Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | Next >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: all you need to know about psilocybin / psilocin extraction. [Re: Tomandjerry58]
    #5816064 - 07/03/06 01:43 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Your figures are still off...

1 shot = 1.5 US fluid ounces.
1.5 US fluid ounces = 44.3602945 cc

Most shot glasses hold a little more for about 47.5cc. At least that's what my standard shotglass held.

-FF

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: all you need to know about psilocybin / psilocin extraction. [Re: fastfred]
    #5816099 - 07/03/06 01:52 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

> You also can't correlate dosages by grams of product used after the extraction.

Why can't you? If you use a standard procedure then the only variable would be the amount of starting material.

> Heating is to boil off the alcohol and reduce the volume.

Geko127 suggested boiling for 10-15 min in alcohol as the extraction method. My comment was with respect to that.

-FF

OfflineRogerRabbitV
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Re: all you need to know about psilocybin / psilocin extraction. [Re: fastfred] * 1
    #5816512 - 07/03/06 04:02 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

You're definitely losing when you do an extraction. For maximum efficiency, eat fresh mushies. Those who soon find they are overwhelmed with too many mushrooms are those who would benefit from doing an extraction.

As for how many trips in a qp, that's purely subjective. Some of us like a nice buzz, while others want to climb a screaming volcano naked to meet god. The extraction lets you do that without puking.

I boil for several hours to reduce all that to a shotglass. Remember, alcohol boils at a much lower temperature than water. The water in your pan will barely have any steam coming off it, but the jar of everclear will be in a full boil.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleTomandjerry58
Stranger
    #5817534 - 07/03/06 08:25 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

thanks for clearing that up for me
Quote:

fastfred said:
Your figures are still off...

1 shot = 1.5 US fluid ounces.
1.5 US fluid ounces = 44.3602945 cc

Most shot glasses hold a little more for about 47.5cc. At least that's what my standard shotglass held.

-FF

InvisibleShnezbit
Psycho-naught
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Threshold.
    #5818594 - 07/04/06 01:25 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

fast red said"I mean WTF? You didn't even bother to measure your dose? That's not very smart. It seems strange to me that people who's measurement skills wouldn't even cut it in the kitchen feel the need to concentrate an already potent psychoactive further."

well i did bother to measure my dose. my logic was that i used 10 grams to 1 cup of grain alcohol. after the straining process i saw that the fluid in the bottle measure 7 quarter inches by the ruler. I figured 1 quarter inch would be close to a grams effect and i even expected it to be less than a grams effect because i believe potency:amount is lost in the extraction process, something i learned from doing lsa extractions.

i apprectiate people finally chiming in on this because i think its an excellent idea.

so rr if i am not concerned with reducing the alcohol amount then the heating step can be avoided? is there any other reason for doing that step than to lesson the amount of alcohol?

i have alot of old mushies coffee ground and packed tightly in tiny jars so this seems like a good way to make use of them.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: all you need to know about psilocybin / psilocin extraction. [Re: Shnezbit]
    #5818605 - 07/04/06 01:30 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

> I figured 1 quarter inch would be close to a grams effect

Back when I was dosing we always used 3 hog heads to the rod, and that's just the way I liked it.

-FF

OfflineJSshroom
dont be paranoid, just aware

Loc: I love that spore drop
    #5820595 - 07/04/06 04:13 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

well what is the boiling point of everclear and i have read the heat potency discussion in a number of threads. It all seems inconclusive and subjective other then the oxidation of psilocilin. theres a link to that thread in my journal. I guess what I am asking is if you did just leave the alcohol out overnight or even in the freezer it would evaporate overtime, and you would avoid the possible potency loss. I wish we had more proof of what heat affects for different strains because I am all for High temperatures but if its gonna further take away the potency of an already diluted psychadelic then I would just fan dry. I just do not have pounds laying around. For those of you that do have pounds laying around why dont you buy a small deep freeze they are only 200 give or take.

--------------------
First Grow No more carpet tek

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: all you need to know about psilocybin / psilocin extraction. [Re: JSshroom]
    #5820649 - 07/04/06 04:33 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Just vacuum distill, or better yet throw it into a rotovap! You'll have it concentrated down to 3 hog heads to the rod in no time!

You do have a spare rotovap laying around don't you?

-FF

OfflineJSshroom
dont be paranoid, just aware

Loc: I love that spore drop
    #5820804 - 07/04/06 05:26 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

UM... well I come from the Panhandle US and Thats a pretty redneck place, but I have never heard the expression 3 hog heads to the rod?

dont know what a rotovap is either. vacuum distill?

My next grow should be 2+ pounds so I thought I would make some of this stuff up for fun.

--------------------
First Grow No more carpet tek

OfflineTheBotanist
Stranger
Re: all you need to know about psilocybin / psilocin extraction. [Re: JSshroom]
    #5822783 - 07/05/06 08:19 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I would highly recomend a electric stove if there is going to be any boiling of alchohol. boiled Flamable everclear=hot flamable gas that could explode. It used to happen to distillers all the time before modernization.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: all you need to know about psilocybin / psilocin extraction. [Re: TheBotanist]
    #5826459 - 07/06/06 03:07 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

> I come from the Panhandle US and Thats a pretty redneck place, but I have never heard the expression 3 hog heads to the rod?

Really? There are lot's of places that call themselves the panhandle. Would that be Florida? Anyway I can't believe you've never used hog heads to the rod before!

It's a good way to specify ratios, linear distance, volume, weight, square and cubic measurements, even density and mass in a totally incomprehensible and nonsensical way. Your sarcasm detector must only be working at 2 hog heads to the rod efficiency.

Vacuum distilling is using a still setup that has a vacuum adapter on it so that you can boil your solvent off at much reduced temperature using reduced pressure. A rotovap is the same thing except it has a round bottom flask at the base which is immersed in a water bath and spins to spread the solvent over a large surface area.

So if you had either of those you could remove your solvent at low temperatures. Otherwise you have to use heat or wait until the solvent evaps at normal temps. Either of which will result in some product being lost.

So, yeah it would be nice to avoid heat, but unless you have some nice glass and an aspirator or vac pump then there's no way around it.

-FF

Invisibled4a2n0k
The Dude
Male User Gallery

#5836475 - 07/08/06 06:31 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

AFOAF did this extraction and when he needed to reduce the amount of alcohol he set it in front of a fan in a flat Pyrex baking dish. It only took about an hour or two. There was a noticeable dip in potency over plain dried, but barely noticeable. He put in 30g and final liquid was 30ml, so 1ml=1g in theory. But it wasn't quite cut and dry like that. He found 1.25-1.5ml=1g

--------------------
Row, row, row your boat,
Gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
Life is but a dream.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: all you need to know about psilocybin / psilocin extraction. [Re: d4a2n0k]
    #5836508 - 07/08/06 06:39 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

But how many inches was it?

Offlinebreasticle
Stranger
    #5859338 - 07/14/06 07:36 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

fastfred, I just want to say that I love how, when all of us say and do stupid things (

Offlinebreasticle
Stranger
Re: all you need to know about psilocybin / psilocin extraction. [Re: breasticle]
    #5859363 - 07/14/06 07:39 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

what happened to the rest of my post??

I meant to say that I love it when you cut through our bullshit and put us in our places. My all time favorite was your comment on the

Offlinebreasticle
Stranger
Re: all you need to know about psilocybin / psilocin extraction. [Re: breasticle]
    #5859367 - 07/14/06 07:40 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I give up.

Invisibletoole
white-thumb (Onewhackmycophiliac)
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: spore #1203 - bas 2.34 - ...
    #5859374 - 07/14/06 07:41 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Hahhaha I saw those posts accumulate..good try breasticle,

better luck next time.

Keep on posting ! Hahaha  ... *trying to at least :wink:

--------------------
-the adventures of suse and prescott.9-

..and the neverending triscut of doom !

Offlinegeko127
Demolition Man
 User Gallery

Loc: Wonderland
Re: all you need to know about psilocybin / psilocin extraction. [Re: toole]
    #5868235 - 07/17/06 04:27 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

SShheesshhhh, Ethanol boils around 75-dregrees C, And once the initial extraction is done then it is better to proceed with reducing the amount of alky.

Its as simple as that, Do ya dam hoe work.

--------------------
LIFE IS A BITCH, AND THEN YOU MARRY ONE.

BUT SUCH IS LIFE !

Offlinegeko127
Demolition Man
 User Gallery

Loc: Wonderland
Re: all you need to know about psilocybin / psilocin extraction. [Re: geko127]
    #5872299 - 07/18/06 03:44 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Hear's a how to make ya own ROTO VAP. :cool:

First the Instructions. :wink:

Commercial rotary evaporators employing glass components throughout are available only as single units; multiple-unit commercial evaporators having metallic parts are subject to corrosion and may cause sample contamination. To overcome these disadvantages, a four-unit, all-glass apparatus has been constructed. This apparatus has performed satisfactorily for more than a year with periodic cleaning and oiling of the metal parts and chains and lubrication of the ball joints.

Design. Only a single unit is illustrated with a sectional view of the rotating glass connector. The sample flask, A, with a std. raper 24/40 joint Is connected to the rotating Pyrex glass connector, B. A vacuum seal is maintained by a 20/35 spherical joint, C, which is connected to the side arm of a Friedrichs condenser, D, modified so that the side arm, carrying a 20/35 female spherical joint, is inclined at 15: below horizontal. D is connected via a 24/40 joint to the receiver flask, E. A three-way stopcock, F, is attached to the receiver side arm, and also connects to the vacuum line or to the atmosphere.

The rotating connector, B, is mounted within a brass sleeve, G, (1-in. inside diam.) and is secured by a tight-fitting rubber sleeve, H, which is cemented in place. Two ball races, J, are mounted on each sleeve to reduce wobble, and are in turn mounted in bracket K. A 1/2-in. diam. side arm, L, on each bracket is attached to a vertical 1/2-in. support rod via a clamp. This allows the rotation of the connector assembly to any desired angle. The multiple unit is chain-driven by a motor mounted at one end at 15: below horizontal. Each unit is coupled to the preceding one. Three of the units have 2 sprockets, M, on sleeve G, and the last unit, a single sprocket. The four units are appropriately driven at 57 r.p.m. by a motor delivering about 131 in./lb. torque.

A thermostatically controlled water bath, N, is mounted to the rear of the units. Vertical support rods are mounted on a base board 4.5 in. apart, and cross-braced for rigidity. To these are attached clamps for supporting the condensers and receiving flasks. This spacing permits the use of flasks up to 500-ml. capacity.

In operation, a rotating vacuum seal is maintained at the spherical joint by a high temp. vacuum grease (e.g., Apiezon T). Std. ball (20/35) joints were selected in order to avoid constricting the vapor path between the flask and condenser. joints of such a size, however, require a torque of about 20 in./lb. for rotation under vacuum, when cold and lubricated with Apiezon T.

:cool:

And the link with the PIC.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g218/Geko127/rotavap.gif
:grin:Enjoy Shroomers

--------------------
LIFE IS A BITCH, AND THEN YOU MARRY ONE.

BUT SUCH IS LIFE !

Edited by geko127 (07/18/06 03:45 AM)

OfflineShampioenier
Storm in aTeaCup
 User Gallery

Loc: Milky Way Galaxy
Re: all you need to know about psilocybin / psilocin extraction. [Re: geko127]
    #5883774 - 07/21/06 07:17 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

what the heaven is a rotovap?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | Next >

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale