Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Enlightenment, Self-Realization, Gnosis, Liberation...Who Cares?!
    #5842040 - 07/10/06 01:18 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Does anyone ever practice dying in any way? Has anyone ever done what Ram Dass suggested one do (psychedelics implied) - lying down and pretending that this is your time to die. Cry if you want to, express anger, remorse, fear, resentment towards the living, whatever? Does anyone ever lie down for a nap (during the day when one can more clearly look around the room first), or go to sleep at night and pretend that this is it - I may not ever return to the waking state? I have done these things for years. Not all the time but periodically. Why?...

I used to fear death until I reasoned that if death was mere cessation, it would be indistinguishable from Delta wave sleep - dark, unconscious, dreamless sleep. If that was the case, there would be nothing frightening at all about it - but a nagging fear - irrational by nature - persisted. Then I began to become 'cosmic.' My soul began to be become 'psychedelicized.' I began to explore metaphysical possibilities like the mysteries veiled by death: heavens, hells, transmigrations, metempsychosis, reincarnation, rebirth - not just cessation or annihilation. I tried to talk to my mother about such things for 20 years. She remained an atheist to her dying day, but even worse - a materialist. Not even a non-theistic belief in the Clear Light - nothing. I spoke with her two days before she died (a death I eventually assisted her in) and the notion of 'Light' freaked her out! Darkness was comprehensible, but Light suggested 'Something Else' - another form of existence - The Unknown.

I had another birthday yesterday and it reminded one of those spaces that Stan Groff has codified. It reminded me of my Big Trip of 7/4/73 which is probably archived here, in which I relived my birth experience - an Experience which fueled my passion to live in a way that I never had to undergo birth again. My fear of death expanded into an equal or greater fear of rebirth. Interesting huh? One of my major hopes is to live long enough that the 'Snake' in the center of the Tibetan Buddhist Wheel of Life - 'Lust' (along with the Cock of Pride and the Pig of Anger) ceases to influence me. Sexual visions at the time of death along with arousal are supposed to draw one right back into a new womb. I do not choose to believe this, but I seem to be "compelled" (as my Lady Rose put it) to believe this, based upon the powerful polymorphous sexuality that accompanied the death-defying crushing suffocation of the birth experience. More Groff, and metaphysics. Celibacy was not a useful means to alleviate my predilection for sex, promiscuity merely throws fuel on the fires of desire, but the Middle Way of monogamous sex is a compromise. It can be used Tantrically or Kabbalistically to effect a Shiva-Shakti, Tiphereth-Yesod [Sun-Moon] Union - at least theoretically.

So, desire-fear, attraction-revulsion, eros-thanatos, life-death: the basic duality characterizing existence (1,0) needs to be transcended here and now - not later. As BE HERE NOW states it "Later never comes." Can I stop, freeze-frame life in an intense moment of samadhi whenever I want to and be perfectly ready for death/Liberation? Can you? Without certainty, but with some intuition, can you be ever-cognizant of The Ultimate Condition throughout existence (while in a dental chair, while making love, while giving birth, while receiving flowers, while attending a funeral, etc., etc.? Is there a base-line of Undying Awareness running through the peaks and troughs of your existence? Does anyone care one way or another?

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Enlightenment, Self-Realization, Gnosis, Liberation...Who Cares?! [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #5842048 - 07/10/06 01:20 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

primal screamer
terminal screamer
I'm just a dreamer not a screamer
lots more in middle than at the ends.

--------------------

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: Enlightenment, Self-Realization, Gnosis, Liberation...Who Cares?! [Re: redgreenvines]
    #5842286 - 07/10/06 02:32 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

inspiring. [directed to Markos]

do you advocate psychedelic use in this process of awakening?

i set myself to meditate a long time today but got a call to go work. about 1 hour and 20 minutes of it with scattered walking/tai chi breaks.

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

Edited by leery11 (07/10/06 02:32 PM)

OfflineBasilides
Servent ofWisdom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Crown and Heart
Re: Enlightenment, Self-Realization, Gnosis, Liberation...Who Cares?! [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #5842415 - 07/10/06 03:16 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

:thumbup:

Ah the Big Sleep. Unconsciousness and blackness. :shocked: I have always thought that if this was the case, it is better to have never even existed if that is all that happens after a strange experience of sustained consciousness. The very core of reality couldn't be that cruel. Everything is misty and liquidy in the metaphysical world, but it ain't water, but the purest of pure notions in flat out fullness. Sometimes it's even obvious. Lets say the Universe is indeed expanded, and as humans we manage to travel to the border of material existence. The idea that there is complete nothingness beyond the borders of existence is absurd to me. The Clear Light is like a twister that takes in the sparks at death. Within seconds it's gone deep within pure reality and light, never to be retrieved by seperation again. A materialist tends to grow roots into the world. When the Light comes whirling by he remains unmoved. But for the awake dying is merely like getting a dry towel wet.

Excellent post, Mark

--------------------

"Have you found the beginning, then, that you are looking for the end? You see, the end will be where the beginning is. Congratulations to the one who stands at the beginning: that one will know the end and will not taste death."

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: Enlightenment, Self-Realization, Gnosis, Liberation...Who Cares?! [Re: Basilides]
    #5842575 - 07/10/06 04:00 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for the 'juicy' reply!

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: Enlightenment, Self-Realization, Gnosis, Liberation...Who Cares?! [Re: leery11]
    #5842578 - 07/10/06 04:01 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I took "the Red Pill" long ago  :wink:

--------------------

OfflineDoctorJ
"Nazi, Satanist Anti-Christ"
Male

Loc: space
    #5842722 - 07/10/06 04:34 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

every time I have faced the possibility of death (and yes, there have been several times), a crazy calm has come over me, along with this overwhelming realization that everything was going to be alright; death is no big deal.

though I am thankful to be alive, I do not fear death, in fact in many ways I look forward to it.

I would like to live a long full life, but in the back of my mind I realize that true freedom only comes after death.

I know in my heart that this reality around me is a prison. In death, I will shed the density of my third dimensional body and ascend into a higher frequency of the Reality.

--------------------
'You can go to a hospital
Get yourself cleaned out.'

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

#5842756 - 07/10/06 04:47 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Does the Ultimate Condition include individuals at all? That's the question that seems the most woefully unanswerable to me. If the answer is yes, then death becomes a most important event. If the answer is no, what are you preparing for?

Do you remain on the other side of the veil? If the Clear Light is unity and dissolver of boundaries and duality, then what place does the individual soul have in this? My sense is that on the other side, the individual ceases to be distinct in the way that we experience life embodied now. I was born into a fairly radical, quasi-occult doomsday cult that taught reincarnation as a function of karma, a necessity to allow the adequate span of time and cycles so that karma could be transmuted and one could eventually ascend or be cast into the "second death". But this notion of karma and reincarnation seems to me to be an ego construct, a way of rationalizing away the abyss, and a way of coming to terms with suffering and apparent inequity in the world.

I loved your description here:
Quote:

In other words, we go through life thinking we are 'individual' waves that come into and go out of being on 'The Other Shore.' Few of us Realize that ALL waves are one with the Ocean - that we are in Truth, the entire Ocean of Existence. It is our illusory/delusory attachment to this form and that form that constitutes the dream. God sees through the eyes of ALL beings and our job is to Realize that Consciousness is God experiencing creation through all of Conscious existence.

Thus, in the end, there is neither reincarnation or rebirth, neither is there transmigration or metempsychosis. Call these what you will, they cease to have meaning when one Realizes we are the Ocean itself, not an individual wave.

This expresses my sentiment very eloquently. But how do you reconcile these words with the concerns pertaining death and rebirth you express in this thread? What is the purpose of realizing that all waves are one with the Ocean if you still ground your intention in this life in the construct of death and rebirth?

OfflineDroz
Love of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Floorida
Re: Enlightenment, Self-Realization, Gnosis, Liberation...Who Cares?! [Re: DoctorJ]
    #5842767 - 07/10/06 04:51 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Wow that's neat, actually today I thought about it while I was lying in bed, I was thinking that some sort of meteor were going to hit the earth and it is my final day to be on the earth, the end of all life on this planet as we know it.

Then I started to think how I could die any given day now, from a car accident, someone murdering me, so on and so forth.

It was kinda frightening so I had to get up and keep myself occupied before I am overcome by the thoughts of death.

Peace,
Droz

--------------------
Evolution of Time.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: Enlightenment, Self-Realization, Gnosis, Liberation...Who Cares?! [Re: Viveka]
    #5843639 - 07/10/06 08:15 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Good question. I often vacillate between my highest intuition of Ultimate Reality, and a level that is more immersed in the Existential rather than the Ontological. When this happens, I then post (I usually just repond to others' questions). So here is a moment of weakness. I'd rather show the vacillation and conflict of concerns, than to appear consistently confident, giving the false impression of being more consistently Self-Realized  :wink: than I actually am. So, pardon the inconsistency but try to see it in light of an honest expression of my as-yet-untransformed nature.

In other words, I am capable of expressing very high perspectives, but I am incapable of remaining in those perspectives continuously! More like Nirvikalpa Samadhi than Sahaj Samadhi, by way of parallel.

Thank you for asking the question! It is a good question, it was obvious to you, and I'm glad it was addressed!

Individuality is unfortunately unable to be discerned from pure Identity. We can't help but associate our 'sense' of pure Identity with all the psychophysical aspects of ourselves, and having the notion of individuality as uniqueness instead of having the notion of individuality as our 'individual' experiences of the ONE 'I AM.'

Similarly with love. We may believe that we love a dozen or so people out of billions, but since everyone who is capable of loving has this experience, it may well be that certain 'individuals' serve as particular 'keys' that open us to a place within us that is a 'realm' of love. If that is the case, then the 'specialness' of certain people in this life must be seen as relative to our temporal conditions, while simultaneously recognizing the impersonal (or better yet) transpersonal nature of "love as a state of being" (an idea from The Only Dance There Is by Ram Dass). When we at last enter into love (heaven, God) then we will cease to associate the personal 'keys'to the 'lock' on the 'door' to our Heart, because the 'door' has finally opened and we can enter in fully. Our 'loved ones' will have been 'the Infinite in the finite' for us in life, but on death, our finitude will enter into the Infinite. I suspect that it has been the Infinite all along that has imparted specialness, uniqueness, individuality, love and identity to us in the first place.

Peace and Love to you!  :wink:  :heart:

--------------------

OfflineSchwammel
Auk

#5843698 - 07/10/06 08:29 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Wow, where did you guys come from?

Nothing you said makes any sense... What are you talking about?

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #5843832 - 07/10/06 09:05 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

A woman at the table said she loved her job, her husband, and her child, but still she felt a lack - it was that she had no spiritual life. How could she achieve a spiritual life? Answering this woman, Carlos didn't change the lightness or generosity of his manner; yet a steely thing came into his voice, a tone that made his words pierce all of us. He said that when she got home at night she should sit in her chair and remember that her child, her husband, everyone she loved, and she herself, were going to die - and they would die in no particular order, unpredictably. "Remember this every night, and you'll soon have a spiritual life." He didn't tell her what sort of spiritual life to have, much less whether it should agree with his. He didn't suggest she read his books more carefully, or attend the movement classes he'd begun to teach. He gave her a practical instruction, something she could accomplish within the parameters of her life as it was, and then assured her that this would set her on her own spiritual path, whatever that might turn out to be. This is the mark of a true Teacher. Later in the conversation this woman asked how she could discipline herself to follow his advice, deeply follow it, so that it wouldn't be just an exercise. Carlos said: "You give yourself a command." On the page there's no duplicating how he said it. He spoke quietly, but it was as though he'd suddenly jammed a knife into the tabletop. "What's that mean?" one of us asked. "It means you give yourself a command." And that was that. "A command is not a promise. A command is not "trying." A command is something that must be obeyed".

--From an Essay about a meeting with Carlos Castaneda

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

OfflineSchwammel
Auk

Re: Enlightenment, Self-Realization, Gnosis, Liberation...Who Cares?! [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #5843864 - 07/10/06 09:12 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

But who do you give this command to? And who gives it?

Who is in control!

InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

#5844453 - 07/10/06 11:23 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Twice, after recklessly high doses of tranquilizers combined with marijuana, I seriously thought I was about to die. There was no doubt in my mind that quite soon, my breathing was going to stop entirely. I was surprisingly accepting of this fact. The idea of death, at the time, didn't seem frightening at all. Unfortunately, all the drugs really skewed my perception of these two NDEs. Whether I would've experienced the same emotional state during a sober NDE, I cannot say.

Fear of death made sense to me when I was a Christian. (A period of my life I like to refer to as "The Dark Ages.") Since, as a naughty naturally-born-to-sin being, I was constantly afraid of not meeting God's quota. Hell didn't sound like much fun. But, as a materialist, I now have a hard time understanding how nihilation of the self could be scary. At first, soon after switching perspectives, "Oh noes! I'm not going to exist anymore!" was a troubling thought. Luckily, eventually, this thought vanished along with my addiction to the self. Nothing else is permanent, why should I expect myself to be?

I see myself as a unique and temporary phenomena. Although I may prefer to live for a thousand years, I have no aspirations for immortality. Being able to briefly participate in existence seems fulfilling enough for me.

InvisiblethatiAM
Stranger

Re: Enlightenment, Self-Realization, Gnosis, Liberation...Who Cares?! [Re: MushmanTheManic]
    #5844540 - 07/10/06 11:39 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

MushmanTheManic said:
Nothing else is permanent, why should I expect myself to be?

I see myself as a unique and temporary phenomena. Although I may prefer to live for a thousand years, I have no aspirations for immortality. Being able to briefly participate in existence seems fulfilling enough for me.

The thing is, the personal, individual self is impermanent, but what you really are is timeless. In the same way that as a boy wants only candy, a man wants only money, and an old man is disinterested in both, you are impermanent. Desires are as fickle as the wind, and once desire is fulfilled, it only paves the way for more wants and desires. Believing that you are this collection of habits and desires is bondage. This is the ever changing, the ever fickle, the ever ignorant "self".

Your body serves only the purpose of showing you your true self, which has always been and will never cease to be. The radiant nothing, mere naked awareness. The actual you is infinite and undying. Will a personal sense of self remain after death? I have no idea, and I don't really care either. It is nice that just existing is enough for you. Really all that matters is awareness. Awareness is aware, good enough. If awareness makes a body for itself to realize itself then that's fine, and if the body is unmade then that's fine too. The point is that you are not a body, you are not a collection of thoughts. A body is just there, a thought is just there like the sky and clouds are just there. You are the silence disinterestedly observing. And that never goes away, whether personal or not.

Edited by thatiAM (07/10/06 11:56 PM)

OfflineFospher
Crime FightingMaster Criminal
Male

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: Enlightenment, Self-Realization, Gnosis, Liberation...Who Cares?! [Re: Schwammel]
    #5844729 - 07/11/06 12:16 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Schwammel said:
But who do you give this command to?  And who gives it?

Who is in control!

For the answer to these questions, read the post you replied to.

By knowing you're going to die, you gain an advisor, which is Death. Death, in turn, gives you freedom and a sense of urgency. You no longer think that you have all the time in the world to put off everything for later. You lose such futile concepts such as "self-esteem", cause man, if you're gonna die, who cares what people think of you!  :grin:

Humans work on frequencies. Death is the final resonation.

--------------------
010001100100001001000101!

OfflineTrepiodos
Disgustipated
 User Gallery

Loc: Los Angeles County Jail
    #5845017 - 07/11/06 01:10 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Why should I practice dying? When the time comes, I am sure that I will be quite capable of dying with no practice whatsoever. The practice of living provides more satisfaction. If I have a legacy, it will be in how I lived all the moments of my life, more than the single moment of my death.

--------------------

And as things fell apart,
Nobody paid much attention...

- David Byrne, '(Nothing But) Flowers' from the Talking Heads' album, 'Naked'

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

#5845077 - 07/11/06 01:21 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I thoroughly identify with that vascillation and it's inevitable as we modulate between mind and mindfulness. If I lived in a temple all my life, it would be relatively simple to refrain from experiencing the world as existentially as I typically do as I'm living the worldly flesh machine routine. Tricky thing is, existence is all we have to catalyze our awareness. Ontological notions of the assimilation of self into Source don't really address the moment, so they seem to continually fall away from my path of aspiring to Self-realization.

In a darker period of my life, I made a huge mistake when the realization of death, assimilation of self, (brought on largely by psychadelics)became a path of annihilation, one I thought I would walk to the end. But upon realizing the irony that this existential path wasn't serving me existentially I now seek footing elsewhere. One thing I learned on that path was not to model the infinite on the finite. The confounding of our minds when we attempt to do so is a continual reminder that you can't rationalize your way to infinity. No map leads to the heart.

Silence is the most ready guide, but at times like this, silence is forsaken so that we can reach out to others, press our hearts together and compare experience.

I often feel that the highest grace is our complete inability to fully wrap our minds around the difference (or is it sameness?) between the physicaly embodied self and the Eternal One. Not grace in the sense of a favor or reprieve, but utter beauty, perfection, proportion. The measure is perfect because we already are infinite, we just can't see it from this perspective, and do we really need to? As words spill out further, pure awareness is progressively obscured.

OfflineBasilides
Servent ofWisdom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Crown and Heart
Re: Enlightenment, Self-Realization, Gnosis, Liberation...Who Cares?! [Re: MushmanTheManic]
    #5845706 - 07/11/06 05:04 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

But, as a materialist, I now have a hard time understanding how nihilation of the self could be scary.

Now, personally, I don't see voidness, non-being and nothingness as the entire metaphysical background of our expanding universe. A slightly weighted balloon will become perfectly suspended if submerged in water, while in thin air it will collapse. Unconsiousness/sleep as some people see as a backdrop of their being (before birth and after death) seems to me to be a confusion between conscious states. While there's certainly no scientific proof of post-mortem consciousness, there is also no definitive proof in the notion that consciousness permantently ceases at the dissolution of the physical body. I think people associate unconsciousness as the primacy of their being because unconsciouness is somewhat familiar to everyone (in sleep) despite that sleep itself is merely an altered state of consciousness. Most who I have talked to (materialist mind sets who contended the reality of nothingness) wrongly associated the idea of post-mortem unconsciousness with the state of sleeping, in further conflation with ideas of medical unconsciousness (which are not post-mortem).

--------------------

"Have you found the beginning, then, that you are looking for the end? You see, the end will be where the beginning is. Congratulations to the one who stands at the beginning: that one will know the end and will not taste death."

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Enlightenment, Self-Realization, Gnosis, Liberation...Who Cares?! [Re: Basilides]
    #5845796 - 07/11/06 05:53 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I get the impression that people like to control the ideas in their heads too much
it is like sticking one's head in a bucket.
unique clues are all around and within all the time
dance.
live.
take heads out of the death bucket.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies