Home | Community | Message Board

Reliable Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, HPS, Paul Stamets, Spawn Bags, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
lions mane yes more questions about the lions (picture update)
    #5893341 - 07/24/06 04:16 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

ok a few questions

1. a ball started to form, it started out white, turned somewhat yellowish, then boom in about 8 hours time it has turned pinkish in all the pictures i have seen, they have never been pinkish.

IS this normal? what is a good color/s to pick my fruits at?

2. my lions mane currectly looks like coral, but i hear as it matures i will get spikes, are these spikes edible, or desirable in flavor? worth waiting for?

overall my intentions were to wait for spikes so i knew that the ball had stopped growing, but these colors threw me off.

would be cool if i got some weird strain "Pink lions mane" HEHE

anyways the bag is about 5 days into fruiting, i can post some pictures tomorrow if anyone would like to see.

thx in advance for any help

p.s. any recipes for lions mane? ive searched and seen it asked a many times, but not many replys

PICTURES

its funny they don't look this pink in person, they just had a slight pink tinge. top of the bag looks pink in the picture too so must just be the camera

thought i would post some pictures of my miatake as well. any guesses how long i have to wait for fruits on these guys yet? im assuming them white balls forming are just going to turn brown the the others....such a slow process.

oh and here is a little peak at my upcoming projects, everything is WBS. the quart jars are 4 black poplar, 4 lions, 4 miatake, bags are lion and miatake got a 3rd bag waiting for lc...they all seem to love the wbs cann't wait to compare the fruits.

you can already see the lions mane growth in the picture, the miatake isn't doing so well the lc was a little old i think

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

Edited by makaveli8x8 (07/25/06 04:34 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineblackmorelman
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: lions mane yes more questions about the lions [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #5894219 - 07/24/06 02:31 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Hi. You probably have the Stamets guide to growing gourmet and medicinal shrooms, but, if not here are a couple excerpts:

Offlineblackmorelman
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: lions mane yes more questions about the lions [Re: blackmorelman]
    #5894239 - 07/24/06 02:40 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Damn! I just wrote out a long post and lost it where I put quotation marks. Anyway I'll try again but will shorten my reply. The Stamets guide says that mane mycelium can age to yellow or distictively pinkish. If not used fresh, the fruitbodies can be dried and powdered. Fresh, cut the shrroms transverse to the spines. Cook at high heat in canola oil until moisture is reduced and the dials are golden brown. Garlic, onions, and almonds go well with this shroom. The addition of a little butter at the end of cooking brings out the lobster flavor. A combination of shiitake and lion's mane cooked this way with a touch of soy or tamari added to rice is excellent. I would love to see your pics and to have your entire recipes and growing steps. I inoculated logs with 600 plugs, and grew out mycelium onto agar and sawdust/chips+millet. I want to use grow bags with a good recipe of sawdust/chips+millet+ a dash of lime. Any tips are greatly appreciated and I can;t wait to see your pics. Good luck.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: lions mane yes more questions about the lions [Re: blackmorelman]
    #5894436 - 07/24/06 03:54 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

In my experience with hericium strains, when they begin to yellow, they quit growing. I doubt you'll see the distinctive teeth form. Perhaps your growing environment is too hot or too dry? If it still hasn't resumed growth, harvest now before it becomes too tough to enjoy. I have a few strains growing out on agar now, including some I cloned from the old growth forests of Washington State. Hopefully, by the time they're ready to fruit, we'll be seeing some lower temperatures. I have a time lapse video of lion's mane growing, but haven't had time to post it to my website yet. I grow them in spawn bags, then about a week after full colonization, I cut a small hole in the side, and they fruit from there. You can also fruit them in ziploc bags, but without a filter patch, you need to open them once per day in front of the flowhood to air them out. It's labor intensive, but works. Good luck with yours.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #5894604 - 07/24/06 04:57 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

to get the teeth you need to lie the bag on it's side so that it can grow vertically down:

--------------------
buh

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: lions mane yes more questions about the lions [Re: shirley knott]
    #5894707 - 07/24/06 05:30 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Here's one of the wild fruits I've cloned from the Pacific Northwest, USA. They're one of my favorite species. Mrs rabbit cooks them up in a creamy wine sauce and they're excellent.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: lions mane yes more questions about the lions [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5894959 - 07/24/06 07:08 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

well I was TRICKED. im not sure what color they are now. i have my bags under a 150 watt hps, not directly under it be close enough to get some light...anyways last night it shut off so i used regular house lighting which was incadecent, under house lights it is pink, under my hps it is white still. so ill let it grow some more.

ill take some pictures in about an hour or so, im afriad it looks very sad compared to the pictures seen above. its just a 1 pound bag from a sponsor. i have about a 5 or 10 pound bag of wbs ive just injected. i don't have that book either by the way, but i hear alot about it i plan to get it someday.

yeah i like your grow log by the way shirly.

id love to see that video rr, also how does your strains compare to the ones on the market?

--------------------

Edited by makaveli8x8 (07/24/06 07:10 PM)

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #5897003 - 07/25/06 04:48 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

updates/

--------------------

Offlineblackmorelman
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: lions mane yes more questions about the lions (picture update) [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #5898905 - 07/25/06 07:24 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Nice pics. How did you proceed from mane on agar up to the ready-to-fruit growbag? Did you go agar to birdseed to wood+grain? If so, what is your recipe for birdseed in a jar and wood+grain in a growbag. I seem to be running into the problem of consistent substrate in the jar (moisture, etc.) And my fruiting substrates in he grow bag have been weird too. Like I have gotten shiitake bags to go competely white with mycelium, begin to turn brown and STOP. Help this newbie! Thanks.

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: lions mane yes more questions about the lions (picture update) [Re: blackmorelman]
    #5899255 - 07/25/06 09:11 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

well i think you were talkin to rr, but ill help with what i can.

as for wbs jars check this link

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showfla...ID=#Post5265642

its not that hard just rinse your wbs and then give it a few shakes in the strainer, and scoop it into your jars with a spoon ( gives it all time to drain slowly too)at a time and you should be good.

as for wbs recipe i myself just use the birdseed and thats all..i think the reason my lions mane is fruiting so small is because my bag is so small...those pictures up above are big bags like the ones i just injected....and they cut a few small holes unlike me who cut the whole top off my bag like an idiot.

as for shiitake i havn't grown that but i think its similar to miatake, once my bag turned brown, as seen in the picture...it took about another month before i got them brown primorda or w/e they are.

if you have them in a bag like mine, make sure they havn't dryed out 2 much...try to keep a little mosture in there, or throw them into a fruiting chamber purhaps.

--------------------

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: lions mane yes more questions about the lions (picture update) [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #5899829 - 07/25/06 11:41 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

also here is a link to shirley's growlog? has a recipe in there for lions mane as well

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=Growlog&Number=3631426&fpart=&PHPSESSID=

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, HPS, Paul Stamets, Spawn Bags, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms