Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblefour20snakeman
Background Noise
Male

Loc: /\ /\ Right there /\ /\
SMART failure predicted!!!!
    #5836601 - 07/08/06 07:09 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

"SMART failure predicted on hard disk 0: Toshiba MK3021GAS-(PM) WARNING Immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent. Press F1 to continue"

I got this message right after I did a system restore on a laptop, a HP pavillion ze4400, running windows XP home edition version 2002 SP1. it has a mobile AMD Athlon xp2200+ processor.

From what i have read, this means the hard drive may fail anytime between right after seeing the message to never. I have also read reports of the message simply no longer appearing.

Anyone have any suggestions about possible fixes? I need a new hard drive, but don't have the money for one and an operating system at the moment. Any workarounds or options i could try that anyone knows of would be appreciated a hell of a lot.

thanks
snakeman

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMezcal
Re: SMART failure predicted!!!! [Re: four20snakeman]
    #5836723 - 07/08/06 08:00 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

your laptop should have a restore cd that will allow you to reinstall the operating system.

Offlinemonamine
dork
Male

Loc: Florida, US
    #5836825 - 07/08/06 08:39 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Did you run scandisk to see if you have any bad clusters?

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: SMART failure predicted!!!! [Re: monamine]
    #5837861 - 07/09/06 03:40 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

> Anyone have any suggestions about possible fixes?

If money isn't an issue, go have the drive replaced. Any decent computer repair place should be able to image the old drive onto the new.

If money is an issue, start to backup your important stuff and cross your fingers hoping that the drive doesn't fail.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #5837971 - 07/09/06 06:42 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Which software program gave you that warning?

I'd recommend installing the free (as in beer) HDD Health to get a little more information. It monitors the various S.M.A.R.T variables and how they change over time, and IME gives a fairly reliable indicator of when a drive might fail.

Of course, a "SMART failure" could refer to any number of monitored variables, some of them more dangerous to the integrity of your data than others.

Or was the warning message refering to a failure in the SMART monitoring system itself?

InvisibleMushie_Man
Fuck Up

Loc: UK
Re: SMART failure predicted!!!! [Re: OJK]
    #5838254 - 07/09/06 10:31 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I get something like that when i boot, the whole "Your hard disk is shit, replace, press F1 to continue"

It's been like that for some time now, works fine. Besides the fact it only runs at 30GB rather than 80. I have run tests and such, but all seem to come out saying my hard drive is fine.

--------------------
Ecstacy got me standing next to you
Getting sentimental as fuck spillin' guts to you
We just met
But I think I'm in love with you
But you're on it too
So you tell me you love me too
Wake up in the morning like "yo, what the fuck we do?"

InvisibleColonel Kurtz Ph.D
What What?
Male User Gallery
Loc: Shadow Moses
Re: SMART failure predicted!!!! [Re: Mushie_Man]
    #5838353 - 07/09/06 10:54 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Mushie_Man said:
I get something like that when i boot, the whole "Your hard disk is shit, replace, press F1 to continue"

It's been like that for some time now, works fine. Besides the fact it only runs at 30GB rather than 80.

Well I wouldn't call that "working fine", more like "waiting to die", it's a fricking 50GB difference :eek:

--------------------
:whatwhat:

There's no better way to rock out than with your cock out!!

Invisiblefour20snakeman
Background Noise
Male

Re: SMART failure predicted!!!! [Re: Colonel Kurtz Ph.D]
    #5839002 - 07/09/06 02:25 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Before this happened the computer was giving me problems, so i decided to do a system restore. I backed up everything that i absolutly needed, then did the restore. after it was finished and was like a brand new system, i rebooted. when the computer first came on after the restart, it gave me this error. Im guessing whatever the SMART error is telling me, is what caused me to have the problems in the first place.

the CD's that i have are system restore discs. from what i have been told, i cant use them to install windowson a new hard drive.

Last night when i got home, i ran chkdsk. i ticked both options and ran it on restart. it didn't find any problems.

it wasn't software that gave me the warning, it comes up when i first turn the computer on. so i'm guessing it is a bios/cmos error message. i'm not very informed about that part of the computer.

i'm gonna download HDD health, and put it on the laptop to see what it says.

Invisiblefour20snakeman
Background Noise
Male

#5839051 - 07/09/06 02:46 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I ran HDD health, and it says no problems. oh well, im just not gonna put anything really important on the laptop until i get the funds to get a new hard drive. that way if it does blow its load, no loss.

Invisiblesupercollider
superconducting

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Waxahachie
    #5839070 - 07/09/06 02:52 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Forget about any kind of "fix" for a hard drive, it's way cheaper to replace them. I'd just do like the message says if I were you--back stuff up, wait for it to die, replace it if/when it does. All good operating systems are free, BTW.

--------------------
Supercollider? I just met her!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale