Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Officers block political party from holding fundraiser
    #5846286 - 07/11/06 10:04 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

http://www.49abcnews.com/news/2006/jul/07/officers_block_political_party_holding_fundraiser/

Officers block political party from holding fundraiser

Topeka — What started out as a fundraising weekend for the Kansas Libertarian Party turned into a showdown with the law.

A wall of Shawnee County Sheriff’s Officers met party members as they tried to enter the Lake Edun facility, where their event was scheduled to take place.

“It’s very simple. We have to stand up to the government when the government is wrong,” Rob Hodgkinson, Kansa Libertarian Party Chairman, said. “The government is wrong in this situation.”

Judge Terry Bullock placed a court order on the property in 2005. The order prohibited any activities from taking place on the property without a permit.

“We intend to enforce the court order, nothing more, nothing less,” Under Sheriff Donald Burns, Shawnee County Sheriff’s Office, said.

But Edun owner Webb Garlinghouse said having a permit requirement for his property is no different than having the law tell him who he can invite into his home.

“I can have people in my house to visit, but I can’t have people out to my property to visit,” Garlinghouse said.

Officers stood ready when Webb and Hodgkinson made one last stand to try and keep the fundraiser in Edun.

Hodgkinson said he just wants his party to have the chance to assemble, and prepare for the August primaries.

“Private property owners trying to hold a political fundraiser. How many are happening right now all through Kansas with the primaries coming up in three weeks? How many fundraisers are being held on private property?” Hodgkinson asked. “You bet I’m frustrated.”

Police did not arrest anyone at the confrontation. Members of the Libertarian Party said they will still hold their fundraiser this weekend, but they moved the event to Ron Lessman’s Truck Henge property in Northeast Topeka.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: Officers block political party from holding fundraiser [Re: automan]
    #5846341 - 07/11/06 10:21 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Thats fucked up.

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

#5846630 - 07/11/06 11:52 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Those in power must keep their power. By whatever means necessary.

Invisible1stimer
Religion=Rape
Loc: Amerika
    #5846669 - 07/11/06 12:02 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Time to bring guns to political fundraisers.

--------------------
ash dingy donker mo gollyhopper patty popiton rockstop bueno mayo riggedy jig bobber johnathan pattywhacker gogboob t-shirt monkey.

There is such emotion in the distortion.

OfflineEconomist
in training
 User Gallery

#5847205 - 07/11/06 02:29 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

This absolutely has to be a violation of the constitution. Isn't this what Dartmouth v. Woodward was all about? State governments are not allowed to impinge upon private contracts. If the Libertarian party has contracted to use private property for an event, no state government is allowed to interfere, plain and simple.

Thank god this happened to the Libertarians though, they're usually not shy about taking the government to court over this sort of thing. (Not that it should have happened in the first place, but if it did, it's good that it happened to a group that will fight it)

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: Officers block political party from holding fundraiser [Re: Economist]
    #5854684 - 07/13/06 01:22 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

i hope the government accidently infringes upon the rights of republicans or christians in a very overt way.... [which is to say, only if they keep infringing upon rights in the first place]

i think that would actually lead to changes..... sort of a wakeup call.

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

Edited by leery11 (07/13/06 01:23 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom