Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineEraserhead
Lost Soul
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth
A fishy problem
    #5886741 - 07/22/06 05:30 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I recently ended a friendship that resulted in me having a 55 gallon aquarium left in my house, while my ex-friend relocates, which could take months/years.

My knowledge of fish =  slimy and gross

These fish haven't been fed in 2 weeks until yesterday when I put a tiny amount of each of the foods I have in the tank.

There is a 7-9" Red Belly puku
a 8-10" algae eater (the black shadow under the big rock in 2nd pic)
3 kissing fish from 3-5"
1 eel of some sort that is about 3"
1 green/black spotted "puffer" fish of some sort that is only about 1.5-2"
a zebra striped fish of some sort that's about 3" long
2 tiny fish that are about 1" long

I have 3 different kinds of food left here, and some aquasafe crap?
I have Krill, Tropical flakes, and algae disks

The tank needs around 5+ gallons of water added to it... umm chlorine bad? I have fairly hard tap water (at LEAST 250ppm, I haven't got a truncheon yet to be able to test it, but everything gets calcium deposits badly)?
The fish, I assume, need to eat.. how much how often?

Damn these are gross to me :frown: I like my spiders and snakes... nice and DRY, and breath oxygen from the AIR.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemalarki
Master Jack ofAll Trades,Realist
Female User Gallery

Loc: Ashittown, USA
Re: A fishy problem [Re: Eraserhead]
    #5886743 - 07/22/06 05:32 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Wow.. Maybe u should call a pet store they are experts. But at least you will enjoy the fish tank :smile:

--------------------
~*~I'm also an educated guesser, and knowledge seeker :smile: If I haven't done it, I know someone who has. IF I don't know, I know someone who does! I am a realist so deal with it, if you don't like it you can choose to not read it!

OfflineEraserhead
Lost Soul
Male User Gallery

Re: A fishy problem [Re: malarki]
    #5886764 - 07/22/06 05:40 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

But I don't like fish :frown:

Edit: or telephones.. to hard to focus on spoken words... I'm anti-social

--------------------

Offlineroyer
±±±±±±±±±±

Loc: anywhere but here
    #5886850 - 07/22/06 06:23 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

if you read the aqua safe crap it will tell you that when you add water to mix like a capful per every 5 gallons of water and it makes your tap water safe for the fish. also if you feed once a day with every kind of food then you are doing good. any more questions pm me

--------------------
=================================================
if you have any questions please feel free to pm me , thx :-)

Invisiblecricket
Lord Cricket
Male User Gallery

Loc: in my house, in front of ...
Re: A fishy problem [Re: royer]
    #5887094 - 07/22/06 10:05 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

One small pinch of copper sulphate will fix that problem. You will never have to feed his stinking fish again.

There is always sushi night.

--------------------
I tried to leave my signature but it didn't work...
By the way... Does anybody know how to get sharpie markers off of a computer screen?

Offlinemicrosporum
:(
Female

Re: A fishy problem [Re: cricket]
    #5887107 - 07/22/06 10:13 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Use distilled water.
You can buy a dechlorinator liquid in any pet store. Also, feed small amounts daily. Not too much. Change the water every 2 weeks/month, about a 5.5 gallon water change. No offense but this aquarium is oddly setup. The puffer needs a higher PH than the other fish, and the Pacu can devour/kill any other fish.
Fish aren't disgusting; freshwater fish are.

Offlinesome1whoisntme
Stranger

#5887219 - 07/22/06 11:07 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Eraserhead said:
I recently ended a friendship that resulted in me having a 55 gallon aquarium left in my house, while my ex-friend relocates, which could take months/years.

My knowledge of fish =  slimy and gross

These fish haven't been fed in 2 weeks until yesterday when I put a tiny amount of each of the foods I have in the tank.

There is a 7-9" Red Belly puku
a 8-10" algae eater (the black shadow under the big rock in 2nd pic)
3 kissing fish from 3-5"
1 eel of some sort that is about 3"
1 green/black spotted "puffer" fish of some sort that is only about 1.5-2"
a zebra striped fish of some sort that's about 3" long
2 tiny fish that are about 1" long

I have 3 different kinds of food left here, and some aquasafe crap?
I have Krill, Tropical flakes, and algae disks

The tank needs around 5+ gallons of water added to it... umm chlorine bad? I have fairly hard tap water (at LEAST 250ppm, I haven't got a truncheon yet to be able to test it, but everything gets calcium deposits badly)?
The fish, I assume, need to eat.. how much how often?

Damn these are gross to me :frown: I like my spiders and snakes... nice and DRY, and breath oxygen from the AIR.

Well, that tank sounds pretty heavily loaded to me.  Those Kissing Gouramis are going to get a lot bigger too.But it looks like you're just wanting to maintain it for a while until its owner returns.

First, I wouldn't put too much hop in the puffer. He definitely isn't going to do well in that setup (Incorrect water chemistry and tank-mates that can out-eat him) but try and get him to eat a couple pieces of krill when you feed.  For minimum maintenance I would feed them the tropical flakes 1-2x/week, as much as they can eat in about 5 min (Just add small amounts at a time)  and then do a 25% water change once a week. This means take out 25% of the water using a siphon, then replace it with tap water treated with a dechlorinator liquid of approximately the same tempurature.

www.aquariacentral.com is a very good aquarium forum if you have other questions.

--------------------
"Ignore the distortion you're forced to percieve and believe that what supercedes is love, but who agrees?"

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

#5887316 - 07/22/06 11:53 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

No need to ditch them so far.
I will write a long detailed response shortly. Fish are my specialty; been keeping them/working with them for a least a decade.

I just have to figure out some way to wake up. Damn you, klonopin!

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

#5887400 - 07/22/06 12:29 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Alright. I'm semi awake now.

SO we have a 55 gal tank with the following:
1 8in Pacu
3 Kissing Gourami
1 3in Eel, which is probably some sort of loach. (black wish tan colored stripes?)
1 Leopard (who looks awful, btw)
1 "zebrafish" who i've yet to see
2-3 zebra danios(the small fish)

My first advice: Get rid of the Pacu. The will grow to about 2-3 feet. They get massive and destructive due to their size. Proper tank size for a Pacu is in the 180-210 gal range.

Second: Those Kissing gouramis will hit 7-8 inches or more. Then they turn into the fish of satan. Evil fuckers. I'd ditch them too.

The puffer is a brackish water(half salt/half fresh water). He wont do well in that tank for long. He's already not doing great. He should be a neon yellow-green color... He looks brown.

The pleco(algae eater) is a bit large for that tank.

Zebra danios will live in anything.

I also noticed that the temp of the water was around 73-74F. Not good. These are tropical fish. They need to be kept around 78-81F Crank that heater up a bit

My advice: Get rid of the pacu. Get rid of the Kissers. Trade the big pleco in for a smaller one. The eel thing can stay because it's probably a loach and posses no problem. Same goes with the danios. I have no clue what the Zebra fish is.

I'd also change out that gravel to something tht looks more natural(that red = grody, imo). Once the pacu and kissers are gone you should be able to put some low light plants in there. The fish will love them and they will look nice. Also do about a 50% water change and vacuum the gravel very well. Clean the filter cartriges. Once thats done fill the tank to the top so the water stops splashing and causing that hard water build up.

There is a lot more that could be said but I'm still waking up. I'll come back when my "I worked in the fish department for various stores since I was 14 years old" brain comes back on and offer more advice.

Offlinemicrosporum
:(
Female

Re: A fishy problem [Re: Gumby]
    #5888310 - 07/22/06 05:56 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Ehh, fish departments are far from professional from what I've seen locally. I'm not too familiar with freshwater, more with reefs/saltwater.

Offlineabsolute zero
The Hero
Male User Gallery
Loc: 127.0.0.1
    #5888499 - 07/22/06 06:33 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I'm sure i'll read through the replies to see someone already make this suggestions... but...

:toilet: ?

hehehe... I kid, I kid

--------------------

OfflineEraserhead
Lost Soul
Male User Gallery

Re: A fishy problem [Re: Gumby]
    #5888593 - 07/22/06 07:08 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Here is a shot of the "zebra striped thingy"

it's over on the left, and the eel sounds as you described, but it didn't want me to take a pic, it defiantly eats the krill, and so does the puffer, which isn't a neon green, more of a sickly green.

There was some kind of floating seaweed crap in there, but I think my ex-friend removed it when his light blew out.

My ex-friend is severely adhd and has fetal alcohol syndrome.. he's not the brightest of individuals, doesn't hold a job, doesn't do crap.. I can't deal with him anymore.. been dealing with him for 12 years.. his ex that we could have sent to jail months ago, almost managed to get me stuck in jail.. and I'm just done with the dude...

The filters on this thing haven't been changed in who knows how many months, he usually just rinsed them out, and added more water to it I believe, I never really payed any attention. I was just feeling a bit sorry for them since he hadn't came around to feed them for 2-3 weeks.

And I agree about the Pacu, between it and the puffer fish he was having problems putting any new fish in the tank, the pacu seems to want to hide constantly, and it doesn't really have anywhere to hide, it usually tries to jump out of the tank when I walk by, rather annoying if you ask me. Unfortunately that's his favorite one in the tank.

Thanks a ton Gumby.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds