Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
ok i started my training
    #5907188 - 07/27/06 10:28 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

and will be keeping a journal. its high time i got off my lazy fucking ass. i went to the actuaal gym, as opposed to just my home bench...ive started a begining strength type workout. ive been reading that isolation lifts are on the way out and compound lifting is where its at. so im only doing compound lifts. i might add in an iso at the end of the week for my forearms just cuz i have long arms.

Example:

Week 1:

Monday - Workout A
Wednesday -Workout B
Friday - Workout A

Week 2:

Monday - Workout B
Wednesday - Workout A
Friday - Workout B

Repeat.

Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift
2x8 Dips

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Standing military press
3x5 Pendlay or Bent Rows
2x8 Chin-ups

here is my warmup:

2x5xbar (sets x reps x weight)
1x5x85
1x3x125
1x2x155

And the working set weight would be 175.

ive also changed the diet will be eating clean (very little fat) and 4 full meals per day supplementing with healthy snacks and protien shakes.

wakeup - 40g protien shake
breakfast - 1cup steelcut oats + 6 egg whites
20g shake
mid - lean turkey sandwich on wheat
lunch - 12inch chicken sub on wheat
snack - 20g shake, lite yougurt banana, granola bar
pre workout - 40g (20g whey, 20g casein) shake with oat powder
post workout - 40g shake with oat powder
dinner - chicken, fish or lean beef with veggies and baked potato
snack - cottage cheese
bedtime - 40g casein protien shake

ive also ordered a bunch of supplements which i'll add to list when they arrive

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Re: ok i started my training [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #5907196 - 07/27/06 10:30 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

workout A was today, im already sore as fuck. workout B will be saturday. im gonna update stats every 2 weeks and document with pics monthly. righ now im weighing in at 6' 5" 227lbs

OfflineChazzersize
Pokemon Master
Male

Loc: Center Of The World
    #5907507 - 07/28/06 12:05 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

You're going to have to make room for the EFA's. Fat isnt neccesarily a terrible thing, you need fat to burn fat.

The only fat you should EVER avoid is transitive. Saturated is alright in moderation, while your poly and monos just plain kick ass.

Great menu though :smile:

--------------------
Take off my mask and leave the lies to the liars.

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Re: ok i started my training [Re: Chazzersize]
    #5909601 - 07/28/06 05:28 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

yeah im going to be adding fish oil caps to my diet for EFA. also 1 cup of unsalted penuts per day

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: ok i started my training [Re: Chazzersize]
    #5909665 - 07/28/06 05:53 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Awesome advice. Stole the words right out of my mouth. I was going to add that you could taper up the saturated fat and permit SOME allowance... your body will need it for hormone production, but don't think that you should load up on mc dicks or anything. Natty PB is the easiest way to go.

My diet was actually TOO clean, so I just bought some natty PB (basically only made with peanuts) and I just have a table spoon of that. Makes it really easy to tweak your diet. Same thing with steel cut oats. If your caloric intake drops, have a shake with a third cup of oats and you have 200 cals, 30g of low GI carbs and some good old fiber. It'll fill you up too, especially the fiber and slow burning carbs.

One thing I would change about your routine is the rep range. I'd say stick to the 6-10 rep range for the exercises you're doing. Most people advocate 4-8 for those types of compounds, some swear by a high rep range regardless, but 4-8 is pretty safe to stick with. Your routine should no doubt put on solid mass, but it'll be brutal at that low of a range. And considering how you allow yourself some time off to recouperate, go the distance, get some more clean reps in there and see how things go.

Them peanuts will do you good too. The arginine and efas are my fav. If you need help with your routine, there's lots of folks on here that really seem to know their shit. Good luck, man. Just remember to STAY committed, stay hydrated, DO NOT MISS MEALS (worse than missing training) and lift safe/smart. :thumbup:

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Re: ok i started my training [Re: browndustin]
    #5910113 - 07/28/06 09:13 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

im following mark rippetoe's program. ive been told by everyone on the bodybuilding.com boards not to deviate at all from the program. also low reps are key for building mass. you wont build mass as quickly at a higher range. i used to lift like it was my job and i got pretty big with low reps. i wanna see what these compounds lifts do for me. i nervous about no bicep iso, but they say its not needed.

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

#5910220 - 07/28/06 09:44 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I agree that low reps do build mass better than anything, but don't forget that genetics, intensity and form also have a big part to play. Wish I could come to the gym and actually work out with ya, because everyone can learn something from everyone.

I'm not sure at what level of intensity you work out at, but I'd generally err for a few more reps. Considering the fact you want to be SURE to stimulate your muscle fibers to their max, you will have a buffer for at least the first rep (which I sometimes don't even count).

But I'm sure that if you've researched things this much, you know what you wanna do. Just throwing in my two pennies. I'm gonna get on your behind if you don't post updates, so better make sure you do, bro!!

I love compound reps but I have a problem deviating from my current routine. Three on, one off, two on, one off. I do Shoulders/Arms/Legs, Off, Chest/Back, Off. I found this to be perfect for the fact that everything recovers, I can do squats, deads and bench without messing anything else up and I'm just really liking my routine. Yea yeaaaaa... I actually squat 305lbs for 5 reps today too, lol, broke the 300lb barrier, hell yea.

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #5910687 - 07/28/06 11:50 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Fuck yeah. I just hit the weights again. I did three different workout sessions. I was sore AS FUCK. But, after the third session I was ok. Now I need to keep at it. Time to get back to being in shape instead of being a scrawny fucker. I need to gain some muscle back.

OfflineThe_Hobbit
Bilbo Baggins
 User Gallery

Loc: The Shire
Re: ok i started my training [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #5911122 - 07/29/06 03:37 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

My advice is to take it easy and remember that there is always another day ahead of you. It's tempting to go too far when working out. You may let things get out of hand and forget to use your common sense when deciding what to do.

This is why I beleive it's very important to mentally prep for a workout. You need to take the time to get into a good rythm where you are focused and relaxed. The workout should make you stronger in that respect. I look at it more as a test of my mind than my body. I know that if my mind is in the right place during the whole workout, I will get awesome results. Not only that, it will be much funner because I will be pushing my limits as far as possible rather than stagnating.

If you think you are tough stuff, you are just waisting energy. Real strength comes from self awareness. You have to be open to experience and adapt when necessary. You are your own best teacher - trust your gut instinct.

P.S. Realize.. 1 good set is better than 3 bad ones. Never be afraid to take time off or take it easy because you need to heal in order to get stronger.

--------------------
Smoking my hobbit leaf...
Please keep in mind that I am just a human being. Please read my posts carefully and interpret their meaning for yourself.

Invisiblegoobler
Reanimated
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5911343 - 07/29/06 07:44 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

god I hate squats

Invisibledr_gonz
. [Re: goobler]
    #5911614 - 07/29/06 10:32 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: ok i started my training [Re: dr_gonz]
    #5911727 - 07/29/06 11:08 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Ditto. Squats suck the big one. They are a must if you are serious about working out though.

Invisibledr_gonz
. [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #5911810 - 07/29/06 11:45 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: ok i started my training [Re: dr_gonz]
    #5911831 - 07/29/06 11:52 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Thong-Tha-Tha-Tha-Thong

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
    #5911893 - 07/29/06 12:19 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I'd so much rather work my lower body than my upper body. My legs are naturally strong as fuck, but once you get above my waist, my power base is gone.

I used to be able to do squats all day in HS when I fucked around in the gym, but I never could bench jack-shit.

All this talk about training sounds cool, but I have nowhere the motivation to do any of it currently. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see how it goes for KOTT.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #5912150 - 07/29/06 02:01 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

off topic...but Whenever I do squats or leg press even with light weights I get a really sharp pain in my lower knee cap, it's been like this for almost 3 years now. Any medical diagnosis I can have done to figure out if I fucked it up for good, or if I can get past it.

Also I am tired of my shitty home equipment, which is why I stopped working out. I was wondering what it may cost to buy some half decent used stuff from a gym or smething. Bench(incline and decline interchangable would be nice), EZ curl bad, couple of 30lbs + dumbells and about 200lbs of plates....??

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #5912490 - 07/29/06 04:11 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I've been missing my workouts for the past week. Time to get back on track.

--------------------

Invisiblegoobler
Reanimated
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: ok i started my training [Re: barfightlard]
    #5912536 - 07/29/06 04:36 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

used weights generally go for .10 /lbs depends where you get them

as far as equipment if your are talking resistance machines your best bet is ebay

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: ok i started my training [Re: barfightlard]
    #5912980 - 07/29/06 07:31 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I wouldn't take any knee injuries too lightly. If you have any medical coverage, go get that sucka checked out. I really don't take any risks. You're young and don't need any joint problems this early in life.

I love doing squats. Did them in the Smith Machine until a chick at work told me she could do two plates (not in the smith machine!). She obviously has a trainer who watches her and she doesn't go ass to ground, but she wasn't lying.

Working out legs is very important. And if you want to get really big, squats are arguably the most complete whole body exersize. I thankfully have full calfs thanks to my mom's genetics, and it's funny walking around and seeing dudes working their chest and bi's everyday, but they have pinner as FUCK legs. I could kick in one of those chicken legs and they're had to amputate their fucking foot off hahaha.

I never gained much mass UNTIL I started squatting.... on leg days, I wake up feeling very emotional. I know it's going to be tough, the bar might fall on my ass or I might faint. But it has to be done.

In regards to hobbit's advice, I must concur as always. If I just cannot throw up the weight I normally do, I'll work at a comfortable weight and keep my rep range up a little bit. I focus COMPLETELY on extreme volumization at that point. That means at the end of the set I may hold a static contraction, start doing some burns and pump my muscles like my life depends on it. It's a great way to rebound back from a shitty workout, and your muscles still get to work very intensely. This has worked awesome for me. And next time I get back in the gym, I'll be pushing new weights and making more progress again.

--------------------

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Re: ok i started my training [Re: goobler]
    #5913405 - 07/29/06 10:42 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

i cant even walk or bend down, you haveno fucking clue how sore my fucking legs are. i was walking like i just got ass fucked at work today. now i gotta work tomorrow.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #5913980 - 07/30/06 03:25 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

KingOftheThing said:
i was walking like i just got ass fucked at work today.

So, it was like a normal day?  :smirk:

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #5914116 - 07/30/06 04:51 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

:rimshot:

--------------------

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: ok i started my training [Re: Silversoul]
    #5914772 - 07/30/06 11:56 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Har har har har har

I do share your pain though. I did compression squats on Friday because the gym was closing sooner than expected. Same amount of time I normally do squats in, but an extra set, plus I hit a pr.

I just walked upstairs for some milk for a protein shake.... it wasn't so bad.... getting DOWN them was another story. I almost twisted my ankle because I was so focused on my quads burning. :discodance:

Hey, do you want to know what really helps with DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness, the pain we both share at the moment) though? Running. Yup. Honest to god, I heard that it helps flush out ammonia and other toxins that your body releases to stop muscle breakdown. Remember, your body does something similar to what those special frogs do when they freeze during winter. Our bodies go into survival mode and all this shit creates DOMS. Go for a run, let the muscles warm up and blood gush through to feed those aching muscles.... I swear I'm not bullshitting you. It hurts, especially after squats but it'll leave you feeling pretty fresh after.

I'd go for a run today, but my diet has been slacking and I can't burn any cals. I'm working out chest and I'd have to force feed myself all day because of my poor diet yesterday lol. But hey, being sore is better than not being sore. Keep it up.

--------------------

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
    #5914843 - 07/30/06 12:28 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I guess when you are young you go to the gym to swap sweat (and a few nasty germs) and pump dat iron and who knows maybe even socialize a little bit. Been there, done that.

And sure it's nice to build muscle and pumpin dat iron is the fastest way to do that.

For me at my advanced age I can't handle the techno music most of the gyms have pumpin up da base while u pumpin dat iron. Hurts my ears.

Plus, I have a Concept2 rowing machine that builds strong bodies 12 ways and is aerobic as hell while not killing your joints like running does or not practical in the winter/rain/heat/city like cycling is.

Really, though, the best exercise is either walking up and down hills or through the woods or really anywhere you can, or mountain biking, skiing, windsurfing, hiking and anything else outdoors that will make your mind satisfied. Work out all the bullshit of the modern world, your job etc. and the resulting stress.

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Re: ok i started my training [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #5923238 - 08/01/06 09:19 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

my supplements arrived today, they are:

1) fish oil tabs
2) ON Whey
3) ON Casein
4) Green Magnatude Creatine
5) GlyceGrow
6) Purple Wrath (EAA & BCAA)

Invisiblequiver
freedrug
Male

#5927748 - 08/03/06 03:47 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

you should get plenty of bcaas in the whey protien shakes so i've heard

whats glycegrow?
ive googled and cant find it

--------------------

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: ok i started my training [Re: quiver]
    #5929232 - 08/03/06 05:34 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Glycergrow is Glycerol Monostearate

http://forums.bulknutrition.com/?showtopic=24466

This breaks it down wonderfully. PT started playing with straight GMS a few years before he became a rep for Controlled Labs, and their Glycergrow product is cheaper than bulk GMS. There's also taurine and potassium which help with your electrolytes.

GMS gives you a bit of a diuretic effect after a while which is nice. You don't retain water in the wrong places basically. In my case, I drink a protein shake (which I'm doing now), I slam two scoops of Glycergrow, drink my creatine and get to the gym. By the time I'm there I have to piss really bad so I warm up, have a huuuuge piss, more Glycergrow (to prolong the hyperhydration, don't want it spiking) and I can consume 2 more liters of water while I work out. When I'm done, I have a protein shake and that also makes me piss, and I'm able to hit my quota for the day (about 6L).

Glycergrow's nice because it's cheap as hell and lasts anywhere from 3-5 months. Only need to cycle off of it every 3 months so your body responds better to it and promotes further cell volumization. Great to stack with any creatine as it pulls subcutaneous water and not water from your muscles.

--------------------

Invisiblequiver
freedrug
Male

#5930263 - 08/04/06 01:00 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

cool thx bd
i'll checkit out

--------------------

OfflinexDuckYouSuckerx
xBannedx
 User Gallery

#5930539 - 08/04/06 05:38 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

KOTT- What are your "goals"? Setting goals always makes your workout have more purpose and gives you some drive. Do you want to benchpress more? Do you want to lean up? Do you want to look like a guy who is ripped up, or do you want to be nice and big and ripped? If you are lifting for strength, check out www.flexonline.com Those guys know what they are talking about.

Re: Supplements - I'd wait until you started taking most supplements. Your protein shake (the whey) should have a good compliment of amino acids and you are eating enough meat to be getting some creatine and complimentary proteins. Work out for at least a month with no supplements. It's important to do this because you want to know how your body works. How can you tell if using creatine helps if you don't know how you bulk up naturally? If you do decide to take supplements, remember that they are designed to supplement a VERY active lifestyle that involves frequent weight training. My advice? Don't take any supplements, other than the protein shakes, until you've managed to do a whole month of no-missed workouts.

I'd also consider swapping a sweet potato for the baked potato.
http://boards.flexonline.com/ib/ikonboard.cgi?s=f8cc15f3428e7b81cab5dc31710d5cb9;act=ST;f=3;t=9427
I basically don't eat anything that isn't on that list. Lots of tuna, lots of skinless baked, lots of salmon and venison.

If you are trying to lose weight (gain lean muscle), then you might want to trim the calories down some more. Doing a 5-6 meal's per day thing means SMALL meals. That 12" sub is WAY too much. Here is a sample of my diet...

Meal 1 - Two eggs blended with oats to make a oatmeal pancake. Nothing on top

Meal 2 - Protein shake: Lowfat milk, lowfat vanilla yogurt, two scoops oatmeal, one scoop wheat germ, one bannana, one scoop protein powder

Meal 3 - Two chicken breasts, skinless boneless, one cup of rice or veggies

Meal 4 - Another protein shake

Meal 5 - two turkey burgers with a cup of veggies

And right before bed, I make a protein shake with just milk, yogurt, wheat germ and protein powder.

I'll post more as I think of it. Definatly check into www.flexonline.com

--------------------
Unions are the bastions of the mediocre. - luvdemshrooms

OfflinexDuckYouSuckerx
xBannedx
 User Gallery

#5930543 - 08/04/06 05:45 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I just read all of those supplements. As a personal trainer and ex-military, I can tell you that statistically, from what I've seen, you are on the wrong path. Most people that stock up on all sorts of magic-pill supplements don't put forth the effort required to make them work. Put all of those supplements in the back of your cupboard and work out HARD for a month. If you haven't missed ONE workout, haven't slacked off one bit, then you probably have the tenacity to train and make use of the supplements. Using creatine in your first 1-2 weeks of working out has NEVER worked for anyone that I've met. Don't overstress your body, your first month should just be used to get your muscles "Ready" for whats coming next.

IT sounds like you are training hard, which is a great thing. But don't try to go the "magic potion" route that so many people do. Remember, guys like Ronnie Coleman DO use creatine, but they also work out harder than guys like us could even imagine. If you are working out properly and modifying your diet, you'll lose weight and add lean muscle. If you aren't, no amount of supplements will make you look better.

Wait exactly four weeks from your first start date... if you haven't missed ONE workout, juice up with the creatine. Creatine does work fantastically, really, I'm a big fan of it myself. I'm about 2 weeks away from starting up another cycle. Is the stuff you have micronized? If not, up the grams that you have to intake by 25% so that it'll compensate for the lack of absorption

good luck

--------------------

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: ok i started my training [Re: xDuckYouSuckerx]
    #5932470 - 08/04/06 07:21 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I haven't seen anything ASIDES from Creapure on the shelves. I'd sure hope that it's micronized.

Thanks for the tips too, man. I'm gonna make some pancakes with oats now!! I've been meaning to pick my caloric intake a little bit and it's hard when I eat an egg meal and go looking for something like oats.

--------------------

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

#5958383 - 08/13/06 03:14 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

It's been a while. Bump, bump. Update that shit, nucka.

How you liking Ripptoe? I checked into it some more and I'm thinking yeah, it's not too shabby. I think if you have your shit down though, there wouldn't be any reason NOT to grow as long as you honor the goals you've laid out.

Do you like the Green MAG at all???? I'm diggin it. I've never had this much of a strenth increase from any supplement. But then again, I'm natural so yeah...

Can you handle the taste of Purple Wraath? Lots of people don't like it, but I love it. I have one coming in the mail, one free from Tank (CEO of controlled labs) and I'm getting another for sending in 10 UPC labels from their company lol. My favorite product. EAAs plus other goodies. I've gone for nearly two weeks without and it suuuucks. Hope that you're digging it.

On your Off days, you should mix one full scoop of Purple Wraath plus one half scoop of Green MAG in a liter of water. It tastes fucking amazing. I drink this pre cardio and it's awesome. Tastes so fucking good. I always get ripped and start fiending for it.

--------------------

Invisibleeligal
Noobie

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California
    #5958416 - 08/13/06 04:26 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

browndustin said:
I'm getting another for sending in 10 UPC labels from their company 

:strokebeard:

--------------------
\m/ Spanksta \m/

"do you have the freedom to do with your nervous system what you want?"

"MolokoMilkPlus said:
I'll respect you if you let me give you a blow job"

"tactik said:
respect the can."

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: ok i started my training [Re: eligal]
    #5959349 - 08/13/06 02:13 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Yep, yep. Customer appreciation kind of thing. Tank and Pu from Controlled Labs will hook you up with a sick black T-Shirt if you send in 5, and if you send in 10 then you can get any product from their company.

And if you HAVE 10 labels, go for the Green MAGnitude or Purple Wraath. They're the most expensive and most economical, imo. I think they're running this promotion until October 1st. Visit the www.bodybuilding.com forums and click on the Company Promotion Sub Forum to see more details.

Tank from Controlled Labs is a very generous man.

But KOTT, you have to post, nucka. You liking Ripptoe?

--------------------

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

#5960136 - 08/13/06 06:33 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

im progressing nicely, going up in weight on lifts and have gained 2 lbs. im loving the compounds, espcially the chin ups

OfflinexDuckYouSuckerx
xBannedx
 User Gallery

#5960593 - 08/13/06 09:15 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

How many chins do you do, or do ya use a negative machine

--------------------

InvisibleCracka_X
Spiritual Dirt Worshipper
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Swamp
    #5960761 - 08/13/06 09:49 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Have you ever thought that maybe you should just do mon wed fri Workout A for 3 weeks... then have a rest week, consisting of lighter load on sets then the next 3 weeks do workout B???

Training should be done in cycles and after that rest/recovery week you'll be ready to introduce the variation to your body.

--------------------
The best way to live
is to be like water
For water benefits all things
and goes against none of them
It provides for all people
and even cleanses those places
a man is loath to go
In this way it is just like Tao        ~Daodejing

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Re: ok i started my training [Re: Cracka_X]
    #5961163 - 08/13/06 11:43 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

no offense man, but i think i'll follow what mark rippetoe says...he's only been trainging atheletes his entire life :wink:

i do chins on a machine, just cuz im so big my arms arent strong enough to pull me up 2x8 at the end of a workout. but i only have to put 30 lbs on the machine sooo i'll have the training wheels off in about a month... i'll probably be putting on the chain and belt within 2 months

OfflinexDuckYouSuckerx
xBannedx
 User Gallery

#5961207 - 08/13/06 11:52 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Thats cool, chinups are GREAT workouts for your lats. I use the negative machine too for the same reason you do. I always finish up my lat workout by doing a few sets of pyramids on the chinup machine. I start at about 60% of max and then add weight (lower the resistance) after every set, doing them as quickly as I can. I'll do max reps at one weight, stop while my friend lowers the resistance 20 lbs and do max, and just keep doing that until I can't do ANY reps with full assistance.

And yea, don't change your routine. Stick with SOMETHING for a month or two, then fine-tune it as needed.

--------------------

Invisibleeligal
Noobie

Folding@home Statistics
    #5961870 - 08/14/06 05:14 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Hmm... I think a small routine change every now and then is good, it prevents your body from hitting those platoos or whatever they are called.

--------------------
\m/ Spanksta \m/

"MolokoMilkPlus said:

"tactik said:
respect the can."

InvisibleCracka_X
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5961882 - 08/14/06 05:27 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

no offense man, but i think i'll follow what mark rippetoe says...he's only been trainging atheletes his entire life

man i feel like i'm just throwing this right back at ya :smile: but...

I've played hockey all my life; club, travel, and the state's all-star team.  On the side I throw the discus the hammer and the weight in Track & Field.  I have a state title and was ranked 13th in the nation and now i'm a collegiate athlete with a world class coach.

My coach has been training athletes all his life as well!  Olympians, world record holders, NFL players, NHL players, and numerous NCAA national champs.

Basically Master Yoda is my coach...

I'm not trying to blow smoke up yer ass, though many say I have an asshole tendency, but what I say has a lot of research to back it up.

If you follow doing your workouts in "cycles" 3weeks on, 1 week recovery then change it up for the next 3 week cycle.  That recovery week is when the sets and reps decrease and you see your maxes.  you will see your lifts just shoot through the roof. 

Don't take my word for it but if you ever start feeling like you're not making any progress then try the parameters i laid out.

... what about your legs and core?  I see you do squats but what about russian twists?  how about calf raises? put a 45lbs plate on your back and try lunges?  dynamic lunges with 30% of your body weight?(you'll really feel this)

After the next couple weeks, you're going to get so used to the lifts you're doing.  Variation is key to developing the body and keeping your physiology on always adjusting.

Just trying to help ya out man and give ya some ideas. best of luck

--------------------
The best way to live
is to be like water
a man is loath to go

OfflinexDuckYouSuckerx
xBannedx
 User Gallery

Re: ok i started my training [Re: eligal]
    #5962198 - 08/14/06 10:04 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

You don't have to change routine, per se, just the exercizes. Their is a difference between training to be an "athlete" and training to be big and strong. If some soccer player started shit with me, I'd laugh in his swarthy face before popping his nose open. If you want to have a nice physique you should have developed muscles and low body fat. I think that having larger muscles looks very good, personally. I also think that you should be working out 110% every time you are in the gym. Why bother going if you aren't going to be working hard? I don't understand taking a week off. None of the guys @ www.flexonline.com take a week off and they seem to be pretty developed.

--------------------

InvisibleCracka_X
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5962535 - 08/14/06 12:09 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

xDuckYouSuckerx said:
You don't have to change routine, per se, just the exercizes. Their is a difference between training to be an "athlete" and training to be big and strong. If some soccer player started shit with me, I'd laugh in his swarthy face before popping his nose open. If you want to have a nice physique you should have developed muscles and low body fat. I think that having larger muscles looks very good, personally. I also think that you should be working out 110% every time you are in the gym. Why bother going if you aren't going to be working hard? I don't understand taking a week off. None of the guys @ www.flexonline.com take a week off and they seem to be pretty developed.

I guess it's all a choice in preference. If you want to be a big bulky impressive mass or functionally versatile with a great body. That soccer player could probably tango around you and knock you out before your your hand could touch him, because he's more functional than you. Now, you need time off. It doesn't have to be a week completely off, it can be a light load for one week but you can't drive you body non-stop 24/7. We're not machines. Just like certain supplements need to be cycled, you need to cycle your training for whatever it is.

Those guys on flexonline.com are most likely roided up. I can't recall any big time body builder who hasn't been juicin'. They're bad models.

I know I'm interjecting my opinions but whatever, take it however ya'll will.

--------------------
The best way to live
is to be like water
a man is loath to go

Invisibleeligal
Noobie

Folding@home Statistics
    #5963040 - 08/14/06 03:08 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

xDuckYouSuckerx said:

maybe I didnt read this whole thread and so missed something, I dont know, but I never said to take a week off... A week is a long time. Id say three days max. But when I said routine should be changed I meant the excercises done, reps, etc....

--------------------
\m/ Spanksta \m/

"MolokoMilkPlus said:

"tactik said:
respect the can."

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

#5963635 - 08/14/06 06:20 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I've been reading more about training styles like DC (Dog Crap) training, and it's all about going balls to the wall each time you have a workout session. If you're doing anything less, you're going backwards. While I'll sometimes back off from trying to hit a PR when I'm feeling burnt in the gym, I agree for the most part. I at LEAST try to match my last session.

eligal, cracka recommended a week off. While everyone's opinions are appreciated, muscle recovers after approximately 72 hours and can be trained again without leading to over training. About a 5 days to a week is appropriate for most people to train the same muscle group again. Of course if you have an advanced training routine, take this with a grain of salt.

As far as plateaus are concerned, the only thing that I'm suffering with is my fucking flat bench. Threw in rotator cuff exercises, close grip bench presses, tried training with high volume, low volume, training for speed, etc.... stuck at fucking 225lbs for reps. Feels like I'll fucking be stuck here forever but my squat's gone up 50lbs and my deadlifts have gone up 100lbs, bench... still the fucking same.

--------------------

InvisibleCracka_X
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5964243 - 08/14/06 09:24 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

not a week "completely off" but a recovery week which is lighter in load/sets/reps

hehe I havn't heard of DC training. Have you heard about HIT or SHIT training?

...High intensity training... super high intensity training...

it's the big rave with all the football programs where they go to different exercises and do 1 set to failure. For those who have the genes, they'll survives and become better but for those who're average joes the training hurts more than anything. Lazy strength coaches or uninformed ones don't understand the great benefit of olympic lifts... then again a lot of football players have learning disabilities and SHIT training is the safe way for them. Anyhow, off on a tangent there.

Quote:

As far as plateaus are concerned, the only thing that I'm suffering with is my fucking flat bench. Threw in rotator cuff exercises, close grip bench presses, tried training with high volume, low volume, training for speed, etc.... stuck at fucking 225lbs for reps. Feels like I'll fucking be stuck here forever but my squat's gone up 50lbs and my deadlifts have gone up 100lbs, bench... still the fucking same.

If you want to see a difference, take my word. have a routine of 70-80% for 3 weeks doing the exercises like bench, squat, deadlift... on mon weds and fri then tues, thurs, and maybe even sat do something along a body building with leg curls, arm curls, pull ups, dips, n such...

on the 4th week, this will be the recovery/rest week. just work out mon weds and friday with less reps for sets. You'll notice a tremendous increase in strength.

My max before this was 305 and it's not like I am consistent with my max but now I've done 330 for 2reps. I used to clean 120K max with some change but now I've caught 140K(310lbs) because of this training cycle. You may not be wanting to goto the olympics but these are the cycles that olympic caliber athletes base their training around and there's obvious results.

--------------------
The best way to live
is to be like water
a man is loath to go

OfflineRRRR
Rapture Ready

Folding@home Statistics
    #5965522 - 08/15/06 09:36 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

No cardio? :eek:

Cardio is my number one priority, by far.

--------------------
Now when He was asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, He answered them and said, "The kingdom of God does not come with observation; nor will they say, 'See here!' or 'See there!' For indeed, the kingdom of God is within you." Luke 17:20-21 (New King James Version)

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Re: ok i started my training [Re: RRRR]
    #5981976 - 08/20/06 05:25 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

ive gained 5 lbs so far...iv think ive noticed a few physical changes.. i got to talking with a few huge dudes at the gym...i plan on changing my workout routine sooner than i thought. im gonna give this a couple more months...just because ive been making some good gains. i think next on my list will be a 5x5

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

#5982720 - 08/20/06 11:33 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

5x5 would be the way to go now that you're picking up steam again  :thumbup:

The good thing about being a newb lifter or coming back off of a lay off is that you'll have great gains if you keep your shit in check. Ripptoe is good for that as well. But it just takes a little while in the gym to get that mind-muscle connection going and you're set. 5x5 would be a good direction to look at.

Congrats on the gains. Nothing feels better than gaining lean body mass.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order