Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: glove box arm holes [Re: Tippinthru]
    #5877023 - 07/19/06 09:08 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

You guys are all missing the point totally. NOTHING inside a glovebox needs to be sterile except what comes into direct contact with your spawn. I've said for years that alcohol, Lysol, etc., need not be used to clean a glovebox. Soap and water is sufficient, unless you plan to dump your grains or brf onto the floor of the glovebox, in which case you have a lot of learning to do.

The problem working bare armed is that several thousand dead skin cells per hour fall off each arm. That is a fact of human metabolism. In fact, the overwhelming majority of 'dust' in a house or on the furniture is actually dead skin cells. If you work bare armed, those skin cells that flake off your arms now have a chance to fall by simple gravity into a jar or petri dish. With a freshly laundered long sleeved shirt, the shirt will catch the majority of those dead skin cells, thus protecting your project. The shirt does NOT need to be sterile, so please stop confusing the subject with this silly arguing.

I also have a box of a thousand tyvek wrist sleeves with elastic at both ends. As hyphae said, they're a better choice and I concur. However, most of you don't have those, so a long sleeved, fine weave shirt is the next best choice.

Remember, we as cultivators are the number one vector of contamination, so depending on what you're doing at the time, have a supply of latex gloves, hairnets, surgical(not dust) masks and alcohol, oust and soap and water. Iodine is excellent as a bactericide. Always wash your hands and arms, even if you wear gloves and a shirt or tyvek sleeves. Always brush your teeth and use mouthwash just before sterile work, and wash your hair in the shower you take just before beginning work, then use a hairnet in addition to that.

If people would just follow those simple things, their contamination problems would be reduced considerably.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: glove box arm holes [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5877048 - 07/19/06 09:28 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

> The problem working bare armed is that several thousand dead skin cells per hour fall off each arm.

Luckily they're dead though, so they won't take over the dish or culture you're working on.

I don't see why several thousand sterilized skin cells would be worse than a thousand non-sterile cloth fibers.

It really isn't that much of an issue anyway IMHO. If gloves that cover up to the wrists aren't good enough then you're already failing somewhere.

-FF

Offlineaccesstwo
Stranger
Re: glove box arm holes [Re: fastfred]
    #5877387 - 07/19/06 11:36 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

slow but direct movements are the best as they reduce the flow of air while getting things done quickly, only leave things open for as long as they need to be open eg lids. would putting a rack in a glove box help, as the dust will settle on the bottom under the jars and such, rather then around the jars?

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: glove box arm holes [Re: 0003]
    #5877411 - 07/19/06 11:41 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Still air GB doesn't mean there is no air currents as we move around, I will recommend always wiping down the inside of the box beforehand with chlorox wipes then mist the air down essentially scrubbing the air inside after everything placed in the GB is also wiped down with chlorox wipes, this is all part of our individual sterile culture technique and reducing exposure to mold spore counts is the number one consideration for success. Skin cells are of little concern and will have really no affect IME and besides only our hands should really be anywhere close to any openings if things are being done properly. Nice debate so far.

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: glove box arm holes [Re: accesstwo]
    #5877437 - 07/19/06 11:46 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

accesstwo said:
slow but direct movements are the best as they reduce the flow of air while getting things done quickly, only leave things open for as long as they need to be open eg lids. would putting a rack in a glove box help, as the dust will settle on the bottom under the jars and such, rather then around the jars?

Sterile culture technique has zero tolerance for dust there should be none in a GB. Theres none in mine except for the thousands of skin cells  falling off my arms :wink: sorry RR just had too :smirk: :blush:

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offline0003
squirtforfunandprofit
Female

Loc: new orleans Flag
Re: glove box arm holes [Re: hyphae]
    #5878327 - 07/19/06 04:28 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I like this debate. Roger, how do you acquire your tyvek sleeves? I am considering filling my glove box with smoke to monitor the airflow inside caused my normal arm movements. It would show if there are any strong currents.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #5878450 - 07/19/06 05:07 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Smoke will probably just smoke it up. Try a stick of insence. They produce a nice thin and easily visible streamer of smoke that doesn't smell foul.

-FF

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #5878506 - 07/19/06 05:25 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

0003 said:
I like this debate. Roger, how do you acquire your tyvek sleeves?

you can get painters cloths (coveralls) made of tyvek at home depot for about $5

InvisibleOmnicracker
Crusted Trolltivator

Loc: Wal-Merica
Trusted Cultivator
Re: glove box arm holes [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #5878526 - 07/19/06 05:29 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

badass! im getting one

--------------------

xxx..Learn Something..xxx

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: glove box arm holes [Re: Omnicracker]
    #5878539 - 07/19/06 05:35 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

goggles are a must for maximum geekiness

InvisibleOmnicracker
Crusted Trolltivator

Loc: Wal-Merica
Trusted Cultivator
    #5878554 - 07/19/06 05:40 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

always use protection

--------------------

xxx..Learn Something..xxx

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #5878587 - 07/19/06 05:51 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
goggles are a must for maximum geekiness

I wear trifocals because I'm old. Do they count?
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #5878623 - 07/19/06 06:02 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
Quote:

0003 said:
I like this debate. Roger, how do you acquire your tyvek sleeves?

you can get painters cloths (coveralls) made of tyvek at home depot for about $5

Just like looking in the mirror except that mine fits much tighter around the arms (especially the biceps) and chest as well as the legs  :tongue: :smirk: :thumbup:

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: glove box arm holes [Re: Omnicracker]
    #5878626 - 07/19/06 06:03 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Omnicracker said:
always use protection

my wife kept a stun gun under the pillow to prevent pregnancy... it usualy worked

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: glove box arm holes [Re: hyphae]
    #5878629 - 07/19/06 06:05 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

hyphae said:
Just like looking in the mirror except that mine fits much tighter around the arms (especially the biceps) and chest as well as the legs  :tongue: :smirk: :thumbup:

I had a roomie that borrowed my t-shirts to make him look more muscular  :smirk:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract