Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineegodeathparade
person-likesubstance.
Male

Loc: east coast.
dunk & roll, great pinning...expected aborts?
    #5826836 - 07/06/06 07:40 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

dunked and rolled two cakes from my first batch of jars, just to see. my gawd! wish i had dunked/rolled the rest, and i wish i still had my digital camera, will probably go get one today. no less than 40 little guys on a single half-pint. should i expect a certain percentage of these to abort pretty soon? wondering what would be average, or do they vary randomly? are they a more a factor of environmental conditions (temp, humidity, air exchange) or a factor of nutrients & water available in the cake. i'm guessing both, but wondering if there is decent info. one post i read said humidity, one said certain strains just abort more, etc. would definitely like to keep as many of them growing as possible, even though i know some aborts are inevitable (and potent!) maybe i'm just being a pessimist about the whole abort thing.

my first attempts at growing a few years back never saw anything like this...stepping up from perlite & fanning to tropicaire humidifier/air exchanger & perlite already seems to have doubled the yield on the non-dunked cakes, or else i just did something else uh, righter. :-)

~j.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: dunk & roll, great pinning...expected aborts? [Re: egodeathparade]
    #5827004 - 07/06/06 09:15 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

how many of them grow depends on 1) moisture content 2) nutrient availability 3) growing parameters and 4) strain to a very small extent

you got 1 covered as best as you can for a cake by dunking.

2, you can only do so much with a cake.  there's gonna be some aborts.

and 3 is where you can keep working on, to make sure conditions are optimal.

4, well just don't worry about that. :smile:  some strains do fruit more prolifically than others, some do abort more than others... but remember a chosen "strain" just describes a general set of characteristics, if you started from spores you've got a cournicopia of genetics all over the place and they're all technically unique - and not in your control.  genetics matter so little here, that if you were to clone an abort it very well would be a regular fruiting strain later.  its more the struggle for moisture and "resources" and the mechanism that causes some to abort and not others isn't totally understood.

don't be a pessimist about it... be glad there's pins at all! :smile:  it doesn't matter as much as you think it does.  if 39 of them abort and 1 grows, that 1 is gonna be huge.  if all 40 of them grow, you're going to end up with 40 thin stemmed little twig mushroom minis.  chances are its gonna fall in between, so don't sweat it, and it overall yield turns out as its gonna turn out regardless.  (long story short: it doesn't matter much!)

the fact that you're getting more pins now than you have before means you're doing something right!  keep it up and take those steps towards casings, where by using more substrate mass and a casing layer that provides additional moisture, you can end up keeping more of those pins from aborting - and allow them to grow bigger even when there's lots of them.

OfflineSDP
ChronicAficionado
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: dunk & roll, great pinning...expected aborts? [Re: egodeathparade]
    #5827005 - 07/06/06 09:15 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

You shouldn't plan on getting a LOT of aborts... to prevent getting some, make sure you have plenty of frequent air exchange and not too high of a humidity. Just keep an eye on the inside of the FC to make sure it isn't getting too "soggy"... Don't spray the pins directly with water. MAKE SURE THERE IS PLENTY OF FAE! Still fan it as often as possible... Should be good to go!! Good luck!  :crazy2: :mushroom2:

-SDP :rasta:

--------------------
Teonanacatl, open up my eyes
This sacrament, this prayer, beyond the world of lies
Guide me clearly through that which I dont understand
Give me strength to find the path
Help me fight any demons as you flow through me wholely
This is my prayer, that you protect me from evil, and bring me closer to peace
And open up my eyes, so i can see things as you do
Amen

Edited by SDP (07/06/06 09:16 AM)

OfflineMLBjammer
Invitro Freak
Male User Gallery

Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: dunk & roll, great pinning...expected aborts? [Re: SDP]
    #5827049 - 07/06/06 09:36 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Cakes will do best with 100% humidity through the entire growth cycle. IME you will get a few big boomers, some smaller and a few aborts from cakes. But like CC said, any pinning is a blessing, as it does not have to happen at all. I love the aborts same as the beatiful mature shrooms. As long as it all adds up to happy tripping (and you get addicted to mycology), it is all good. Peace.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: dunk & roll, great pinning...expected aborts? [Re: MLBjammer]
    #5827091 - 07/06/06 09:58 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

> Cakes will do best with 100% humidity through the entire growth cycle.

It's not good for them to get rained on.

-FF

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom