Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon The Doors, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinelavendercowboy
Stranger

Heat Wave Problems
    #5925331 - 08/02/06 02:47 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I have been having some issues due to this heatwave. Is anyone having grow problems? And if so, what are you doing to combat the excessive heat?
I'm located in the midwest and for about two weeks now it's been 90+ everyday. I cased some birdseed on July 20th, and still have no pins. I'm convinced its the heat. I'm getting lots of feathery looking myc growing out of the top of the casing....and it's pulling back from the sides of the pan a bit despite maintaining 95% humidity.
Any ideas? How do I fix this and keep this cool without breaking the bank?

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinetonyperez420
Shaman Rasta

Re: Heat Wave Problems [Re: lavendercowboy]
    #5925344 - 08/02/06 02:49 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

lavendercowboy said:
I have been having some issues due to this heatwave. Is anyone having grow problems? And if so, what are you doing to combat the excessive heat?
I'm located in the midwest and for about two weeks now it's been 90+ everyday. I cased some birdseed on July 20th, and still have no pins. I'm convinced its the heat. I'm getting lots of feathery looking myc growing out of the top of the casing....and it's pulling back from the sides of the pan a bit despite maintaining 95% humidity.
Any ideas? How do I fix this and keep this cool without breaking the bank?

AIR CONDITIONERS

welcome to the 21st centuary

its the only practical way to keep a room cool during hot summer weather I can think of

I didnt think we still had your kind around (caveman lol geico commercial)

Edited by tonyperez420 (08/02/06 02:50 PM)

OfflineWeebl8bob
Psychonaut
Male
Loc: Ohio (USA) Flag
Re: Heat Wave Problems [Re: tonyperez420]
    #5925357 - 08/02/06 02:55 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, i had to actually turn my A/C on... guess what i found out..
They dont like to work in 100F... :frown: Its still 82-84 in here! :frown:
I have resorted to freezing bottles of water and putting them in my incubation chamber

--------------------
"You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offlinelavendercowboy
Stranger

#5925365 - 08/02/06 03:00 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Man, you're hilarious!
I do have an AC but its in the bedroom, which gets very light. And buying a new AC is expensive to buy, expensive to run, and kills the environment (which is bad no matter what century, not centuary, we are in).
If the AC is the only option, then that's good to know, I just figured some of the creative minds in here might have alternative methods I didn't think of.

Offline76degrees
Apprentice

Loc: Middle Earth
    #5925369 - 08/02/06 03:02 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Hello,

I am getting hit with the heat wave too. My PF cakes are in coolers. Today I left the house while the lids were off (Doh!) and when I returned it was 98F in the room (and the FC) with only 40%RH! To my surprise one flush had matured over the 4/5 hours I was gone. And the other flushes seemed to have grown a good bit as well. So, I just put some bottles of ice in the coolers, misted the hell out of the spray sheild, slammed the lids and I think they are going to be OK.

If you use coolers and ice bottles you should have no problem keeping them at least 10-15F cooler than the air. You can always add more ice bottles depending on the size of the cooler and the temp you want. Those little cheapo styrofoam coolers at the grocery store will work, but a converted Igloo works a good bit better (you won't have to change the ice bottles as much).

--------------------
The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.

Offlinelavendercowboy
Stranger

Re: Heat Wave Problems [Re: 76degrees]
    #5925389 - 08/02/06 03:09 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

76degrees said:
Hello,

I am getting hit with the heat wave too. My PF cakes are in coolers. Today I left the house while the lids were off (Doh!) and when I returned it was 98F in the room (and the FC) with only 40%RH! To my surprise one flush had matured over the 4/5 hours I was gone. And the other flushes seemed to have grown a good bit as well. So, I just put some bottles of ice in the coolers, misted the hell out of the spray sheild, slammed the lids and I think they are going to be OK.

If you use coolers and ice bottles you should have no problem keeping them at least 10-15F cooler than the air. You can always add more ice bottles depending on the size of the cooler and the temp you want. Those little cheapo styrofoam coolers at the grocery store will work, but a converted Igloo works a good bit better (you won't have to change the ice bottles as much).

Do you worry about them getting enough light when they are inside the cooler?

OfflineLily_Morgan
I'm #1 !!
Female User Gallery
Loc: Eastern Shore
Re: Heat Wave Problems [Re: lavendercowboy]
    #5925412 - 08/02/06 03:17 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Funny thing is, we're getting hit with a bad heat wave here as well (east coast) and it's actually doing my cakes a world of good. We're keeping the AC off and the temp in here stays around 80 degrees, and the humidity seems to be naturally high so I haven't had to mist as much. Our electricity bill has actually gone DOWN.

However, I can definitely see how temps of 90+ can be detrimental. I would go with 76degrees's cooler method, and good luck.

Offlineimtank
Self-Taught Fool
Male

Loc: somewhere around Barstow,...
Re: Heat Wave Problems [Re: Lily_Morgan]
    #5925444 - 08/02/06 03:30 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

how does AC kill the enviroment?

--------------------
'To be positive at all times is to ignore all that is important, sacred or valuable. To be negative at all times is to be threatened by ridiculousness and instant discredibility.'
-Kurt Kobain

Offline76degrees
Apprentice

Loc: Middle Earth
Re: Heat Wave Problems [Re: imtank]
    #5925483 - 08/02/06 03:50 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

You can use an exacto knife to cut a hole in the lid. Then tape a piece of plastic or glass from a picture frame over the opening. Seal it with Duct tape or professional grade making tape. That will give your babies plenty of light.

--------------------
The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.

Offlinewiggles
Miffed a Milf
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Heat Wave Problems [Re: 76degrees]
    #5925560 - 08/02/06 04:13 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Or you could go to a beer/liqour store and get a styrofoam cooler to do summer fruiting. I do that and put one of those lunch box coolers that you keep in the freezer inside. That, and I have my airpump constantly pushing in fresher air blow right over it. It keeps it right about fruitng temps. The nice thing about summer is that it lets you colonize pretty derned fast so long as you have the ac blowing somewhere.

And ACs are bad for the environment thanks to freyon/R12 (or however you spell it). It eventually gets spent, and when its spent it doesn't just dissapear. If you have a newer, more expensive A/C it might not be a concern, since some use 134A instead which isn't so bad.

--------------------

You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye.
Hunter S. Thompson

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Heat Wave Problems [Re: wiggles]
    #5925622 - 08/02/06 04:28 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

If you're growing cubes, they fruit just fine in ninety degree weather.  Of course, you won't be nearly as comfortable, but they fruit in nature at that temperature all the time.  I'm glad that heat wave moved your way.  It's nice and cool now on the left coast.  The AC is now off and the doors and windows are open..Sorry, had to rub it in. :smile:
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineOatman2000
-=Outa Space=-
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Planetary Nebula
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Heat Wave Problems [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5925810 - 08/02/06 05:30 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

basment for me... always stays about 77 down there. except in the winter then i need a little space heater.

i'm being hit with the heat wave myself. Midwest

--------------------
Spawning to COIR
:thumbup:  My Chocolate Recipe
WBS QUART SPAWN JAR PREPERATION
----------------------------

4-PO-DMT; 4-phosphoryloxy-N,N-dimethltryptamine

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon The Doors, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation