Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
why do the 20-somethings always get fucked?
    #5908607 - 07/28/06 10:58 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

OK, so I'm 25 now,

I got a degree

but I still work fucking retail.

and it seems like the only way to get a job is to know someone.

but everyone I know is a fucking criminal,

so I can't find a decent job thats honest, even though I have an education.

And everyone I know thats my age is in the same fucking boat- I know people with masters degrees that work at fucking Starbucks and Barnes and Nobles.

I mean, fucking $30k a year and benefits, is that so much to ask? Apparently it is, because all those jobs are going to older people with connections and the 20-somethings get fucked because we are new to the world.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
Re: why do the 20-somethings always get fucked? [Re: DoctorJ]
    #5908620 - 07/28/06 11:06 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

What degree do you have?

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

#5908622 - 07/28/06 11:07 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

You got to sell your self like a whore and thats just about it. Get on the online job things. You got to mail and mail and mail some more your resume till you think you are gonna break. Do you have a degree in a specific field?

if you cant find a decent job, make one.

Offlinekilroy69
POKER GOD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jackson,MI. And not in pr...
Re: why do the 20-somethings always get fucked? [Re: d33p]
    #5908626 - 07/28/06 11:08 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I like fucking 20 somethings because they have nice bods and their boobs are perky.

--------------------
Yeaaa im still alive.

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Re: why do the 20-somethings always get fucked? [Re: d33p]
    #5908642 - 07/28/06 11:13 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

BA in Psych

couldn't handle grad school + job

might go back someday when I'm rich enough to devote my full attention to school.

Can't do that starving student shit anymore, you know trying to survive AND go to school at the same time. Did that for 5 years, and now I'm just like 'fuck it'. I got so burnt out my last semester of school, trying to juggle classes and 3 fucking jobs, my GPA went from like 3.4 to 2.9 in one semester. So I was like 'fuck this, just gimme my BA and I'm out'

now I'm lookin for a job in social services. So I can go back to leading the double life, you know- being good by day and evil by night. Because the job I'm at now is a fuckin headshop, so it feels like I'm just an all around criminal. At least with a social work job I'd feel like I was giving back to the community, kind of balancing out all the criminal behavior and shit.

Offlinebobjones
Male

Loc: Tx
    #5908700 - 07/28/06 11:33 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

in a few short years i'll be in the same boat you are...cant wait... :tongue2:

--------------------
"Outside of a dog a book is a man's friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read"
-Groucho Marx

InvisibleCowgold
Bullshit

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: .
    #5908711 - 07/28/06 11:38 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Go work for a company that is focused on growth, start from the bottom and work your way up.

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Re: why do the 20-somethings always get fucked? [Re: bobjones]
    #5908724 - 07/28/06 11:42 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

yeah, they tell you all this bullshit when you're in school, like its gonna improve your life when you get out and have that degree,

but thats all bullshit- I mean, they tell you that because they are trying to sell you an education. 

I dunno, I mean I can survive on my own, thats no problem, but I worry about the future.  Like I know I'm not gonna be young forever, and I'd like to get onto some good medical coverage. 

As ironic as it sounds, I think the job I'd be most qualified for is a drug rehab counselor.  Just because I know the ghetto and I have an education- like I'm familiar with both perspectives.

I remember getting homeis off meth by locking them in a room for a week, slippin food under the door and shit.  Of course, mopst times my rehab consists of, "Don't smoke that Ice, here smoke this dank instead>" :lol:  Get em so stoned they forget about the hard shit.  Don't know if that would go over at Betty Ford, though :rofl:

Offlinetheuser
DON'T LOOK
Male User Gallery
    #5908729 - 07/28/06 11:44 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

DoctorJ said:
OK, so I'm 25 now,

I got a degree

but I still work fucking retail. 

and it seems like the only way to get a job is to know someone.

but everyone I know is a fucking criminal,

so I can't find a decent job thats honest, even though I have an education. 

And everyone I know thats my age is in the same fucking boat- I know people with masters degrees that work at fucking Starbucks and Barnes and Nobles. 

I mean, fucking $30k a year and benefits, is that so much to ask?  Apparently it is, because all those jobs are going to older people with connections and the 20-somethings get fucked because we are new to the world.

I am 25 as well. I've owned my own companies for 3 years now. It just depends on how hard you work. There are PLENTY of successful people in their 20's. :wink:

Good luck out there.

--------------------
:heart:

OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Valleys of Willamette Flag
Re: why do the 20-somethings always get fucked? [Re: theuser]
    #5908733 - 07/28/06 11:46 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Hell I'm only 20, and I still get fucked all the time. It starts immediately.

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
    #5908734 - 07/28/06 11:46 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Sadly I notice that a lot of it has to do with either knowing the right people, or being in the right place at the right time.

I have worked jobs that I was nowhere near qualified for. I hadn't even graduated HS yet when I was working in an accounting office doing payrolls, tax returns, and bookkeeping. All because I knew a guy who was a CPA and ran his own business. He taught me everything.
I was making up to $50+ an hour sometimes.. it all depends on the type of work we were doing and how much of it was there.

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

OfflineCapless
Student
 User Gallery

Re: why do the 20-somethings always get fucked? [Re: Maverick]
    #5908742 - 07/28/06 11:49 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

YOU HAVE A B.A. IN PSYCHOLOGY

Every bullshit job I've ever had, which has been plenty in my young life mind you, I have had a manager that was a psychology major. Mostly having one is about the same as having a business degree. Unless you pick a focus and work past just a BA in Psychology you're doomed to be those managers that I've seen growing older and older each year. Sitting on your degree for longer isn't going to make it better either. The masters is becoming the new BA now.

--------------------
http://www.toolband.com/
"... This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality.
Embrace this moment. Remember, We are eternal.
all this pain is an illusion...."

Edited by Capless (07/28/06 11:50 AM)

InvisibleCowgold
Bullshit

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: .
    #5908756 - 07/28/06 11:58 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

More than just knowing people... you've gotta bust your ass.

Someone asked my boss one day... "How many people do you have workin for you?"
He said, "About half of em."

Then there's that vulture joke...

One vulture says to the other, "Patience."
The other says, "Nah, let's go kill something!"

InvisibleSimisu
taken by gravity
 User Gallery

Loc: Israeli in Flag
Re: why do the 20-somethings always get fucked? [Re: Cowgold]
    #5908812 - 07/28/06 12:27 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

at least its behind you!

my brother is 30 years old now and up untill a few months ago he was struggeling to keep his head up! he's a biology majour or something like that (i'm not quite sure what the defenishion is) and he works as a labtech right now... he hates it!

and that's exectly the reason why i'm stuck... i see NO FUTURE in anything so i simply don't bother (i'm gonna regret these wasted years but i don't know what alse to do :shrug:)

--------------------
:mushdance::sanpedro::peyote::mushroom2: :heart: Shr:supershroom::supershroom:mery :heart: :mushroom2::peyote::sanpedro::mushdance:
      Visit & Support Free Spore Ring Earth
      :sun: Please help spread live Salvia Divinorum :sun:

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #5908901 - 07/28/06 01:09 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Dude, I would love to be working at a head shop right now. Instead, I'm cleaning bathrooms and vacuuming floors.

Anyway, I say it's a conspiracy to get more people to join the military.

--------------------

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Re: why do the 20-somethings always get fucked? [Re: Silversoul]
    #5908916 - 07/28/06 01:12 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

you graduated, right?

I thought you wre really close

hey, at least you got $40g's from your parents

my dad gave me a pack of cigarettes and was like: "Smoke up, Johnny."

:smile:

Offlinerawtoxic
Stranger
Loc: smokey mountains
    #5908977 - 07/28/06 01:32 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

i knew this guy, he's only 27 now, he grew 300 pounds of outdoor weed for 5 seasons in a row and now he met some girl in Poland and has disappeared off the face of the earth with her and his money - somewhere in the tune of 5 seasons x 300 pounds = 1500 pounds total x $3000 low wholesale for outdoor nugs = $4.5 million conservatively.

he has a degree in nothing. he worked an average of 60 hours a week on his crops in the summer months (driving, watering, digging, hauling supplies) and then some general cloning/preperation all winter.

might as well get started now.

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #5909110 - 07/28/06 02:33 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

DoctorJ said:
yeah, they tell you all this bullshit when you're in school, like its gonna improve your life when you get out and have that degree,

but thats all bullshit- I mean, they tell you that because they are trying to sell you an education. 

Nobody ever tried to tell me that a psychology degree was going to improve my life.  :smirk:

Education doesn't guarantee anything.  It's skills that make money, and skills that land jobs.  Your education is an old-fashioned way for potential employers to determine what skills you are likely to have.  Any employer would rather hire someone with 4 years of related experience than a four-year related degree. 

I'm 25 and I'm on my second career. I attempted to make a living by programming computers, which I hate, and I ended up going back to school to take geomatics.  Much happier now.

What did you want to be when you decided to take psychology?  Does it still interest you at all? And what's stopping you now from still pursuing it?  If you want to do the rehab cousellor thing, maybe the head shop isn't the best thing to have on your resume.  If you want to get your foot in the door, volunteer at an addictions foundation or agency.  They love volunteers.  Tell everyone you work with that you want to get into the counselling field and you have a psych degree.

If the area of psychology doesn't appeal to you anymore, you need to plan to do something else for a living.  You can't do something you hate.  There is money to be made in many areas, even for people who have no prior experience in that area; it just depends on what you're willing to do.  For example, working as a construction labourer can yield lots of money fairly quickly, but it isn't for everybody.  Some of the most valuable skills are blue collar skills like welding, power mechanics, operating, carpentry, etc. if you're not afraid to venture into that sector.  There are also varying degrees of bluecollarness.  I ended up straddling the line.  I do surveying and engineering design.  Half the day I'm on construction sites, half the day I'm in the office.

Expel from your mind the idea that you are a fucked 20-something, or you'll be a fucked 30-something before you know it.  You'll end up doing something anyways, it's just better if you determine what it is with the resources you do have, rather than letting life's momentum deposit you where it will.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

OfflineSaucerfulofmoon
Jackass

Re: why do the 20-somethings always get fucked? [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #5909157 - 07/28/06 02:49 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Start your own company and only hire 20-somethings

OfflineRamlaen
Pysconaut
 User Gallery

Re: why do the 20-somethings always get fucked? [Re: Saucerfulofmoon]
    #5909268 - 07/28/06 03:23 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Starting your own company is a great option for sure. If you ahve an idea time + passion.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck