Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: Enlightenment, Self-Realization, Gnosis, Liberation...Who Cares?! [Re: DoctorJ]
    #5851422 - 07/12/06 04:51 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

oh yeah, and world poverty isn't going to end until the wealthy of the world learn a big lesson in humility and giving back to those less fortunate. Its an attitude problem. As soon as more charitable attitudes prevail in the population as a whole, there won't be any more poverty.

Its not so much lack of plan that plagues us, but lack of will.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Enlightenment, Self-Realization, Gnosis, Liberation...Who Cares?! [Re: DoctorJ]
    #5851567 - 07/12/06 05:38 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

DoctorJ said:
oh yeah, and world poverty isn't going to end until the wealthy of the world learn a big lesson in humility and giving back to those less fortunate. Its an attitude problem. As soon as more charitable attitudes prevail in the population as a whole, there won't be any more poverty.

Actually, as I said before, it's not about charitable donations, but rather a simple manner of reform in the system, which in the process of curing poverty would also help the environment. The problem is not that the population as a whole is acting in their personal self-interest, but rather that the very rich have deceived the rest of the population as to what is in their self-interest.

--------------------

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Re: Enlightenment, Self-Realization, Gnosis, Liberation...Who Cares?! [Re: Silversoul]
    #5851643 - 07/12/06 06:01 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

yeah, but you can't use the law to nag. those rich people have to find the truth within, not have it forced on them. The only reason they are deceptive is because they have been decieved.

like i said, its an attitude problem. Those who have been blessed with material success have to realize that along with that wealth and power comes a responsibility to help the less fortunate. No system can enforce good behavior on these people. They have to wake up and realize that there is more to life than the gratification of the self.

It doesn't matter what changes you make in the system as lobng as people are selfish at heart. No revolution will solve the world's problems but a revolution in consciousness.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #5851673 - 07/12/06 06:12 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I'm afraid I have to disagree. You're talking about an individual change of heart, but poverty is caused not by a lack of compassion, but by a flaw within the system

--------------------

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Re: Enlightenment, Self-Realization, Gnosis, Liberation...Who Cares?! [Re: Silversoul]
    #5851727 - 07/12/06 06:28 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

well, even if we managed to appropriate the resources of the wealthy and give them to say, Africa, who's to say that the africans would use them properly (ie- for hospitals and schools) and not just use the money to buy weapons?

Charity can easily be misappropriated. Which is why its not only our hearts and minds, but theirs as well, that need a change.

OfflineSchwammel
Auk

#5851777 - 07/12/06 06:45 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Charity can easily be misappropriated. Which is why its not only our hearts and minds, but theirs as well, that need a change. """

I used to give to the united way until their ceo started flying around the world in 1st class seats.

giving has to be from the heart...I am taking a 5 year old black boy and his father to flathead lake for a month. next time you see somebody that needs a helping hand, and most won't even ask, just do it. most of the time, but not all of the time, you won't be wrong.

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Re: Enlightenment, Self-Realization, Gnosis, Liberation...Who Cares?! [Re: Schwammel]
    #5851781 - 07/12/06 06:46 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

for real.  and its not all about money either.  Its about the elbow grease that you put in to help the lady who broke down on the side of the road, ya know?  :wink:

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: Enlightenment, Self-Realization, Gnosis, Liberation...Who Cares?! [Re: CosmicJoke]
    #5852360 - 07/12/06 08:48 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Yep, literal birthday, which I mentioned in passing, yet it did elicit a belated birthday phone call from a Shroomerite whom I literally, (as opposed to virtually) know. I no longer remind people around me as I no longer wish to be 'netted' with the emotional-temporal associations. I neither want, or expect cards, cakes or gifts. I'll not plan a Deathday party either (usually called a funeral). The event will go unannounced. I may have my corpse delivered to the Dept. of Cellular Biology, University of Miami (if I live here at time of my death), to complete my one time plan of attending medical school. I will, however, be attending as a cadaver  :wink:

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

OfflineSchwammel
Auk

#5852365 - 07/12/06 08:49 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

the bitch that you helped on the side of the road doesn't need your charity

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

Re: Enlightenment, Self-Realization, Gnosis, Liberation...Who Cares?! [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #5852583 - 07/12/06 09:27 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the recommendation, Markos.  I'll definately pick it up :thumbup:

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Re: Enlightenment, Self-Realization, Gnosis, Liberation...Who Cares?! [Re: Schwammel]
    #5852770 - 07/12/06 10:01 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Schwammel said:
the bitch that you helped on the side of the road doesn't need your charity

yeah, well, it all winds up in the same place anyway :wink:

:rofl:

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
Re: Enlightenment, Self-Realization, Gnosis, Liberation...Who Cares?! [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #5853321 - 07/12/06 11:59 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I have similar views. I'm donating my organs. I definately don't want a funeral viewing (to my understanding embalming isn't exactly nature friendly). I don't want a casket, they're just too expensive and I'd rather see the most made of what assets I have set up into a scholarship fund or charity. However, I think a funeral or a party is for the living, not for me. I certainly wouldn't oblige those who love me to have one (is that what you're saying?), but wouldn't deny them of it either. Cremation seems the most likely way for me to go, as I'd want to be burried in the most environmentally friendly way, not embalmed/wrapped in a shroud/ no specified grave marker, and in a place that will eventually mature into a haven for wild life. I've heard of such places, are they sanctioned by law? I wouldn't mind being a part of something that somewhat guaruntees a place for wildlife that won't be trampled over for the development of another Walmart.

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

OfflineSchwammel
Auk

Re: Enlightenment, Self-Realization, Gnosis, Liberation...Who Cares?! [Re: CosmicJoke]
    #5853373 - 07/13/06 12:13 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

my mother wanted her ashes thrown in the potomac river...its against the law. instaed she's in arlington cemetary. she probably wasn't thinking that 1000 people would show up and the ladybird johnson access couldn't handle the overflow parking... so some of her is there and some in the river and some on the golf course. but it is against the law...

go figure, you can't hold a funeral on the golden state bridge

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
    #5853511 - 07/13/06 12:55 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Sexual visions at the time of death along with arousal are supposed to draw one right back into a new womb. I do not choose to believe this, but I seem to be "compelled" (as my Lady Rose put it) to believe this, based upon the powerful polymorphous sexuality that accompanied the death-defying crushing suffocation of the birth experience

At least you weren't born a baby seal in Anartica, now that would be a shock! Polymorphous sexuality during the birthing experience? Hmmmm, I guess Freud says it's all Oral for the first 18mo. Blech... My mother had such crazy OCD when I grew up she probably sprayed her ***** with Lysol. LOL, No wonder I'm gay, I'm probably allergic! I think I've just lived vicariously enough through your Big Trip, I'll do without my own.

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

Edited by CosmicJoke (07/13/06 01:32 AM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale