Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblesunconscious
Loc: Calgary
First Try - Incubator OK?
    #589164 - 03/25/02 04:58 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Here is a story from a guy I know:

I started with PF Tek substrate (added a dash of Soy flour for fun), made 3 1/2pint jars.  Then, I injected with B+ spores on March 15th.  I had initially planned to just leave the jars to incubate in a dark place.  However, upon purchasing a thermometer, found the only "safe" place was in my room, and it was a cool 60F in there.  My bathroom is heated, at about 75F, so I kept them in there until I built an incubator.

My cheesy incubator consists of a 10gallon fishtank ($10), a Walmart 50W heater ($15), a digital thermometer ($20).  Since the fishtank is very high, I had to stack some tiles on a bucket and put the jars on top, to keep from drowning.  The jars are sitting submerged in the water.  I put a "lid" on half the tank, with a towel thrown over top.  The heater cant be covered since it will fill with water :frown:  It isnt fully submersible.

I've had a little trouble keeping the temperature even.  The heater has no temp gauge :frown:  I'm thinking of moving to a smaller container with heat pad underneath.  Or is my current setup good enough?  It's not very stealthy!  Also, it is not completely dark, some dim light enters in the day, and when I turn my lights on.  Will this be a problem?  (I only have that bright light on so I could take the picture.)

When I first inoculated I saw no growth for a week.  Upon moving to the fishtank a few days ago, the growth has taken off rapidly! :smile:  There seems to be no contamination, but let me know if the picture proves me wrong.

Thanks to everyone for sharing mushroom info! :smile:

Incubator:

Incubator with towel on top:

Progress:

--------------------
=|) minds are growing

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDrAbeLincoln
enthusiast

Re: First Try - Incubator OK? [Re: sunconscious]
    #589205 - 03/25/02 05:38 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

You should try to keep it in complete darkness.....you can always substitute that aquarium for one of those 2 dollar styrofoam coolers...poke a hole through the side for the cord and drop the heater in a jug....top the jug off with foil so that not much water can evaporate and escape...

OfflineSterile
mushroom lover
 User Gallery

Loc: under the Amanita
Re: First Try - Incubator OK? [Re: sunconscious]
    #589212 - 03/25/02 05:40 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Your set up looks ok, spore germination some times takes a week anyway...the temp in your incubator should be around 86F the closer the better!  Light is not supposed to reach the jars, to not make the cakes pin before they are all 100% colonized , cos then,if you birth them its easier  to get contaminatation...but usually the cake will be 100% colonized if you have the right temp...
Your pic isnt cler enough, but the cake seems healthy...If you detect any other colour than white, or if you smell any strange odors, then you should worry...
I wish you luck! And good yields... :wink:

--------------------
The Source Of The Force
Is The Power Of The Mind

"if you don't like what you're doing, you can always pick up your needle and move to another groove." - timothy leary"
Anno: "-I can do anything with those clouds!"
Annos Tek

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate