Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineabsolute zero
The Hero
Male User Gallery
Loc: 127.0.0.1
Lucid Dream - Homemade Induction Devices? ***UPDATED***
    #5839057 - 07/09/06 02:48 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

***Updated In Posts Below***

So, once again my interest in lucid dreaming has reached another peak. I naturally have a lucid dream every few months, but as many others, the frequency is less often than I would prefer. The past few nights, I've had some amazingly simple, yet intensely powerful non-lucid dreams, which have been inspired again to try to obtain some degree of lucidity through the techniques available to me.

In the past, I've seen many commercial devices that are marketed for giving audio or visual cues during REM, which are hopefully incorporated into the dream state, allowing a greater frequency of lucid dreaming experience... However, all of these devices tend to be a little costly (a few hundred dollars)...

So, I'm currently experimenting with using a 30 second verbal audio cue that is played once every 5 minutes (i feel my sleep patterns are a little too inconsistent to attempt to time out when REM should be occurring). I have read that during LaBerge's experiments using audio cues, some dreamers would perceive another dream character telling them they were dreaming, and would ignore the cue completely, being frustrated with the other person. Although I don't think I'd respond that way, I thought it best that the verbal cue was recorded in the FIRST person (i.e. asking the thought "Am I Dreaming?" rather than being told "You are dreaming" in the third person) so that the incorporation into the dream might be such as that of a thought running through my head, and I would come to my own conclusion.

So, last night, my sleep schedule was a little messed up (i.e. i had fallen asleep for 4 hours in the afternoon/early evening, so when i got to bed for real, i only slept about another 4 hours, had caffiene in my system at this point). Although I didn't obtain lucidity, I recall 3 dreams over the course of 4 hours. I put the playlist together on repeat and started it at the point that i laid down. I assumed that this would also help keep my mind focused on the goal while falling asleep, however, I'm considering setting a timer to turn on the playlist a couple hours after I lay down.. I'm not sure if the audio cue being so frequent caused it to be completely tuned out and not incorporated into the dreamworld... I thought of possibly mixing the audio in with one of those "sounds of nature" cds... but not sure if that would have any effect...

I'm looking for any ideas related to using common household devices to act as sensory cues in the dream state... I thought of possibly putting a strobe light on an electronic timer, turning on for maybe a minute out of every 30, as I know a lot of the home-devices use visual light cues.

Any input is appreciated :smile:

--------------------

Edited by absolute_zero (07/30/06 08:00 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
Re: Lucid Dream - Homemade Induction Devices? [Re: absolute zero]
    #5839095 - 07/09/06 02:57 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

well its a damn interesting idea. but i have to ask you, how do you know that youre not dreaming now? WAKE UP NEO!

but in all seriousness that sounds interesting. I myself am fascinated by the fes lucid dreams that i have had. And i think that those cues might work well, i would say start them an ho\ur after you go to sleep as i recall REM sleep barely ever occours that fast.

but another thing that i recall from my research ages ago is that after a full night of sleep, then waking and going back to sleep, it is possible to go riht back into REM sleep/dreams and that this is an optimal time to lucid dream.
(also when a few of mine occoured)

let me know how it goes!

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Offlineabsolute zero
The Hero
Male User Gallery
Re: Lucid Dream - Homemade Induction Devices? [Re: ZippoZ]
    #5839150 - 07/09/06 03:09 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, I've done quite a bit of reading in the past, and tried many of the techniques... The thing that works best for me is just the firm resolution to have a lucid experience, combined with reality checks throughout the day... Although this practice seems tedious after a few days, because I lack the determination to keep doing the reality checks on a normal basis, unless something triggers the thoughts...

Its usually enough for me to just think the thought in the dream... it has a unique enough feel that usually the question alone instantly snaps me into the lucidity... although tests are definitely useful...

My hope is that having the message incorporated into the dream state will give a greater frequency of lucid dreams while making daily excercises un-necessary to some extent... I'm hoping that if I try really hard for a week or so, that I will be more inclined to question my state thus more likely to become lucid, and if the audio is incorporated during sleep, that it will condition me to question things when i hear the cue... maybe letting me pop into a lucid state everytime i hear the cue?

Translation: I want more lucid experiences while decreasing the effort to get there.

--------------------

Invisiblerod
Ψ
 User Gallery

Re: Lucid Dream - Homemade Induction Devices? *DELETED* [Re: absolute zero]
    #5839195 - 07/09/06 03:18 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Post deleted by rod

Reason for deletion: b

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
Re: Lucid Dream - Homemade Induction Devices? [Re: rod]
    #5839226 - 07/09/06 03:32 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I do WILD

Wake Induced Lucid Dreaming

I set my alarm for 3:30am, get a drink then go back to sleep while trying to keep lucidity.

--------------------

Offlineabsolute zero
The Hero
Male User Gallery
Re: Lucid Dream - Homemade Induction Devices? [Re: blink]
    #5839239 - 07/09/06 03:37 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

That technique has worked for me before... Its just that since I haven't had a set schedule for anything in particular lately (classes, work, etc.) that my sleep schedule is kinda sporatic... The time i go to bed/get up changes frequently, and the length of time that i sleep also fluctuates quite a bit (last night's sleep cycle being split in 2 --> 4 hour chunks due to falling asleep in the afternoon yesterday)

--------------------

Offlineabsolute zero
The Hero
Male User Gallery
Re: Lucid Dream - Homemade Induction Devices? ***UPDATED*** [Re: absolute zero]
    #5916232 - 07/30/06 08:02 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

So, after a few weeks of trying this off and on, I have been met with no success...

It seems that I must get used to the audio message and completely ignore it...

:shrug:

--------------------

Offlineackmess
Stranger
Re: Lucid Dream - Homemade Induction Devices? ***UPDATED*** [Re: absolute zero]
    #5916242 - 07/30/06 08:04 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

absolute_zero said:
So, after a few weeks of trying this off and on, I have been met with no success...

It seems that I must get used to the audio message and completely ignore it...

:shrug:

our bodies can adapt rather quickly...pretty amazing sometimes.

Edited by ackmess (07/30/06 08:05 PM)

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
Re: Lucid Dream - Homemade Induction Devices? ***UPDATED*** [Re: ackmess]
    #5916311 - 07/30/06 08:20 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

what works pretty much with the sureness for me is just wake up a couple hours before you normally would. stay awake for about twenty minutes (don't drink to coffee or listen to stimulating music or anything) then go back to sleep, but don't allow yourself to drift off quickly. keep yourself in the space bettween awake and asleep as long as you can.

seems to work quite a bit.

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale