Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleCowgold
Bullshit

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: .
Re: why do the 20-somethings always get fucked? [Re: DoctorJ]
    #5909339 - 07/28/06 03:37 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

WhiskeyClone said:
Quote:

DoctorJ said:
yeah, they tell you all this bullshit when you're in school, like its gonna improve your life when you get out and have that degree,

but thats all bullshit- I mean, they tell you that because they are trying to sell you an education. 

Nobody ever tried to tell me that a psychology degree was going to improve my life.  :smirk:

Education doesn't guarantee anything.  It's skills that make money, and skills that land jobs.  Your education is an old-fashioned way for potential employers to determine what skills you are likely to have.  Any employer would rather hire someone with 4 years of related experience than a four-year related degree. 

I'm 25 and I'm on my second career. I attempted to make a living by programming computers, which I hate, and I ended up going back to school to take geomatics.  Much happier now.

What did you want to be when you decided to take psychology?  Does it still interest you at all? And what's stopping you now from still pursuing it?  If you want to do the rehab cousellor thing, maybe the head shop isn't the best thing to have on your resume.  If you want to get your foot in the door, volunteer at an addictions foundation or agency.  They love volunteers.  Tell everyone you work with that you want to get into the counselling field and you have a psych degree.

If the area of psychology doesn't appeal to you anymore, you need to plan to do something else for a living.  You can't do something you hate.  There is money to be made in many areas, even for people who have no prior experience in that area; it just depends on what you're willing to do.  For example, working as a construction labourer can yield lots of money fairly quickly, but it isn't for everybody.  Some of the most valuable skills are blue collar skills like welding, power mechanics, operating, carpentry, etc. if you're not afraid to venture into that sector.  There are also varying degrees of bluecollarness.  I ended up straddling the line.  I do surveying and engineering design.  Half the day I'm on construction sites, half the day I'm in the office.

Expel from your mind the idea that you are a fucked 20-something, or you'll be a fucked 30-something before you know it.  You'll end up doing something anyways, it's just better if you determine what it is with the resources you do have, rather than letting life's momentum deposit you where it will.

Some damn good advice.  :thumbup: 

There's also always a demand for blue collar skills.  Get one under your belt and then move on from there... If things go sour, you'll always have that skill to fall back on.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: why do the 20-somethings always get fucked? [Re: Cowgold]
    #5909373 - 07/28/06 03:47 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I dunno, I just seem to get fuckd at every job I get.

I once worked for this health food store for like 3 fuckin years

had the highest numbers and everything, but never got promoted

and it was basically because of politics, like all the managers were crooked as fuck and they knew I wouldn't go along so they never let me in their little club.

and as soon as I found out why I never got upped they had me fired for some bullshit technicality that they would have let anyone else off for.

fuckin bullshit. I honestly busted my ass at that job and never got any credit, so now I'm just like "Whats the point?"

I'm so sick of coming up with good ideas at jobs and they never get enacted because the prick-ass boss thinks he knows better, even though he sits in the back all day and doesn't really know shit about the customer service end of the job.

I live in this crooked ass city where bad business and scamming is pretty much the rule and not the exception, so its like I never get trusted with authority because I'm just not shady enough, not willing to bend over and then dump all the shit on the people below me.

yeah, really I've just been trying to put together the capital to start my own business, that would be sweet, but I have all these ties to the underworld and its just so tempting to stay there because its so much easier than an honest buck which some other crooked asshole is just gonna end up jacking you for anyway....

Its like you have to be shady just to keep up with all the other shady motherfuckers out there...

Offlinekosmic_charlie
Truckin' in style
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep Elem
    #5909595 - 07/28/06 05:24 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I hear you man. I am 25 also and struggling trying to reach that 30k mark. Doesn't seem like too much to ask. You gotta start with a crap job and work your way up. I'd say if you want something more, get out of retail and work for a company that will give you the experience you need to slowly advance to something better. It takes time.

It sucks because we're living in the wake of the baby boomer generation. Just watch as the cost of health care rises as the baby boomers get older.

I sure hope my 30's are easier than my 20's.

--------------------

Goin' where the water tastes like wine.

Invisiblerod
Ψ
 User Gallery

#5909615 - 07/28/06 05:35 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

This I do know beyond any reasonable doubt. Regardless of what you are doing, if you pump long enough, hard enough and enthusiastically enough, sooner or later the effort will bring forth the reward.
    Zig Ziglar

This quote isn,t bullshit, it is true. :thumbup:

Offlinekosmic_charlie
Truckin' in style
Male User Gallery

Re: why do the 20-somethings always get fucked? [Re: rod]
    #5909623 - 07/28/06 05:39 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Exactly. You reap what you sow. But unfortunately the fruits of your labor hardly ever come as soon as you would like them to.

--------------------

Invisiblegema
Freedom from the Known

Loc: t(here)
    #5909645 - 07/28/06 05:46 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

You went into the wrong business. I got friends that make at least 45k/year hooking up with the union and learning a trade. mechanic, flooring, carpentry, cabinets, etc is where it's at.

Offlinebobjones
Male

Loc: Tx
Re: why do the 20-somethings always get fucked? [Re: kosmic_charlie]
    #5909648 - 07/28/06 05:47 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

us young 20 somethings might actually be set up pretty nicely by the baby boomers.

here in a few years they will all be retiring, and a huge ammount of job openings will go unfilled. there aren't near enough people to fill all those positions.
what i'm mainly worried about now is getting a little experience in a field i can do something in, and then wait it out till places start opening up.

--------------------
"Outside of a dog a book is a man's friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read"
-Groucho Marx

Offlinekosmic_charlie
Truckin' in style
Male User Gallery

Re: why do the 20-somethings always get fucked? [Re: gema]
    #5909667 - 07/28/06 05:53 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Skilled trades are where the moneys at. I was looking into real-estate appraisal and with a little education and state certification you can start at 40k at least. A four year college degree is pretty much mandatory but I got that under my belt already.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom