Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
so, so lets say i need to build a cooling tower thats about 1500 feet tall.... HOW do i do it?
    #5919561 - 07/31/06 07:05 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

the real question is how do i make it lightweight and CHEAP.

the specifications are this.

at least 1500 (1500 feet is roughly the height of the empire state building)

it has to be able to withstand ~150 F temps at its base, although the air will be cooler at the top.

It has to be lightweight, and affordable. (yes i realise that this will probably cost a few million, but estimated costs for a re-enforced concrete tower are at ~40 million)

I would like to see several smaller sections, that allow for removal and replacment without the de-construction of the entire tower.

Durablilty- the tower should last for 10 years before it is fully depreciated and needing to be replaced.

- It would be best to see the construction of the tower be primarily constructed with a membrane of black plastic/polymer that would allow absorption of solar radiation and transformation into heat.

my thoughts lay on an exo-skeliton made of lightweight metals, created in several interlocking sections covered in said black plastic/polymer material.

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Edited by zippoz (07/31/06 07:19 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesupercollider
superconducting

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Waxahachie
Re: so, so lets say i need to build a cooling tower thats about 1500 feet tall.... HOW do i do it? [Re: ZippoZ]
    #5919797 - 07/31/06 08:19 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Why on earth does it need to be so big? 150 F isn't all that much heat...

--------------------
Supercollider? I just met her!

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Re: so, so lets say i need to build a cooling tower thats about 1500 feet tall.... HOW do i do it? [Re: supercollider]
    #5919802 - 07/31/06 08:20 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

its a long story, but its necissary, i would prefer that its twice that tall, but id prefer not to build the largest structure on earth just yet.

--------------------
PEACE

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: so, so lets say i need to build a cooling tower thats about 1500 feet tall.... HOW do i do it? [Re: ZippoZ]
    #5919852 - 07/31/06 08:38 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

It would be best to see the construction of the tower be primarily constructed with a membrane of black plastic/polymer that would allow absorption of solar radiation and transformation into heat.

Isn't the point of a cooling tower to dissipate heat?

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Re: so, so lets say i need to build a cooling tower thats about 1500 feet tall.... HOW do i do it? [Re: ChuangTzu]
    #5919912 - 07/31/06 08:51 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

its not actually a cooling tower.... anyhow

back to how to build it.

--------------------
PEACE

Offlineiateshaggy
i haxor 360s
Male User Gallery

Loc: 612 Warf Avenue, next to....
Re: so, so lets say i need to build a cooling tower thats about 1500 feet tall.... HOW do i do it? [Re: ChuangTzu]
    #5919916 - 07/31/06 08:52 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

i worked in an oil refinery and we didn't have towers that big. we pushed about 1.7 million gallons of fluids a day to society. i can see how it's fun to think about the possibilities of a tower that big next to a giant cracker w/ some million gallon tanks along w/ some processing units and access to any chemical but come on now.

--------------------
You are a filipina sex goddess who wants to fuck me until I fall asleep, so then you can tickle my balls and see if the legend of my diamond filled nutsuck is true.  I am a white man from costa rica, who smells like lime jello.

I can flash/jtag/repair 360's, pm for details.

InvisibleBoom
just a tester
Male
Loc: Cypress Creek
    #5919922 - 07/31/06 08:53 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

What's this all about, anyway?

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Re: so, so lets say i need to build a cooling tower thats about 1500 feet tall.... HOW do i do it? [Re: Boom]
    #5919931 - 07/31/06 08:57 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

oi, i just need it to be built as a major component of another system. which im not going to go into.

--------------------
PEACE

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #5920050 - 07/31/06 09:33 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

cmon dude, why do you need a giant tower?? are you planning a world takeover using a 1500ft tall tower? do you plan on living 1500 ft up so you dont have to deal with any of the bullshit going on down here?? are you constructing a 150 story lsd factory?

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Re: so, so lets say i need to build a cooling tower thats about 1500 feet tall.... HOW do i do it? [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #5920139 - 07/31/06 10:01 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

none of the above :smile:

i dont know why im even being so secretive about this...... i just want to see the damn thing built. although im supprised that noone else knows what im trying to do.....

--------------------
PEACE

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

#5920268 - 07/31/06 10:32 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

allright, here it is, what i want to build.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_updraft_tower

its a solar updraft tower. basically imagine a 3 mile diamater glass roof with said tower the middle although the tower to that scale would be over 3000 feet, and the tallest structre in the world)

heat collects under the glass roof, and as the roof gains height towards the center (6 feet at edge 60 in center) the air moves inward, getting upwards of 70 MPH and reaching over 150 degrees on a 70 some degree day.

anyhow, the tower is a very very expensive portion of this project i think that the costs were roughly ( i run to get my notes) 170 million (euros) with an energy production cost of .089 c/kwh which is workable.. but not that competitive. (based on 30 year depreciation and 6% interest)

http://www.sbp.de/en/html/home/solar_chimney_quicktime.html

http://www.sbp.de/en/html/contact/download/The_Solar_Updraft.pdf

anyhow, if its cheaper to build, its more profitable and within investment boundaries for venture capatalist.

chew on that eh?

--------------------
PEACE

Invisiblesupercollider
superconducting

Folding@home Statistics
    #5920569 - 07/31/06 11:56 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Wow, is this thing really the most efficient way to get solar power? Moreso than those new South African photovoltaic cells? Or focusing a big array of mirrors onto a tank of water?

Glad to see this is about solar power though. A "North Korean" asking about building cooling towers was bound to attract the worng kind of attention. :P

--------------------

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Re: so, so lets say i need to build a cooling tower thats about 1500 feet tall.... HOW do i do it? [Re: supercollider]
    #5920594 - 08/01/06 12:03 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

got a link on those PV cells?

--------------------
PEACE

Invisiblesupercollider
superconducting

Folding@home Statistics
    #5920648 - 08/01/06 12:31 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
    #5921146 - 08/01/06 06:11 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Maybe I'm not thinking outside the box enough but if I wanted to build a structure as tall as the Empire State Building the first thing I'd do is hire an engineer.

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: so, so lets say i need to build a cooling tower thats about 1500 feet tall.... HOW do i do it? [Re: Ythan]
    #5921170 - 08/01/06 06:30 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

:lol:

that reminds me of a question I read about, I think from a Microsoft job interview

Q: If I asked you to build an airport, what's the first thing you would do?

A: Hire someone who knew how to build an airport.

OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
    #5921348 - 08/01/06 09:49 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Seriously though, maybe approach an engineering school about taking it on as a project or something... I don't think this is the kind of thing you want to tackle yourself without a lot of specialized knowledge.

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: so, so lets say i need to build a cooling tower thats about 1500 feet tall.... HOW do i do it? [Re: Ythan]
    #5921441 - 08/01/06 10:49 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Zip is crazy. Every week its some new wild-eyed scheme to take over the world. People like him are important.

Some day, you'll see that he's cobbled together 3 school busses and some old motors, and is flying to Mars on a ship run by vegetable oil. Then you can say you knew him here.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Re: so, so lets say i need to build a cooling tower thats about 1500 feet tall.... HOW do i do it? [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #5921466 - 08/01/06 10:55 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

well i know that i will have to contact an engineer, i mean, if i could just build the tallet building in the world without help, i would, but i doubt that i could.

im just hoping to brainstorm ideas on different materials that could be used instead of concrete.

im meeting witih the SBDC (federal small business development center) on thursday, theyre usually pretty helpful and helped me get my other business off of the ground.

the other concept i have is making a semi circle green house on the edge of a southern facing cliff, and mounting a god portion, if not all of the tower to the cliff, eliminating a lot of the need for a "free standing" tower.

--------------------
PEACE

OfflineKonnrade
↑↑↓↓<--><-->BA
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LA Suburbs
    #5921509 - 08/01/06 11:08 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Utilize the environment to your advantage... I like it.

Show us pictures when you get it done :grin:

--------------------

I find your lack of faith disturbing

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Re: so, so lets say i need to build a cooling tower thats about 1500 feet tall.... HOW do i do it? [Re: Konnrade]
    #5921552 - 08/01/06 11:23 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

i just had another idea, drill a giant fucking hole into the top edge of the cliff instead of building a tower on it ?

but..... while this may end up being cheaper, it does not allow for added convection that would result from solar radiation turning to heat when hitting the side of the tower...

--------------------
PEACE

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #5921815 - 08/01/06 12:51 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

zippoz said:

i dont know why im even being so secretive about this...... i just want to see the damn thing built. although im supprised that noone else knows what im trying to do.....

My guess:

Are you building a solar pond, trying to take advantage of the temperature gradient between the heat collected in a massive square foot pond and the atmospheric temperature at the top of the tower?  Are you going to put a wind turbine at the top of the tower and generate electricity?

**EDIT**Oh shit, a couple posts down you confirmed my guess.

Ps.  You ever read Atlas Shrugged?  I'm almost half through it...I love the book...I KNOW you would too.  That is, if you have enough time between calculations to take on a 1200 page book.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Edited by TODAY (08/01/06 12:58 PM)

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#5921887 - 08/01/06 01:13 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Maybe your tower shouldn't press down on its foundations but rather pull on them.

Giant Hydrogen balloons may hover high above the clouds, and decrease the weight resting on your foundations. In that case your building can be far lighter, thus cheaper, than it otherwise would be.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: so, so lets say i need to build a cooling tower thats about 1500 feet tall.... HOW do i do it? [Re: Asante]
    #5921948 - 08/01/06 01:37 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, giant hydrogen balloons have been proven repeatedly to be a great idea.  :wink:

What will the effects of the massive winds created at the bottom of the tower be?

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Re: so, so lets say i need to build a cooling tower thats about 1500 feet tall.... HOW do i do it? [Re: Asante]
    #5922703 - 08/01/06 06:25 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

this has been proposed as a solution to the problem, but there is an issue of the vaccum created at the base of the tower. also we are talking about somthing that is going to dwarf the height of 3000 feet and has an internal diamater of 350 feet. which is very large....

while this obstacle could be overcome with the creation of a half and half tower, i wouldnt bet on anything untill i had some more data, if not a functional scale model covering a few acres.

i was busy at the bar scribbling down notes on a coctail napkin this afternoon trying to figure out how big this thing would be, and its suface area is just over 7 miles (in a circle) and playing with different configurations for the dish.
now if i was to make this a 1/4 wedge or 1/2 semi circle model of the same concept the surface area would most likely have to stay the same. as would tower dimensions.

--------------------
PEACE

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Re: so, so lets say i need to build a cooling tower thats about 1500 feet tall.... HOW do i do it? [Re: TODAY]
    #5922715 - 08/01/06 06:27 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

TODAY said:
Quote:

zippoz said:

My guess:

Are you building a solar pond, trying to take advantage of the temperature gradient between the heat collected in a massive square foot pond and the atmospheric temperature at the top of the tower?  Are you going to put a wind turbine at the top of the tower and generate electricity?

**EDIT**Oh shit, a couple posts down you confirmed my guess.

Ps.  You ever read Atlas Shrugged?  I'm almost half through it...I love the book...I KNOW you would too.  That is, if you have enough time between calculations to take on a 1200 page book.

well i dont want that much water, although the use of sealed black tubes full of water layed along the ground would have a good heat retention ability.

the posibility of placing these water ponds outside the collector and then pumping them in has also been discussed as a potential for proving more power on peak demand hours, and or at night.

but with too much water, we will create a sea brease, and would be in danger of reversing the flow of air at night, which the system is currently not designed for.

--------------------
PEACE

OfflineKonnrade
↑↑↓↓<--><-->BA
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LA Suburbs
    #5922834 - 08/01/06 06:59 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Wiccan_Seeker said:
Maybe your tower shouldn't press down on its foundations but rather pull on them.

Giant Hydrogen balloons may hover high above the clouds, and decrease the weight resting on your foundations. In that case your building can be far lighter, thus cheaper, than it otherwise would be.

That was mentioned briefly in the wikipedia entry.

It seems that someone has had the idea of using a very lightweight chimney that is held bouyant by rings along it's surface which are filled with lighter-than-air gas.

If it was made from a durable plastic or something similar I'd imagine that with enough bouyant rings it would be possible to make one that doesn't apply force on the ground at all, but is merely anchored to the ground to keep it from flying away.

The segments could be modular, too. It could be built slowly by adding more modules over time, perhaps allowing for the cost to be more drawn-out and less of an all-at-once purchase.

--------------------

I find your lack of faith disturbing

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
    #5922849 - 08/01/06 07:04 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

He is really buildng a hurricane making device. It is powered by bicycles and biodiesel.

I love reading your posts zippoz

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #5922966 - 08/01/06 07:51 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Are you really talking about spearheading a multi-hundred million dollar project? What are your qualifications besides being a highly motivated dreamer? Venture capitalists don't just toss around their money, especially on solar projects requiring the world's tallest structure ever built. I suppose you've been told all this before though.

Regardless, I wish you the best of luck.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Re: so, so lets say i need to build a cooling tower thats about 1500 feet tall.... HOW do i do it? [Re: tak]
    #5922995 - 08/01/06 08:01 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

well thank you, i grabbed my notebook and sketch book, and im going to go off to the bar to do some ground breaking calculations and so on.

--- edit, looks like i did them here, lol ----

in the effort of lowering the expected costs for the construction of this tower, i also have to look at the price of the collector, its construction methods and durability.

so costs for the 3000 foot model being at 606 million euros
133 mil for the turbines
42 for engineering and testing
261 for the collector
170 for the tower

now call me crazy but with large numbers like that even the smallest savings can reduce the cost exponentially. and that collector and that tower are looking to be a bit much imo.

regardless, if were going to be talking about a floating tower, we are going to have to look at some serious numbers,

so lets see how much surface area(sqf) of the materials used to make the tower. assuming 2 sets of tubes were built, both 3000 feet long, one with a 350 foot diamater and one with a 310 foot diamater.  One inside the other, connected by partitions made of the same material, to allow for individual inflation, and deflation.

350 foot dia, 3,300,000 sqf curved surface area
310 foot dia, 2,920,000 sqf curved surface area

the partitions would only be built from the smaller tube outward towards the larger tube. thus we can calculate the surface area of those by the difference in surface area between the 2 cylinders bases.

as the total surface area for the 350 sqf tower is actually 3,490,000 we can subtract the above curved Surface area
3 300 000 - 3 490 000 = -190 000 and we get the area of both sides of the first cylinder.

we take 190,000 sqf/2 which is 95,000 sqf (the area of the base of the 350 foot dia cylinder)

i hope you can folllow this  :smile:

now we need the square footage of the base of the other cylinder.

ill save you the math and say that its...
150,000 for both sides, and therefore 75,000 for one side.

sooo.

95,000 - 75,000 is 20,000 sqf for each divider. we will assume one per 100 feet, so we will need enough material for 31 dividers

we will need

350 foot dia, 3,300,000 sqf curved surface area
310 foot dia, 2,920,000 sqf curved surface area
dividers  X31  620,000 sqf Surface area
--------------------------
total material 6,840,000 Sqf

now lets get onto the questions of weight and lift which brings us to the question of the volume of this column of gas which should be the difference in the volume of the 2 cylinders.
289,000,000 cf and
-226,000,000 cf
------------
  63,000,000 Cubic feet

One cubic foot of helium will lift about 28.2 grams
i cant find the rates for hydrogen, but i dont want a new hindenburg so well forget that for now.

so at 28.2 grams of lift for cf, we get 1 776 600 000 grams, 

3,916,732.55 pounds
which is enough to make 261 full grown african elephnats float into the sunset.....

regardless with that amount of lift,
3,916,732 lbs we can compute the maximum amount that the construction materials could weigh.

total sqf of material 3,916,732 lbs /6,840,000 sqf = maximum weight per sqf being .573 lbs now that isnt much, and i would imagine that it would have to be half of that to be functional, so .27 lbs per Sqf of material.

so i suppose it could work if the materials were light enough, but can it be built that light??? there is also the question of structural stability, and possible decreased function.

however that much gas would probably act as a very large heat sink, that theoretically would release the heat from the day, long into the night

--------------------
PEACE

Edited by zippoz (08/01/06 08:09 PM)

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#5924274 - 08/02/06 02:30 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Forget Helium! Water + Electricity = hydrogen so your plant can be self-sufficient in any gas needs it has.

Hydrogen is 100 times cheaper and weighs only 1/4th per liter. Free-hanging hydrogen balloons without ignition sources and without leaks simply won't cause trouble. If you can't get hydrogen balloons to work then you shouldn't consider this project :sun:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Edited by Asante (08/02/06 02:31 AM)

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #5924619 - 08/02/06 07:11 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Just a thought... if you use something denser than air, then you should be able to use a smaller column and get the same power. Why not build a large solar powered thermal siphon along the side of a mountain? Turbines at the bottom to generate electricity and the thermal siphon to move water back up to the reservoir. The big question would be how much water you could move through the siphon. If you made it wide enough, quite a lot, I would think.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5938245 - 08/06/06 08:28 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Offlinejungjedi
starfleet
Male

Loc: headed towards the fronti...
    #5938854 - 08/06/06 10:45 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

it may be possible to constrct a space which has a larger demention inside than outside.this involves building a many worlds computer

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

#5939689 - 08/07/06 02:12 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ChuangTzu said:
Maybe ask these guys: http://money.cnn.com/2006/08/01/technology/towerofpower0802.biz2/

well this article states the obvious, that it was scaled down from the origonal model, and theyre still waiting on money form the goverment... shame this dosent look to be actually happening...

--------------------
PEACE

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

PhytoExtractum Shop: Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder