Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
This thread is very old and might contain outdated or inaccurate information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebeatnicknick
The Innovator
Male User Gallery

Is there any bacteria that can live in harmony with cake?
    #5826535 - 07/06/06 05:45 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I have 12 jars incubating.  They all had this smell, a very mild smell that I could only smell when my nose was up to a jar-hole, that was almost a footy smell, but not quite. I let the jars go. Sure enough, 5 of them, despite a temperature spike I had thought killed them all, spread mycelium.

Now my five jars are at 30%, 30%, 10%, 20%, 20% in there mycelium growth. It seems that some of the colonizing jars smell have weekened, or even died. Some of my other non colonizing jars took on this sour-sweet apple smell that I immediatly disposed of, for I had knew, and quite certainly, that 'twas bacteria!

Now I have only two noncolonizing jars that remain footy smelling, as the rest were appley, and the other five smell lightly of foot if anything. I cannot figure out if its bacteria, and why my mycelium is growing even if the process is S-L-O-W.

Thank you for your time, enjoy the rest of you modern-day squabbles!  :blush:

--------------------
I don't think for myself. I think as though I'm explaining my thoughts to someone else. I'm concerned only for those listening.

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Offlinebeatnicknick
The Innovator
Male User Gallery

Re: Is there any bacteria that can live in harmony with cake? [Re: beatnicknick]
    #5828901 - 07/06/06 08:54 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

UPDATE: Transferred the two 10%ers whos growth had stopped probably due to that footy smelling bacteria, to two mycobags that had no growth from a previous inoculation. Transfer was sloppy with an earthy smelling mycobag, transfer was professional with a footy smelling mycobag, and I wish it had been the oppisite, to at least ensure one. I sprayed them all with some 60/40 water/peroxide, hopefully killing the bacteria in the footy smelling bag, hopefully killing any contamination in the earthy smelling bag with a horrible transfer (piece of myc fell on desk that was not sterilized, I stupidly continued the transfer after spraying the myc with more h202)

The three remaining jars growth is even more stunted, my question: if I tranfer the myc to new clean sterilized and h202 sprayed jars, would whatever was in the other jars stunting the growth of these remain in the new jars? I would think not, because if the myc could colonize some of the substrate the bad stuff must not have been in it.

I would transfer to another mycobag because the transfer is so easy, but my last mycobag that wasn't growing BOOOMED with growth today. If all goes well, I'll have two colonized mycobags of the transferred cambodians, one colonized bag of nontransferred Koh Samui, and three (transferred or not transferred depends on how they look tomorow) colonized jars of cambodian. Worst case scenario (i hope) I lose 3 of the 6 potential fruiters, I should still be able to pull in a 10 dried grams!

Sorry for telling my life story. I just want it all down so I have everything organized.

--------------------
I don't think for myself. I think as though I'm explaining my thoughts to someone else. I'm concerned only for those listening.

Invisiblemonstermitch
Growing in Bags Doesn't Work

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Arizona Bay Flag
Re: Is there any bacteria that can live in harmony with cake? [Re: beatnicknick]
    #5831680 - 07/07/06 03:26 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I just tried an experiment on sixty jars.
all had some bacterial infection.
some were 10% colonized with mycelium,
some were 98% colonized with mycelium.

I seperated out the large chunks of mycelium and
cleaned them up a bit.

I spawned the mycelium to some coir and straw into
a couple of monotubs.

I have a feeling it will work out just fine.

I cleaned the mycelium up with a light bleach solution,
an iodine solution, and a peroxide solution.

I wish you luck.

don't try something like this with mold though.
those spores will get you in the long run.

--------------------

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Is there any bacteria that can live in harmony with cake? [Re: monstermitch]
    #5833113 - 07/07/06 09:30 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

When in doubt... throw it out! Don't transfer it to more substrate!

Your posts kind of lost me... Are you doing some sort of symbiosis experiment or are you trying to grow mushrooms?

Someone cited Stamet's GGMM saying that he's listed a few types of bacteria that grow well with mushrooms without causing problems. Pseudomonas and some others I think.

-FF

Offlinebeatnicknick
The Innovator
Male User Gallery

Re: Is there any bacteria that can live in harmony with cake? [Re: fastfred]
    #5834184 - 07/08/06 04:03 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for both your inputs, I cant' believe you sat through that rambling.  I'll try to keep this short.  I shouldn't have even added that sentence, it only made it longer.

Anyway- I'll update you.  The three jars I had left that were slow growing and footy? Well one of them I took out and put into a crappy side FC just to see what'd go down. It's only a half cake. My hope is that I can get at least one measly mushrooms from it that I can get spores from so I don't have to buy another cambodian syringe. The other two jars still sit, growing slowly if anything at all.  I'll be taking the bigger of the two and mushing up its mycelium in water and using that water to inoculate some new fresh jars :smile: YAY!  It's all about survival of the next cambodian generation with me.

Is it okay if I put h202 in that water? Wont kill the mycelium, will it?

As for the two transferred mycelium bags, I think neither of them will make it, one of them I can no longer find the mycelium even after mushing it around a whole lot, and it looks contaminated, and the other I can see the big mound of mycelium on the top has grown little or not at all, and the rest of the crap also looks kind of contaminated. But I wont risk mushing that one around, it might be good.

The final, properly inoculated mycobag of Koh Samui is almost fully colonized. HOOORAY! Why couldn't it have been cambodian? I NEED MY CAMBODIANS TO SURVIVE!

I've got a few chances. The half eaten cake growing in a crap FC, the mycelium liquid that I'll be making as soon as I get a new batch of substrate for my jars, and the sort of contaminated looking bag that had its mycelium transferred from a jar.

--------------------

Edited by beatnicknick (07/08/06 04:12 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies