeing your body to produce more co2.

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

Invisibletruffleupagus
Male User Gallery

Re: Allergic reaction to mushrooms? [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #5932911 - 08/04/06 09:46 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I feel for you man. I've got a friggin' myriad of allergies but I'm thankful that I don't seem to be allergic to the important stuff.

Invisibletruffleupagus
Male User Gallery

Re: Allergic reaction to mushrooms? [Re: truffleupagus]
    #5932949 - 08/04/06 09:56 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Oh yeah, and somebody already said something about this but my understanding was this:

mushrooms are a fungus, mold is a fungus, but mushrooms aren't mold

You should see the building that I work out of for some mold. We just got hit by a flood about a month ago so now we have to rip out the first four feet of all the sheetrock. Funky green, yellow, pink and black mold everywhere. We've got it under control pretty well now but that was sure some nasty shit.

I'd say that if you are actually allergic to mushrooms then it's probably a food allergy - like some people are allergic to peanuts or shellfish. Have you had problems with non-hallucinogenic mushrooms or is it just psilocybes?

Edited by TDOTupagus (08/06/06 09:32 AM)

Offlinewhat
Stranger
Re: Allergic reaction to mushrooms? [Re: truffleupagus]
    #5936607 - 08/06/06 10:38 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

yeah, it's just psilocybin ones. it's strange, cause i'm not really sure i am allergic too them. i think it must be just the body effects i experience. it's still a pain in the arse thou!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag