Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblesnatchcakes
Rad Dude

Loc: HellTrack
Priest Arrested for Marijuana Cultivation
    #2265067 - 01/23/04 07:06 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I just caught the tail end of the report,but a priest in Ohio was arrested when 30 marijuana plants were found growing in his living room!has anyone else heard about this.I think its a riot,but probably a good cover,just not good enough i guess. :spliff:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTwista
Fire it up
Male

Loc: Central Florida
Re: Priest Arrested for Marijuana Cultivation [Re: snatchcakes]
    #2265357 - 01/23/04 10:00 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

they were growing in the church.

here's the article.

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/news/7777375.htm

Quote:

The three books confiscated by Norton police seemed out of place in the private office of a Catholic priest.

Opium for the Masses. Marijuana Growers Guide. Marijuana Medicine.

But police said what was going on in the Prince of Peace Catholic Church rectory had little to do with church business.

Following a search of the residence and office of the Rev. Richard A. Arko, Norton police announced Thursday they had arrested the 40-year-old pastor on a charge of illegal cultivation of marijuana.

A second man, Jensen J. Powell, 24, who is unemployed and living at the four-bedroom Shannon Avenue rectory, was charged with trafficking in marijuana.

Both are fifth-degree felonies carrying prison sentences of six months to a year.

Police confiscated not only the books but also 35 marijuana plants ranging from 6 inches to 4 feet, grow lights, electric transformers and air purifiers, all from a room that police said was being used to grow marijuana.

According to police, the plants were growing in a second-floor bedroom of the rectory.

Police took two baggies of marijuana and $1,100 in cash from Powell. They allege that Powell was selling marijuana from the residence.

Both men appeared Thursday before Barberton Municipal Judge Michael McNulty.

McNulty released Arko on a signature bond and set a $10,000 cash bond for Powell. The men are due back in court Wednesday.

The Catholic Diocese of Cleveland placed Arko on immediate ``leave of absence from priestly ministry,'' according to a press release from the diocese.

Attorney Peter Cahoon, who represents the priest, told Judge McNulty that in the meantime Arko will be living at a home he owns on West Tuscarawas Avenue in Barberton.

Prince of Peace parish is situated on the Norton-Barberton border, with the church and rectory in Norton at 1263 Shannon Ave., and the parish hall and parking lot in Barberton.

Norton Lt. Thad Hete was reluctant to discuss details of the investigation, such as how he came to suspect Arko of growing marijuana for sale in the rectory.

But he said investigators -- including Barberton police and the Summit County Drug Unit -- were able to connect the plants to Arko.

``We heard whisperings for some time,'' Hete said. ``This wasn't a fishing expedition. What we found in there is what we expected to find.''

The arrest, however, came as a surprise to parishioners at Prince of Peace, who describe Arko as a deeply spiritual man.

``I can't believe he would do anything that God wouldn't want him to do,'' said Anne Goch. ``I can't believe he would do anything to break the law or to hurt anybody.''

Goch was a member of St. Mary Church in Barberton for more than 70 years.

Arko, who was ordained in 1990, came to St. Mary's in 1994 to serve as administrator.

In 2001, he was assigned as administrator of Sacred Heart in Barberton and served both parishes until they merged July 1, 2002. After the parishes merged, the name was changed to Prince of Peace and Arko became pastor in March 2003.

Betty Spetich converted to Catholicism and joined Sacred Heart about two years ago. She said Arko, who guided her through her religious instruction, was instrumental in her conversion.

``When I first heard Father Arko, I just thought he's a priest I would like to get to know and I would like to join the church under his leadership,'' Spetich said. ``I love Father Arko and we have great faith in him and we'll stand behind him all the way.''

Spetich said the parish has enjoyed steady growth under Arko's leadership because he is able to relate to people of all ages.

``He's such a good friend to everyone. He lives out his religion,'' Spetich said. ``He would help anyone in need and everyone loves him -- from the young children to the senior citizens.''

Arko, who is also a yogi, has brought new parishioners to the church through Sacred Ground Yoga.

Becki Haller, who attended some of Arko's yoga classes and worked with him on a program for mentally and physically challenged people, attended Arko's arraignment. She described Arko as a dear friend she has known for five or six years.

``He's a friend unconditionally and I want him to know I'll be there,'' Haller said. ``I'll pray things go well for him and he can continue to use all of his gifts and talents to help people.''

OfflineTwista
Fire it up
Male

Loc: Central Florida
Re: Priest Arrested for Marijuana Cultivation [Re: Twista]
    #2265373 - 01/23/04 10:05 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

who cares, even potheads can be good people!

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #2265395 - 01/23/04 10:15 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

> who cares, even potheads can be good people!

Haven't you been reading the news lately? They just figured out that potheads kill other people 'cause they go all crazy and stuff, and that cannabis is highly toxic and even a little bit can kill you!!! Be careful with that stuff...

(sarcasm for the humor impaired)

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleBadEnglish
Chief Of Staff

#2265407 - 01/23/04 10:18 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

of course potheads can be good people,i dont think thats really the issue.

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Priest Arrested for Marijuana Cultivation [Re: BadEnglish]
    #2265585 - 01/23/04 11:38 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

> i dont think thats really the issue

The real issue is that a lot of people are really getting fed up with their respective governments telling them what they can or cannot put in their bodies. The governments are loosing control of their sheep, and they don't like it... so they have started to resort to their old tactics of intentional lying to the masses. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out... not that I expect any changes. People tend to believe their governments, regardless of the facts smaking them in the face.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Loc: BC Canada
    #2266455 - 01/23/04 04:38 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

that is funny

it's kinda wierd that he was selling it

--------------------
  -I'd rather have a frontal lobotomy than a bottle in front of me

CANADIAN CENTER FOR POLICY ALTERNATIVES

Anonymous

#2266703 - 01/23/04 06:18 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

"The Catholic Diocese of Cleveland placed Arko on immediate ``leave of absence from priestly ministry,'' according to a press release from the diocese."

i love it. rape little boys, keep your spot. grow an illegal plant, get the boot.

Offlinekindadank
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Priest Arrested for Marijuana Cultivation [Re: ]
    #2266763 - 01/23/04 06:57 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Yup, the good 'ole catholic church...they always do what's right :rolleyes:

OfflineHarvestTheBrain
CultDeVader

Loc: Usa
    #2270183 - 01/25/04 12:48 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

``I can't believe he would do anything that God wouldn't want him to do,'' said Anne Goch. ``I can't believe he would do anything to break the law or to hurt anybody.''

how exactly did he hurt somebody?

InvisibleGalvie_Flu
 User Gallery

Re: Priest Arrested for Marijuana Cultivation [Re: snatchcakes]
    #2270549 - 01/25/04 03:20 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

InvisibleBadEnglish
Chief Of Staff

Re: Priest Arrested for Marijuana Cultivation [Re: Galvie_Flu]
    #2270888 - 01/25/04 06:10 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

nice picture...  :lol:

--------------------

OfflinePSylopHiLe
stoner
Male User Gallery

Re: Priest Arrested for Marijuana Cultivation [Re: BadEnglish]
    #5841657 - 07/10/06 08:33 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Drug use is one of the few victimless crimes, yet we lock them up in record numbers

--------------------
"Try not to let your mind wander, it might not come back"

OfflineExplosiveMango
HallucinogenusDigitallus
Male User Gallery

Re: Priest Arrested for Marijuana Cultivation [Re: PSylopHiLe]
    #5841840 - 07/10/06 09:55 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

``I can't believe he would do anything that God wouldn't want him to do,''

Something is always very very wrong when it's commonplace to find arrogance like this...

People actually believing they know the mind of god...

Sickening.

--------------------
Know your self.
Know your substance.
Know your source.

The most distorted perspective possible is the perspective that yours is not distorted.

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Priest Arrested for Marijuana Cultivation [Re: ExplosiveMango]
    #5842220 - 07/10/06 12:08 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

this story is from 04, read the post dates before u decide to post. you may be bumping old pointless threads. thanks.

OfflineMicrocosmatrix
Spiral staircasetechnician
Male

Loc: Ythan's house
Re: Priest Arrested for Marijuana Cultivation [Re: CptnGarden]
    #5842236 - 07/10/06 12:14 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

It's the "related threads" links I tell you!

Having those links legitimizes these threads, and as a result, many of them are bumped.

If anything, they should code in a thread age limit on threads that appear in "related threads".

That is all.

--------------------
:orly:

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Priest Arrested for Marijuana Cultivation [Re: Microcosmatrix]
    #5844046 - 07/10/06 07:54 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

maybe a slightly different colored link for threads not posted in the current year.

Offlineskippytdi
Stranger
    #8521364 - 06/13/08 07:52 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

i would have a shred of faith
in the generalized jesus faith,
if this is what the priests
were caught doing
instead of fucking
young boys...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale