Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineVisigoth
enthusiast

normal time to reach 15 psi??
    #583287 - 03/19/02 11:19 AM (22 years, 15 days ago)

Last night I noticed some steam leaking out of my PC where the lid meets the pan. I also noticed from the time I put the lid on after the water was boiling it took a little while to get up to 15 psi. I was wondering how long it is supposed to take since there's a possibility my seal may need replacing. Anyone?? Thanks!!!!

Vis

--------------------
"15 minutes in freezing conditions?!?! You'd become a popsicle before you made that!!!"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: normal time to reach 15 psi?? [Re: Visigoth]
    #583357 - 03/19/02 12:31 PM (22 years, 15 days ago)

After pot comes to a full boil, it takes about 5-8 minutes for my PC to start whistling. But, there is never supposed to be steam coming from lid. that means you have a breach in your rubber ring, therefore your PC is not usable- in my opinion. Steam comes from the little metal guage, so the pot doesn't explode, but leaking from the side will never give you a true 15psi, so you'd do better to lower your gas, and cook longer.

Boiling would do you the same amount of good, in a shallow pan and tight lid for an hour or more.

I'm not a PC expert, but I do use the pot to cook food as well as canning jars, and anyone who uses it will tell you your PC is not a PC anymore becaue of the leak.

Try looking in a houswares store for a new rubber ring, that may solve all of your problems. Hope this helps.

OoD

InvisibleNighted
Ghost

Loc: Funkytown
    #583386 - 03/19/02 01:20 PM (22 years, 15 days ago)

It can take anywhere from 5 - 30 minutes to reach full pressure depending in the size of your pressure cooker.

It can be normal for a bit of steam to escape around the lid before pressure is reached, depending on your PC's design. Your gasket could be old though. The rubber should be soft, not hard. Also it may have shrunk. A temporary fix could be to gently stretch it out as they will shrink over time. You should be able to get a new gasket for a couple bucks if you need a new one. If they don't make them for your model anymore then it's probably time to invest in a new one.

--------------------

Freedom defined is freedom denied.

Nighted is better than Google. Please take time to rate 5/5. Thanks!

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #583431 - 03/19/02 02:16 PM (22 years, 15 days ago)

There is no such thing as a "normal" amount of time. There are too many variables, such as size, amount of jars, initial water temp, altitude, and BTU's of your stove. Probably more that are not coming to mind.

If you need a new ring you can probably get it here:
http://www.pressurecooker-outlet.com/
Another poster here found this link. Don't remember who, but he or she deserves the credit.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineAxias
Stranger
    #583834 - 03/20/02 12:12 AM (22 years, 15 days ago)

I have a 21 quart All-america, metal to metal contact so no gasket, it takes exactly 14 minutes on my cheap gas stove to get to 15psi.
I used to use cheap Wear-ever (15 qt. I think) cookers. It could take up to 30 minutes for those crappy cookers to reach 15 psi. And the gaskets always leaked from day 1 for the two cookers I owned.

InvisibleWakingUpLate
addict
Loc: Born on a mountain, Raise...
    #583879 - 03/20/02 01:24 AM (22 years, 15 days ago)

If your gasket is just hard and not cracked, soak it in some alchohol. That will make it swell a little and soft again like new. It also works for winsheild wipers that have started to skip. Hope that helps.:peace:

Free Spore Ring

--------------------
The rest of those, who have gone before us,
cannot settle the unrest of those who follow.
(Finding Forrester)

Anonymous

Re: normal time to reach 15 psi?? [Re: Axias]
    #584163 - 03/20/02 11:07 AM (22 years, 14 days ago)

Leaky pressure cookers still do the job.

Over and out.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: normal time to reach 15 psi?? [Re: ]
    #584179 - 03/20/02 11:31 AM (22 years, 14 days ago)

>Leaky pressure cookers still do the job.
....of steaming, but not of pressure cooking.

Leaking pressure cookers are crap.

InvisibleUna
controlleddemolition

#584843 - 03/21/02 01:21 AM (22 years, 14 days ago)

This really depends on the size of the cooker and the heating source. A small cooker on a large gas stove should reach 15 psi in 10 minutes or so.

This monster takes about 25 minutes to reach 15 psi on an electrical heating plate:

Leaking pressure cookers are really a pain in the *ss. Always have a spare rubber gasket ready to replace it once it's needed.

--------------------
www.911blogger.com

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags