Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Almost Died From Marijuana??? [Re: shamantra]
    #5931005 - 08/04/06 10:26 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

The only way cannabis is going to actually kill something is if someone get crused from a ton falling from a plane.

Or by bronchitis caused by chronic marijuana smoking.
Or by heart attack or cancer.
Or by car accidents caused by stoned drivers.

Shamantra, the ton from a plane defense can be just as easily said of tobacco, but with tobacco, alcohol & prescription drugs its perfectly normal to blame the drug, but with marijuana its the fault of anything but the drug. Open your eyes: its not harmless.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Edited by Asante (08/04/06 10:28 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleshamantra
hobbyethnobotanist

Loc: ¯\(º_o)/¯
Re: Almost Died From Marijuana??? [Re: Asante]
    #5931137 - 08/04/06 11:16 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

i got a bad eyesight :wink: but the cancer thing and bronchitis you can maybe rule out if you dont smoke cannabis but eat it? and driving under the influence of anything is more to blame on recklessness than the actual substance in question either its alcohol or weed or you can say its not the drug but that people are stupid for doing it. is the substance really to blame or the person? i say the person

--------------------
note: english is my 3rd languange, please ignore misspelling and poor english, im doing my best :smile:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ug98TKkWKy0

Edited by shamantra (08/04/06 11:19 AM)

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #5931176 - 08/04/06 11:26 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

shamantra said:
i got a bad eyesight :wink: but the cancer thing and bronchitis you can maybe rule out if you dont smoke cannabis but eat it?

Well, also if you vaporize pot.  I used to smoke and get a cough all the time, persistantly.  Once I started vaporizing, my annoying cough went away entirely.

InvisibleStickyWater
Stranger
Re: Almost Died From Marijuana??? [Re: MOTH]
    #5931663 - 08/04/06 02:35 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Quote:

associated with smoking anything, not just marijuana...

not exactly. it is the THC's effects on the heart that in some people under some conditions can trigger adverse events. It is even considered a possibility that THC itself in any shape or form is a carcinogen.

I acknowledged this, just didn't word it very well...

Quote:

It seems that other than the rare heart problems and risk of stroke, all the dangers seem easily avoidable by vaporizing or eating it.

But I mean they don't even know that smoking weed causes cancer (I believe the big debate lied in the question "does tar cause cancer" although I haven't been following those debates) and correct me if I'm wrong but marijuana is also believe to prevent cancer as well as opening up the airways in the lungs (which wouldn't help much if you smoke it mind you) and they seem to be having trouble conducting tests on people to find a link because a lot of the time their test subjects are or were tobacco users.

As for the mental disorder issue, particularily the schitzophrenia one, I'm glad to see this come up because not enough people are aware of this. I see LOTS of people smoking weed who SHOULD NOT be smoking weed because of the mental risks associated with it. Not eough people are aware that weed CAN contribute to depression, particularily in younger users (I don't believe that weed is a direct cause of the depression,  and that it also has to do with the person's life style and values, which may or may not be linked to their habbit, but I'm willing to accept that it can have a strong influence on it and can make things a lot worse (personal experience)).

I'd say that overall though weed's more damaging than actually dangerous. You're not that likely to suffer any major (major being life threatening or debilitating) consequences. However your lungs WILL feel like shit, and you probably will get more colds. After smoking 2-3 joints/day for 2 months straight my throat constantly felt weird and sometimes hurt to swallow or breath. It went away after awhile. Lately when I've smoked weed it always leaves a tingly feeling in my throat for a day or so. The shroomery should have a contest with a vaporizer as a prize, try to promote their use a little  :smirk:

Hehe, nah, but I do think it would be cool if we could get a couple stickies in the threads or links to articles on the main page about vaporizers. Best drug/health related investment I've ever made and deffinitely think more people should know about them. You don't even need to fork out THAT much money if you compare vaporizers and prices, I've had it since October and while I've started smoking cigarettes socially and still smoke bud on occasion when a vaporizer isn't available and my breathing doesn't have that dirty lung feeling anymore and I've had a lot less airway infections (got bronchitis that lasted a few months, which is better than the previous year of gettting colds or sore throats on an almost (semi)weekly basis)

Offlinephungi
BullshitDetector

Loc: Canada (not really)
Re: Almost Died From Marijuana??? [Re: StickyWater]
    #5933762 - 08/05/06 04:37 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

High guys, please give me some sources for your claims that marijuana contributes to lung cancer, or any cancer for that matter. I am afraid that in scientific terms this has never been proven. Please don't say things to increase the negative hype agianst our most valuable plant.

Quoted from Jack Herers book The Emporer Wears No Clothes

(More Harmful Than Tobacco

According to the American Lung Association, cigarettes and tobacco smoking related diseases kill more than 430,000 Americans every year. Fifty million Americans smoke, and 3,000 teens start each day. The Berkeley carcinogenic tar studies of the late 1970s concluded that "marijuana is one-and-a-half times more carcinogenic than tobacco."

The Fact:

Not One Documented Case of Cancer

There are lung irritants involved in any smoke. Cannabis smoke causes mild irritation to the large airways of the lungs. Symptoms disappear when smoking is discontinued.

However, unlike tobacco smoke, cannabis smoke does not cause any changes in the small airways, the area where tobacco smoke causes long term and permanent damage. Additionally, a tobacco smoker will smoke 20 to 60 cigarettes a day, while a heavy marijuana smoker may smoke five to seven joints a day, even less when potent high-quality flower tops are available.

While tens of millions of Americans smoke pot regularly, cannabis has never caused a known case of lung cancer as of December 1997, according to America's foremost lung expert, Dr. Donald Tashkin of UCLA. He considers the biggest health risk to the lungs would be a person smoking 16 or more "large" spliffs a day of leaf/bud because of the hypoxia of too much smoke and not enough oxygen.

Tashkin feels there is no danger for anyone to worry about potentiating emphysema "in any way" by the use of marijuana totally the opposite of tobacco.

Cannabis is a complex, highly evolved plant. There are some 400 compounds in its smoke. Of these, 60 are presently known to have therapeutic value.

Cannabis may also be eaten, entirely avoiding the irritating effects of smoke. However, four times more of the active ingredients of smoked cannabis are absorbed by the human body than when the same amount is eaten. And the prohibition inflated price of black market cannabis, combined with harsh penalties for cultivation, prevent most persons from being able to afford the luxury of a less efficient, though healthier, means of ingestion.

Lab Studies Fail to Reflect the Real World

Studies have proven that many of the carcinogens in cannabis can be removed by using a water pipe system. Our government omitted this information and its significance when speaking to the press. At the same time politicians outlawed the sale of water pipes, labeling them "drug paraphernalia.") end quote.

On the mental illness note: Do you know of any research (honest research) that backs up your claim that weed contributes to mental illness? I have been diagnosed Bi-Polar, Manic Depressive, borderline schitzophrenic. And high quality pot is the only medicine that has ever worked for me, and they tried many different drugs and "talk therapys" with me. I'm not saying that this may not be true for some people, but my guess is that it would be extremely rare. If you have info to the contrary (not from a prohibitionist site) please link me. If your theory is based on anectdotal evidence only, then its paper thin. And please don't contribute to the hype.

I am a heavy smoker, 5-7 j's a day. I don't smoke cigs, (although I did for 16 years). My lungs feel fine. I think one of the main lung irritants in commercial weed is MOLD! Fresh, green, high quality herb won't have this problem.

I bought a vaporizer, the BC Vaporizer, its like a globe with a heating element inside it. I don't like it very much and I never use it. I was told that its just a shitty vaporizer and that I would enjoy a different kind. Any suggestions? Less that $500?

Heres a link to Jack Herers book, hope it helps to cut through some of the bullshit.
http://www.jackherer.com/chapters.html

With Perfect Love,

Phungi

--------------------
"Don't Steal. The government hates competition!!"

Edited by phungi (08/05/06 04:40 AM)

Invisibleshamantra
hobbyethnobotanist

Loc: ¯\(º_o)/¯
Re: Almost Died From Marijuana??? [Re: phungi]
    #5933813 - 08/05/06 06:08 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

volcano vaporizer costs around 500 dollars i think.

--------------------
note: english is my 3rd languange, please ignore misspelling and poor english, im doing my best :smile:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ug98TKkWKy0

Offlineastraalialma
Friend
 User Gallery

Loc: Funland
    #5933839 - 08/05/06 06:43 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

As functional setup but less costly would be to order only the
Volcano Valve Set + a professional heatgun with adjustable output temperature (Steinel HL2010).
Works.

Offlinetwiggedoubt
twigburst
Male User Gallery

Re: Almost Died From Marijuana??? [Re: astraalialma]
    #5934541 - 08/05/06 12:59 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

There is no 100% evidence that THC causes cancer, but it hasn't been studied well enough. Also the absence of evidence isn't the evidence of absence. I think the overall point is that marijuana isn't harmless. Even if it doesn't cause cancer, its still a stimulant and it still can cause heart attacks and allergic reactions. If marijuana never killed someone, neither did heroin. This is the same logic as heroin doesn't directly kill you, it causes respiratory depression and you die from lack of oxygen. I think both are misleading.

InvisibleEndlessNameless
Stranger

Loc: Valley of the Sun
Re: Almost Died From Marijuana??? [Re: passitbobbie]
    #5935085 - 08/05/06 05:04 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

passitbobbie said:
I was in the sophmore year of high school at a pre-party in the ghetto.  We are sitting there smokin weedx0r for like 20 minutes and then the party started.  At this point I was just fucked up, things were not right... I never really got the fear and I was just maranoid to hell.  So after talking all hyper and shit to this hot indian girl I liked I excused myself and drove home... paranoid as hell that I would get caught being high by the cops.

I came home and started playing Aliens Vs Predator 2 while smoking black and milds.  All the sudden I look down and my hands are leaving tracers on the keyboard, this is pleasurable.  Afterawhile I flip on a hip-hop radio station, I never listen to hip hop.  The music is very enhanced in a way not like pot.  Eventually I realize that this pleasure and sensation is linked to me not breathing.  Involuntarily I was not breathing and this was rewarding me with these sensations.  Upon realizing this I became quite worried and tried to fight it but couldn't really.  Eventually my vision filled with a mario bros game that had repeating horizontal waves on it.  At this point I proceeded to chase my cat around the house for oxygen and eventually passed out thinking I was surely going to die.  The next day I felt fucking amazing!!! Who knows it coulda been pot or it coulda been laced.

Maybe the "homeboys" you were "kickin' it with in the Ghetto" laced your bud with Sherm... :smile:

Offlinephungi
BullshitDetector

Re: Almost Died From Marijuana??? [Re: twiggedoubt]
    #5936185 - 08/06/06 03:49 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

twiggedoubt said:
There is no 100% evidence that THC causes cancer, but it hasn't been studied well enough.  Also the absence of evidence isn't the evidence of absence.  I think the overall point is that marijuana isn't harmless.  Even if it doesn't cause cancer, its still a stimulant and it still can cause heart attacks and allergic reactions.  If marijuana never killed someone, neither did heroin.  This is the same logic as heroin doesn't directly kill you, it causes respiratory depression and you die from lack of oxygen.  I think both are misleading.

Your just kiddin right? I mean please tell me that you are!!!

"if marijuana never killed anybody, neither did heroin." WHAT!!! There you go comparing weed to heroin, just like the prohibitionists. The problem is your full of it. MJ has never killed anyone. If so, documentation please....link me. I am sure that you can't. So if you can not provide some kinda documentation of your claims, then your just spouting off at the mouth. And your statements regarding MJ are misleading.  :boot:

--------------------

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#5936214 - 08/06/06 04:39 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

WHAT!!! There you go comparing weed to heroin, just like the prohibitionists.

Looks like you're a fighter for the stoner cause. Instead of getting emotional about the use of the words "heroin" and "weed" in one sentance, try to find out what he meant by that.

Quote:

but it hasn't been studied well enough. Also the absence of evidence isn't the evidence of absence.

Please meditate on it, and then provide us with the thorough scientific research that proves that weed never killed anyone. You are saying that weed is harmless, potentially luring people into using it. So you prove beyond any doubt that it is harmless. And not quoting Mr Herrer who says: "it is harmless" but actual scientific studies conducted on lasrge groups of people.

Quote:

the absence of evidence isn't the evidence of absence.

*highfives Twiggedoubt*

Quote:

your statements regarding MJ are misleading.

They are only misleading if you misread them. All he's saying is that there is no cast-in-stone certainty about the exact dangers of marijuana, and he's right saying that.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Offlinetwiggedoubt
twigburst
Male User Gallery

#5937760 - 08/06/06 05:30 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I was saying that just cause something isn't directly related in the death doesn't mean it isn't responsible. If you had a heart attack from marijuana, you didn't die from just a heart attack, you died from a heart attack induced by marijuana. Just like if you OD from heroin, you die from respitory depression caused from a heroin overdose. Obviously more people die each year from heroin, but even in that case most of the people are either under the influence of heroin and alcohol and/or heroin and benzos. The heroin many times alone wouldn't of killed them, but it did have something to do with the death and is a direct cause. If the guy that had a heart attack while under the influence of marijuana didn't smoke marijuana, he wouldn't of had the heart attack. Therefore, marijuana contributed to his death. Marijuana is a stimulant, and can cause stress which can lead to an even higher heart rate. Marijuana isn't harmless, it is probally a lot safer then most other drugs, but even sugar can kill people. Not to mention the fact that they haven't proven that marijuana doesn't cause cancer, which if is true, will really throw a wrench into the mix. Smoking anything is bad, and I don't see marijuana as an exception. There is not enough evidence to conclude that marijuana never directly killed anyone, which really should sound more like "It has never been proven that marijuana killed any healthy person directly." I am for legalisation, but I think that everyone should have an informed decision about drugs they want to take, and telling people BS like marijuana is harmless is counterproductive. Not to mention people saying that marijuana is safer to drive on then marijuana, which is a totally relative question which depends on the individual, and even if it is true it doesn't make it any safer to drive around stoned. Some people can do it, but some people can drive around drunk too. The point of it is that it slows down your reaction time. Do whatever drugs you want to, just don't hurt anyone. At least thats what I think, which even if most people disagree with me, its more of a harm reduction issue than anything. It is reverse propaganda, which many propot groups use and it isn't helping the cause. I also don't like how groups like NORML seem to think that law enforcement should put more resources on busting "hard drug" dealers, when the drug war is whats fucked, not just the pot laws. It pisses me off.

OfflinePowerTrip
Polypharmaceutical Shaman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The void
Re: Almost Died From Marijuana??? [Re: twiggedoubt]
    #5937908 - 08/06/06 06:24 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

In my opinion, those of you who are adamantly declaring weed to be a health hazard, are being very unrealistic and taking the truth to extremes. Just as twiggedoubt stated, even sugar can be a health hazard. In fact, if you want to speak about cancer, literally everything can be a possible cause of cancer. Your body is constantly under stress from your environment. The air you are breathing and the EMF radiation being released by the CPU in your computer is also increasing your risk of cancer. This risk is an inherent part of our daily lives and there is absolutely no escape from it aside from living in a bubble, and even that offers no guarantee. It is a surprise for me to see marijuana being portrayed this way by veteran members of this board. I understand that you are trying to spread accurate information, but stating the health hazards without the accompanying statistics paints an inaccurate picture.

To wiccan and twigged, based on the amount of deaths directly attributed to weed, what would you say the odds are of a perfectly healthy individual having an adverse reaction which results in a serious health complication? Although I admit that I am no medical professional, statistically I don't see weed as being much of a threat to health at all. The exception being people who have a pre-existing health condition, in which case they should already know to take precautions against using stimulants, weed included.

Let's just try and find a balance between dispersing information and causing unnecessary alarm.

--------------------
I spit reality, instead of what you usually learn
and I refuse to be concerned with condescending advice
cause I'm the only motherfucker that can change my life

Offlinephungi
BullshitDetector

Re: Almost Died From Marijuana??? [Re: PowerTrip]
    #5937941 - 08/06/06 06:38 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Yes powertrip I second those questions that you pose to our estemed senior board members, and eagerly await the response.

--------------------

InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

Loc: British Columbia
Re: Almost Died From Marijuana??? [Re: EndlessNameless]
    #5937967 - 08/06/06 06:47 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

EndlessNameless said:
Quote:

passitbobbie said:
I was in the sophmore year of high school at a pre-party in the ghetto.  We are sitting there smokin weedx0r for like 20 minutes and then the party started.  At this point I was just fucked up, things were not right... I never really got the fear and I was just maranoid to hell.  So after talking all hyper and shit to this hot indian girl I liked I excused myself and drove home... paranoid as hell that I would get caught being high by the cops.

I came home and started playing Aliens Vs Predator 2 while smoking black and milds.  All the sudden I look down and my hands are leaving tracers on the keyboard, this is pleasurable.  Afterawhile I flip on a hip-hop radio station, I never listen to hip hop.  The music is very enhanced in a way not like pot.  Eventually I realize that this pleasure and sensation is linked to me not breathing.  Involuntarily I was not breathing and this was rewarding me with these sensations.  Upon realizing this I became quite worried and tried to fight it but couldn't really.  Eventually my vision filled with a mario bros game that had repeating horizontal waves on it.  At this point I proceeded to chase my cat around the house for oxygen and eventually passed out thinking I was surely going to die.  The next day I felt fucking amazing!!! Who knows it coulda been pot or it coulda been laced.

Maybe the "homeboys" you were "kickin' it with in the Ghetto" laced your bud with Sherm... :smile:

There's no possible way weed was laced.

Offlinetwiggedoubt
twigburst
Male User Gallery

Re: Almost Died From Marijuana??? [Re: HeavyToilet]
    #5941306 - 08/07/06 04:26 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I don't think anyone that smoked weed would be alarmed by the fact that marijuana can increase the risk of heart attacks with people with bad hearts. Also, we both said that it was rare, but it does happen. All drug deaths are rare, hell even heroin deaths caused by only heroin are less then 1% of the population yearly, considering how many times most users use heroin in each year, which is probally well over 500 times per year, at over 1 million users, thats a 1 in 500,000 chance of a heroin addict ODing from heroin on any time he or she uses heroin. All drugs have risks, but they are mostly overstated, if drugs were as dangerous as the media portrayed them to be, I don't know very many people that would use them. Noone would use a drug that killed half the people that touched it, and if they did they would die out pretty fast. Of course marijuana probally kills a handful of people a year indirectly, either from car accidents and people with health problems. It is very unlikely that you would die from smoking marijuana, but its also very unlikely that your going to drown in the ocean. Its very unlikely that your going to die from a bee sting. The point is that marijuana does have certain risks, no matter how minor they may be. You probally have a better chance of winning the lottery, but if marijuana does end up showing links to cancer, which as stated it hasn't been proven if it dose or doesn't, then it would be much more harmful then people realize. All things have risks, and the deny them is to lie. This isn't to scare people, its a discussion about people failing to provide accurate information to further their cause, and it isn't right. Especially considering that millions of pot smokers believe it, and within those #'s, some people do have bad hearts and mental problems, and blood pressure problems.

Offlinerock0head420
Stranger

Re: Almost Died From Marijuana??? [Re: pokalot]
    #14394642 - 05/03/11 02:10 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Sound's like A combo of dry mouth and throat Happened to me once but I have sleep apnea. If you where allergic to something in the weed you would have felt it sooner. My EX nearly died the first time she smoked her thought swelled up and had be rushed to hospital. Not a good first time.

InvisibleToe_Jam
Bluefoot Bandit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Around some corner... Flag
Re: Almost Died From Marijuana??? [Re: rock0head420]
    #14394665 - 05/03/11 02:16 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

rock0head420 said:
Sound's like A combo of dry mouth and throat Happened to me once but I have sleep apnea. If you where allergic to something in the weed you would have felt it sooner. My EX nearly died the first time she smoked her thought swelled up and had be rushed to hospital. Not a good first time.

:lmafo:
Way to try and revive a 4 and a half year old thread. Check the dates next time bud.
:oldthread:

--------------------
God lay his finger at the Mouth of the Serpent

March 1984

A pleasing land of drowsy head it was,
Of dreams that wave before the half-shut eye,
And of gay castles in the clouds that pass,
For ever flushing round a summer sky. -Castle of Indolence

OfflineAnthony917
why dont we do it in the road
 User Gallery

Loc: Earth
    #14394678 - 05/03/11 02:18 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

shamantra said:
maybe you havent heard so much

the bruce lee thing is just a myth, noone knows exactly why he died. but that someone has died before from allergic reactions to marijuana is not unlikely

what the fuck? he had a brain aneurysm :facepalm:

OP that's strange, but definitely doesn't sound related to your smoking. Especially since it didn't hit you until 4:30 in the AM. What time did you smoke the bowl?

Maybe you just got some bad cottonmouth, fell asleep with your mouth open, and your throat was insanely dry.
I dunno man

edit: :crankynoweed: OLD THREAD!

--------------------
Prisoner#1 said: I got my ass kicked by a 9yo when I was 17
Trippin? Click Me

What is life? I'm tired of life...

Edited by Anthony917 (05/03/11 02:19 PM)

InvisibleToe_Jam
Bluefoot Bandit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Around some corner... Flag
Re: Almost Died From Marijuana??? [Re: Anthony917]
    #14394687 - 05/03/11 02:20 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I am the only one that sees that "OP" has 21 post, and the last one was like two years ago? Am I talking to myself here?

--------------------
God lay his finger at the Mouth of the Serpent

March 1984

A pleasing land of drowsy head it was,
Of dreams that wave before the half-shut eye,
And of gay castles in the clouds that pass,
For ever flushing round a summer sky. -Castle of Indolence

Edited by Toe_Jam (05/03/11 02:22 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order