Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinequack180
journeyman
Loc: new england
How Many Had First Time Success?
    #592209 - 03/28/02 07:16 PM (22 years, 24 days ago)

I was just curious as to how many of us mad scientists had at least a small yield their first time growing? If not, what were the reasons? This might help and encaurage some of us 'newbies'.

Thanks

--------------------
weed is for smoking

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefidget
Fungus Hunter
Male

Loc: Oregon
Re: How Many Had First Time Success? [Re: quack180]
    #592233 - 03/28/02 07:46 PM (22 years, 24 days ago)

I had a horible first experiance. I tried 12 jars about 3 years ago. About 10 of them got close to fully colonized jars. With about 90% of the jars covered, i noticed a red growth starting in most of the jars. (I wish i would have took some pictures now) The rusty color tained all of my jars and i threw them away. Now over 3 years later, i am trying this again. This time i got a pressure cooker to sterilize and am being much more careful. Most people i talked to before said that it was probably rust or something of that sort. I used plastic ball jar lids this time with the inoculation holes the same as you would do it on the medal lids. I am hoping that if it was rust, then it wont come back with these plastic lids. I still have not harvested anything yet, but i feel like i will succed this time. (With the help of people here of course)
Good luck

--------------------
- fidget

"With ordinary consciousness you can't even begin to know what's happening."

Offlinequack180
journeyman
Loc: new england
    #592248 - 03/28/02 08:02 PM (22 years, 24 days ago)

Wow! Three years is a long gap of time- were you discauraged and gave up? Or was it something else?

--------------------
weed is for smoking

Offlinecheerios
Stranger
    #592295 - 03/28/02 08:55 PM (22 years, 24 days ago)

the first time I tried I inoculated my jars when they were still hot and got growth butt nothing spectacular.I learned from my mistakes and kept on trucking.Growing is trial and error and learning what works best for you.

OfflineSmokemon
Loc: Northeast
    #592298 - 03/28/02 09:01 PM (22 years, 24 days ago)

me. if you want success, and you don't know what you're doing, listen up. these are simple tips for new growers. Use the PF tek to make jars. It's good, but kindof lacking in the jar making instructions. Follow most of it, except where it differs from what I write here. Use half pint jars ($7), vermiculite (gardening store ($5), brown rice flour ( don't grind your own, get it at a health food store $3), and distilled water ($1 anywhere). Get a big mixing bowl and pour out a half cup (dry measurements) of vermiculite for each jar you're gonna do, plus 1 cup. Pour water on until it is saturated, keep mixing, you should be able to form a small puddle if you tilt the bowl, but not a big puddle. You can drain off excess water. Then put in half as much brown rice flour as you did verm. Mix Mix Mix until well blended. Lightly spoon into jars, (DONT PACK IT DOWN). spoon very lightly, shake it down, but no pressure from above. PF substrate must be airy. then put the dry verm seal ontop. Bowl at a low boil for one hour, keeping the jars off the very bottom (tight lid jar, yes, you can stack them). Inoculate like PF says, and put someplace clean, dark, and preferable warm for 3 or 4 weeks. When fully colonized, throw them in a terrarium with perlite humidification. They'll need light and air exchange to grow. Harvest when the veil breaks. Dry with dessicant. (note: soggy dessicant will not work, so it must be suspended off the bottom of your drying chamber so the water it collects can drip out). Eat.

--------------------
"The concept of "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness" is enshrined in the documents upon which this nation of ours is supposedly founded. If the pursuit of happiness does not mean the right to experiment with your own state of mind, then those words aren't worth the hemp they're written on." - Terence McKenna

Offlinebluhoney
Yes Im a realgirl ,geeesh
Female User Gallery

Re: How Many Had First Time Success? [Re: Smokemon]
    #592312 - 03/28/02 09:19 PM (22 years, 24 days ago)

My friend grew a very nice pink mold her first time.:)bluhoney 

--------------------
Information listed here is for entertainment only and is neither real or proven

OfflineLSD_4me
addict
Re: How Many Had First Time Success? [Re: bluhoney]
    #592330 - 03/28/02 10:01 PM (22 years, 24 days ago)

grinding your own brf is a very good way to have very great success... you will have much better results with freshley ground brf... use mahatma long grain in the bag and it works great they have it at your local wal mart.... brf works fine... but just you saying to not use rice that is ground by you is not good advice imo&fe

Offlinefidget
Fungus Hunter
Male

Loc: Oregon
Re: How Many Had First Time Success? [Re: LSD_4me]
    #592342 - 03/28/02 10:16 PM (22 years, 24 days ago)

I lost modivation mostly when my crop failed. I didnt really think about it to much after, i moved states, finished school and wanted to start a hobby. Contamination suckS!

--------------------
- fidget

"With ordinary consciousness you can't even begin to know what's happening."

Anonymous

#592482 - 03/29/02 01:31 AM (22 years, 24 days ago)

I read the magic mushroom growers guide by O.T. Oss and O.N. Oeric. Had first time success.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #592494 - 03/29/02 01:53 AM (22 years, 24 days ago)

Around 4 months from first trial to success.

OfflineMeneerCactus
Ex Operator FSRE
 User Gallery
Loc: The Low Lands
    #592500 - 03/29/02 02:15 AM (22 years, 24 days ago)

I was succes full the first time, except my casings were to dry and not 100%. But still some nice flushes.

MeneerCactus

--------------------
"Millions of years of evolution just to .... light up a joint"

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
    #592502 - 03/29/02 02:20 AM (22 years, 24 days ago)

I was succesfull the first time too! Not perfect bur some pretty nice flushes:)

Offline2shrewmen
deep seadwellers

Loc: Bikini Bottom
    #592549 - 03/29/02 04:19 AM (22 years, 24 days ago)

The 2shrewmen are on the verge of first time success. Shrewman1 is blessed with a green thumb. Not green cakes! Despite a minor setback with an ultrasonic humidifier setup (firstimers-don't try!), they dunked, and switched to perlite (much less stress!) and now have lots of pins and a few babies on three out of six cakes that were inoculated Feb. 25 (two were screwed up and are still colonizing). Advice and Encouragement to newbies from newbies: Read as much as you can and follow directions! Don't try improvising until you learn the basics. Start simple with the PF TEK and move on from there. If you were baking a cake for the first time, would you follow the recipe or change the temp, ingredients, etc.? Follow the recipe and you'll succeed!

Offlinehomebrew

#592589 - 03/29/02 06:34 AM (22 years, 24 days ago)

First time success was easy (following mmgg to the letter), its the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th time that is my trouble. Guess I ought to follow the guide instead of trying new things....Nahh

OfflineMrNobody
Loser

Re: How Many Had First Time Success? [Re: 2shrewmen]
    #592590 - 03/29/02 06:34 AM (22 years, 24 days ago)

I'm on my second flush ever and am having success...the yield isn't as much as I want it to be, but I will soon be changing that. My first flush wasn't all that great but I learned so much from it that it was worth it.

--------------------
Free thinkers are dangerous.

OfflineSpaceCruiser
journeyman
    #592615 - 03/29/02 07:16 AM (22 years, 24 days ago)

I started when a friend gave me a single cake. From there I was able to successfully fruit the cake and take spore prints. I continued the cycle and now have several species and use several teks.

Offlinebabyshroom
addict
Loc: Florida
Re: How Many Had First Time Success? [Re: MrNobody]
    #592623 - 03/29/02 07:27 AM (22 years, 24 days ago)

I was successful the first time. No contams, eq & b+ fruited well for a first-timer. Biggest problem I had was getting my humidity right. I would advise every first timer to set up their fruiting chamber a week before they expect to use it. Gives you plenty of time to get it right. If you wait until birth, you'll end up handling your cakes a lot while you tweak your chamber. I waited til the last minute to set mine up, and the problems caused delayed fruiting and bruised cakes. Didn't stop them from producing, though. I didn't weight what I got off those first cakes, but I was happy with the yield.

--------------------
I don't really know anyone who grows mushrooms. I just come here for fun.

Offlineroykinn
enthusiast

Re: How Many Had First Time Success? [Re: babyshroom]
    #592657 - 03/29/02 08:37 AM (22 years, 24 days ago)

I got enough from my first two GC rye grain cakes to trip twice both with a friend... Though the cakes took over 2 MONTHS to colonize which I'm guessing robbed from the nutrients- no contams nice full fruitbodies, but I'm aiming for more than just a few trips this time--- good luck to you!

roy

--------------------
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline- It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nunclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -Frank Zappa

Offlinehispeed67
journeyman
 User Gallery
Loc: Florida
    #592662 - 03/29/02 08:48 AM (22 years, 24 days ago)

I have recently had first time success. Started in February. Picked first flush last week. Got 3 oz dry. Have 5 more tubs coming along. First tub complete first flush, next 4 tubs are pinning and should flush in the next week.

--------------------
be the mushroom

OfflineFirestarter
Stranger
    #592716 - 03/29/02 10:04 AM (22 years, 24 days ago)

i was successful enough i guess. my first attempt was a spore print i got from fsr pf strain. made the syringe put 2cc in jars of rye. at the same time i purchased a syringe puerto rican i forget who from but put 2cc in each jars of rye. started with 12 jars lost 2 to contam. colonization took a little longer than i expected but when complete i made 2 4cake casings an two 1 cake. two days ago my wife and i had tea made with the pf's and damn. it had been a while since i had shrooms but damn. the pr's are about 4 inches now and are about ready to harvest probably late sat or sun. am having a tea party sunday.
do's and don'ts. skip the ultrasonic humidifier. my first flush was small because i don't know what the hell i'm doing.
use perlite. the pr's are much bigger than my first flush of pf and pr's are supposed to be small.
actually check out thehawkseye.com i saw on there pics of casings where he took a clear rubbermaid container lumped it with perlite. it looked to me like he put two full cakes in the recessed center then covered with dung bros. compost. i just made four casings that way last night and am waiting for them to start pinning.
no matter what don't give up. nothing beats free shrooms.
you won't believe you made them yourself.

OfflineCuckoosNest
addict
Loc: Northwest (shaped like a ...
    #592724 - 03/29/02 10:25 AM (22 years, 24 days ago)

my first try was by far my most successful cake tek ever. I pulled off more than 5 oz dry from around 24 pints worth of substrate in under 2 months. My first casing attempt was thwarthed by contams, but I have since improved on that.

--------------------

"...Three geese in a flock. One flew east, And one flew west, And one flew over the cuckoo's nest."
Ken Kesey

OfflineRighteousBabe
Stranger
Re: How Many Had First Time Success? [Re: CuckoosNest]
    #593552 - 03/30/02 09:36 AM (22 years, 23 days ago)

I'm a first-timer, and just enjoyed the fruits of my labor last night. Ahhh success!!!! It's a great feeling! I used the standard PF tek and had great results.
My advice is:
*use perlite (it's sooo much easier/cheaper than a humidifier)
*use lots of lysol
*read, read, read all you can about cultivation
*be patient!!!

--------------------
There are as many ways to live as there are people in this world. Each one deserves a closer look!

OfflineUnder_net
enthusiast
Loc: kentucky
Re: How Many Had First Time Success? [Re: RighteousBabe]
    #593555 - 03/30/02 09:41 AM (22 years, 23 days ago)

I had success approx 3 months after I first started. My first batch of cakes didn't go well, but I believe that was because I didn't dunk them(They felt Dry). Immediately after that I started casing and habe had success ever since.
My first Hawaiin casing was one of the prettiest first flushes I have ever had. Since then I have improved on later flushed as well as even mycelia growth.

OfflinePapa_Bear
M-M GOOD!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Colorado
    #593666 - 03/30/02 12:30 PM (22 years, 23 days ago)

1st time for Baby was a bust! T3 syringe from Micron. Syringe was potent, had great colonization of cake. 4 mnths after birthing one small mushroom and then contamination. Trial and error life is an experiment!

Edited by Papa_Bear (03/30/02 12:31 PM)

Anonymous

#593713 - 03/30/02 01:33 PM (22 years, 22 days ago)

Quack

Seven cakes in a pod with little to no work and shrooms out the ying yang. Absolutley no contams.

Leaf

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #593717 - 03/30/02 01:36 PM (22 years, 22 days ago)

quack,

I had great sucess my first go around......in fact I was a little suprised at how good I did.
I read everything I could get my hands on.
I followed the PF Tek to the "T".

Now I do experiment....and try new things.....but I don't suggest that beginners stray from the known Teks that work til they at least have some shrooms to show for there hard work.

I had some jars go bad on my 3rd batch.....and it was upseting.....but contams happen to the best of us..... live and learn.
I try to learn something new everyday.... If I do.....it was a good day !

Good luck to you !
Have a Shroomy day !

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinebadjessejames
G HEAD

Loc: :) Passed out on my co...
    #593746 - 03/30/02 02:10 PM (22 years, 22 days ago)

I had sucsess the first time ...after waiting FOREVER for the jars to colonize.
It took 5 months for about 75% colonization......Pre steralized jars from JLF.
I birthed them anyway and they colonized the rest of the way in the fruiting chamber.
Then it was another MONTH until and pins popped out.....but still a good experience......you WILL learn something everytime. PEACE

--------------------

"My generation played a really mean trick on me. I thought we were all
goofing off together, but it turns out everybody else went and got rich
while I was sleeping." Mission Hill

Offlinebadjessejames
G HEAD

Loc: :) Passed out on my co...
Re: How Many Had First Time Success? [Re: badjessejames]
    #593750 - 03/30/02 02:17 PM (22 years, 22 days ago)

Also ...I did try the cakes then went straight to bulk.
I found rye grain/spawn much easier and much more rewarding.
No more cakes for me:)

--------------------

"My generation played a really mean trick on me. I thought we were all
goofing off together, but it turns out everybody else went and got rich
while I was sleeping." Mission Hill

OfflineSIR_JAS
Stranger
Loc: kansas
    #594182 - 03/31/02 12:16 AM (22 years, 22 days ago)

my first time I smashed whole brown rice with a hammer and steel bowl(cheaper than coffe grinder)...and made some very good cakes with pf tek...hand sprayed, and after cakes brthed I cutem up and cased em in tupperware bowl with vermiculite....got about 20-25 grams of dry but weak shroomies.

--------------------
mind is outside of space and time...major Ed Dames...remote viewer

OfflineSlamDog_C
enthusiast
    #594647 - 03/31/02 02:27 PM (22 years, 21 days ago)

My first try I had 2 cakes fall to contaminations used 6 in 2 3 jar casings and birthed 4 as cakes.
No idea what the weight was i got off of all of them but i do know that my freinds and I were stoned about every second night for the last 3 weeks
They were Eq shrooms and seemed alot stronger than the ones we usually buy around here. Didn't even let them dry to eat them though just popped em off cleaned em up and ate em

OfflineMrFreeze5
journeyman

Re: How Many Had First Time Success? [Re: SlamDog_C]
    #594657 - 03/31/02 02:50 PM (22 years, 21 days ago)

I had pretty good success my first time. I only tried 6 1/2 pint cakes and kept one cake and made 2 casings. I made a page with pics of the progress of the first flush. I got a lot of little shroomies, but they got bigger second flush. I got a total of 4 flushes from the cake and 5 from both casings before contam got 'em. I harvested a total of about 2 oz. dry. They are Hawaiin strain from PF.

http://www.angelfire.com/wizard/shroom/index.html

--------------------
The path of indulgence leads to the house of wisdom.

Edited by MrFreeze5 (03/31/02 02:52 PM)

OfflineDrewbied01
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25698145 - 12/23/18 12:16 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Lol get this. I already got my ass jumped for naming a source so I hope this is acceptable. My first 5 times were a TOTAL failure and I was to new and did practically zero vendor research prior to buying my first syringes. I guess this source in question  is KNOWN for selling bad syringes that are just contamination waiting to happen. I had no idea a spore syringe could be the issue. Anyways I would knock up 12 jars and 5 days later just have a little colonization and TONS of contam on my cakes...I started trying everything to figure it out. I even made control jars like jars I prepped the exact same just never inoculated to see if they would get contaminated as well. Every time my controls were fine but my inoculated jars would get contams. I finally thought maybe something is getting in when I stick the needle in so I took WHAT I THOUGHT was a totally empty syringe just stuck it in the hole moved it around a little bit pulled it back out and covered it up with micro pore tape and left it sit.......to my TOTAL AMAZEMENT about 8 days later I went to check on it and NO SHIT there was colonizing mycelium!! I don't know how the hell for the life of me this happened but this cake took FOREVER to fully colonize long story short this cake went on to grow my first 3.5 dried grams of mushrooms. How in the hell this ever happened I don't know there had to be a little viable solution still in the needle when I put it in and somehow it was just enough to get in colonize and NOT CONTAMINATE. After I had this crazy breakthrough that spawned me finally doing vendor research and learned without a doubt as soon as I typed the name in on Google every single post came back "you won't ever grow anything but contams with these guys" switched my source and ever since then I have had success. I recently had 2 jars of Puerto Rican that I had to toss but guarantee it was an error on my end somewhere. Just wanted to share my very crazy but very TRUE experience about my first time!!

Invisiblesh4d0ws
LSx
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: How Many Had First Time Success? [Re: Drewbied01]
    #25698468 - 12/23/18 02:48 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Order from shroomery sponsors who follow proper procedures. Can't go wrong with them.

--------------------

OfflineShroomei
Even stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Germany Flag
Re: How Many Had First Time Success? [Re: sh4d0ws]
    #25706077 - 12/27/18 03:00 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

While waiting for the spores on agar I ran two cakes (rye/vermiculite) with leftover spore solution. They yielded about 100g wet weight and a well growing clone for upcoming monos

OfflineRot
Worlds best trichoderma farmer
Male

Re: How Many Had First Time Success? [Re: Shroomei]
    #25706082 - 12/27/18 03:04 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

I had success but not anywhere near what I was thinking it would be.

--------------------

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
    #25706123 - 12/27/18 03:04 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

This thread has been closed.

Reason:
Don't bump 16 year old threads with boring anecdotes.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates