Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecapliberty
Stranger
 User Gallery

finding shrooms in pacific northwest
    #5884267 - 07/21/06 12:03 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I'm wanting to find were the cyanescens are at in the pacific northwest this fall

I know nobody is going to let me in on their secret spot where they go pick rack up on some nice cyanescens

but I was wonder what type area or habit I'd be looking for to locate them myself, I know they like wood bark or something to that degree,

if anyone can give me tips on what look for, I could give some useful tips on locating a few liberty caps, which I find better in quality than regular cubensis

anyways not asking for your secret spot but just some helpful habitat advice

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Trusted Identifier
Re: finding shrooms in pacific northwest [Re: capliberty]
    #5884325 - 07/21/06 12:29 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Looking at the finds on here helps give a better idea of the habitat.
Assuming you already looked at some resources and descriptions of those species. You should be able to bring up old posts with pictures of finds in the habitat by using search posts.

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

OfflineRogerRabbitV
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
    #5884327 - 07/21/06 12:30 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

They'll be widely distributed all over the Seattle area.  I've never yet found any in the forest.  Look in landscaped areas around grocery stores, especially in those medians in parking lots where they have a street light and some bushes with wood chip or bark mulch.  Look for Rhododendrons bushes.  They seem to be an indicator species for cyanescens, and they will often be around their bases.

Most fast food places have bark around their landscaping, but the workers in those same fast food places also hunt, so you have to be fast.  Libraries and especially around churches is also good, probably because church people rarely hunt, and some folks have a hard time getting that close to a church. :laugh:

Wait until the weather has been cold for a couple of weeks and the rains have started, but before a hard freeze, then look on foot. If you'll spend an afternoon walking the sidewalks checking on any public area that has landscaping, you're almost guaranteed to find them.  I'm sure mj will be along with some tips if he sees this.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: finding shrooms in pacific northwest [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5884520 - 07/21/06 01:53 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Avoid all red bark-mulch beds. They won't grow there. They like Alder mulch or branches and you won't find them in the forest.

for about five hundred images see:

http://www.mushroomjohn.com/psilocybecyanescens1.htm

and have a shroomy day

Idf you are in Seattle then an hour to three hour walk in any direction after October most likely you will find some.

mj

buy Magic mushrooms of the Pacific Northwest and that should help you out emmensely

Offlinecapliberty
Stranger
 User Gallery

#5884553 - 07/21/06 02:05 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah thats right on man, I was looking for something like that, so their basically like blue ringers, except the rhododendron bush aspect,

I'm wondering are they more on old lawns or newer ones, because they pesticide the lawns and kill all the shrooms,

maybe new developments that put fresh lawns down, how about schools?

well as far as libertys you have to go off the beaten path, usually when you start hitting the outskirts, towards the mountainous areas, usually there are rest spots or wide spots where people pull over, next to the woods, and sometimes its the hunting grounds, and you want too look for tall grass, and look in between the grass and you'll see liberty bell shaped caps, they'll be some fakers, but you can get a spore print,they usually have a film when seperate the cap gills, but its kind hard to explain without getting really specfic on actual locations, but there u go

thx mj for that extra bit

Edited by capliberty (07/21/06 02:16 PM)

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #5884860 - 07/21/06 03:38 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

They only appear in lawns once in a while whent he woodchipped areas are hit byu lawn mowers which carry spores into dfreshly fertilized newer lawns in the area of the mulch.

And no they are not like blue ringers at all. They have no ring.

Blue ringers, which appear in lawns, also appear in woodchips and bark mulch, again main comprised of mixtures of alder and otehr similar hardwoods.

ITs time for you to read some of the data posted in the FAQS

mj

Invisiblepsiclops
# 1
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: finding shrooms in pacific northwest [Re: mjshroomer]
    #5885989 - 07/21/06 10:26 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Hey, MJ, that link didn't work for me.

It might just be my browser or firewall of some shit.

OfflineClammyJoe
Azurescen Head
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: finding shrooms in pacific northwest [Re: mjshroomer]
    #5886034 - 07/21/06 10:38 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

indeed, if you're going to be hunting mushrooms you need to be in the know, and the only way to do that is read, read, read.

MJ's site helped me immensely when I went in search of my azurescens. I knew on the spot wether or not I had what I was looking for, despite the area being plauged with "look-a-likes"

OfflineRogerRabbitV
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Re: finding shrooms in pacific northwest [Re: ClammyJoe]
    #5886066 - 07/21/06 10:46 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Azurescens look alikes in the dune grasses on the coast?
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineClammyJoe
Azurescen Head
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #5886210 - 07/22/06 12:04 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, I'd say they are close enough to throw off someone unexperienced, At a glace they appear to be azures, but upon inspection they have a more orangish underside and stem. I could see some kid going out there and making a mistake. I know that I've made the mistake 3-4 times while picking, and having to inspect it closely.

The thing is where I go hunting is a pretty diverse little place in itself, during winter and early spring the dunes flood with water from the rains and pretty much become a pond, which amphibians seem to love, and then when summer comes around it dries out and stays that way into fall. These "look-a-likes" seem to grow near and in the areas where the dunes were flooded, while the Azurescens grow a few feet above the water line.

Edited by TheMadConductor (07/22/06 12:07 AM)

Offlinecapliberty
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: finding shrooms in pacific northwest [Re: ClammyJoe]
    #5886418 - 07/22/06 01:38 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

OK landscaped areas around grocery stores, parking lots, rhododendron bushes, near street lights, fast food restaurants, churches,

not in red bark mulch beds, or forests, but in alder mulch and in branches, not really in lawns, and they like wood chips right? whats the differences in the mulch? any other ideas of good spots? are maps helpful? how about night vision? now I'm just b.s.'n

I'm starting to get the drift of what they like though, I'm going to be a shroom hunting expert for sure, I can't wait until October,

yeah I'll search this forum, try to find that book, and locate some pics, and read up on all the information such as habitat and indentification,

I'd like to get some of those Baeos and Azures too, but I think I'll just focus on Cyanescens at this point with my usual Liberties, Oh yeah and some Blue ringers

does anybody know about repropagating the areas that u pick from, is that possible?, or having a semi seasonal outdoor operation to keep them plentiful..

and much appreciation for the advice again, and if you have any questions on Libs, let me know,

Edited by capliberty (07/22/06 02:17 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate