Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKindnug
Male
Loc: Midwest, Go Bears
mycotek's new coconut strate in use * 1
    #583799 - 03/19/02 11:31 PM (22 years, 15 days ago)

Hey everyone, I have some excellent first pics of myco's new coconut strate in action. It is everything he says and more. I used mostly jars with this first batch spawned on 3-17. Here are the best two to take pictures of for everyone's sake on here; the first being a pint glass wiped with alcohol (probably totally unnecessary) These next two pics were taken at 34 hours (Walter Payton, props)

Okay, here is a half pint that I spawned the next day, this picture is at 16 hours. I was checking it about every 2 hours after 12, boy was I suprised to see this after virtually nothing at 14!!!! Took pictures immediately, here they be. Keep in mind this was a control jar from the batch that was going in and out of the incubator, so some may be further along, some a bit less.

closer, you damn good for nothing photographer!!

Oh yeah, you'll like this too. Just had to try it, threw some leftovers (actually a half-pints worth at least) in a standard ziplock bag and poked 5 holes in it with a paperclip (that is what I am using to poke holes in the foil lids on the jars, too.... 2 per half pint; 3 or 4 for anything larger). All of these batches were mixed by hand mind you, and the substrate was left out hydrated for a good 40 minutes before being spawned and eventually put into jars...also all by hand except for loading of jars, I just used a clean spoon for that. Too funny this stuff, he has engineered it so it is practically contaminant free even in open air. Anyways, here's that ziplock. tough to see because they aren't too clear, but you can see good enough to get the point!! These pics were all just taken at 40 hours, and they were sitting on top of my incubator, not inside. Not bad for a ziploc huh? See for yourself

you ever done this? It works with this stuff, this bag has holes all over it!!! Doesn't seem to matter in the least, like I said this bag isn't even inside the incubator!!

More picture to come maybe even in six hours or so!!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSumGuy
addict

Re: mycotek's new coconut strate in use [Re: Kindnug]
    #584048 - 03/20/02 08:34 AM (22 years, 14 days ago)

what's in that?

--------------------
-SumGuy :cool:

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: mycotek's new coconut strate in use [Re: SumGuy]
    #584063 - 03/20/02 08:48 AM (22 years, 14 days ago)

It?s a coco coir based(instead of vermiculite) substrate developed by McMan.
Read http://www.myco-tek.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=3c98aec7428dffff;act=ST;f=8;t=4 .

Anonymous

#584120 - 03/20/02 09:56 AM (22 years, 14 days ago)

Strain?

OfflineKindnug
Male
Re: mycotek's new coconut strate in use [Re: ]
    #584238 - 03/20/02 12:39 PM (22 years, 14 days ago)

Strains- The pint is TC, the half pint is PR, and the ziplock is B+. Sorry forgot to label them. Still waiting for a couple of SA grain jars innoculated with those 2 syringes I won to be 100% colonized; Can't wait to get a load of SA coconut jars. Thanks again for running so many syringes contests, you are the man!!! You will definitely get more kudos in a couple weeks when we can actually see them in the pod!! I hear from myco that SA is the shit; thew grow huge in the pod. Take it easy

Anonymous

Post deleted by Anno [Re: Anno]
    #584310 - 03/20/02 02:05 PM (22 years, 14 days ago)

Anonymous

Post deleted by Anno [Re: Anonymous]
    #584326 - 03/20/02 02:16 PM (22 years, 14 days ago)

Anonymous

Re: mycotek's new coconut strate in use [Re: Anonymous]
    #584366 - 03/20/02 02:46 PM (22 years, 14 days ago)

Looks like it's off to a good start there Mycotek. The Mycelium looks noticeably strong. I'm really looking forward to watching this stuff perform in the Hydrapod. Exciting!

Offlineroykinn
enthusiast

Re: mycotek's new coconut strate in use [Re: ]
    #584375 - 03/20/02 02:55 PM (22 years, 14 days ago)

Good job Kindnug, I spawned my batch yesterday at 5pm, at 5 today I'll take a pic, I'm already seeing a bunch of action- this stuff is great guys, anyways, look for my thread in a bit-

peace

roy

--------------------
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline- It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nunclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -Frank Zappa

Invisiblealtarego
    #584459 - 03/20/02 04:48 PM (22 years, 14 days ago)

I believe Anno was referring to the fact that this substrate is very similar to one outlined by Stamets in GGMM, which uses vermiculite (instead of coco peat). Here's a quote:

"Another simple and inexpensive form of pelletized spawn can be made from vermiculite saturated with a soy protein based nutrient broth, a 'secret' method used by some of the largest spawn producers."

While I have no idea what mycotek puts in his substrate, this is the idea, and one could come up with any number of liquid nutrient media to adsorb onto coco peat (or vermiculite or calcined earth, or paper pellets, for that matter.)

Hydrolized soy protein (Peptone is good) would be one, or a malt yeast peptone broth.

This type of medium is good for rapid colonization, and for use as a spawn master, but for fruiting directly, the nutrients are likely to be consumed just as quickly, and the overall yield might be less than with a grain based substrate.

Here's Stamets again:

"Many grains are, pound-for-pound, particle for particle, more nutritious than most forms of pelletized spawn. . .the danger with this approach is that, as the base nutirition of the substrate is increased, so too is its receptivity to contaminants."

I don't mean to knock mycotek's product (I'm curious to hear how it works), I just thought it would be useful to explain the science behind it, since it is in the public domain.

- AE

Anonymous

Post deleted by Anno [Re: altarego]
    #584541 - 03/20/02 06:32 PM (22 years, 14 days ago)

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #584602 - 03/20/02 07:49 PM (22 years, 14 days ago)

> What does vermiclute have to do with it?

Because you are making a substrate for cakes, that ought to be superiour to classic PF cakes which, as we all know, use vermiculite.

OfflineKindnug
Male
    #584935 - 03/21/02 03:15 AM (22 years, 14 days ago)

Sorry I didn't get to updating quicker, but here is a pic of that pint; this time at close to 4 days (about 3 3/4). I'll probably birth it in 2.

I think the pint glass might be a bit too thick, it definitely doesn't breathe very well. I have some cheap Walmart plastic cups that I started using yesterday, I'll post pics of those tomorrow at 48 hours. Peace!!

OfflineJammer
Computers areMORE Addictive!

Loc: (God's Country) - USA
    #584937 - 03/21/02 03:25 AM (22 years, 14 days ago)

HOLLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!!

Let me get this straight.... This last pic was taken 3 3/4 days after inoculation with a syringe, is that correct??

If so, this gang-shroomer is totaly impresed! It's actually hard to believe. :wink: 

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

Edited by Jammer (03/21/02 03:58 AM)

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Re: mycotek's new coconut strate in use [Re: Jammer]
    #584950 - 03/21/02 03:46 AM (22 years, 14 days ago)

"first batch spawned on 3-17."
________________________________-

Means that the mycelium was already growing on grain or some other spawn.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

OfflineJammer
Computers areMORE Addictive!

Loc: (God's Country) - USA
Re: mycotek's new coconut strate in use [Re: Joshua]
    #584957 - 03/21/02 03:56 AM (22 years, 14 days ago)

Thank you sir!!

Man, for awhile there I really had thought that I had lossed touch with shit!

(whew!)

:smile:   

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

OfflineKindnug
Male
Re: mycotek's new coconut strate in use [Re: Jammer]
    #584961 - 03/21/02 04:08 AM (22 years, 14 days ago)

correct Joshua, this was spawned from a Pint grain jar that was innoculated on 3-6 at 4:00 am to be specific. So in total time you are definitely right back up to around the time it takes for a speedy BRF cake, but if you can manage to stagger your grain jars and use a different strain for each jar in each batch you are set. The natural differences in speeds will make sure that you always have a jar within a day or two of when you need it. So for me, it really was only 4 days because I had the shit planned out so that I would have at least a few jars ready to spawn with when I got the substrate from Mycotek.

OfflineKindnug
Male
    #585827 - 03/21/02 10:32 PM (22 years, 13 days ago)

Here we go, almost done. Should be 100% colonized by the morning, when it hits the 5 day mark.. Pretty good for a Pint glass after all

Okay, got back to that half pint finally, this thing is pretty much 100% colonized, and it was spawned 3-18 at 6:00pm. Picture was just taken at 11:00pm 3 days later. This is my first cake 100% colonized in 3 days, very close to the pics that myco posted but better, this is the tall skinny (I think they take a bit longer usually?), and I'm a fuck I always pack the jars down a bit at the top to get more in.

lightning fast stuff

Edited by Kindnug (03/21/02 10:40 PM)

Offlinezhukov
enthusiast
Loc: Australia
    #585841 - 03/21/02 10:49 PM (22 years, 13 days ago)

They're great cakes kindnug :wink: ......that coco substrate is pretty good so far by the experiments....
- pity you can't ship this sort of stuff o.s. huh..... 

Offlinempython6
Loc: Austin, TX
Re: mycotek's new coconut strate in use [Re: zhukov]
    #585942 - 03/22/02 01:18 AM (22 years, 13 days ago)

I am having no trouble with contams and my pint glasses are about 20-25% colonized. They were done at 8:30 pm on 3/19. I crumbled one brf cake, colonized by treasure coast. Dung!!!! I knew I smelled shit after it was hydrated. My girlfriend was so pissed. " you brought shit into the apartment. For christ sake, we flush it away. Why would you bring it back in?" Love the girl anyway. Hopefully will get her to trip with the first batch off my super strate cakes. She just doesn't get what I see in these little mushrooms and why I'm so fixated on growing them right and investing the money. She does like the fact that they look like penises. Maybe thats how I'll get her to down a gram.

--------------------
Mpython6

"Those who can't hear the music often think the dancers mad."

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds