Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineymhrswrider
Butthead

Possible Amanita muscaria found. Need ID. Have PICS.
    #5909799 - 07/28/06 07:06 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

These were found in the mountains near the continental divide in Colorado yesterday. They were all in the vicinity of tree roots. I have no way of telling whether or not these are the good kind or if they are poisonous. Please let me know what info you need to 100% verify the id of these mushrooms.

--------------------
Flashbacks are God's way of saying, "This one's on me".

Edited by ymhrswrider (07/28/06 07:07 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: Possible Amanita muscaria found. Need ID. Have PICS. [Re: ymhrswrider]
    #5909840 - 07/28/06 07:34 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

They look like A. muscaria to me. I feel pretty safe IDing the red variety because there are fewer look-a-likes. Nice finds.

Offlineymhrswrider
Butthead

Re: Possible Amanita muscaria found. Need ID. Have PICS. [Re: shroomydan]
    #5909845 - 07/28/06 07:39 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

So the EROWID website said that these have to be dried at a certain temp (between 170-210degF?) in order to produce the cemicals I want. Is that really the case or should I be drying these like cubes?

--------------------

Offlineymhrswrider
Butthead

#5909847 - 07/28/06 07:39 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Also, can I get a second opinion on the id of these to make me feel all warm and fuzzy.

--------------------

InvisibleYESSUP
In The Thick Of It
 User Gallery

Loc: SE Tex
    #5909858 - 07/28/06 07:45 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ymhrswrider said:
Also, can I get a second opinion on the id of these to make me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Dan gave you an ID there is no reason he knows his shit!

--------------------
Gut Feeling leads to anxiety, Anxiety leads to fear, Fear leads to anger,And anger leads to regret.

Edited by YESSUP (07/28/06 07:46 PM)

Offlineymhrswrider
Butthead

Re: Possible Amanita muscaria found. Need ID. Have PICS. [Re: YESSUP]
    #5909865 - 07/28/06 07:49 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I'm sure he does, just want to double check before I kill myself thanks.

--------------------

InvisibleMontanahunter420
Mushroom Hunter
Male User Gallery

Re: Possible Amanita muscaria found. Need ID. Have PICS. [Re: YESSUP]
    #5909869 - 07/28/06 07:50 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

The lighter cap all of the way to the right in the first picture looks like a differnt amanita don't eat that one!

--------------------
All of my posts are purely fictional and for hypothetical purposes.

Mushroom Hunter
Male User Gallery

Re: Possible Amanita muscaria found. Need ID. Have PICS. [Re: Montanahunter420]
    #5909877 - 07/28/06 07:53 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I did try the cooking them thing in the oven when I consumed amantia's. I didn't have too much nausea and had a hard trip. Just a warning it's far differnt then a shroom trip.

--------------------

Offlineymhrswrider
Butthead

#5909931 - 07/28/06 08:09 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

According to what I've read, the caps will lose their color quickly with age and direct sunlight. The patch I found that one in was full of mature fruits that also were in the sunlight.

--------------------

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #5909962 - 07/28/06 08:20 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

It's always good to ask for second opinions, especially when dealing with a genus that contain deadly mushrooms.

Mushroom Hunter
Male User Gallery

#5909965 - 07/28/06 08:21 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

It's the one in the bottom right corner of the first picture that makes me nervous. The faded orange ones look ok but I would be worried about consuming the brownish colored one. I've been looking in my spot where Amanita muscaria var. formosa grow almost every year and have found two differnt brown amanita species in the same spot. It's very possible the cap faded lighter on that speciman but it also is possible another species of amanita's that looked similar where growing with the Amanita muscarias . I personally wouldn't chance eating that one just to be safe. Here is a good spot to look at the differn't species of amanita's http://www.mushroomexpert.com/amanita.html

--------------------

Invisiblepsiclops
# 1
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #5910077 - 07/28/06 09:05 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

jeverden has made a very good point. I hope it is not ignored. He may only have 35 posts, but he seems to know a bit about A. muscaria.

It looks like you have a hefty amount of A. muscaria, and it wouldn't hurt to throw that one out. Besides, it doesn't look all that hot anyways.

Also, even A. muscaria can be harmful. The chemicals target your nervous system, and should be taken very seriously.

It seems to me (since you asked for second opinions, and seem to be researching) that you know what you are doing, but you should absulutely learn all you can learn about a species of mushroom before comsuming it.

Later.

OfflineFeelers
Anti-Myth-Rhythm-Rock-Shocker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of Oz
Re: Possible Amanita muscaria found. Need ID. Have PICS. [Re: psiclops]
    #5910333 - 07/28/06 10:11 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Since I find thousands of amanitas without any hassel I try to make sure I get only the best quality specimens. Perhaps 1/2 of the ones I find are faded, and while I'm sure they are muscaria I just leave them be. Since you have quite a few I would turf that bottom right browny one just to be totally safe.

I am sure that the redness indicates strength- well actually its more yellow under the skin that important, but red specimens seem to have this feature.

I have had a few run ins with eating amanitas - definately dry them till cracker dry, powder and drink in water OR if you have loads of them bake them and collect the yellow ooze that drips out - looks kinda like really bright olive oil.

I have noticed a large difference between strains etc, also due to the time of year. There are two major classes I put them in - very large warts that are very red, and small less numerous warts that are less intensly coloured. These varients probably originate from the different continents - with the european ones being the best (based on anecdotal evidence).

I believe I have found (here in New Zealand) the American varient, and have found a lot of nausea with little activity. My friends have had very strong experiences though - so its luck of the draw unfortunately. Yours look to be the american strain, but they look more potent than the ones I find.

The amanitas here have quite a different look those - yours seem the same colour but much bulkier, its kinda hard to explain. :grin:

Good luck with them!

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #5910620 - 07/28/06 11:29 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I'm from Colorado also, and those appear to be A. muscaria var. flavivolvata, which is the most common variety here.

I also agree with the idea of throwing out the really faded specimen. These mushrooms can rot and produce poisoning other than the toxins you are desiring.

My biggest piece of advice on eating them is that you take a very small dose the first time. You will still have enough to feel the effects, but not so much that you'll need to visit an emergency room if they're bad. Almost everybody I know who have tried these mushrooms have said they wouldn't try them again. You can always take a larger dose next time if decide there should be a next time.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlineymhrswrider
Butthead

Re: Possible Amanita muscaria found. Need ID. Have PICS. [Re: ToxicMan]
    #5910718 - 07/28/06 11:59 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Hmmm....Well that doesn't sound good. I would love to try these but ToxicMan seems to hit a point I've heard alot. Not many people seem to really like these. Well if I do keep these I'll get rid of the faded one for sure. For those of you who have tried them, would your opinion be that it is a waste of time to try these or worth it in your opinion. Just hypothetically of course.

--------------------

Invisiblebaycafe
Urawa RedDiamonds
 User Gallery

Loc: 埼玉県&...
    #5910767 - 07/29/06 12:20 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

In the pyschedelic experience forum, just search for muscaria. You'll get a list of posts, some of which discuss the experience that others had and occassionally the aftermath of such an experience. Everyone is unique and you should consider that you may not have the same experience that others have had. I think it really takes a person looking for a spiritual journey to appreciate what it has to offer them and I don't speak from personnal experience. From what I gather, there is nearly a 50-50 split from those that would try it again and those that wouldn't.

--------------------
I think my eyes are getting better. Instead of a big dark blur I see a big light blur.

俺のシロシャイビケッルリプスがここです。

東京スカパラダイスオクストラ

OfflineChiefbluntsmoker
peace and loveis all we got
Re: Possible Amanita muscaria found. Need ID. Have PICS. [Re: baycafe]
    #5910824 - 07/29/06 12:43 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Alright guys i just wanna tell you my experience with muscaria. I tried it once and honestly it didn't make me trip at all just made me feel kidna relaxed and tired, hell it might not of even done that i could of just been calm natrually. I ate about 2 big mushrooms fresh so maybee it wasnt enuff you tell me? Anyways i'm from Michigan And Amanita Muscaria(formosa) is extremely commen in the fall time. for any other michiganders who seek to find them just look under blue spruce pine trees i promise you wont go wrong lol. Well just putting my input in on them and they taste nasty as hell so i don't know if i'll try them again. Anyone else from michigan had any descent experience with amanita var formosa? oh yeah and michigans are a lil different there bright orange with white dots sometimes a bit red or a nice round reddish in the middle After all they are Formosa and thast what the muscaia formosa looks like
mitch. A
Ps. if anyone has a good experience with Muscaria from michigan please let me know, for i only tried it once and would try it again maybee the 2 fresh mushies i ate just wasn't enuff beats me

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #5910878 - 07/29/06 01:02 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

It's worth noting that, in Colorado, A. muscaria and A. pantherina together account for the majority of mushroom poisoning cases that end up in emergency rooms. We also have Chlorophyllum molybdites here, and it's in second place.

If you search you will also find accounts by people who claim to enjoy these Amanitas.

My experience in talking with people who have tried them is about 95% definitely didn't like it and about 5% say they do. Obviously, YMMV.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineFeelers
Anti-Myth-Rhythm-Rock-Shocker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of Oz
Re: Possible Amanita muscaria found. Need ID. Have PICS. [Re: ToxicMan]
    #5911437 - 07/29/06 09:00 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Well back in the day when reading up on legal ways to get high - (we were all there once :grin: ) my friends and I decided to try amanitas. We cooked them fresh (bad thing to do)spewed, and everyone but me had a good time.

They seem to be a mixed bag - I'm a very weak stomach, and I have had nothing but a slight calming effect, while others have seen fire-works exploding off peoples faces. From what I picked up - if you can get on "the buzz" of amanitas, it's really good/fun, otherwise you just feel sick.

If you dry these cracker dry, eating them is easy, they loose all their flavour, and you can just eat the powder straight or in OJ or something.
I would suggest giving them a try - my friends found them really really good, after the nausea at the start. If you can, take them and have a nap, and arrange to be woken up about 1 1/2 hours after ingestion. That way you avoid the nausea, and wake up in the dream like state that seems to be where you want to get to.

Worst case scenario you are sick for a few hours, best case you have an amazing time. Dont worry too much about the poisoning aspect - remember that is hospital admitions - ie people take unknown mushrooms and feel sick so they freak and rush to ER.
Taking 2-3 caps is fine, A. pantherina is a different story - its ten times more potent.
People are scared by these because they are the "deadly toadstools" when in real life there are real ones to worry about. In Japan these are actually eaten for food!

Offlineymhrswrider
Butthead

Re: Possible Amanita muscaria found. Need ID. Have PICS. [Re: Feelers]
    #5911835 - 07/29/06 11:53 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

So what would be a safe way to rule out these being poisoness? How low of a dose could I take to not receive a significant amount of poison but still be able to tell if they are active?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom