Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSmokemon
Loc: Northeast
3 Questions for smart growers. (Please Respond!!!)
    #588449 - 03/24/02 07:56 PM (22 years, 1 hour ago)

1. I cooked up 4 quart jars of rye in a pressure cooker at 15 psi for one hour. Each had 260 grams ( a cup and a half ) of organic rye berries and 200 ml of distilled water. They looked pretty good. Nice, not too wet, not too dry. I inoculated them with 1.5 cc's of B+ spore solution each and shook them all up. That was 4 or 5 days ago and I'm not seeing any growth. They aren't in any kind of incubator or anything. Should I worry yet? How long until I should?

2. When I get these jars colonized and it's time to case, do I really need to sterilize my casing material? I'll be using verm right out of the bag and distilled water. There seems to be people who think sterilization is imperitive and others who say it's a waste of time. What's the deal?

3. Is an incubator worth the space, cash, and hassle? It looks like one could really speed growth. What are the pros and cons of an incubator? What are some good teks on making one? I'm looking at techniques involving a cooler and fishtank heater. What should I do?

--------------------
"The concept of "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness" is enshrined in the documents upon which this nation of ours is supposedly founded. If the pursuit of happiness does not mean the right to experiment with your own state of mind, then those words aren't worth the hemp they're written on." - Terence McKenna

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLilDon697
street chemist
Loc: Jerzy
Re: 3 Questions for smart growers. (Please Respond!!!) [Re: Smokemon]
    #588461 - 03/24/02 08:09 PM (22 years, 1 hour ago)

well im still new but from what i heard 1.5 cc isnt very much especially for quart jars . . . i woulda used mayb 3-4 cc's.

That isnt your real problem tho . .def go with an incubator . .the first time i tried this i hadnt had an incubator and nothing grew then i made an incubator and all my jars are showing growth. The reason being that u need heat and 80F is about the right temp. You can use anno's incubator setup . .when i find the link i will post it unless someone beat me to it. It is worth whatever money and time you spend on it.
Me on the other hand, i went with a rather simplistic incubator. Mine is just a large rubbermaid (scrubbed down with alcohol) and then a heating pad at the bottom of it on either med or low heat. I then put a towel over the heating pad so the jars are not in direct contact with the pad and then put the cover on(jars are on the towel). I also get very good result flipping my jars and opening the lids (ofcourse i have my filters on the outside of my jars so i can open my lids as much as i want really) but just open the lids alittle bit so there is some air exchange and flip them and you should do fine. Hope that helps and that its not to confusing.

Good luck!!!

--------------------
A Pimps only as good as his hoes!!!

OfflineSurf Bum
    #588465 - 03/24/02 08:11 PM (22 years, 1 hour ago)

1. give it a little more time to germinate, proper temperature is mandatory
2. sterilizing your casing vermiculite is so simple why not, it takes 15 minutes in the oven no big deal
3. go to walmart in the aquarium section and get the 50 watt heater, it sells for 15$ and they also have 2$ temp gauges, real simple changing color thermometers that you just tape to the side of your tank, then get you a styrofoam cooler for like $1.50 and your set, that equals less then 20$ and it helps a whole hell of alot

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #588842 - 03/25/02 08:34 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

1) Give them time. With older spores and cooler temps it is not uncommon for it to take up to two weeks before you see growth. If you don't see anything after a month, then you should start to worry.

2) The people that claim sterilizing casing is a waste of time have never had problems with contaminated casings. The lucky ones don't need to sterilize, the rest of us do. The way I see it, if you lose a casing to contamination, you lose a month of work... why take the risk to save an hour or two of time by not sterilizing.

3) Incubators will speed up the growth rate significantly. If you build one, be sure you test it for 24 hours before you put your goodies in there. Thermal death for cubensis mycelium is around 106F (Stamets, TMC). Watch the temperature cycles to make sure you stay around 83F to 86F. Remember, the temps in the jars/bags are a bit warmer than the ambient air temperature in the incubator.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineFosphor
My incubator setup [Re: Smokemon]
    #588886 - 03/25/02 09:41 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

My incubator setup:
1 Cheap ass styrofoam cooler (grocery store/gas station variety)
1 $12 50watt fishtank heater
1 Glass bottle (make sure it's tall enough to accomodate your heater)
1 Cheap fishtank thermometer

i had to trim out a little styro from the cooler to accomodate my bottle (from that banana/apricot/peach nastiness juice that stays on the shelves and no one ever buys). i placed my bottle in the center of the cooler and my thermometer on the outer edge (used wire through the cooler to make a little 'ring' to hold my thermometer).

i did notice that in order to keep the jars furthest from the bottle at ~84 deg. the closest jars tend to get a little hot. wraping the bottle in a hand towel seems to take care of this issue.

total cost ~$20

have fun, and GL =)
-Fos-

--------------------
We the unwilling, led by the unknowing,
to do the impossible, for the ungreatful.
We have done so much with so little for so long,
we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates