Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Universal health care plan approved in San Francisco
    #5875439 - 07/18/06 09:30 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Universal health care plan approved in San Francisco

By LISA LEFF

The Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO

The San Francisco Board of Supervisors voted unanimously Tuesday to make the city the nation's first to provide all residents with health care, approving a plan that would give adults access to medical services regardless of their immigration or employment status.

Financed by local government, mandatory contributions from employers and income-adjusted premiums, the universal care plan would cover the cost of everything from checkups, prescription drugs and X-rays to ambulance rides, blood tests and operations.

Unlike health insurance, however, it would not pay for any services participants seek outside San Francisco. Instead, residents would receive care at existing clinics and public hospitals and from doctors who already participate in an HMO for low- and middle-income clients.

With backing from both Mayor Gavin Newsom and all 11 supervisors, the so-called Health Access Plan proved to be a politically popular concept in liberal San Francisco despite unmitigated opposition from the business community.

"What feels very good is the full board and the mayor getting on board," said Supervisor Tom Ammiano, who first championed the idea of making employers pay for some part of their workers' medical costs. "That says the political will is there to make it happen."

To offset the estimated annual price tag of $200 million, firms with 20 or more workers would be required to spend $1.06 for each hour worked by an employee, and those with more than 100 workers would have to pay $1.60 per hour up to a monthly maximum of $180 per worker. Companies that already offer health coverage would still have to pay if their insurance contributions did not meet the city's funding levels.

The Board of Supervisors still needs to vote on the plan once more for it to become final. The ordinance adopted Tuesday calls for businesses with more than 50 employees to start participating starting next July, while it would take effect for enterprises with 20 or more workers in April 2008.

Michael O'Connor, a nightclub owner who serves on the San Francisco Small Business Commission, predicted that the "noble burden" of the mandate would keep businesses from locating in the city and make goods and services here more expensive as employers pass on the costs to customers.

O'Connor said many business owners were disappointed by Newsom's backing of the plan since the mayor got his start in business as the owner of a wine shop and several restaurants.

"One would think that someone who has owned and opened restaurants would be pretty clear on what the profit margin is, and how hard it is to get them open. A $5,000 licensing fee is difficult. A new $60,000 (health care) fee is disabling," he said.

Before the board vote, Newsom defended the proposal as a creative solution to the problem of securing decent health care for uninsured residents, noting that businesses would not be alone in defraying the costs. Of the $200 million, the city would provide $104 million and participants would contribute about $56 million.

"This is a moral debate as much as a political debate," Newsom said.

The initiative adopted Tuesday developed as a compromise between Newsom and Ammiano, who last year introduced legislation that would have required businesses to create health savings accounts for uninsured workers. In a nod to concerns from business, the final plan requires employees to work at least 12 hours a week to be eligible and has an opt-out provision for workers who are insured through their spouses.

Because fees would be adjusted on a sliding scale, city officials did not expect to see a rush of residents canceling their existing health insurance to take part in the city program.

Published: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 17:21 PDT
http://www.pe.com/ap_news/California2/CA_Universal_Health_Care_245707CA.shtml

These fucking idiots...I cant wait to watch this mess.

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFlop Johnson
Praise Skatballah
Male

Loc: TX
Re: Universal health care plan approved in San Francisco [Re: lonestar2004]
    #5875469 - 07/18/06 09:37 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

It's all fun and games until you realize it isn't free!

Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
Re: Universal health care plan approved in San Francisco [Re: Flop Johnson]
    #5875708 - 07/18/06 10:29 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MoeRon said:
It's all fun and games until you realize it isn't free!

or until you realize you are dirt poor.

--------------------

http://www.myspace.com/4th25

"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
    #5875822 - 07/18/06 11:03 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

These fucking idiots...I cant wait to watch this mess.

This is going to hurt SanFancisco in the long run. It will also lead to fewer hours for employees and harsh working conditions as employeers expect more from the employee in less time. The biggest problem will be more and more employees working off the books. Id expect to see allot more people doing this in the future.

They must have snuck this one in under the radar and voted on it quick.

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Re: Universal health care plan approved in San Francisco [Re: downforpot]
    #5875832 - 07/18/06 11:06 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Or until you realize that your paying much more for EVERYTHING than you did last year..

Prices are going to have to go up in restaurants and even services. Passing the cost of the failed health care system onto small businesses just isnt the answer. Its a lose lose situation.

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
Re: Universal health care plan approved in San Francisco [Re: GabbaDj]
    #5876090 - 07/19/06 12:03 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Well, cross san francisco off the list of places to go.

Ass, San Franciscoian for vagina.

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Re: Universal health care plan approved in San Francisco [Re: d33p]
    #5876247 - 07/19/06 01:07 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Well, cross san francisco off the list of places to go.

Huh... I wonder if they ever thought how this might effect tourism?

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #5877186 - 07/19/06 10:40 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

god forbid poor people without insurance should be able to get healthcare

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
Re: Universal health care plan approved in San Francisco [Re: OJK]
    #5877218 - 07/19/06 10:50 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Odiumjunkie said:
god forbid poor people without insurance should be able to get healthcare

If only it were that simple.

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

InvisibleAlex213
Stranger
    #5877238 - 07/19/06 10:56 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

God bless San Francisco.

Hey, so the boss might have to make do with a 25% payrise and just the 60 foot yacht this year. Fuck him, he'll scrape through somehow  :laugh:

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Universal health care plan approved in San Francisco [Re: Alex213]
    #5877248 - 07/19/06 10:57 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Actually, the boss will still get whatever pay raise and yacht he was going to get. The costs will be passed down to consumers in the form of higher prices.

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

#5877256 - 07/19/06 11:00 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Alex213 said:
God bless San Francisco.

Hey, so the boss might have to make do with a 25% payrise and just the 60 foot yacht this year. Fuck him, he'll scrape through somehow  :laugh:

"To offset the estimated annual price tag of $200 million, firms with 20 or more workers would be required to spend $1.06 for each hour worked by an employee, and those with more than 100 workers would have to pay $1.60 per hour up to a monthly maximum of $180 per worker. "

If I had a San Francisco business with 21 employees, two of my workers are going to lose their jobs tomorrow.

Fuck them. They'll scrape by somehow.

This is the "Law of Unintended Consequences"...

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinesnoopaloop53
No BetterFriend. NoWorse Friend.

#5877270 - 07/19/06 11:05 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

lonestar2004 said:
To offset the estimated annual price tag of $200 million, firms with 20 or more workers would be required to spend $1.06 for each hour worked by an employee, and those with more than 100 workers would have to pay $1.60 per hour up to a monthly maximum of $180 per worker. Companies that already offer health coverage would still have to pay if their insurance contributions did not meet the city's funding levels.

More punishment for being successful, if you've worked hard to create a large company now you have to pay for other people's healthcare too. If I had a company in San Fransisco and didn't want to shut it down and move it somewhere else, I would tell my employees that I could no longer afford to maintain a health insurance benefit package. Then let them have to deal with socialized medicine so then they would go to the politicians and show them how stupid they are.

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

Re: Universal health care plan approved in San Francisco [Re: snoopaloop53]
    #5877278 - 07/19/06 11:07 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Who's the idiot that came up with the 200 million price tag. Seems low.

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Edited by lonestar2004 (07/19/06 11:08 AM)

InvisibleAlex213
Stranger
    #5877281 - 07/19/06 11:08 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

lonestar2004 said:
Quote:

Alex213 said:
God bless San Francisco.

"To offset the estimated annual price tag of $200 million, firms with 20 or more workers would be required to spend $1.06 for each hour worked by an employee, and those with more than 100 workers would have to pay $1.60 per hour up to a monthly maximum of $180 per worker. "

If I had a San Francisco business with 21 employees, two of my workers are going to lose their jobs tomorrow.

Fuck them. They'll scrape by somehow.

This is the "Law of Unintended Consequences"...

At $180 a month? The manager probably blows more than that at the lapdancing club every week.

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

#5877291 - 07/19/06 11:10 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

:smirk:

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

InvisibleAlex213
Stranger
    #5877300 - 07/19/06 11:11 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

More punishment for being successful

Or punishment for not being fair to the poor bastards who actually make your money for you.

You can't just expect people to work like slaves for your benefit. You sometimes have to give a little back too.

Offlinesnoopaloop53
No BetterFriend. NoWorse Friend.

#5877344 - 07/19/06 11:25 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Alex213 said:
More punishment for being successful

Or punishment for not being fair to the poor bastards who actually make your money for you.

You can't just expect people to work like slaves for your benefit. You sometimes have to give a little back too.

If you're working them like slaves, then they probably aren't going to work for you for very long. The entire point of having a company is to make money. It isn't giving back, it's taking from those who have earned and giving it to those who haven't earned. San Fransisco is trying to make the companies there charities. If you don't think you are being treatd fairly renegotiate your working conditions and that sometimes means leaving.

InvisibleAlex213
Stranger
    #5877381 - 07/19/06 11:34 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

The entire point of having a company is to make money.

For who?

The director doesn't hire people for the fun of it. He hires them because he can't make money on his own. Why shouldn't the people he hires take a decent share of the money being made?

If you don't think you are being treatd fairly renegotiate your working conditions and that sometimes means leaving.

I don't think basic healthcare is such an outlandish idea. You're making money off the backs of these people. Expect to pay a little back instead of simply spending everything on your holiday home in Barbados.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #5877496 - 07/19/06 12:05 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Who's the idiot that came up with the 200 million price tag. Seems low.

Well, there are more than three quarters of a million people officially living in San Francisco. So as long as the medical costs per resident remain around $250 each, no problem.

I don't know about you, but I require less than $250 in medical care each year, if the cost of prescription and non prescription meds is excluded and dental treatment and eye exams and glasses are not considered medical treatment.

What's the medical costs of giving birth in San Francisco, though? Couple thousand bucks, maybe? Say there is a birth rate of 10 per 1,000 a year in San Francisco (I have no idea how many children are born in SF each year but I deliberately lowballed it since there are so many gays in SF -- China's national birthrate which is the lowest in the world is 13.6 per 1,000) that would be 7,500 x $2,500 which would eat up about ten per cent of the 200 million figure mentioned.

I have no kids myself so I have no idea if total medical costs per birth are more than $2,500, though. By the time you add up all the prenatal exams and the actual birth itself, I can't see it coming to any less than that but for all I know it could be double that amount. Any parents here?

Phred

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale