Home | Community | Message Board


Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery

Registered: 06/14/04
Posts: 1,476
Loc: Dearborn Michigan
Last seen: 3 days, 19 hours
Re: Britain bakes as global warming kicks in [Re: Catalysis]
    #5878486 - 07/19/06 07:17 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

A short term tempter rise nether proves nor disproves global warming.

Cum hoc ergo propter hoc (with this, therefore because of this). This is the familiar fallacy of mistaking correlation for causation -- i.e., thinking that because two things occur simultaneously, one must be a cause of the other.

Oh and quit complaining, it is 110 here.


Edited by Cyber (07/19/06 07:19 PM)


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Registered: 01/01/05
Posts: 23,576
Loc: The Barricades
Re: Britain bakes as global warming kicks in [Re: Cyber]
    #5878496 - 07/19/06 07:21 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Cyber said:
A short term tempter rise nether proves nor disproves global warming.



Long term temperature rises, on the other hand...



--------------------


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery

Registered: 06/14/04
Posts: 1,476
Loc: Dearborn Michigan
Last seen: 3 days, 19 hours
Re: Britain bakes as global warming kicks in [Re: Silversoul]
    #5878589 - 07/19/06 07:51 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

A tempter chart showing a rise in the tempter after the little ice age is not helpful.

Would you mind citing where that chart was taken from?


The real issue is that the global warming theory has only some corroborating evidence. When evidence is found that is not in line with the theory, it is dismissed. This is pseudo science, a theory should be adjusted to fit the facts, not the facts adjusted to fit the theory.

In the 1960-1970's it was the coming ICE Age.
In the 1980-1990's it was the end of the world from global warming in 10 years.
In the 1990-2000's it was Y2K is going to kill us all and Global warming in the next 25 years.
In the 2000-2006 it has been Global warming in the next 500 years (Most scientists) and the news proclaiming "Global Warming is HERE!"


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBasilides
Servent ofWisdom
Male User Gallery

Registered: 02/10/06
Posts: 7,059
Loc: Crown and Heart
Last seen: 9 years, 8 months
Re: Britain bakes as global warming kicks in [Re: Cyber]
    #5878602 - 07/19/06 07:56 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I'll be glad when this planet runs dry of fossil fuels. I always smile when I see the gas prices just went up. Don't hurt me any, I'm a commuter


--------------------


"Have you found the beginning, then, that you are looking for the end? You see, the end will be where the beginning is. Congratulations to the one who stands at the beginning: that one will know the end and will not taste death."


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Registered: 04/27/01
Posts: 23,480
Loc: Caribbean
Last seen: 3 months, 18 days
Re: Britain bakes as global warming kicks in [Re: Cyber]
    #5880375 - 07/20/06 06:48 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

> A tempter chart showing a rise in the tempter after the little ice age is not helpful.

Yes, but the graph shows how much hotter it is getting because of global warming. This is proof! Just look at the graph. Even a child can see it is getting hotter.

> The real issue is that the global warming theory has only some corroborating evidence.

Who needs evidence!? It is hot out!!! Go outside. If you don't agree that it is hotter today than it was yesterday, then something is wrong. How can you claim that there is no evidence when you can feel how hot it is everytime you walk outside?

> This is pseudo science

No, this is real science. Even people like Al Gore say it is real science, and Al should know! He was vice president and helped bring society out of caves and into the digital age.

(The above is sarcasm for the sarcastically impaired...)

> always smile when I see the gas prices just went up. Don't hurt me any, I'm a commuter

A very shallow view. Do you use plastic? Do you eat food other than what you grow? Do you wear clothes other than those you sew yourself from the cloth you weave yourself from the plant fibers that you grow and collect yourself? Do you have electricity in your home? The list goes on and on and on and... Unless you are Amish, you use oil, even if you don't drive.


--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Registered: 04/27/01
Posts: 7,336
Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Last seen: 23 hours, 47 minutes
Re: Britain bakes as global warming kicks in [Re: Cyber]
    #5880426 - 07/20/06 07:46 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Cyber said: Cum hoc ergo propter hoc (with this, therefore because of this). This is the familiar fallacy of mistaking correlation for causation -- i.e., thinking that because two things occur simultaneously, one must be a cause of the other.





Quote:

Cyber said:
In the 1960-1970's it was the coming ICE Age.
In the 1980-1990's it was the end of the world from global warming in 10 years.
In the 1990-2000's it was Y2K is going to kill us all and Global warming in the next 25 years.
In the 2000-2006 it has been Global warming in the next 500 years (Most scientists) and the news proclaiming "Global Warming is HERE!"




Lol. You're shooting yourself in the feet ... So, just because none of that has happened, there will be no real global warming ? Yeap, no prob, let's just keep burning more and more our planet resources. This global warming stuff is the same as any unfulfilled prophecy, it will never happen ... :tongue:

Look around you, it's happening  :crazy:

MAIA


--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala



Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery

Registered: 06/14/04
Posts: 1,476
Loc: Dearborn Michigan
Last seen: 3 days, 19 hours
Re: Britain bakes as global warming kicks in [Re: MAIA]
    #5880445 - 07/20/06 08:05 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

MAIA said:
Quote:

Cyber said: Cum hoc ergo propter hoc (with this, therefore because of this). This is the familiar fallacy of mistaking correlation for causation -- i.e., thinking that because two things occur simultaneously, one must be a cause of the other.





Quote:

Cyber said:
In the 1960-1970's it was the coming ICE Age.
In the 1980-1990's it was the end of the world from global warming in 10 years.
In the 1990-2000's it was Y2K is going to kill us all and Global warming in the next 25 years.
In the 2000-2006 it has been Global warming in the next 500 years (Most scientists) and the news proclaiming "Global Warming is HERE!"




Lol. You're shooting yourself in the feet ... So, just because none of that has happened, there will be no real global warming ? Yeap, no prob, let's just keep burning more and more our planet resources. This global warming stuff is the same as any unfulfilled prophecy, it will never happen ... :tongue:

Look around you, it's happening  :crazy:

MAIA




MAIA

I was giving examples of how the belief has gone over the last several decades. I do not discount global warming, as I have stated, There is some evidence but the global warming crowed is more interested in fear mongering than science.

There is lots of evidence that the sun has more to do with the heat than the car you drive.

There are glaring inaccuracies in the data. An example would be comparisons of despondent tempter collection types and the fact that the tempter collection data comes mainly from industrialized nations who by far have more concrete than non-industrialized nations.

The list goes on. I may post more on this tonight when I get off work.

Global warming has become a religion for some. Replace God with scientists and Revelations with Global warming.

Repent and change your evil ways for the end is nigh!


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAlex213
Stranger
Registered: 08/22/05
Posts: 1,839
Re: Britain bakes as global warming kicks in [Re: Cyber]
    #5880592 - 07/20/06 09:41 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

There is some evidence but the global warming crowed is more interested in fear mongering than science.


By "global warming crowd" presumably you mean pretty much every scientist who isn't funded by the oil companies.

Global warming has become a religion for some. Replace God with scientists and Revelations with Global warming.


Nah. 20 years ago you might have said this. Now the evidence is so utterly overwhelming that the oil companies are having to pay scientists to get any to agree with them.


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Registered: 01/01/05
Posts: 23,576
Loc: The Barricades
Re: Britain bakes as global warming kicks in [Re: Cyber]
    #5880793 - 07/20/06 11:36 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Just to clear things up: NO credible scientist today actually denies that global warming is occurring. The evidence for that is far too compelling. The controversy is over what is causing it, how severe it's going to be, and what the effects will be. As for the first point of controversy, the skeptics on that point are becoming fewer and fewer as well, as the warming trends are clearly more extreme than the earth's natural warming and cooling cycle. In fact, according to the cycle, we should be in the cooling stage right now, which is why earlier in the century, people were predicting the next ice age.

BTW, 1860 was about a century after the little ice age ended.


--------------------


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Registered: 10/03/04
Posts: 8,978
Loc: South Texas
Last seen: 9 years, 10 months
Re: Britain bakes as global warming kicks in [Re: Silversoul]
    #5880802 - 07/20/06 11:42 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Silversoul said:
the warming trends are clearly more extreme than the earth's natural warming and cooling cycle.





Do you have a link for that? I would love to see the warming and cooling trends for the last Billion years or so.


--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Registered: 01/01/05
Posts: 23,576
Loc: The Barricades
Re: Britain bakes as global warming kicks in [Re: lonestar2004]
    #5880812 - 07/20/06 11:45 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

lonestar2004 said:
Do you have a link for that? I would love to see the warming and cooling trends for the last Billion years or so.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperature_record_of_the_past_1000_years

1000 years is the best I can do.


--------------------


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Registered: 10/03/04
Posts: 8,978
Loc: South Texas
Last seen: 9 years, 10 months
Re: Britain bakes as global warming kicks in [Re: Silversoul]
    #5880818 - 07/20/06 11:47 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Interesting Thank You.


--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Registered: 04/27/01
Posts: 23,480
Loc: Caribbean
Last seen: 3 months, 18 days
Re: Britain bakes as global warming kicks in [Re: Silversoul]
    #5883653 - 07/21/06 06:47 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

> In fact, according to the cycle, we should be in the cooling stage right now, which is why earlier in the century, people were predicting the next ice age.

Bzzzt... try again. I assume you are speaking of the glaciation cycle, which lasts approximately 100,000 years. Earth is still recovering from the previous glaciation period, which occurred only 20,000 years ago. (Source NASA)



Note: The y-axis of the graph is rate of change in temperature, not the actual temperature.

> NO credible scientist today actually denies that global warming is occurring.

I would be careful there. Most credible scientists use the words "climate change" rather than "global warming". Most fear mongers use "global warming" rather than "climate change". You can pretty much tell a fear monger from a real researcher based solely on which term they use. This is an observation I have noticed after following both the layman news and the scientific climate journals for the last few years.


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAlex213
Stranger
Registered: 08/22/05
Posts: 1,839
Re: Britain bakes as global warming kicks in [Re: Seuss]
    #5883789 - 07/21/06 09:26 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Surely the world is warming up at the moment tho? So why isn't it accurate to describe it as "global warming"?


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesnoopaloop53
No BetterFriend. NoWorse Friend.

Registered: 01/21/05
Posts: 311
Last seen: 9 years, 6 months
Re: Britain bakes as global warming kicks in [Re: Alex213]
    #5883850 - 07/21/06 10:14 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

it is accurate, however the term has been hijacked by the fear mongerers to rally support against the evil capitalists and corporations...climate change is what we have to use if you want to have an intelligent civilized discussion on the subject


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAlex213
Stranger
Registered: 08/22/05
Posts: 1,839
Re: Britain bakes as global warming kicks in [Re: snoopaloop53]
    #5884468 - 07/21/06 03:32 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

snoopaloop53 said:
it is accurate, however the term has been hijacked by the fear mongerers to rally support against the evil capitalists and corporations...climate change is what we have to use if you want to have an intelligent civilized discussion on the subject




The trouble is the corporations have a blatant self-interest in pumping as much pollution into the atmosphere as they possibly can and have absolutely no interest in anything but their short-term profit.


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Registered: 04/27/01
Posts: 23,480
Loc: Caribbean
Last seen: 3 months, 18 days
Re: Britain bakes as global warming kicks in [Re: Alex213]
    #5886742 - 07/22/06 07:31 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

> The trouble is the corporations have a blatant self-interest

You are claiming that since the corporations ruin the environment, it is fine for everybody else to ruin science in order to "prove" how bad the corporations are? Seems a bit hypocritical to me.


--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAlex213
Stranger
Registered: 08/22/05
Posts: 1,839
Re: Britain bakes as global warming kicks in [Re: Seuss]
    #5886762 - 07/22/06 07:39 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

No, I'm saying that without multi-billion dollar corporations and PR firms behind them the "global warming doesn't exist" rent-a-quotes would be taken as seriously as those who believe the earth is flat.


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Registered: 04/23/02
Posts: 1,742
Last seen: 12 years, 7 months
Re: Britain bakes as global warming kicks in [Re: Silversoul]
    #5886878 - 07/22/06 08:57 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Just to clear things up: NO credible scientist today actually denies that global warming is occurring.




Bullshit. Its just that scientists who question the multi-billion dollar global warming research industry are immediately attacked by those who profit from it, either through funding or politically.


By RICHARD LINDZEN, professor of atmospheric science, MIT

Quote:

So how is it that we don't have more scientists speaking up about this junk science? It's my belief that many scientists have been cowed not merely by money but by fear. An example: Earlier this year, Texas Rep. Joe Barton issued letters to paleoclimatologist Michael Mann and some of his co-authors seeking the details behind a taxpayer-funded analysis that claimed the 1990s were likely the warmest decade and 1998 the warmest year in the last millennium. Mr. Barton's concern was based on the fact that the IPCC had singled out Mr. Mann's work as a means to encourage policy makers to take action. And they did so before his work could be replicated and tested--a task made difficult because Mr. Mann, a key IPCC author, had refused to release the details for analysis. The scientific community's defense of Mr. Mann was, nonetheless, immediate and harsh. The president of the National Academy of Sciences--as well as the American Meteorological Society and the American Geophysical Union--formally protested, saying that Rep. Barton's singling out of a scientist's work smacked of intimidation.




All of which starkly contrasts to the silence of the scientific community when anti-alarmists were in the crosshairs of then-Sen. Al Gore. In 1992, he ran two congressional hearings during which he tried to bully dissenting scientists, including myself, into changing our views and supporting his climate alarmism. Nor did the scientific community complain when Mr. Gore, as vice president, tried to enlist Ted Koppel in a witch hunt to discredit anti-alarmist scientists--a request that Mr. Koppel deemed publicly inappropriate. And they were mum when subsequent articles and books by Ross Gelbspan libelously labeled scientists who differed with Mr. Gore as stooges of the fossil-fuel industry.




Sadly, this is only the tip of a non-melting iceberg. In Europe, Henk Tennekes was dismissed as research director of the Royal Dutch Meteorological Society after questioning the scientific underpinnings of global warming. Aksel Winn-Nielsen, former director of the U.N.'s World Meteorological Organization, was tarred by Bert Bolin, first head of the IPCC, as a tool of the coal industry for questioning climate alarmism. Respected Italian professors Alfonso Sutera and Antonio Speranza disappeared from the debate in 1991, apparently losing climate-research funding for raising questions.




Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAlex213
Stranger
Registered: 08/22/05
Posts: 1,839
Re: Britain bakes as global warming kicks in [Re: Catalysis]
    #5886964 - 07/22/06 10:35 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Richard Lindzen is notorious oil company stooge.

Global warming research is in the same state as Tobacco research. All sensible science said smoking was dangerous yet the corporations denied it for decades and produced their own funded research saying smoking was harmless.


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* A look at global warming.
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
luvdemshrooms 12,502 119 02/27/04 03:07 AM
by EchoVortex
* Global Warming: The Final Proof?
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
GazzBut 7,771 91 03/12/05 03:27 PM
by Psychoactive1984
* Global warming nothing but pretend communist conspiracy
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
question_for_joo 9,708 112 08/31/04 09:48 PM
by Gijith
* Good article on global warming.
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
luvdemshrooms 4,150 86 06/10/03 06:56 AM
by Innvertigo
* Global Warming, Facts Challenge Hysteria
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Evolving 4,256 75 05/04/03 10:07 PM
by luvdemshrooms
* Global Warming?
( 1 2 all )
luvdemshrooms 2,116 37 07/18/03 08:49 PM
by Innvertigo
* Surprise CO2 rise may speed up global warming
( 1 2 3 4 all )
GazzBut 4,769 67 10/12/04 01:56 PM
by Innvertigo
* Global Warming May Have More Current Affects than Previously Thought Ravus 626 4 01/16/05 11:53 AM
by greensnake316

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Enlil, ballsalsa
5,570 topic views. 0 members, 1 guests and 7 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Print Topic ]
Search this thread:
Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Copyright 1997-2021 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.075 seconds spending 0.012 seconds on 17 queries.