Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Amazon Agar, HEPA Filter

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAztec03
Stop that itchnow!
Male
Appropriate time to remove casing lid?
    #5905554 - 07/27/06 04:32 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Hello fine people of the Shroomery, I'm a long time lurker, low time poster. I have a question pertaining to a current grow.

I'm rather nervous about keeping up with the air exchange in my casing tub. My setup is in an opaque rubber tub, sterilized, and then the bottom cased.

A tiny digital thermo/hygro meter is attached to a light bulb wired to the tub lid. In my current readings, the tub always stays at approximately 90% humidity at a comfy 76 degrees.

I'm trying to fruit the casing now, and I wanted to make sure I did my air exchange sufficiently. As of now, every so often throughout the day I'll open the tub and fan it. I'm worried this won't be enough.

Logically, I'd think to move the lid so the light can still shine on the casing, but leave a good sized hole that I can cover with a towel.

On the other hand, wont this make humidity and temperature harder to control? I'd really like advice on the matter, cuz I don't want aborts, and I'd like to have it somewhat contam resistant. (I've read that green mold only grows in standing air)

Thanks!

Edited by Aztec03 (07/27/06 04:33 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Appropriate time to remove casing lid? [Re: Aztec03]
    #5905609 - 07/27/06 04:43 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Keep doing whatever you're doing to maintain 90% RH and 76F. FAE is way overrated IMO, so don't worry about it. If you're fanning at least once per day that's plenty.

-FF

OfflineAztec03
Stop that itchnow!
Male
Re: Appropriate time to remove casing lid? [Re: fastfred]
    #5905627 - 07/27/06 04:48 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Wow, fast reply, and thanks! :smile:

OfflineJSshroom
dont be paranoid, just aware

Loc: I love that spore drop
    #5905655 - 07/27/06 04:55 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I disagree. FAE is very important on top of the removal of co2. You might turn it into a mono tub with some polyfil holes or filters on the sides. Moving the lid to open is not gonna help. co2 is heavier then air. I do not even like fanning my tubs. I use a small fan or a big Hepa blower. open the lid and really get it all out. If you are using some kind of airstone in a cup of water to help with air exchange and humidity cracking the lid equally on each corner is ok. it equalizes the humidity release. it also positively pressurizes your chamber and just adjust the lid closure for humidity control. search agar Automated FAE. thats what you need its cheap and easy

--------------------
First Grow No more carpet tek

InvisibleTippinthru
contented

Loc: "The Garden"...
    #5905668 - 07/27/06 04:58 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

FAE is IMO not overrated.
Lack of FAE often causes stunted, misshapen gnarly fruits.

Do not, allow DIRECT sunlight to hit fruits, either.

Unless you want stalled growth, and/or cracked caps.

--------------------
Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time...
[

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
    #5905671 - 07/27/06 04:59 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Not only was freds answer fast, but very incorrect. You want to fan much more than once per day. At least several times per day in fact. Initiation strategy for pinning calls for very high humidity with massive amounts of air exchange.

Air exchange is also very important as you stated for protection from molds such as trichoderma and cobweb.

Mist as required to keep your humidity high, and fan every time you think of it. You can leave the lid crooked for constant air exchange as well, but you should still fan to get to the air pockets down in the casing layer. Good luck.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Appropriate time to remove casing lid? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5905688 - 07/27/06 05:02 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

LOL....Three separate corrections for bad advice within four minutes. Now THAT'S fast.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Appropriate time to remove casing lid? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5905734 - 07/27/06 05:16 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Everyone's entitled to their opinion I suppose. I've seen far more people suffer from over-fanning problems than lack of FAE.

IME once a day is enough. In fact, I've never had any problems with NO FANNING AT ALL with just a single 3/4 inch CO2 drainage hole filled with polyfill.

Maybe the strains have gotten weaker in the last 5 years, but I doubt it.

-FF

InvisibleSpookerShroom
Shroomerite
Re: Appropriate time to remove casing lid? [Re: fastfred]
    #5905761 - 07/27/06 05:23 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I have small fans which run 15 minutes every 2 hours and I never have any problems with over-fanning, and thats about 3 hours of fanning total a day.... but I also only do bulk so that might be why.

If you want to make it semi automated then just get some small 40mm computer fans and wire them to a timer.

Edit, just wanted to add, mycophiles bulk neglect states that he only fanned/misted/ect once a day or once every few days...with a loosely draped plastic over the top.....so in some cases I suppose people can get away with fanning very little, like you said FF.

But, mycophile is also very good at what he does, and I'm sure everyones own setup will require different techniques according to their own conditions and setup.

So, you will learn to examine your fruits and daignose whats going on with them over/under fanning, with time, and adjust accordingly, but as RR said I would play it safe and try to keep it at a few times a day at least.

Edited by SpookerShroom (07/27/06 05:29 PM)

OfflineJSshroom
dont be paranoid, just aware

Loc: I love that spore drop
Re: Appropriate time to remove casing lid? [Re: SpookerShroom]
    #5906014 - 07/27/06 06:42 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

well fastfred
as I stated he may need to turn it into a mono tub for co2 release. at one fanning a day without the holes he is gonna have nothing working out for him. You can also use a pump and cup of water with iodine or peroxide in it and not crack your lid and let the polyfil do the work. dont cram too much polyfil in there either it wont allow enough exchange

--------------------
First Grow No more carpet tek

OfflineAztec03
Stop that itchnow!
Male
Re: Appropriate time to remove casing lid? [Re: JSshroom]
    #5911696 - 07/29/06 12:59 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Well, thanks for all of the help guys. I've noticed that there are quite a few pieces of info that conflict with each other on these boards, and it looks like the majority here is telling me to go with more air flow.

I'll piece together something later today, maybe I'll rig up a nice little automated exchange like JSshroom suggested.

Again, thanks much.

OfflineYamidude
Stranger

#5911755 - 07/29/06 01:16 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Aztec03 said:
Well, thanks for all of the help guys. I've noticed that there are quite a few USERS that conflict with each other on these boards, and it looks like the majority here is telling me to go with more air flow.

I'll piece together something later today, maybe I'll rig up a nice little automated exchange like JSshroom suggested.

Again, thanks much.

really only 1 that conflicts with most.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Amazon Agar, HEPA Filter

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation