Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Re: Thor a vendor?!?? Check this out.... [Re: Link]
    #592471 - 03/29/02 01:12 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

No link, you dont get it. Dont you have buttons to mash?

No I am not Pubescent Genitalia Fondler. Keep guessing.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Thor a vendor?!?? Check this out.... [Re: Thor]
    #592506 - 03/29/02 02:33 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Post Deleted a la Obscurity

Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

Loc: Sandy Eggo. Ca.
    #592574 - 03/29/02 05:48 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Rock On Thor!

--------------------
:pacman: - - - -  :pill: :mushroom2: :pill2: :mushroom2: :regularshroom: :mushroomgrow: :pill: :pill2: :mushroom2: :poison:

:sun::heart::sun:

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

OfflineCrobih
rap-cord
Loc: cave
Re: Thor a vendor?!?? Check this out.... [Re: 40oz]
    #592579 - 03/29/02 06:03 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Thinking again, I remind mysel on time when I suggested thor to be a vendor. Now I am interested in one thing. Is 3Dshroom interested in that bussines? Does he know how much money he is loosing with no participation. Is 3D in some kind of a deal with Thor? What?

These are the reasons why shroomery.org should sell spores. The ones who own the site have the right to profit from it.

Otherwise, if thor becomes vendor, 3D will soon feel bad about the bussines. Money shit will involve in running shroomery and shroomery will get into the new crisis.

Nevertheless Thor knows too much and too many thing that brang admin position to him. If he becomes vendor, even if he finishes his admin job, he will be in positions for low scores.

OfflineGaNjAShRooM
===SPUN===

Loc: Southern United States
    #592588 - 03/29/02 06:27 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

i think that if ya wanna bea vendor -go ahead-
but you shouldnt run things so much here-
just my opinion-
isnt the shroomery a non-profit org?
im sure they can get a huge tax write off for being a non profit org-
just dont let the 2 get confused-
it could come back to haunt you-

--------------------
Cultivation Laws Of America Suck

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
Re: Thor a vendor?!?? Check this out.... [Re: GaNjAShRooM]
    #592661 - 03/29/02 08:47 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Thor I support you in whatever you want to do.. Skimming through the poasts I disagree with 3D in that you may need to give up your administratorship to keep things fair.. (if taken out of context my bad).
I have long thought that you and the other admins could be doing MUCH more to make a buck or LOTSof bucks with THE LARGEST MUSHROOM SITE on the internet.
I would bet that you could have your pick of just about ANY vendor to team up with if you wanted and I believe that you wouldnt put your name on a shadey product nor would you tru to sell something to us shroomerites that you dont aprove of just to make a buck. I believe this is the case anyway and I hope its true..
So just what is it are you thinking of doing? Im currious now... Maby I should go through and read all the 46 posts in this thread and find out if its their...?

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

OfflinepsilocyberV
old hand

Re: Thor a vendor?!?? Check this out.... [Re: GaNjAShRooM]
    #592668 - 03/29/02 08:59 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator.

InvisibleLinkA
Intrinsically No Good

Loc: Lost Woods, Hyrule
Re: Thor a vendor?!?? Check this out.... [Re: ]
    #592688 - 03/29/02 09:31 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

wow, assmuncher. your arguments are irrefutable. i'll step down now.......

Link

--------------------
Wonder had gone away, and he had forgotten that all life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.  -- H.P. Lovecraft "The Silver Key"

Anonymous

Re: Thor a vendor?!?? Check this out.... [Re: Link]
    #592824 - 03/29/02 12:45 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

How about only saying something when you know what you are talking about ok?

In reply to:

ok, maybe i don't get it.

You remember saying that? You do? If you did youd realise I was agreeing with you and not arguing. You dont get it and probably wont. Tell me this funny guy, what is this about? Do you know or are you just having fun?

Edited by AssHmpr12point6K (03/29/02 12:52 PM)

Offline3DSHROOM
loon
Male

Re: Thor a vendor?!?? Check this out.... [Re: ]
    #592837 - 03/29/02 01:00 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Thank you for clearing up the non-profit thing psilocyber, I was about to say the same thing.

--------------------
Your friendly neighborhood loon

InvisibleMicronMagick
old hand

Post deleted by users_request [Re: Ryche Hawk]
    #592855 - 03/29/02 01:20 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Offline3DSHROOM
loon
Male

Re: Thor a vendor?!?? Check this out.... [Re: MicronMagick]
    #592859 - 03/29/02 01:25 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

No, it was here too. I sent emails to a bunch of them but nobody was really interested.

--------------------

InvisibleMicronMagick
old hand

Post deleted by users_request [Re: 3DSHROOM]
    #592867 - 03/29/02 01:38 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Offline3DSHROOM
loon
Male

Re: Thor a vendor?!?? Check this out.... [Re: MicronMagick]
    #592871 - 03/29/02 01:45 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

You advertise on High Times website?

This was a couple months ago that he suggested it to me. I just reloaded their page and contacted all the companies who's banners I saw. I didn't see your's and weren't you already advertising, so why would I need to contact you again anyway?

--------------------

Invisibleoscill8
*bondage fairy*
    #592890 - 03/29/02 02:00 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

hi thor... you know i think youre a good admin here, so none of my comments should reflect anything otherwise. and my comments may not be worth much, as i dont grow mushrooms and i also havent purchased anything from a vendor in quite a while since stopping. so, with all the caveats, i think i have a problem with you maintaining admin status as well as becoming a vendor- but not for the "oil man" theory... (that having competing interests- wanting to make money thru vending, as well as running the website without the impulse of making money- basically the conflict of interests thing most have spoken about). i honestly believe you would not consciously use your power as an admin to alter anything regarding business. but, as it is a perception problem (and many have noted it), i note it as well ...

the problem i have is that you would be "the shroomery" selling products. you can remember many times where people have asked "why doesnt the shroomery sell (fill in the blanks- spores, products, etc.)?" and in becoming a vendor and maintaining your admin status, thats exactly what it looks like. that people will be buying product "from the shroomery", as you are a figurehead of the shroomery, and i would say that you are the "de facto" corporeal representation of "the shroomery"- not leaving 3ds or anno out, but this isnt about them). you would be filling the void of people who call out for the shroomery itself to be a vendor, while in reality you would not be (as moneys wouldnt go to the shroomery, etc.)

put another way: the fact you are "the shroomery" means that your business will have the added "publicity" of being run by this website, whether or not its true- its not something you can avoid by just saying "no, there is no problem." and those who may not have been around as long (newbies, those same newbies we always try and look out for in these hypothetical situations), or dont pay attention to the petty bs that often happens outside of mushcult, wouldnt know that you were trying to wear "2 faces"... (janus). people may buy b/c they are buying something "supported by the shroomery." they also may think that the shroomery has added its "seal of approval" to your business, while i dont believe the website has ever had a definitive stance on any vendor (except for removing some from the vendors page for old links, etc.) and really may ahve an effect on other vendors and their market for potential customers.

it should also be noted for those who havent been around as long or dont remember- that the community felt the opposite regarding ralphster's position as a MOD and as a vendor... here we have more of an issue regarding sales and ADMIN... just another thing to think about. why is this different? in r44's case, no one thought he would be "bad", just that perception was enough to not allow him to wear 2 faces at the same time. (i consider r44 a friend, i hope he doesnt mind me bringing this up now, many months later).

an ancillary problem: people may buy b/c they think their purchase affect the running of the site (by "sponsoring" the site thru purchases). they may incorrectly peceive that they are helping the shroomery thru purchases. i know this could be fixed by saying "none of the money you spend will go to the shroomery," but that kinda sounds silly, you know? and perhaps not something you want to put on your site, since no other vendor posts on theirs- "we dont give any money to the shroomery," either- so perhaps it wouldnt be fair :smile:

also... (and this is not a critique, but a concern i have for you) one thing that REALLY concerns me about the possibility of selling supplies while still being the "figurehead" of the shroomery thru admin status is the obvious (to me) parallel btw what you are suggesting and the hive incident many here know about. that idiot was trying to play janus as well, but kept his business and running of the hive separate. from what i remember (i cant find the story archived anywhere, which i find disconcerting now) was that he is being charged with conspiracy - supplying the chems (business) and supplying the information (books and website with extensive how-to and live help) equals committing the crimes himself, even though he didnt put the 2 together himself. every time someone "created" mushrooms from the info on this site, with products you supply...there is a worthwhile analogy there with the hive.

i think this is a valid enough issue to post here- i hesitated but think that its something everyone who sells/caters to the drug production community (which, is what we are... as many times as we like to say "hobby", etc.- to anyone else we are a website dedicated to the dissemination of information regarding the production of an illegal drug.)

if youre serious, and this is something youd want to do (hold on to admin status while running a business selling cube spores), then id check into speaking to an atty versed in us & canadian laws- and follow their advice. i think the hive case sets a pretty bad precedent, one id hate to see you follow unwittingly. also, since i believe that the server is located in the us, and since the majority of users here are in the us, there may be enough jurisdiction for the us to get involved (with their draconian laws on cubes, and also with their newfound interest in "drug websites" and the "drug war"...) It could open up others to liability who live in the us & maintain the site as well; so i think that the others you share admin status with should also weigh in on the subject, and consider this point if they havent yet. and, i dont want you to be supporting terrorism (joking, but its gotten pretty bad down here... drugs are evil here now, dontcha know).

what kind of business will you run, btw? just more for my own curiousity than anything... good luck in whatever venture you may choose, and i hope it works out :smile:

osc.

ps, since ryche's tips were a little in line what i was thinking- ill post mine as well. i think that the best "business opportunity" available to you right now is here- since you have almost everything you need (congrats on making enough for a new server, and to the winners of the raffle)... except perhaps more manpower and a more expanded frontpage.

1) Create more click-thru revenues for the shroomery by becoming and maintaining affiliate status with other websites. I think that receiving a direct percentage for affiliate linking may help the shroomery in the long run; instead of running flat-rate banner ads, why not look into the possibility of a sliding scale banner ad pricing system, where at one end you ahve the basic flat-rate, and the other you have a lesser flat-fee coupled with a percentage of linked sales? Or perhaps switch to a direct percentage deal with vendors, along with a (lower) flat rate fee. Ex.- flat rate of 150, or percentage-based 75$ plus 10% of gross sales generated thru this site. or, turn it all percentage based, and pray the members of this commuity will go thru affiliate links to support the shroomery's upkeep.

1a) Related to #1 above- i think ryche is right in that other stores should be looked at for possible revenue- not just banner ads, but affiliate links. There are many stores that shroomery members shop at, and not just for spores. I still think an amazon.com page would be awesome- 15% of sales for their books would be enough revenue to justify creating a "shop at amazon.com books page" with the obvious staples- tmc, ggmm, etc. here or at the opening page of the shroomery. Also, you could reserve the right to edit in people's posts affiliate links (if they posted about amazon, the shroomery reserves the right to edit in their amazon affiliate link in place of the typical amazon.com link). this is often the case on other bbs' - where the admins reserve all affiliate linking rights to themselves. several websites have affiliate-status available, usually just look at the bottom of pages for affiliate linking.

2) This may be unpopular with vendors, but... Dont let anyone advertise here unless they pay for it. Thats right, no "I'm selling spores, etc." unless they have paid you advertising fees. Yes, it sounds harsh. But, the upstarts who want to sell supplies/spores/etc. have to realize that probably their ONLY source of advertising is here; hence all of their sales are from the shroomery. If they werent, theyd be posting/selling all over the place, but HERE is the only place where a vendor can find a buyer for his cube spores without any cost to himself. (Otherwise, theyd have to run ads in high times like pf and mycotek, theyd have to create domainname.com websites that look reputable enough to buy from, and theyd still have to advertise thru other sources.) I think its totally fair to restrict outside sales to those who support the shroomery FINANCIALLY. otherwise, theyd have no mass of people to sell to in the 1st place. I say openly that i have no sympathy for "the little guy" (NOT the vendor, but the *everyman* little guy) who wants to sell something and wants to sell it here for free. it doesnt work that way anywhere else, in real life or the internet. i know this place is supposed to help people etc. etc., but without financial support (and also to turn a profit, so admins have something to stick around for), there would be no shroomery after a while. no incentive to run it, means no one whod be good enough to do it. "goodness of their own hearts" only lasts so long.

3) Exploit the new relationship the shroomery has cultivated with overgrow; what help, information, etc. they can give would probably be worth far much more than any advice you could get from anyone here (since theyre actually doing it- running a successful "drug" website that turns a profit. anything i or anyone else say is speculation, since we actually dont run one). that site is AMAZING, and many of their dealings with revenue building are similar to what i have suggested above (no outside vending, no vendors selling without overgrow gaining from it, etc.) I think that the admin over there could be a HUGE untapped resource of info on how to get this place to turn a profit, esp. since theyre also in the unique position of running a site that distributes information on illegal activity. just from looking at it, and the number of sponsors they have- they turn a profit. (they also are way more advanced though, creating new "magazine" articles every month, etc. - which i wouldnt expect the admins to do here every month unless tey were turning a profit on this place.) but, wouldnt it be great if this place could do well enough that no one would worry about it going away thru capriciousness, or lack of funds?

*caveat to comparisions w. overgrow/mj growing sites- they make more money b/c their hobby costs more. you could feasibly grow a flush of mushrooms for about 30$, where growing mj (with proper equip., not fluoros) costs several hundred. so the analogy of revenue building thru a percentage-based affiliation with vendors wouldnt be as great. but if you look at their banner ads, not all are seed vendors. most of their banner ads are from businesses run by people WHO NEVER GO TO THE SITE- where here, youve just allowed the vendors you know to place ads. you can tell theyve done some extensive marketing of their "business", which it is, since it does turn a profit.

*second caveat- mj is way more accepted in mainstream us culture than mushrooms are. (analysis based on public policy regarding the 2- mj has had a medical initiative in several states, while psychoactives of any kind are seen as "dangerous" drugs and have no open supporters anymore.)

4) Consider outsourcing the advertising to a professional. this is just a thought, but a site with as many hits as this place does, and as much activity, and by such people the advertising community would love to attract (young white males)- the site may have enough "potential" for a professional to really vamp it up (site revenues). perhaps just a meeting with someone in the field would give the money-making issue a whole new light.

5) etc etc... ive taken up too much time and space.

good luck, again, and best wishes on your choice.   

--------------------
? oscill8 2001, 2002
"Any data submitted to Shroomery.org becomes our property"

Anonymous

Re: Thor a vendor?!?? Check this out.... [Re: oscill8]
    #592921 - 03/29/02 02:44 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Well said.

InvisibleSouthernGent
veteran
    #592936 - 03/29/02 03:03 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Great post osc... why did you stop growing fungus by the way?

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #593111 - 03/29/02 06:11 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

>I still think an amazon.com page would be awesome- 15%
>of sales for their books would be enough revenue to justify
>creating a "shop at amazon.com books page"

There in fact exist such a book store, and it can be found here:

shroomery.org/books

Edited by Anno (03/29/02 06:21 PM)

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

#593335 - 03/30/02 01:01 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Wow... nice (but long) post Oscill8.  You made some really good points and ideas.
I really do think the key to the shroomery making more money is to get more advertisers in here.
And charging a small fee for every click thorugh is not a bad idea. Say perhaps 2 to 5 cents per click.

As for the few of you complaing about me haveing my banner in the best forum, the cultivation forum. Especially you McMan (Mycotek Service) I have one word for you LOYALTY.  I'll say it again LOYALTY !! For many years.... LOYALTY.

Helping out financially for a long time, even when there were no banners here including mine. I wont go into all the details but I've been helping out here for a long time. And what about you McMan, back before your Hydrapod you were peddling some other growing chamber here for many months.. the TMC. I brought it up to you about donating money here since you were here making money from it. And you wanted nothing to do with helping out financially here. Not to mention you were also offering Thor bribes to have all my posts deleted and a bunch of other sneaky shit like threatening to have Anno busted. And you have been BANNED from here how many times ??? Probably more then anyone else :smile:
And now your asking to have your banner rotate with mine.  Your just full of surprises.

It wasn't until recently that Thor rasied the prices on banners. They were like a mere $40 for a long time. I've been badgering him about that for a long time to raise the prices.
Ya gots to pay the bills here somehow :smile:

I really hate to turn negative for a minute but this needs to be said.
JackMeHoff.... aka.... PF    You think I've made hundereds of thousands of dollars over the years from the shroomery your smoking to much crak again. I'm far from rich from a spore business and have struggled with my bills many times over the years.
In case any of you have not figured it out yet or dont know,  JackMeHoff is none other then PF himself using his sock puppet. I've known his game for a long time... trust me its him.
The flame wars stopped between us a long time ago. But why do you keep taking jabs at me every chance you get.
I avoid that shit when I see something negative about you. For the last 4 months ever since you opened that JackMeHoff account all you ever do is come here and say negative shit about other vendors and the shroomery.  Everyone feel free to dig up his posts for the last 4 to 5 months in the venor forum and you will see what I'm talking about.
You know we could really do without your cynical sarcasm around here.  Can you please keep the negative comments to yourself so we can avoid flame wars again.

All right back on topic. I would say Thor has a lot on his plate to swollow.  He's always been very considerate and thoughtful and fair for the omc / the shroomery as a whole. So I'm sure whatever he decides it will be done with a pure and honest heart.
But if you do decide to step down as Admin, can you clear some of the riff raff out of here first :wink:

--------------------
-Peace-

High Quality MUSHROOM SPORES and CULTURES  for microscopy at www.muShrooms.com

muShrooms.com is the new web site of
www.thehawkseye.com

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
    #593340 - 03/30/02 01:16 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Very good post Oscill8 :smile:

Like usual you are wise and true.

I honestly am still unsure of what my next move will be, I was eager at first to get into a business, but I have been talking a lot with friends 'online/real life' that have been giving me their 2 cents as it were.

I can't say one way or the other what I will do, maybe re-vamping the AD structure here is a possibility, I do know a decent bit about what vendors make and yes its pretty sweet for many of them. I don't however want to be unfair and charge outrageous AD rates just because the Shroomery is so important to them.

I feel it is my first priority to take care of the Shroomery over everything else. I've put in one year now (yay, happy anniversary Thor/3dshroom!), and I don't want to walk away when there is so much going to happen this year.

I find it interesting that the majority of you were very polite and respectfull in your responses. Considering how sensitive this issue is, I sincerely appreciate how respectfull most of you have been.

Its interesting but after I posted this I've had a lot more offers than I would have ever guessed, but I guess others see me as a possible big boost to their business and I can't blame them for being interested.

I will give myself this weekend to make a decision about my future, because I honestly find it very hard to see myself leaving the shroomery, I love this community and the last thing I want right now is to leave her :blush: 

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale