Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBabo911
Pooper Scooper
 User Gallery

Loc: Arizona Bay
Birthday present idea
    #5896144 - 07/24/06 10:19 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Ok, i have been asking around around and trying to think of a wat to do somehitng for my friends birthday. Here is my idea so far....

in vitro

why not? Simple enough right? I was thinking of just making a Qt of rye and fill it up 2/3 and inject and give it to him.

Tell him when it is 1/3 and 2/3 white to shake and after that don't do anything.

I was thinking about using Doc's lids that I usually use for my WBS but have never had a contam with. You think this will work?

--------------------

Ronhero on the Growery is me

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Birthday present idea [Re: Babo911]
    #5896251 - 07/24/06 10:39 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

well i won't lecture but just a reminder that being quiet about your hobby is best, so be sure its a very, very trusted friend...

i have done this once, in my case it was a very trusted friend, somebody like they say you'd trust your life with.  he also lives at a great distance form me and his other friends and i don't know one another, and he's quite a bit older than myself so i knew there wouldn't be any silly drama or irresponsibility on his part...

anyway, i took a 2L soda bottle and cutting the top off right where the bottle narrows, then cutting a little strip off the top piece so the top would slide down inside snug.  i used some spray paint (plastic enamel, meant for spraying on plastic) and sprayed the bottom portion black to keep light out.  inside the bottle i filled the bottom with damp verm to fill in the sections on the bottom there so there was a level surface, crumbled a half pint pf cake, and cased the top with some more damp verm.  incubated it as you would a casing and when it started poking through i gave it to him.

it worked out great.  no maintenence on his part other than lifting the lid once or twice a day to let fresh air in.  he actually got 6 flushes out of the damned thing.  after the first flush i explained to gently drip some water down the sides so that it would run down the side into the verm on the bottom, acting like a moisture resivoir down there... i know its not the best way to do a real casing but hey it worked... he had it around for months and it just kept producing mushrooms...  i was shocked it didn't contam, we started wondering if it would ever end... he actually moved and threw it away before it stopped, it may have gone longer :smile:

its definitely a neat gift IF you can do it without jepordizing your safety and security and the person you're giving it to understands they basically have a miniature "schedule 1 drug manufacturing laboratory" on their hands and also treats it with the required respect.

Offlinenugjug
Wanderer

#5896269 - 07/24/06 10:45 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Creamcorn is on point about the security issues. That aside look into "The Coffee Project" under the advanced section. RogerRabbit found that the coffee helped in in vitro pinning. Basically just rinse the grain and then soak it in a 50% normal strength coffee solution and 50% water and then drain but don't rinse, can, PC, and inoculate. Good luck.

OfflineBabo911
Pooper Scooper
 User Gallery

Re: Birthday present idea [Re: nugjug]
    #5896290 - 07/24/06 10:51 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Long story short this is the friend who brought be into the world of growing my own. Just he is kinda lazy and not to clean (Apost to me)

So over the years I have had great success and he has given up. I give him an 1/8 here and there but I kinda want to try to give back the joy of doing it yourself to him

--------------------

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #5896320 - 07/24/06 11:00 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

yep the friend i spoke of is a similar situation, he got me into growing... not because he grew himself, but because he had a kit, was intimidated by all the sterile procedures (this was an old kit involving agar and the whole 9 yards), and told me i was the smartest person he knew and most likely to pull it off.  i did, and i wanted to do the same and give back and let him watch the grow a bit himself... he does get as many as he can eat from my crops for life as far as im concerned too. :smile:  (haha and he's taken me up on that, eating me out of house and home over here...)

like i said im not lecturing i think there are certain situations where there are those rare people you can trust, despite all the sticklers here, and even some who have had bad luck themeslves with so-called friends who turned on them...

but the point is the little mini-casing in the ultra poor mans terrarium worked fantastic, you could definitely do the same thing with rye if so inclined :thumbup:

Invisibleliamtheloser
Advanced Idiot
Male User Gallery
Re: Birthday present idea [Re: creamcorn]
    #5896338 - 07/24/06 11:06 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Another terrarium that works really good for this is a 40oz slurpee cup with the dome. I have 4 of them going in my living room... just slap a few pieces of micropore tape over the hole, or stuff the hole with polyfil and it's like a tiny domed terrarium.

--------------------

OfflineBabo911
Pooper Scooper
 User Gallery

Re: Birthday present idea [Re: liamtheloser]
    #5896371 - 07/24/06 11:18 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

haha I was looking at a wawa cup 32oz cup the other day and i was thinking that exact same thing. Cool to know it works :smile:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix