Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offline19741974
Stranger
 User Gallery
misting casing possibbly going wrong
    #5886705 - 07/22/06 04:49 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Hello, i have 2 trays of WBS 1 1/2 inches with about 3/8 to 1/2 inch of casing on it. the trays were lightly patched after 3 days then put in a FC after 5 days when the myc sterted to pop through again. it is now about day 9 after casing. and i stared to notice around the areas were tht myc is thicking and turning more white the casing is drying. not much though. it just looks like the casing, which is black when moist is now ever so slightly turn brown. kind of like what tobaccoo looks like. just aroung where the myc is stronger. so 2 times a day i very lightly mist the casing with a very fine mist sprayer. about 7 sparys per 4x10x2 inch tray. but anywhere there is myc the mist just pools on it and the casing still seems to be drying faster that i can moisten it. i would do it more but i worried about the myc getting smothered with water. it's no really pooling like a puddle but it sure don't evaporate or soak in. except where it's just dirt. the casing came up very even though so it can't really get in there to apply water to just the bare spots(too risky) but it seems like i'm in a downward spiral. my RH hangs around 95%. so that's good. am i just freaking out. or does this look like trouble? However the casing is not to point where it is to dry and it won't absorb any water even in the bare spots it accually looks good and moist and black. i guess the myc really sucks the water out of the casing to the point where there is a few flakes of dirt that look the dry tobaccoo. allright i'm repeating myself. just worried that's all. Any help would be great. Thanx.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemalarki
Master Jack ofAll Trades,Realist
Female User Gallery

Loc: Ashittown, USA
Re: misting casing possibbly going wrong [Re: 19741974]
    #5886710 - 07/22/06 04:57 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Pics? First casing?

--------------------
~*~I'm also an educated guesser, and knowledge seeker :smile: If I haven't done it, I know someone who has. IF I don't know, I know someone who does! I am a realist so deal with it, if you don't like it you can choose to not read it!

Offline19741974
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: misting casing possibbly going wrong [Re: malarki]
    #5886719 - 07/22/06 05:08 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I get ya sone pic's in about a hour after my cam charges. what do yo mean by first casing? thanx malarki

Invisiblemalarki
Female User Gallery

#5886732 - 07/22/06 05:23 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Is this your first casing you have made? The first is always nerver racking I convinced my self I did everything wrong. When you get the pics up everyone will be able to help you, but i dont want to give bad advice w/ out looking :smile:

--------------------
~*~I'm also an educated guesser, and knowledge seeker :smile: If I haven't done it, I know someone who has. IF I don't know, I know someone who does! I am a realist so deal with it, if you don't like it you can choose to not read it!

Offline19741974
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #5886792 - 07/22/06 05:54 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Well my pic's suck because my cam is acaually a dv rec. with a low resolution cam. but here are some pic's.

the areas where the myc was thinner now kind of look like clear wet rubber cement mixed with the thin myc. like it flattend it out and got gooy. i barely misted it. between the two trays i probably misted a teaspoon full of water if that.

Edited by 19741974 (07/22/06 05:59 AM)

Invisiblemalarki
Female User Gallery

#5886805 - 07/22/06 05:56 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

They look happy and healthy. You are prob seeing myc piss drying out b/c your casings were dry. Kepp misting so you just see water drops startingto form. The verm on top will soak it up and the myc will to, It just takes longer. Make sure that there is no standing water b/c that will lead to contams. :smile:

Good job! they really do look great

:headbanger:

--------------------

Offline19741974
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #5886820 - 07/22/06 06:03 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

o.k i'll take your word. i did notice that the day or so, a layer of very chalky white myc was appearing in the valleys of the casing. a little differnt than the initial myc that popped up witch is what you see the most in that pic. Thanx for the help indeed.

Invisiblemalarki
Female User Gallery

#5886828 - 07/22/06 06:09 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

NO prob :smile: is this ur first casing?...

Genrally:
If you water a cake that isn't spent (still substrate left that isnt consumed)
Expose to light to initiat pinning (knotting first- thick myc that starts to form more in one spot than others)
Keep it moist but not standing water or puddling on top of verm. then you wont have:
Don have "grey" looking myc (cobweb) or dark spots that rub off w/ a q tip (bruising wont rub off, yet sometimes looks like green mold)
And it will grow. I had EQ cakes 1 month old and dried out that i put into a tubberware bin w/ a cub of water and it fruited large mushys w/ out a prob, and have had contamed casings grown none contamed mushy's. Also remember what you might see as failure now is always a lesson learned in the future.

Just be patient :smile: GOOD LUCK!

--------------------

Offline19741974
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #5886854 - 07/22/06 06:24 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Yea the some of the myc did turn sort of a light grey color right after i misted them. only the myc the is the thin see through type, witch is the first kind that grew up. that kind sort of slowed after i dropped the temp gave light, and fresh air and the new stuff is thick and runs all over like roads. is that the more important kind? i of course i know it's all the same really. thanx again.

Invisiblemalarki
Female User Gallery

#5886861 - 07/22/06 06:32 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

You want the temp at 74 degrees and it helps if you dont mess w/ your FC to much. Keeping temps and rh constant allows faster fruiting, IF they turned after u mist its prob just catching the light. If it was cob web you would mostlikely know it know it (strong myc growth is somtimes mistaken for cobweb with beginners). This was from last night.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rue#Post5885166
Doesnt look like cobweb to me. Keep an eye on it. IF you are overly convinced it's cob web a light mist of h202 mix will do it in really good. IT's easy to kill.  This myc that looks like white icing thats fluffy.. And bumpy? ITs knotting.. should be pinning in about 24 hrs or so if everything is constant. This means you are doing everything right! DOnt worry :smile:
My pleasure

--------------------

Edited by malarki (07/22/06 06:35 AM)

Offline19741974
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #5886867 - 07/22/06 06:39 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Now you got me thinking. 1 or 2 days after in cased myc was allready poping up. and it was about 4 or 5 nickle and dime sized patches and those were the spots i patched, then 2 days later more came up and that's the stuuf that's been there sinse i first came through the casing layer, that did look like cobweb. can you show me a pick of what cobweb looks like i'm not sure what that is. thanx malarki. oh, i do use a mix of peroxide and disttiled water at a ratio of 10 to 1 . temp flucuates between 74 and 77. is 77 too high?

Edited by 19741974 (07/22/06 06:42 AM)

Invisiblemalarki
Female User Gallery

#5886872 - 07/22/06 06:45 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/index.php/par/23418

this is strong myc growth. Is this what you patched? How did you patch?

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rue#Post5318149

--------------------

Invisiblemalarki
Female User Gallery

#5886874 - 07/22/06 06:46 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Tips for site navigation. When you go to my home, you can search through the posts. Usually a key word will bring you to some various answers :smile:

--------------------

Invisiblemalarki
Female User Gallery

#5886875 - 07/22/06 06:47 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Dont patch over mold, you have to kill it. not cover it or it can spread. Temp is good. sorry i didnt read the whole thing

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #5886879 - 07/22/06 06:58 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Your RH should be very high at this time (during pinning) 95-98% will help tremendously in keeping the casings moisture stabilized. This not a problem when using peat based casings. If your using coir based casings remember you'll want it at least 60% verm and 70% is even better but coir will never replace a peat based casings advantanges. GL

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offline19741974
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: misting casing possibbly going wrong [Re: hyphae]
    #5886890 - 07/22/06 07:07 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Well i know now it's not cobweb. but the first myc i patched wasn't as thick as the syuff that i just stared getting 2 days ago witch is the real white stuff in the valley's of the casing. i guess a good way to say it would be the first stuff that came up, came up in allmost round nickle sized payches that were thinner and less dense and now i'm getting roadways of think chalk white stuff. but it's diffenatly not cob web. Thanx man. i was about ready to go off the deep end. i'll just chill out and force my self not to look at them every 5 min.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #5886901 - 07/22/06 07:26 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

> oh, i do use a mix of peroxide and disttiled water at a ratio of 10 to 1.

That's why it's grayish then. Peroxide stunts growth and turns the myc grayish.

I would avoid peroxide unless you really need it.

-FF

Offline19741974
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #5886903 - 07/22/06 07:27 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Now that i think about it my casing my be too thick it's accually about 1/2 inch thick and the substrate layer was only about 1 1/4 inch. so i might have put it in FC too quick. beacause i thought that myc that was growning was the good stuff, but it was just some thin myc that made up that far that quick.

Is it possible that i can stop giving it fresh air, turn off the light,
and rise the temp a little for a day or 2 while still in the FC. just to let the myc cover a little more? or should i just let i grow? I have seen pic's where the shrooms were ready to be havested and even at that point there was nothing but casing at the base with no myc. like the shrooms grew right up through the casing before there was any myc coverage.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #5886907 - 07/22/06 07:33 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

It's fine, just let it go. You don't want the myc any thicker than that.

-FF

Offline19741974
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: misting casing possibbly going wrong [Re: fastfred]
    #5889576 - 07/23/06 01:59 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

this is to malarki. i've misted four times since i last heard from you. very lightly though. i know it's better to mist more frequently but a less amount each time. But my casing keeps getting dryer looking. and the new myc looks good comming up but still worried about the bigger round patches that look grey. it looks like around the edges of the grey myc, the really white myc is trying to grow into it but can't because it's too wet. but not really puddling. this is crazy. i don't know how one would keep the casing moist without hurting of getting the myc wet witch is exactly what happend. i hope it don't turn to mold. Please reply when you see this. Thanx. This is what it really looks like. like grey spots with chalk white myc surrounding them like a ring around the patches.

Edited by 19741974 (07/23/06 02:02 AM)

Invisibleliamtheloser
Advanced Idiot
Male User Gallery
    #5889611 - 07/23/06 02:20 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

use a 1:5 peroxide solution in your mister if you want to kill those contams. If it's cobweb, you can use pure peroxide and actually watch it dissolve the mold. If it turns green soon, then cut that area out and patch. I use a 1:10 peroxide mix when misting my casings regardless of contams or not, the mushroom myc seems to get used to the peroxide after a little bit...

--------------------

Offline19741974
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: misting casing possibbly going wrong [Re: liamtheloser]
    #5889628 - 07/23/06 02:33 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I do use peroxide. i was also told that peroxide stunts growth and that that's what makes it turn grayish. i don't think it's mold because the myc turned gray right after i misted it 2 days ago. i don't think that the myc will continue to grown in those patches. it's trying to but theres just rings around them. they won't fill in. can i put a small layer of casing on the whole thing. and then just water the hell out of it. i don't care if i delay it a little. but i got to get it moist before it gets to the point where it won't even absorb water. my RH is at 99% and temp at 76 degrees. i probably should have been misting just after i cased for the first 4 days or so i only did it once before i put it in the FC. but it looked good then and i did'nt want to overwater. but i guess i was underwatering for those first 4 or 5 days. thanx

Offline19741974
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #5889645 - 07/23/06 02:44 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Oh, and from the pic's i posted most of what you see ther is acually the grey stuff the cam makes it look whiter. if you look close the real white suff is thoes very small dots. the real white stuff is getting bigger but it stays away from the gray stuff or just puts rings around them. and misting with water/peroxide just makes them more grey even though there not puddled.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #5889835 - 07/23/06 07:35 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I've always recommended do not use peroxide unless contams are suspected becuase it does retard growth and will harm developing primordia and thats a fact! Congrads on your white dots (primordia)!

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags