Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinefj0932jf02fjf2
Stranger
Bag Tek
    #5868089 - 07/17/06 03:20 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I've got a lot of cultivation help from internet and now I want to give something back so here it is my tek contribution. I call it the Bag Tek, since bags are pretty much what it is all about in this tek. I’ve only tried it with Golden Teacher, and for me it takes ~35 days from spore to first harvest, ~5 grams dried total yield. Notice, this tek is not about maximizing the yield. Its purpose is to keep the labour down and sidestep the use of syringes.

Bag Tek (In Short)
Boil 12 litres of water with 30 ml honey. Pour 1.5 dl of the fluid in a jar. Boil jar with honey water, with the lid on, for 1 hour. Let cool over night. Scrape down some spores. Shake jar vigorously. Place in darkness, 26-30C. Shake the jar on the second and maybe third day. When clouds of mycelia have formed, prepare the substrate by cooking 200 grams of un-popped popcorn 30 minutes, let the popcorn stay in cooking water over night, rinse with fresh water and then boil with again lid on for an additional 60 minutes. Put popcorn, while still warm, in big 5 litre plastic bag and mix with 2 dl vermiculite which you have had sterilized in the oven, add 0.5 dl boiling water. Close the bag, mix and shake material until all water is absorbed, and let cool over night. Open bag and using a sterilized fork transfer the mycelia to the bag. Close the bag, this time by putting a big cotton ball in the opening and closing the bag using a rubber band, keeping the cotton ball in place. By wrapping tinfoil around the bag, shape the substrate to a sphere. The tinfoil should protect the substrate from all light. Let the bag rest untouched in 26-30C, until 25% of the substrate has been colonized, then mix around the substrate to speed the colonization process. Reshape to a sphere and let rest again in same temperature. When 90% of substrate is colonized mix around the substrate and reshape to a square ~3 cm in height. When substrate is fully colonized, remove the tinfoil and expose the mycelia to light and 23-26C. Open bag when you feel like harvesting, then spray some H2O2-water, close bag, wait and harvest again. When you spray, make sure you do not drown the culture. Done!

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineShamrock
King of the Undead
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In Your Head Flag
Re: Bag Tek [Re: fj0932jf02fjf2]
    #5868115 - 07/17/06 03:39 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Wow. I think I'm going to try that.  :dancing:

Offlinefj0932jf02fjf2
Stranger
Re: Bag Tek [Re: Shamrock]
    #5868335 - 07/17/06 07:57 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Great :-). Do you know what strain you will be growing with?

InvisibleWIZOLZ
Poor with Needs
Male User Gallery

Loc: Monte Carlo
    #5868659 - 07/17/06 11:13 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Sounds alright to me, but why in heavens name, would you tranfer the LC mycelium with a FORK?! Man, get out the sryinge and just inject it. Though I think this tek is alright, It needs to be refined into a better workable procedure.

So, your boiling the kernals then to destroy bacteria, endospores, molds etc? Not for water absorption? Because I would think that by the time you added them into the bag they would be hydrated enough. Is adding that extra 0.5 dl necesary?

Edited by WIZOLZ (07/17/06 11:15 AM)

Offlinefj0932jf02fjf2
Stranger
Re: Bag Tek [Re: WIZOLZ]
    #5869132 - 07/17/06 02:14 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

WIZOLZ, a fork is a good thing to use if you are fishing for clouds of mycelia (spoons simply not do). You want that mycelia to be like slime, and drip it over the substrate. There is no reason to inject anything. Just let the mycelia grow into clouds, and it does that by it self. No need to go shaking the jar = less work. Hit the fork with a torch lighter and that's that. Everyone always have a fork, maybe not so with syringes. Also a big cloud of mycelia stay a good chance against contaminants since it makes for a quick colonization.

WIZOLZ, you are right boiling the kernals kills of some endospores and also the kernels are saturated. Adding 0.5dl water is necessary since you won't be spraying the substrate until after the first harvest.

I know for _sure_ that this Teks works. Its not the best Tek, but its requires almost no effort. Thats the point. No pressure cooking, no H2O2 (well not until after the first harvest), no syringes, and so on.

This isn't the only way of doing things, it's only an easy way of doing it. Maybe not the best cost efficient, but maybe the least labour intense?

I know for sure that you can complicate the Tek, but can you think of ways to make it even more simple? That's my goal here.

Right now I am exerimenting with adding coffe to the process, maybe this will speed up some things.

InvisibleTippinthru
contented

Loc: "The Garden"...
    #5869220 - 07/17/06 02:44 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

>>>>>>> a fork is a good thing to use if you are fishing for clouds of mycelia (spoons simply not do). You want that mycelia to be like slime, and drip it over the substrate. There is no reason to inject anything<<<<<<<

Fat chance.
You must be working in a clean room, with full regalia.

--------------------
Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time...
[

OfflineCapless
Student
 User Gallery

Re: Bag Tek [Re: Tippinthru]
    #5869338 - 07/17/06 03:26 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------
http://www.toolband.com/
"... This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality.
Embrace this moment. Remember, We are eternal.
all this pain is an illusion...."

Offlinefj0932jf02fjf2
Stranger
    #5869357 - 07/17/06 03:33 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Tippinthru, it takes more then a fork to kill of a well established mycelia. Not even a knife would cut it. My kitchen is not clean, and it doesn't need to be. I do not fancy regalia so I have none. I have 22C in my apartment and not living on the north pole either.

Something I am being carefull about is breathing while spores, mycelia or substrate are exposed. I can hold my breath for 2 minutes so that's not a problem. If you can not, then turn away from the open bags (or whatever) every time you breath out and take a new breath (I often do this, since it's a slight exageration that I can hold my breath for 2 minutes - that's just my personal record).

Once again, I have tested this Tek several times and made countless modifications in other to get the parameteres just right. When I developed this Tek I decided to think outside the bacteria phobic box and some other boxes as well, and simply try new things instead of old reliable things. I discovered as for an example that you could manage the mycelia with a fork without contamination problems. Sure bacteria get there, but it's no match for a well established mycelia you know...

I am glad that I posted this Tek here so that other cultivators might find out how easy it can be to grow mushrooms. It doesn't has to be hard - that's my point.

Invisiblemonstermitch
Growing in Bags Doesn't Work

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Arizona Bay Flag
    #5869364 - 07/17/06 03:36 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

mycelium grows so much faster than bacteria does.

sure.

:rolleyes:

--------------------

Offlinefj0932jf02fjf2
Stranger
    #5869369 - 07/17/06 03:37 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Capless, yes it certainly does! Haven't seen that thread though. Thanx!!! :laugh:

Offlinefj0932jf02fjf2
Stranger
    #5869384 - 07/17/06 03:46 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

monstermitch, how come mushrooms make it in the wild?

InvisibleTippinthru
contented

Loc: "The Garden"...
    #5869393 - 07/17/06 03:49 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

>>>>>it takes more then a fork to kill of a well established mycelia. Not even a knife would cut it. My kitchen is not clean, and it doesn't need to be. I do not fancy regalia so I have none. I have 22C in my apartment and not living on the north pole either.<<<<<

I'm not talking about KILLING the mycelium.

Every square foot of household air contains on average 100,000 invisible particulates. Many of which are contaminates. Odds are HIGH, doing as you suggest, will cause a few to come in contact with the mycelium "slime", which you are forking around.

A liquid cultures BIGGEST problem, is EXPOSURE to unfiltered air.

Once exposed, ODDS ARE HIGH, it will turn to fecal soup.

If any of the LC's below, were exposed to OPEN air (unless in a glove box), I would TOSS THEM.

--------------------
Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time...
[

Offlinefj0932jf02fjf2
Stranger
    #5869443 - 07/17/06 04:21 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Tippinthru, so when I say I do like this without any problem you do not believe me? Do you believe that I am lying?

OfflineEquilibriuM
dream stalker

#5869450 - 07/17/06 04:23 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

how many grows have you successfully completed using this method? how many have contammed?

--------------------
HELP!!!!!!!!!

Offlinefj0932jf02fjf2
Stranger
Re: Bag Tek [Re: EquilibriuM]
    #5869533 - 07/17/06 04:52 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

EquilibriuM, I've completed 10+ grows. Every time several bags, never less then 2 as far as I can remember. Sometimes the mycelia simply will not take hold after the move to the substrate. It is definately no so that all bags makes it through. I guess it would be that maybe 4/5 of the bags pulls through in general?????? I guess I loose 1 bag every time, and sometimes this is out of 7 bags, sometimes out of 2 bags. I guess I could make some more bags pull through if I cleaned my kitchen and gave some time for the air to settle, prior to handling the bags and so forth, but nha.... :-P. Also an important factor is that you should use drop a lot of mycelia in each bag, since that increases the chance for success. I use at least one full fork for each bag.

This is the reason for why I am not using more then 200gram popcorn in each bag. Under more sterile conditions I guess that you could make really big cultures in very big bags, but using this Tek that is kind of an unnecessary risk. As with stocks... spread the risk.

As I said before, this Tek is not about cost efficiency - it is about comfort and ease.

OfflineFrankieP57
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #23719943 - 10/08/16 05:59 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Wait... "Open the bag and harvest"? R you fruiting in this bag as well? And once you have the pop corn in the bag. Before you add LC to colonize, are you sterilizing the whole bag full of substrate as well. I'm just curious about sterilizing the bag. And when you add LC to colonize are u using a glove box. I'm just starting to soak my popcorn as we speak and I'm trying to think of how I'm going to do this. I'm going to try your method. Do I NEED, vermiculite? Cuz I was thinking about mixing a little brf with the kernels instead. What do I think?

Offlinemrmazdarx9
Pffffttt

Loc: behind you
Re: Bag Tek [Re: FrankieP57]
    #23719962 - 10/08/16 06:04 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Wait.....this thread is 10 years old
Read the date before replying
Also glove boxes belong in the past too
And the rest of what your saying shows you need to read a lot more

--------------------
COCA GROWERS come here and share your knowledge
COCA GROWERS UNITE
:penis:Click here for UK trades:penis:
:penis: need some supplies in the UK check Here or PM me:penis:
UK OTD uk members chat
UK supplies and trade OTD place to chat shit
Right Here
If you use "SWIM" you should DROWN

OfflineFrankieP57
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Bag Tek [Re: mrmazdarx9]
    #23720247 - 10/08/16 08:13 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Well what's up dude. Message me plz and let me know what's up with what I said. And what are you doing if not using a glove box. Help me out guy, so I dont have to waste a bunch of spore.

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Bag Tek [Re: FrankieP57]
    #23720264 - 10/08/16 08:20 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

FrankieP57 said:
Well what's up dude. Message me plz and let me know what's up with what I said. And what are you doing if not using a glove box. Help me out guy, so I dont have to waste a bunch of spore.

follow proven teks, use the search engine. it has an option to look for threads newer than 3-5 years so you don't find this old shit. try searching only in mushroom cultivation for main posts not all posts. and one result per thread. some obvious options to narrow down good results. then do some research, do people us these methods still, are they time tested and results proven. do people do well doing these methods, are they highly regarded etc...

alternatively we've made plenty of guides that list the recommended teks and procedures. the links in my signature lead you to those.

--------------------
Everything you need in one spot.

My Q&A thread. Ask me questions here rather than in Private Message
Bod's chat thread
Buy Bod a beer:
BTC: 1G7roCpYmNp4VqnKySQeBkaFTc7JMzKLpL
ETH: 0x2091cE981af8129986C50AC0818e1aCA76076768
DOGE: DQNyGtUNHwYUrGECag1VRmMcf6QVeTY4V1

OfflinemushboyM
99.99% filtration
 User Gallery

Loc: better trashcan
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Bag Tek [Re: bodhisatta]
    #23720297 - 10/08/16 08:32 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
Quote:

FrankieP57 said:

follow proven teks, use the search engine. it has an option to look for threads newer than 3-5 years so you don't find this old shit. try searching only in mushroom cultivation for main posts not all posts. and one result per thread. some obvious options to narrow down good results. then do some research, do people us these methods still, are they time tested and results proven. do people do well doing these methods, are they highly regarded etc...

alternatively we've made plenty of guides that list the recommended teks and procedures. the links in my signature lead you to those.

:whathesaid:

also lots of other members have super useful links in the sig.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation