Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Sports Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBasilides
Servent ofWisdom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Crown and Heart
Major League Soccer
    #5845992 - 07/11/06 09:25 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Oh why oh why can't the 4 be 5? Why can't North American sports fans open their 4 quartered heart to one more game: soccer/futbol? There's enough time for American Football, Basketball, Hockey and Baseball. Why can't one more survive in that picture?

And it's funny too, because soccer is the universal sport (probably because all you need is a ball) and yet it seems in North America, historically, they have basically created their own fab 4 sports. Perhaps the closest thing to soccer in North America is Hockey, which has a similar foundation, but innovated radically with ice, skates, sticks and a 1x3 inch piece of industrial rubber.

The success of soccer in the West would certainly be a good thing. The MLS was founded on an agreement with FIFA that if the U.S. had a Division 1 league they would host World Cup there. Even a World Cup in the Go Go 90's in America didn't raise much interest in the game. The highest average attendence in the MLS was 17,000 people in its peak. That didn't last long though. If about 30 soccer clubs in the states can maintain at least 16,000+ people per game, we got outselves a 5th league in North American sports. But the future is uncertain.

So.. does soccer have a future in the West?

--------------------

"Have you found the beginning, then, that you are looking for the end? You see, the end will be where the beginning is. Congratulations to the one who stands at the beginning: that one will know the end and will not taste death."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePat Bateman, VP
Dr. House's Inspiration
Female User Gallery

Loc: Inconceivable opulence
Re: Major League Soccer [Re: Basilides]
    #5846364 - 07/11/06 12:30 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

i'll watch soccer over baseball, for the most part

--------------------
Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?
No, says the man in Washington; it belongs to the poor.
No, says the man in the Vatican; it belongs to God.
No, says the man in Moscow; it belongs to everyone.

I rejected those answers. Instead, I chose something
different. I chose the impossible. I chose...
Rapture.
-  Andrew Ryan

Formula: 0

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #5846439 - 07/11/06 12:59 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

You should check out the film "Once in a Lifetime," currently in indie theaters around the country, for an answer to your question.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Loc: Toronto Canada Flag
    #5846443 - 07/11/06 01:01 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

If they could somehow amalgamate lawn bowling with full contact lacrosse it would have a better chance of suceeding on a mass scale than soccer, that whole eye foot coordination thing will probably never catch on over here in N. America

--------------------
"Being crazier than a shithouse rat is not sufficient grounds for banishment"

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: Major League Soccer [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #5846772 - 07/11/06 02:28 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Once in a lifetime is a good flick OMR?

Its showing right across the street, I was gonna go check it out...

Reccomended?

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisibleTheFakeSunRa
your good friend <3
 User Gallery

Loc: Pelican Bay SHU Program
Re: Major League Soccer [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #21236546 - 02/06/15 08:45 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Klinsmann wants 11 month MLS season.

--------------------
What is this? It is a prolate spheroid, an elongated sphere in which the outer leather casing is drawn tightly over a somewhat smaller rubber tubing. Better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football.

-John Heisman

"I didn’t dive on one fumble because the way my leg was (positioned)," Newton told reporters in Charlotte on Tuesday. "It could have been contorted in a way. You say my effort? I didn’t dive down. I fumbled - that’s fine. That’s fine. We didn’t lose the game because of that fumble.”

-Scam Newton

InvisibleBill_Oreilly
ANIMALS (total devastation)

Loc: Boston
Re: Major League Soccer [Re: TheFakeSunRa]
    #21236714 - 02/06/15 09:19 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

whats soccer?

--------------------
I do not receive PMs. I can't read them so don't bother. If you need to get in touch with me or ask me anything go to my bio and get my email address

The transcendental object at the end of time. The ruler of all. It can make it rain and bring tears too your eyes. It is holy. It is made of mind, syntax, and data. It is the alpha and omega...the philosophers stone. It is our end-state. Have you seen me? 👽

RIP JVELLS

OfflineEnjoywho
Rags to Bitches
Male User Gallery

Re: Major League Soccer [Re: Bill_Oreilly]
    #21239336 - 02/07/15 02:56 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

I pay no attention to it but I want to make it to a sounders game this year though. I don't even know when the season begins or ends. :lol:

--------------------
"I don't give nothin' to nobody, I just pay the cost to do business." - Riley "Young Reezy"-Boondocks

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

"In the days of kings and queens I was a jester."

"And then the great lord created bears... too many bears... shoulda really dialed back on the bears." Squidbillies

"Can you start speaking words instead of your damn filthy lies!"- Louise "Bobs Burgers"

InvisibleTheFakeSunRa
your good friend <3
 User Gallery

Re: Major League Soccer [Re: Enjoywho]
    #21239823 - 02/07/15 04:42 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Enjoywho said:
I pay no attention to it but I want to make it to a sounders game this year though. I don't even know when the season begins or ends. :lol:

Fuck the Sounders

Go Timbers bitches

--------------------
What is this? It is a prolate spheroid, an elongated sphere in which the outer leather casing is drawn tightly over a somewhat smaller rubber tubing. Better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football.

-John Heisman

"I didn’t dive on one fumble because the way my leg was (positioned)," Newton told reporters in Charlotte on Tuesday. "It could have been contorted in a way. You say my effort? I didn’t dive down. I fumbled - that’s fine. That’s fine. We didn’t lose the game because of that fumble.”

-Scam Newton

OfflinestarsNbars
 User Gallery

Loc: Tennessee
    #21368454 - 03/05/15 11:53 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

I made the trip all the way from tennessee to a sounders game. The march to the match was great. Would love to make a timbers game
Great sunday for futbol, three games on national televison!

InvisibleTheFakeSunRa
your good friend <3
 User Gallery

Re: Major League Soccer [Re: starsNbars]
    #25666677 - 12/08/18 10:56 PM (4 months, 14 days ago)

Atlanta United Wins The Cup!!!

--------------------

-John Heisman

-Scam Newton

OfflineTheDoubter
Myconaut
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #25911384 - 04/02/19 01:07 PM (23 days, 16 hours ago)

Rough start to the season but let's go 5 stripes!!! Unite and conqueror!! Resurgence!!! ⚫🔴⚫🔴⚫!!

--------------------
The believer is happy. The doubter is wise.
-Edgar Allan Poe
"If wishes were horses, beggars would ride."
"DMT is half the world."
-Terence McKenna
Where is my mind? My first heroic dose.

InvisibleTheFakeSunRa
your good friend <3
 User Gallery

Re: Major League Soccer [Re: TheDoubter]
    #25911496 - 04/02/19 02:03 PM (23 days, 15 hours ago)

None of the games have been televised yet down here in Florida but it looks like losing Miguel Almirón is going to really hurt

--------------------

-John Heisman

-Scam Newton

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Scales

General Interest >> Sports Forum