Home | Community | Message Board

The Best Salvia
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBigScreen
Stranger
Loc: Upper Midwest
Help, Boyfriend in Jail
    #585633 - 03/21/02 09:23 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Hi, this isn't BigScreen, this is his girlfriend. He's in jail, it's a long bullshit story. So now it's up to me to do his little experiement, I have no idea what i am doing. I have some really dumb questions, but I am kindof scared to ask, I don't want to look like a dumbass. I have been doing a lot of reading, i still find it really confusing. Here are some dumb questions:
1. where is the best place to order spores? (hawk's eye, lil shop of spores or sporeworks)
2. should i try a couple different kinds or stick to just one?
3. how many syringes do i order? (i have 10 - 30gal plastic totes I am going to put the casings in. i think i have pint and quart jars)

i think that's all i have at this time, if anyone would like to walk me through this it would be much appreciated!
thank you

--------------------
The world is not a destination to achieve, but a reality to be experienced. A man who knows the Tao in the morning, may die with content in the evening.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDarkShiv
Stranger
Re: Help, Boyfriend in Jail [Re: BigScreen]
    #585675 - 03/21/02 10:07 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I take it your boyfriend used to do all the growing and now that he is locked up the duty falls to you. I'll help and just about everybody here will also.

1.) If you want them fast and you have a credit card, nothing beats SporeWorks. I ordered four syringes of Eq's from them and I got them in five days. If you want a larger varity and good long history the Hawk's Eye is what you are looking for. But that could take until your next life before you get the spores.

2.) I would stick to one. The reason being is less confusion. It is anti productive to case more then one strain together. If you want a different strain for each casing then go for it but I wouldn't recommend it for simplicities sake.

3.) 10 30 GALLON PLASTIC TOTES!!! That can house a lot of shroomies. I would figure on using 4 pint size cakes for a casing that size and you can get about 8 to 10 pint size cakes out of a syringe, minus one or two for contam allowance and I would say you would need 4 to 5 syringes. I wouldn't recommend using pint jars the first time out. They take longer to colonize and that increases risk of contamination. Buy some half pint jars and case about 6 of those per tote you have. That is, of course, if you are casing in a pan inside the tote and using the tote as a terranium with perilite humidification on the bottom.

Lastly, use the MMGG (magic mushroom growers guide). It is simple, to the point, discriptive and WORKS!

Hope this helps.

OfflineBigScreen
Stranger
Re: Help, Boyfriend in Jail [Re: DarkShiv]
    #585687 - 03/21/02 10:16 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Thank you that'll help alot!
I have a tiny question about sterility - how sterile is sterile? will i need a hepa filter or will lysol in the air be enough. (once they are in the totes)

--------------------
The world is not a destination to achieve, but a reality to be experienced. A man who knows the Tao in the morning, may die with content in the evening.

OfflineVisigoth
enthusiast

#585729 - 03/21/02 10:51 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Sorry this isn't in the way of help, but I'm curious. Did your boyfriend go to jail cuz of reason related to growing shrooms or what?

Vis

--------------------
"15 minutes in freezing conditions?!?! You'd become a popsicle before you made that!!!"

Anonymous

#585947 - 03/22/02 03:33 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

How is Mexico?

OfflineBigScreen
Stranger
Re: Help, Boyfriend in Jail [Re: Visigoth]
    #585968 - 03/22/02 04:07 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

No its not related to mushrooms, it was some stupid warrent from like 5 years ago. He got picked up when we were coming back from mexico to see our families for easter. it is a real shitty situation.

--------------------

Offlineandrewcubensis

#586003 - 03/22/02 05:24 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Hey

You have my sympathy - im sorry to hear hes in jail! But hey - ur sticking by him while hes inside + u have all my respect for doing that :laugh:

OfflineDarkShiv
Stranger
    #586679 - 03/22/02 09:16 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

LOL, How steril is steril. Well, by definition steril would be absolutely no unwanted particals of any kind. Seeing that we are mostly basement shroomers here I would say that those conditions are difficult to come by.

How steril must you be for success? That depends largely upon if you have a pressure cooker or not. If you are only boiling then I would take all pains to sterilize all of the stuff that you will be using. The jars, the bowls to mix it in, the air with a kitchen hood fan and some lysol. Anything that may touch the jars. If you are using a cooker then the biggest chance for contamination is when you are innocultaing the jars. That would require a clean needle, clean air and clean tape if you are covering the holes.

In theory when you do the pressure cooking all of the contaminates should be killed. Even if you are pressure cooking it is a good idea to stay as steril as you can but the margin for error is much greater.

OfflineBigScreen
Stranger
Re: Help, Boyfriend in Jail [Re: DarkShiv]
    #586697 - 03/22/02 09:50 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Thank you once again, I have a pressure cooker so that is a relief to hear that it should kill everything.

so if i just clean everything with lysol i won't need to purchase a hepa filter? But what about where i store the jars, will that have to be a "sterile" environment the whole time or could i just put them in a cupboard or something?

--------------------

OfflineDarkShiv
Stranger
    #587034 - 03/23/02 07:14 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

After you innoculate the cakes, you should place tape over the holes. The best way to do this is to turn your oven on and leave the door open. Inject the spores over the oven where you feel the air rising from the heat and this will prevent unwanted air entering the holes while you innoculate. After innoculation cover the holes with electric or masking tape. If you do this a hepa filter is not needed.

If you placed a top layer vermiculate seal then you can wait until the cakes are a little over half way colonized and then take the tape off. The jars still need oxygen and after a while the oxygen levels in the jars get pretty slim while sealed. After you take the tape off the jars are flooded with the good stuff and your mycilium will explode with growth. After half colonization the mycilum should have no problem from contams if you have the vermiculite on top.

There is a tek in here somewhere dealing with the oven idea. I forget it's name but I found it helpful.

InvisibleMeltingPenguin
Pooh-Bah

Loc: new england
    #587041 - 03/23/02 07:20 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

so you boyfrineds in jail huh? well, if you ever need anything, i mean, if you have needs taht can't be takeing care of while he's lockup, i just want you to know that i'm here for you.

You can PM me anytime, we could have some coffee, see a movie, get to know eachother, or we could just get right down to it, i'm down for whatever
let me know
i won't tell ;-)

XOXOX

--------------------
Growing anything is good for the soul

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
Re: Help, Boyfriend in Jail [Re: MeltingPenguin]
    #587090 - 03/23/02 08:18 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

rofl

OfflineLSD_4me
addict
Re: Help, Boyfriend in Jail [Re: tekramrepus]
    #587240 - 03/23/02 12:42 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

man if i were bigscreen id kick your ass when i got out of jail... get your own girl its not cool to try to take someone elses, especially while there in jail

OfflineKefkaX
Vice President.No, wait.*Junior* VicePresident!

Loc: Sydney Australia
Re: Help, Boyfriend in Jail [Re: LSD_4me]
    #587254 - 03/23/02 12:59 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Er... I think he was joking. At least that's how I got it.

--------------------
Immerse your soul in love.

OfflineLSD_4me
addict
Re: Help, Boyfriend in Jail [Re: KefkaX]
    #587272 - 03/23/02 01:37 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

yea but id be pissed if someone was saying shit like that to my girl while i was in jail... joking is cool if your there to say something back

OfflineKefkaX
Vice President.No, wait.*Junior* VicePresident!

Loc: Sydney Australia
Re: Help, Boyfriend in Jail [Re: LSD_4me]
    #587288 - 03/23/02 01:58 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, but I think the joke was just meant for anyone who read it, it wasn't a personal attack on Big Screen, so it's not too bad.
It would piss me off if someone was hitting on my girlfriend while I wasn't around. But then... if I wasn't around, I wouldn't know about it, would I?

--------------------
Immerse your soul in love.

InvisibleNighted

Loc: U.S.A.
    #587297 - 03/23/02 02:16 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

heheh....someone had to. :smile:

--------------------

Freedom defined is freedom denied.

InvisibleWakingUpLate
addict
Loc: Born on a mountain, Raise...
Re: Help, Boyfriend in Jail [Re: Nighted]
    #587312 - 03/23/02 02:35 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

The colorful characters of the shroomery. :cool:
Gotta love em! :peace:

Free Spore Ring

--------------------
The rest of those, who have gone before us,
cannot settle the unrest of those who follow.
(Finding Forrester)

InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Trusted Cultivator
    #588477 - 03/24/02 10:24 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

MeltingPenguin,

lmfaoooooooooooooooooooo @ u

You are so very very badddddddddddddddddddd.... i like that.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation