Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
The Music of San Francisco (MJ in 1966-1968)
    #5828742 - 07/06/06 06:18 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Well I got around to finally posting some images of concerts I attended when I lived in San Francisco in the late 1960s.

Some of these groups are still around and some are not. Lee Michaels was also a favorite band to see and 13th Floor Elevator was awesome.

Enjoy. From my library of psychedelia.

Winterland (Later Fillmore ballroom)

The Fillmore West use to be the carousel Ballroom:

At this one Vanilla Fudge sang "You Keep ME Hangin' On."

Buffalo Springfield without Neil Young who joined the Byrds at the Monterey Pop in July of 1967.

This was a most awesome show and the first time I heard Credence Clearwater Rivval and joh Fogerty's foggy voice on stage in person.

One of my all time favorites. Grace Slick and the Great Society adn White Rabbit was most powerful trip on Acid (1000) mics. 4 purple flats of (250 mics each). I loved the Airplane and Starship progresion

When Clapton and the Yardbyrds hit San Francisco, this was the only concert I ever had to stand up in the theratre to see the show. They were so expected to be great and they were.

Generally there were no seats and you could sit ont he floor int eh front of the stage and people in the rear danced. BUt the show was so packed to see them we had to stand to see the stage. Pot and acid were passed around and everyone was together. Country Joe was so cool.. I should mentiont hat these concerts ranged in pricce form $2.00 to $3.50 and the bands all played two sets to three sets and played form * PM until 2 AM in the morn, Five to six clubs in San Francisco every night of the week so the music was like light. IT was constant.

Oh My God! ALvin Lee and Ten Years After. What a fucking hot show this one was and the guitar work of Lee was phenomenal. I did not go to this Steve Miller show, although in his early music he played mostly guitar and harmonica and did not sing to much.

Finally the crene of the crop. Pinkl Floyd and Lee Michaels.

They did their Piper at the Gates of Dawn and A ASaucer Full of Secrets music. And Lee Michaels opened with songs form his hit album Barrel. Michaels was awesome small group with good sound. My first introduction to Pink Floyd. I was in Awe.

One of the best ever conceerts of my 2 and a 1/4 years int he haight.

Quicksilver Messenger Service did the Fool, Babe, Im Gonna Leave You and Buffy St. Marie's song, Codeine. I first saw Quicksiver play in Golden Gate Park. In fact everyone group at this New Year's Eve show had played mor months free in the park. Also Had the Grateful Dead at this show and Santana who did Black MAgic M Woman and other songs form his album.

Once again Pink Flody, not as memorable a show, but Janis Joplin fell onthe stage trwice while consuming Southern Comfort in between performances. Was rather irritating, like watching Jim Morrison fall on the stage.

So there is a brief flashback form the past and a deja vu of things which happened before and again.

mjshroomer

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePinballWizard
Naive and Gullible as usual

Re: The Music of San Francisco (MJ in 1966-1968) [Re: mjshroomer]
    #5828826 - 07/06/06 06:38 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Screw everyone else, how was the Who at the Fillmore?

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: The Music of San Francisco (MJ in 1966-1968) [Re: PinballWizard]
    #5829279 - 07/06/06 08:27 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

The Who are always awesome. Boris the Spider, I can See for miles, etc.

However, I first saw them in person at the Monterey Pop Festival in 1967. I had a press pass from Derek Taylor, who was a friend of my Boss, Al Mitchell. Al owned the Fifth Estate Coffee House on Sunset Blvd on LA, up a few blocks from Pandora's box.

Al Mitchell was the man who helped organize and set up the teenage curfew protests which later becamed labeled as the Sunset Strip riots. He sent me up their to cover the festival for the L.A. Underground, a newspaper he started after Art Kunkin moved his LA free Press from the basement of the Coffee house down to somewhere on La Brea and Fairfax or there abouts. Near Fosters Blue Grotto Coffee house.

I was in the front of the stage with my camera. The group Association was sitting directly behind me on folding chairs. I was stoned on Owlsley acid and The who were just ending their theme song, My Generation when I saw Townsend yell, 'mother fucker' as he slamed his guitar down about two feet in front of my face, direcly on the stage in front of me. John Entwhisle was beating on his base strings like nothing was happening. Roger Daltry was swinging his microphone around on the cord and eventually he slammed it into the large drum that Keith moon was beggining to kick around. Then Towndsend was ramming his guitar body against the speakers so the feedback was riviting and reverberating to his movements. HE kept placing the guitar body into the speakers. Smokle bombs were going off and I was freaking out. I thought, "oh my god. They are freaking out and the whole concert is going to fall apart and we are all going to jail."

Then I saw security running back and forth across the stage and smoke bombs still smoking the stage and tv camera crews scramblin for safety. Then Scott MacKenzie (If Your Going to San Francisco fame) walked out ont the stage to the microphone and whispered thickly into the mic, "And now the Greatefull Dead. I begin to shutter.

Everyone was laughing at the Who's fantastic finale. They smashed their instruments to bits. Through pieces of their equiptment to the audience. I had a Keith Moon Drum Stick for about twnetry years. SOmeone stole it form me in Hawaii.

The singers from the Association (Cherish and Along Comes Mary), behind me had all laughed so much that they fell back in their folding chairs onto the people sitting directly behind them. It was awesome and I will never forget it.

Later I was standing on the side of the stage with Dave Crosby, Michelee Philips and Mama Cass while Hendrix played his national anthem and burned his guitar.

Awesome and one of the most memorable three days of my life.

I also saw the Beattles three times which the first l time led to me recording my record with them.

mj

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Afghanistan Flag
    #5829330 - 07/06/06 08:41 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Wow man, that's awesome.

--------------------

OfflinePinballWizard

#5829817 - 07/06/06 10:39 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Fucking incredible. That definately sounds like their MO.

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #5829946 - 07/06/06 11:13 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I partied with Whom last night.

--------------------

OfflinePinballWizard

Re: The Music of San Francisco (MJ in 1966-1968) [Re: HELLA_TIGHT]
    #5829952 - 07/06/06 11:14 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Wham!? Did you get head from Michaels?

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #5829977 - 07/06/06 11:19 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

No, but he tried to stick his finger inside of me.

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #5830310 - 07/07/06 01:20 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Would that be George Michaels or Michael Jackson?

No but every teenybopper I took to a show came home with and stoned with me on acid and pot and good all night sex.

In the 1960s, every chick on the street regardless of 17 04 25 ewas a teenybopper. Many airheads. They come and go. Rainbow gathering material.

So many copuples come to gatherings together and leave with other partners other than what they came with.

That use to happen at concerts. Some chicks wouold play easy to get to get a ticket to the shows, although the shows were cheap and then get in and disappear on on you.

Other times you could pick up one or to to go home with, sometimes we would go home with the bands for after parties liekt he dead's house on Ashbury.

have a shroomy day, mj

It was the best of times. Acid was 50 cents a dose or free most of the time if you lived there. Good Aculpulco Gold was $10.00 bucks and ounce. Went a long way.. Two days later you bought another bag. Kilos were $40.00. Life was easy and girls were free and many.

I am on a mid-age life adventure in deja vu memories and it isn't memorex.

Offlinedumlovesyou
retired shroomer
 User Gallery

Loc: One dimension
    #5830558 - 07/07/06 04:59 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Great post MJ. I am transported back to hippy era. By the way. I still got your camera. :smile: I'll post some pics maybe.

--------------------
I see trees of green, psylocibe mushrooms too
I see them bloom for me and you
And I think to myself what a wonderful world

InvisibleTippinthru
contented

Loc: "The Garden"...
    #5830677 - 07/07/06 06:28 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Awesome Library MJ! The artwork alone is a trip in itself... Still love the sounds of most the artists displayed in your library. A bit before my time to be able to attend a concert in that era, however, my sisters were partaking part of the enjoyment! Thanks for the nostalgia!  :slomo:

--------------------
Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time...
[

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: The Music of San Francisco (MJ in 1966-1968) [Re: Tippinthru]
    #5830712 - 07/07/06 07:04 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

What was nice about these concerts was the price to see them and the amount of music they gave you for your dollar.

Today they are so expensive and 20,000 to 80,000 people and you cannot see them and the cost today is phenomenal.

I recently sa Chicago at the paramount in Seattle and my seat was in the balcony. The actors looked like one in high people and they only had a few hundred pairs of binoculars for the 1700 seat theatre. Very hard to se anything.

mj

OfflineHeadTripVertigo
at least I'm housebroken
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5832999 - 07/07/06 06:55 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

man...you saw the yardbirds with Jimmy Page? shit man, that's great.

--------------------
TACOS LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale